• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

tm24

I don't think I've been lucky enough to put together a deck that gets double digit runes and power in the same turn. In fact I don't think I even know how to, hahaha. I think you did it in both games too. Hats off sir, I clearly have a lot to learn. You had half a dozen constructs and I could not slow you down at all.

I once made a hand of 16 runes and 21 power against the AI. I also cleared the deck once. The infinite is fucking hilarious

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I once made a hand of 16 runes and 21 power against the AI. I also cleared the deck once. The infinite is fucking hilarious

I think I've stopped playing against the AI months ago, after I've started playing multiplayer... nothing beats human creativity. Also, I beat Got the Shakes after losing to you butz, so I'm feeling better already.

(Lost brutally to RaySpencer in Nightfall though, that hurt.)

Smiley90

Oh, also, if anyone wants a live game in Nightfall or two, I'd be down in the next 2h. Have to catch up on all the gaming I missed on Vacation.

Also, WHERE IS APPLE, APPROVE THAT EXPANSION ALREADY GODDAMNIT. I want my update and fix.

Heel

You still haven't accepted my Ascension invite. Boo. Or do you only have the base set?

I've got it, just wanted to practice it a bit offline first. Playing the expansion in some 3 and 4 player games with people from the thread already though, haha. I'll accept soon.

Smiley90

I've got it, just wanted to practice it a bit offline first. Playing the expansion in some 3 and 4 player games with people from the thread already though, haha. I'll accept soon.

I know, I'm in one of them, which made the 1v1 non-acceptance even more confusing :D

EDIT: Another tied Ascension win, the 2nd in 2 days, after I never had that before. Madness!

Smiley90

I really hate the tied rule

It makes sense though :p I feel like in Nightfall, whoever starts has a WAY bigger advantage than in Ascension though, because they'll be first to have claimed cards in their hands to respond. (e.g. I usually play the green guy in the first 2 turns, and if I get to start, I can get a green-response card to chain the other guy's green guy and play it when he plays his. Doesn't work if I'm 2nd, then he'll chain me and have the upper hand)

butzopower

proud of his butz
Here's the beatdown from earlier (sorry it's so big, retina screen and all):

GVrAV

I'm proud of my lack of starting cards in that chain.

Smiley90

Here's the beatdown from earlier (sorry it's so big, retina screen and all):

You're mean.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you were gonna post the end-screen. I believe the score in the end was like 104-69 or so if I remember correctly :(

butzopower

proud of his butz
You're mean.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you were gonna post the end-screen. I believe the score in the end was like 104-69 or so if I remember correctly :(

You had me like, 20 - 3 in Nightfall.

I was actually a bit worried, since you had like 6 Mech, and if had you another turn, you would have gotten at least 2 extra cards from my Askaras.

Smiley90

LOL that was intense Astro, I think all our turns had like 8+ runes and it was more of a "which new mechana constructs turn up", couldn't have ended any closer. (99-98)

I think I've stopped playing against the AI months ago, after I've started playing multiplayer... nothing beats human creativity. Also, I beat Got the Shakes after losing to you butz, so I'm feeling better already.

(Lost brutally to RaySpencer in Nightfall though, that hurt.)

Heh, I woulda loved to play more games too, but I had to leave for work. And the wifi here sucks butthole. I can't connect to any playdek games :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
LOL that was intense Astro, I think all our turns had like 8+ runes and it was more of a "which new mechana constructs turn up", couldn't have ended any closer. (99-98)

haha yeah i've been having lots of crazy close games recently in ascension and nightfall. damn i can't wait for the ascension update

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yggdrasil got a pretty good review today from iPad Board Games.org

Picked this game up on Friday. It seems pretty well done save for not having the greatest explanation of how to play the game (so basically Ghost Stories all over again). Will learn it and definitely play some rounds.

bonesquad

Two topics from BGG that can be added to the list of "I'll believe it when I see it"...

1) The official Dominion app isn't vaporware. There is an actual developer, FunSockets (?). But is it HTML5 based or a native app? (Hint: I pretty much lose interest if it isn't an iOS app.)

2) BDC plans to submit the Neuroshima Hex update that adds async play next week. Right. (Though if that's true and done well, this game is right up there with Carcassonne, TTR, and Ascension.)

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/10218/ios-news-dominion-battle-of-the-bulge-happy-meeple

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Saw that news update:
-Makes it seem like regardless of what Dominion actually is, it's way earlier in the development process than many have believed.
-Neuroshima: Bring it on. Please be amazing because we've waited long enough (chat, ratings, etc.).

Heel

Here's the post on Dominion:

For those who seek more info regarding this or who want to actually see it in operation, we will have several iPads set up in our room at Origins where players can play the version we are testing. Also, based on how the testing is going, I expect the we (Rio Grande Games and FunSockets) will be releasing very near to Origins. Thanks for your patience.

Jay

Origins is May 30th.

Some more information from months ago:

To update you all, we are now (including me) testing the Dominion app and I have been very pleased with the product the licensee has produced. I have played it using Safari, Firefox, iPad, and iPhone and it works well on all these platforms. I am told it works on others, but that is all I have at my immediate disposal. The IA is simple, but will certainly serve to help a new player learn the game and get started. We expect it to be available in the VERY near future and will announce a date as soon as we have one. Thanks!!

Jay

We plan to offer a variety of AIs, including the possibility of user-created AIs.

Jay

When the subject of this possibly being a browser game came up:

For those who need to know if the digital version will be available via iTunes, the answer is yes.

Jay

Maybe they just want to ensure cross-compatibility with their future platforms? Shrug.

Vard

So I can't buy the Ascension expansion. Clicking the button on the Main Menu does nothing - on some other screens with the logo (like Game Invites), it will play a SFX but nothing else happens. I heard from a friend that a pop-up should appear.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app, turning off/on my Internet connection - and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

Heel

So I can't buy the Ascension expansion. Clicking the button on the Main Menu does nothing - on some other screens with the logo (like Game Invites), it will play a SFX but nothing else happens. I heard from a friend that a pop-up should appear.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app, turning off/on my Internet connection - and still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

No idea. Maybe try contacting the developer? If all else fails, the upcoming update is supposed to manage the IAPs differently. You might have better luck with that.

Vard

No idea. Maybe try contacting the developer? If all else fails, the upcoming update is supposed to manage the IAPs differently. You might have better luck with that.
Cool, thanks. Guess I'll wait for the update. And if that fails there's always contacting the devs.

Manik

Just picked up my first iPad and a couple of the boardgame apps to go along with it - Ascension and Cabals at the minute. Have played through the tutorials and a couple of games, so looking forward to playing with a few guys from Gaf.

Is it just a case of adding myself to the spreadsheet in the OP and sending out some invotes? What's the general etiquette for asking people for a game of, say, Ascension?

Slightly for my own benefit I've done a quick experiment by downloading the google doc as a csv and creating a google doc table. This is the link

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?snapid=S487920W4P4

If you click on options, then in the filter you can drop down and select by Game (e.g. TTR Pocket) and put X or O in the box and apply it should it will dump just the users with TTR Pocket and X in a list.
It might make it easier to see (on an iphone) who has a particular game when sending out invites.
You can link the table directly to the google doc but I'm not sure if it just takes a snapshot at the time its created (I didn't want to mess around with the raw document).

Just picked up my first iPad and a couple of the boardgame apps to go along with it - Ascension and Cabals at the minute. Have played through the tutorials and a couple of games, so looking forward to playing with a few guys from Gaf.

Is it just a case of adding myself to the spreadsheet in the OP and sending out some invotes? What's the general etiquette for asking people for a game of, say, Ascension?

Go for it. An underscore usually means the user is very keen to play.

Manik

Go for it. An underscore usually means the user is very keen to play.

Sounds good - will add my details in when I get home from work this evening. Only got a couple of games at the minute, so I'll see how I get on with those before jumping into any other ones.

Also - thanks for that updated table too. Looks much clearer to navigate than the original!

sladeums

http://ascensiongame.com/news-archive/item/ascension-storm-of-souls-submitted-to-app-store

Playdek has submitted the newest update to the App store for one of the most popular games on iOS!
Not only will players be able to add Ascension: Storm of Souls to their digital collection, they'll also be able to purchase a set of promos!
The Ascension: Storm of Souls expansion will be a $3.99 in-app purchase, while the promo pack will cost $0.99.
Stay tuned for news when the App is approved and on sale in the App Store!

ESbru.jpg

Smiley90

I keep checking the appstore for the update but it's just not happening :( i still wonder what the new features will be :/ hopefully multitasking is one of them.

Also, nightfall NEEDS a function like Ascension where you can look at all the cards that are in your deck, so you know which cards you've aquired in which multiplayer game.

tm24

I woke up this morning and saw that I had 2 apps to update. I got excited then disappointed. I like how the last 3-4 pages have been entire devoted to Ascension after we had 3-4 pages devoted entirely to Carc a week or so ago

Manik

Have added myself to the list, though I'm sat there looking rather lonely with just Ascension on my 'games owned' row. I'm sure it'll increase with time though!

Will send out a couple of invites to people that have marked it as a 'really want to play' game, but please do bear in mind that I'm brand new to this whole thing, so don't expect anything close to even resembling a challenging match ;)

I woke up this morning and saw that I had 2 apps to update. I got excited then disappointed. I like how the last 3-4 pages have been entire devoted to Ascension after we had 3-4 pages devoted entirely to Carc a week or so ago

Carc is old news ! Booo carc! Long live Ascension!

Im super pumped to play Ascension in a new way.

DukeSucks

Have added myself to the list, though I'm sat there looking rather lonely with just Ascension on my 'games owned' row. I'm sure it'll increase with time though!

Will send out a couple of invites to people that have marked it as a 'really want to play' game, but please do bear in mind that I'm brand new to this whole thing, so don't expect anything close to even resembling a challenging match ;)

Sent you a request.

Anybody can send me as many requests as you want in in this game, I love it. Don't play my turns a lot during the day, I usually wait til night to use the ipad since its harder to see the cards on my phone and I don't really know what they all do yet.

I've been getting destroyed in endgame here lately, guess I need to rethink my strategy, or at least look at what my opponents are drawing.

And we will get gamecocks to buy this game eventually lol

Manik

Sent you a request.

Anybody can send me as many requests as you want in in this game, I love it. Don't play my turns a lot during the day, I usually wait til night to use the ipad since its harder to see the cards on my phone and I don't really know what they all do yet.

I've been getting destroyed in endgame here lately, guess I need to rethink my strategy, or at least look at what my opponents are drawing.

And we will get gamecocks to buy this game eventually lol

Good stuff, will accept it when I get back from work. I played a few more games against the AI yesterday evening and I think I'm sort of getting the hang of it. Definitely need to research some strategies from somewhere though; I'm not always sure I know exactly what I'm trying to do and tend to just grab all kinds of mismatched cards. I guess it just comes down to experience though.

All of my turns will be done on an evening most of the time as I only have an iPad to play it on (phone is Android and I'm stuck with it until the middle of next year :( ).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
iPhone sucks for most of these games anyway IMO
Screen's way too small. Seems that most people who have both don't use their iPhone for gaming at all anymore.

eznark

Banned
iPhone sucks for most of these games anyway IMO
Screen's way too small. Seems that most people who have both don't use their iPhone for gaming at all anymore.

It's fine for Carc. I need to get back into Ascension though and stop playing it on both. Their syncing just stinks and it keeps making me abandon games!

tldr: invite me to Ascension games!

Manik

I presume that, in the case of Ascension, non-expansion pack players can't play those who own the expansion pack, right?

If that's the case then I may have to look into buying it - seems much more people have it than don't so it's kind of limiting.

Heel

I presume that, in the case of Ascension, non-expansion pack players can't play those who own the expansion pack, right?

If that's the case then I may have to look into buying it - seems much more people have it than don't so it's kind of limiting.

Nah, if you own the expansion you can set up games with just the base set if you'd like. Everyone can play together.

and Gamecocks, you will spend that dollar! Trust me it's good, nerd wizardry be damned.

Top Bottom