• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ce-le-brate good times, come on!

mfkHfdsl.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Actually fwiw I didn't find that Medium and Hard that much more challenging than the others. There were a few tricky cities for sure that took me 5+ tries though. And it's funny how different the single-player is than the multi-player where there's a decent amount of interactivity between cities because of some of the tile effects. In the SP I found it useful for almost every challenge to ditch residential buildings altogether. It's just too hard to keep your Rep up when you have people flooding in. The mechanic is pretty similar -- pump up your income early and keep your rep low, then scale up your rep, then blitz rep and stabilize income if you can. The mid and late games definitely require good investments.

EDIT: Just realized I had several invites to async Suburbia games that weren't popping up until I went into active games. Taking turns now! Async is definitely barebones but hopefully playable.

Heel

I don't think I want to give Stone Blade any more money until they've laid out how they're going to migrate Ascension purchases to the new app. Once that happens I'll gladly give Playdek a cut of my dollar before it happens, haha.

Flynn

Actually fwiw I didn't find that Medium and Hard that much more challenging than the others. There were a few tricky cities for sure that took me 5+ tries though. And it's funny how different the single-player is than the multi-player where there's a decent amount of interactivity between cities because of some of the tile effects. In the SP I found it useful for almost every challenge to ditch residential buildings altogether. It's just too hard to keep your Rep up when you have people flooding in. The mechanic is pretty similar -- pump up your income early and keep your rep low, then scale up your rep, then blitz rep and stabilize income if you can. The mid and late games definitely require good investments.

EDIT: Just realized I had several invites to async Suburbia games that weren't popping up until I went into active games. Taking turns now! Async is definitely barebones but hopefully playable.

I am about to dig into the rules around population. I'm not super sure about how the interaction between the tiles effects population. I see, in single player, that placement can result in more or less population, but I'm not seeing on the tiles an indication of what that would be.

Kosh

Waterdeep tourney report.

Kosh beat Kestrel 146-145.

Good game, Kestrel. I thought you were going to take it near the end there, was very close.

kestrel3d

Neo Member
I'm kicking myself though, I didn't think I was that close to winning and I'm a little worried I could have left a point or two on the table! Also, I still don't know all the end game scoring rules!

Kosh

I'm kicking myself though, I didn't think I was that close to winning and I'm a little worried I could have left a point or two on the table! Also, I still don't know all the end game scoring rules!

I know what you mean. I did leave some points on the board. I could have completed another quest with my last two agents. I didn't realize it until my last agent, but I could have placed an agent on top of yours due to a quest I had completed before. If I had realized that one agent earlier, I would have picked up a face up quest that I could have completed. I had to look up the end game scoring rules towards the end of our game. If I hadn't I probably would have lost.

I thought I had been pretty competitive until we did the end game scoring:). Good game.

Yeah the back and forth on the visible scores was crazy close. Haha. I think we were within 10 point of each other pretty much the whole time. I just had the person that gives points for buying buildings, and I bought all but 1 of those. Haha.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Smiley90 / KingHenrik30 how's that LoW game coming?

I posted in the thread multiple times and sent him a pm that i cant find him ingame and he needs to add me/tell me his playdek account/invite me. This is not on me this time! :(

besada

Banned
Yeah the back and forth on the visible scores was crazy close. Haha. I think we were within 10 point of each other pretty much the whole time. I just had the person that gives points for buying buildings, and I bought all but 1 of those. Haha.

Ah, I wondered why you'd gone all in on buildings. I couldn't seem to find Arcana or Piety cards until the very end of the game, and those -- of course -- were what I needed.

Ah, I wondered why you'd gone all in on buildings. I couldn't seem to find Arcana or Piety cards until the very end of the game, and those -- of course -- were what I needed.

Yeah. I was lucky that you didn't seem interested in getting the buildings. It helped me out a lot.

You should have refreshed the pool of quests if you didn't like what was available. Heh.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Smiley (Vanguard) beats Slacker (Vanguard) in the SW tourney.

gg! Weird matchup :lol

Slacker

Smiley (Vanguard) beats Slacker (Vanguard) in the SW tourney.

gg! Weird matchup :lol

lol I screwed up and accidentally ended my move phase without putting my summoner in position to heal the big guy. :( Oh well was only prolonging the inevitable anyway. :)

Heel

Looks like Quarriors is a bit buggy. BGG thread and Pocket Tactics' review cite the same spending bug. Also:

I wish online multiplayer interaction was better implemented graphically. Played a few games with a friend, and it doesn't display what the other person is doing while taking their turn. You can figure it out based on what you eventually see in their pools, and of course you can always check the log, but that's not much fun.

For instance, my friend cast the Death Spell during his turn to kill one of my creatures off. Would have been nice to see animations of the process... the Death Spell die get placed into his Ready Pool, then move to the center along with my die he was killing, and then BOOM! and then the dice zip off to their respective used pools. Instead, it's just suddenly my turn and all you see is the final result from the other player's turn.

Guess I'll hold off for now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
"Played a few games with a friend, and it doesn't display what the other person is doing while taking their turn. "

Hahaha man, how many games will continue to get this wrong? I guess it's because devs don't want to bother making animations of people taking turns. Eclipse being by far the worst offender in this space.

Suburbia doesn't show you turns but it does have a game log that's easily accessible, which should be a bare minimum. That's what I'm noticing about Suburbia is that it has everything you need -- you just have to get used to the UI. Which took me about five games or so. The one thing it desperately needs is a next game button though. And it seems like the multiplayer screen should just drop you right into GameCenter. As it stands you have to do two additional taps and it's kind of confusing. All overcomeable though.

CzarTim

"Played a few games with a friend, and it doesn't display what the other person is doing while taking their turn. "

Hahaha man, how many games will continue to get this wrong? I guess it's because devs don't want to bother making animations of people taking turns. Eclipse being by far the worst offender in this space.

Suburbia doesn't show you turns but it does have a game log that's easily accessible, which should be a bare minimum. That's what I'm noticing about Suburbia is that it has everything you need -- you just have to get used to the UI. Which took me about five games or so. The one thing it desperately needs is a next game button though. And it seems like the multiplayer screen should just drop you right into GameCenter. As it stands you have to do two additional taps and it's kind of confusing. All overcomeable though.

Yeah, it's annoying :-/

Seems like games relying on GC for MP are the worse offenders.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, it's annoying :-/

Seems like games relying on GC for MP are the worse offenders.

Carc was sooooo perfect. And then CodingMonkeys switched to GC for multiplayer and Twitter for chat in Lost Cities. And no surprise Lost Cities has hugely buggy/not appearing/disappearing notifications and basically nobody chats because what are you going to tweet at each other? Boo.

NeoGAF Summoner Wars Tournament 1

ROUND 5

Slacker getting the bye this round.

Important Links:
Challonge Link
Army Tracker

Rules:
- Seeding based off of past SW tournament and then win percentage.
- Swiss rules!
- There will be a finals tourney for the top 4.
- 10 Rounds right now.
- There is 13 people, so every round someone will get a 'bye' they will just be rewarded with a win.
- Set it to 14 days to cover all random life events, but please dont take 14 days, I will bug people if it starts getting too long.
- Armies are hidden, and mirror matches are allowed, so either person can send the invite

SUPER IMPORTANT INFO
- You MUST use every single army, and you may only use an army again once you have used every single army.
- You MUST report your army used in each match, I will keep track of them in the spreadsheet above.
- If you cheat with your armies, its an automatic loss! :p

Cfh123

Kestrel and I have been playing a lot of Agricola and LeHavre. I am consistently beaten in Agricola but I have pulled off LeHavre wins.

kestrel3d

Neo Member
Kestrel and I have been playing a lot of Agricola and LeHavre. I am consistently beaten in Agricola but I have pulled off LeHavre wins.

I've probably played 10-12 games of Le Havre now but I'm definitely still in the "learning the basic strategies and the flow of the game" phase. If that is even a phase!

I have much more familiarity with Agricola--I am at the point where I have a pretty good feel for the e-deck cards and combos, though there is still a lot of subtlty there to learn, I'm sure. I'm excited for the I and K decks too! One of those Agricola games we played I thought I had a strong position but you ended up closing the gap to one point...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Got the Princess and Dragon expansion, so invite away.

Just played a game against the computer and not sure I like the additions.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The actual tough part I think is that I like worker-placement games best 3-4p but that doesn't really lend itself to a tournament format, which is best for 2p.

kestrel3d

Neo Member
Is the primary downside to a 4p tourney the game length? I would love to attempt a multiplayer Agricola tournament if people were game. I know they do 4p through the ages tournaments at boardgaming-online but I've never participated so I'm not really sure how they run.

Well I don't know if you could do it on challonge, but it could be 4p matches with first getting 2 points and second getting 1, and with third and forth both getting zero.

I think it could work out.

besada

Banned
The actual tough part I think is that I like worker-placement games best 3-4p but that doesn't really lend itself to a tournament format, which is best for 2p.

Why not just do it as something simple like, three matches for each player, highest cumulative score wins.

kestrel3d

Neo Member
Well I don't know if you could do it on challonge, but it could be 4p matches with first getting 2 points and second getting 1, and with third and forth both getting zero.

I think it could work out.

Sounds promising. This would be swiss--subsequent matches would try to pair up players wih similar points? How many rounds would that entail? Probably would take the top 4 point earners for a final table playoff?

kestrel3d

Neo Member
Why not just do it as something simple like, three matches for each player, highest cumulative score wins.

Cumulative score doesn't really work because score is in large part a resul of meta game. Some very well played games with a lot of agressive blocking will end with low scores even for the winner, while a more friendly style game might have high scores for everyone. The important result is where you place, not how high the score.

Top Bottom