• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I finished up school last week and have had to finish up work&friends before leaving the country tomorrow goddamnit!

mercviper

we9BwXw.png

Ggs superrobot

Oops, I kept that in from Ray's template, but didn't check the options. 7 days should be enough!

I accidentally set my game to the max time out of habit, this game with besada is taking forever. Haha.

He's at 40 days left already, while I'm still at 44. So far we have placed 2 dudes in round 1. Hah.

kestrel3d

Neo Member
I feel like I'm getting pummeled in waterdeep right now--it's a bad sign to have no plan. Pretty much every turn is me thinking "what the hell am I going to pull out of my ass this time..."

Heel

Yeah, I played through my first Waterdeep game last night. I was given two required quests in the first round against two of the easy AI and never recovered lol. Practice makes perfect I guess, but that was pretty evil.

Yeah, I played through my first Waterdeep game last night. I was given two required quests in the first round against two of the easy AI and never recovered lol. Practice makes perfect I guess, but that was pretty evil.

I remember a bit of discussion elsewhere where people found the Easy AIs were very tough and wondered if the Hard AIs and Easy AIs were swapped.

I lost the tutorial too but I might try them out again after having a few games under my belt.

Heel

I remember a bit of discussion elsewhere where people found the Easy AIs were very tough and wondered if the Hard AIs and Easy AIs were swapped.

I lost the tutorial too but I might try them out again after having a few games under my belt.

Ah, interesting.

Yeah, I got 2nd in the tutorial game. This was my first game on my own. For some reason I didn't get the tutorial achievement either, unless there's more to do somewhere?

Heel

App News: Through the Ages and Galaxy Trucker Videos

Very cool how they're making an asynchronous version of Galaxy Trucker if you want to go that route. It looks like Through the Ages moving away from Codito will be worth the wait, too. They clearly understand what the market is asking for. Goko, pay attention please...lol.

Also, Pocket Tactics should have an interview with Playdek up sometime today. Curious to see what's on deck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So many good games coming out in the next month. I really wish Le Havre was done by Playdek or anyone else (except BDC, maybe). That game is a lot of fun but I guess the async is broken.

Heel

I think a lot of board games on the App Store would definitely benefit from an overhaul / "do over" like Small World 2. Maybe it'd make people angry, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kickstarters to revitalize middling implementations of great games.

But yeah, I guess that's easier said than done.

Slacker

I think a lot of board games on the App Store would definitely benefit from an overhaul / "do over" like Small World 2. Maybe it'd make people angry, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kickstarters to revitalize middling implementations of great games.

But yeah, I guess that's easier said than done.

It'd be easier to just convince Playdek to remake every game. Maybe they can do a hostile takeover of Big Daddy Creations. :D

Glad to see Small World 2 coming out for our non iOS buddies. Hopefully DoW will get back to coding Ticket to Ride expansions for us. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What I don't get is that original Carcassonne from years ago had chat. Awesome glorious async chat.

WHAT GODLY LOST FEAT OF ENGINEERING DID THEY USE TO PULL THIS OFF? Because it seems like almost no games since have it. Unless you count BDC's jank live-only chat or the horrible Twitter garbage in Lost cities. (From the same developer WTFFFFFFFF.)

Heel

What's on the horizon that you guys are looking forward to playing?

Off the top of my head, all of these are supposed to be due sooner than later:

Dominion
Settlers of Catan multiplayer update
Quarriors!
Suburbia
Galaxy Trucker

Also curious to see what Campfire Creations (Stone Age) are up to. They've been very quiet.

What I don't get is that original Carcassonne from years ago had chat. Awesome glorious async chat.

WHAT GODLY LOST FEAT OF ENGINEERING DID THEY USE TO PULL THIS OFF? Because it seems like almost no games since have it. Unless you count BDC's jank live-only chat or the horrible Twitter garbage in Lost cities. (From the same developer WTFFFFFFFF.)

I could've sworn there was a new chat API for iOS 7. I believe that'd require developers to drop iOS 6 compatibility, though, which is probably not smart for business at the moment. But yeah, that's not even a requirement to just do it themselves. Shrug.

Also, wasn't Playdek supposed to be launching their cross-game platform that includes a chat system? Hope that's still happening.

kestrel3d

Neo Member
Not having reasonable chat is such a glaring omission in otherwise great iOS games. The one in carc is perfect, it would add a ton to my enjoyment of many of these games if carc-style chat was implemented. It drives me crazy!!

kestrel3d

Neo Member
I do like playdek's time limits on games but it does lead to some funkiness with player ratings. I just played a pair of games a couple of days ago and royally screwed up both of them--kept getting mixed up between games and ended up with begging cards (!) in each of them. Amazingly, though, both of my opponents ran out of time so I still won both games...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Suburbia single-player campaign is lots of fun so far. I don't know if GC sorts by people who own the game but invite me to async games pls.

I will buy it tonight when I get home. Let's play!

Edit:

Ok bought suburbia! No idea how to play it but I'm down for some mp.

Also, sorry Astro! I didn't know you started that eclipse game, I missed your invite :(

Smiley90

Played through the tutorial and first mission in Suburbia, already in love. The theme is just godlike. (To me, at least. I love anything involving city/country/empire-building because I loooooooove Civilization. Well, I love Civ because I love the theme, but you get the idea.)

Smiley90

Goddamnit lol.

I fail the Indianapolis challenge like 10 times in a row, and the one time I'm gonna win it the city scrolls out of the central view by accident RIGHT BEFORE THE LAST TILE and I have no way of getting it back in focus and finishing the challenge. Fuuuuuuck. That's a bug, isn't it.... You shouldn't be able to completely lose your city out of focus without a re-center option. :( i'vet ried scrolling everywhere :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Goddamnit lol.

I fail the Indianapolis challenge like 10 times in a row, and the one time I'm gonna win it the city scrolls out of the central view by accident RIGHT BEFORE THE LAST TILE and I have no way of getting it back in focus and finishing the challenge. Fuuuuuuck. That's a bug, isn't it.... You shouldn't be able to completely lose your city out of focus without a re-center option. :( i'vet ried scrolling everywhere :(

The scrolling is a little weird but I've never had a game-killing bug. Just usually you have to either pinch out or start dragging from a specific part of the screen (bottom third maybe?). Besides that wonkiness the game is amazing. Hope the async works well. The single player is tons of fun and that's maybe the only time you'll ever hear me say that about a non-co-op iOS board game.

Smiley90

The scrolling is a little weird but I've never had a game-killing bug. Just usually you have to either pinch out or start dragging from a specific part of the screen (bottom third maybe?). Besides that wonkiness the game is amazing. Hope the async works well. The single player is tons of fun and that's maybe the only time you'll ever hear me say that about a non-co-op iOS board game.

Nope, no pinching, zooming, scrolling, whatever i do works. The city is just.... Gone :(

Top Bottom