• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Damnit superrobot! change your GC name!! Id been playing with some dude named 'Diesel Pioneer' in Ascension. Games were going fast and it was fun (plus I was winning :p). I figured I should find out who the hell this actually is, wtf man!

GC name should be your GAF name, this goes for everyone! :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Damnit superrobot! change your GC name!! Id been playing with some dude named 'Diesel Pioneer' in Ascension. Games were going fast and it was fun (plus I was winning :p). I figured I should find out who the hell this actually is, wtf man!

Oh that's him? I was wondering who that was too...

Also I feel like Eye of Destiny is broken. It says ONCE PER TURN, when you acquire a hero, put it in your hand, but it seems to do it for ALL heroes you acquire, I swear I acquired 3 heroes and put them in my had during the same turn...

Oh that's him? I was wondering who that was too...

Also I feel like Eye of Destiny is broken. It says ONCE PER TURN, when you acquire a hero, put it in your hand, but it seems to do it for ALL heroes you acquire, I swear I acquired 3 heroes and put them in my had during the same turn...

sounds like HAX! also the Elder Skeptic is bugged too. It seems like every time I would discard an Apprentice, it would let me pull it from my discard pile, back into my hand right after...

sladeums

sounds like HAX! also the Elder Skeptic is bugged too. It seems like every time I would discard an Apprentice, it would let me pull it from my discard pile, back into my hand right after...

There is an Event card that causes that ... once per turn put a discarded card back in your hand ... prolly what you were seeing

Smiley90

ahh, yeah that was probably it. those event cards are fun, but some games you dont even see 1. its weird.

There's some really neat combos in the expansions. Prime & Dream Machine thing is one of my favourites. One lets you put a construct back from play to your hand, the other lets you acquire any construct and goes from the discard pile back to your hand when you play a construct. So you get 2 free constructs out of it (or 2x3 Runes). That with some nice drawing is sweeeet.

There's some really neat combos in the expansions. Prime & Dream Machine thing is one of my favourites. One lets you put a construct back from play to your hand, the other lets you acquire any construct and goes from the discard pile back to your hand when you play a construct. So you get 2 free constructs out of it (or 2x3 Runes). That with some nice drawing is sweeeet.

Yeah, this is an amazing expansion from what ive played of it. The trophy and event thing is so much fun, I love being able to hoard a bunch of stuff for later use!

Some other mechanoid got there first.

I like this much more the the previous expansions. The trophies and effects let you plan a little better.
Mixing the other expansion in does dilute the events so that you don't see them that often.
Took me a while to work out the difference between banish and destroy :p
I was thinking why would I want to destroy this for 2 triangles. What's the point in that.

Also all you victories are void.
I should get some extra honour points for dealing with a mega-breakfast meltdown involving 2 3yos in between turns.

Some other mechanoid got there first.

I like this much more the the previous expansions. The trophies and effects let you plan a little better.
Mixing the other expansion in does dilute the events so that you don't see them that often.
Took me a while to work out the difference between banish and destroy :p
I was thinking why would I want to destroy this for 2 triangles. What's the point in that.

Also all you victories are void Amazing and spectacular.
I should get some extra honour points for dealing with a mega-breakfast meltdown involving 2 3yos in between turns.

I thought that too, haha. stupid destroy!

Tell that other superrobot to give you your name then! DOIT GOGO!

I fixed your post for you

Smiley90

I'm gonna give BattleCON a go and see how it is... For anyone who has played it already, is it much worse than AC:? (IMHO best TCG on iPhone so far)

bonesquad

I'm gonna give BattleCON a go and see how it is... For anyone who has played it already, is it much worse than AC:? (IMHO best TCG on iPhone so far)

I was trying BattleCON out just now (disclaimer: I just got back from a run, which maybe affected my opinion:) I had mixed feelings. This isn't a CCG, it's closer to a battle game like a cross between a 2D fighter and Summoner Wars.

First, I don't like its anime aesthetics. To be fair, I never do. Next, I noticed there is a significant lag whenever you click on anything (I'm on an iPhone 4 though). I kept clicking thinking nothing was happening. Strike Two.

I went to the tutorial since I had no idea how to play. What were they thinking? I don't want static screens of banter between two characters. I gave up fast; by which I mean I had to reset the game since I couldn't quit the tutorial. Strike Three.

Well, I did test out the actual game too. From the little I could figure out I did like the basic mechanics, but the surrounding app turned me off. I have too much to play with Ascension and soon (maybe) Neuroshima Hex. Your mileage may vary.

sladeums

It's not really a CCG as such.

Each character has a set deck of fighting moves.

There is no deck building or anything like that ... it is more a fighting/dueling game using some card game mechanics.

Smiley90

I was trying BattleCON out just now (disclaimer: I just got back from a run, which maybe affected my opinion:) I had mixed feelings. This isn't a CCG, it's closer to a battle game like a cross between a 2D fighter and Summoner Wars.

First, I don't like its anime aesthetics. To be fair, I never do. Next, I noticed there is a significant lag whenever you click on anything (I'm on an iPhone 4 though). I kept clicking thinking nothing was happening. Strike Two.

I went to the tutorial since I had no idea how to play. What were they thinking? I don't want static screens of banter between two characters. I gave up fast; by which I mean I had to reset the game since I couldn't quit the tutorial. Strike Three.

Well, I did test out the actual game too. From the little I could figure out I did like the basic mechanics, but the surrounding app turned me off. I have too much to play with Ascension and soon (maybe) Neuroshima Hex. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah I'm not liking it very much either, it's not very deep. Plus, the tutorial is extremely useless lol. Not my thing, there's not much to it :/

Im pretty sure thats why the tutorial is the first thing that shows up upon loading SoS for the first time!

Pffft tutorial.

I skipped that so fast! ..... I tried to find it later, but all I saw was the main game tutorial. Oh well! A few games and I figured everything out anyway!

butzopower

proud of his butz
Smiley has no way to win this game of Nightfall, but has been tasked with the decision of who gets to win. IMO, that's better than winning.

Smiley90

Smiley has no way to win this game of Nightfall, but has been tasked with the decision of who gets to win. IMO, that's better than winning.

You're a jerk, do you REALLY want to be mean when I can choose who wins? :p

EDIT: PHAH, at least I ended up tied 2nd with you :p

sladeums

Who's playing Storm o Souls tonight ?

I'm looking for games for like the next 3-4hours.

Send me an invite, cuz none of my games in progress are moving!!!!!
:(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
why yes, i have played a lot of ascension
oqffX.jpg

bonesquad

Yup, I have no idea what I'm doing. Lost my last 5 Ascension games, only 1 was close:(. Doesn't help last game I twice misread cards leaving me with wasted turns.

I wish you got notified when a game ended. I was playing two games at once and both ended at the same time (both with big turns by my opponent, I hate going first:) and I was waiting and waiting...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm actually really looking forward to when they migrate the UI improvements from Ascension into Nightfall. Next Game would be a great start, and Nightfall could really benefit from seeing who's attacking whom.

I wonder if Playdek will ever have chat or multitasking (or, getting greedy, Elo) though. You'd think they'd have it in Ascension by now if they could reasonably pull it off. Lack of chat especially is a real bummer.

Smiley90

I'm actually really looking forward to when they migrate the UI improvements from Ascension into Nightfall. Next Game would be a great start, and Nightfall could really benefit from seeing who's attacking whom.

I wonder if Playdek will ever have chat or multitasking (or, getting greedy, Elo) though. You'd think they'd have it in Ascension by now if they could reasonably pull it off. Lack of chat especially is a real bummer.

The first/most important feature nightfall needs is the possibility to see which cards you've purchased. Multiplayer is haaaard without that lol

You can tell who's attacking whom by which spot the drag it too though, it works pretty well.

The first/most important feature nightfall needs is the possibility to see which cards you've purchased. Multiplayer is haaaard without that lol

I agree that being able to see what you have is first, I need that bad! After that though multitasking is my number one, I hate having to lot in every time! I'd like chat for sure, but multitasking first, Elo isn't a big deal to me, I like being able to see other peoples win loss in nightfall though, I wish they had that in ascension, I thought they did actually I just can't find it anymore. Haha.

Smiley90

You can tell who's attacking whom by which spot the drag it too though, it works pretty well.

I agree that being able to see what you have is first, I need that bad! After that though multitasking is my number one, I hate having to lot in every time! I'd like chat for sure, but multitasking first, Elo isn't a big deal to me, I like being able to see other peoples win loss in nightfall though, I wish they had that in ascension, I thought they did actually I just can't find it anymore. Haha.

The thing is, not even Ascension has multitasking, so I don't see it come to Nightfall soon. On the other hand, the card-viewer has been in Ascension FOREVER (since its Launch? I'm not sure), and is NEEDED in Nightfall asap.

The thing is, not even Ascension has multitasking, so I don't see it come to Nightfall soon. On the other hand, the card-viewer has been in Ascension FOREVER (since its Launch? I'm not sure), and is NEEDED in Nightfall asap.

Yeah, card viewer seems like something they just forgot and can add really quick. Multitasking would probably mean a major redesign of how their app works. Still though, get on it playdek! I'm sick of logging in all the time when I'm switching between 2 of their games!

Smiley90

Also, one thing I think needs to be fixed for the new Ascension expansion: Nook Hound forces everyone to discard/not discard a card, EVEN if the game would end right after the discard. Totally unnecessary :/

butzopower

proud of his butz
Also, one thing I think needs to be fixed for the new Ascension expansion: Nook Hound forces everyone to discard/not discard a card, EVEN if the game would end right after the discard. Totally unnecessary :/

All the mechanics work like that. I can think of a case where it'd matter. If a Nook Hound showed up followed by an Arbiter of Fate, and the top card of your deck was that Void hero you could banish for 2 honor, you'd definitely want to discard it to banish it. If you imagine the physical game, those actions would resolve right when the cards show up, at which point the end of the game might not be a guarentee.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tigris is confusing! I shoulda played more games against the AI first. Haha. I'm getting completely destroyed against Astro. :(

YEEESSSS!

It's actually not too bad though it has a lot of tactical complexity. Basically your score is based on your lowest color, so you want to try to be even. You score by putting down tiles where you have a leader in the same color (or a black leader if there is no leader of that color), you get points every turn for monuments in the appropriate attached leader color, and then there's fights over conflicting leaders. That's it -- easy peasy! :p

YEEESSSS!

It's actually not too bad though it has a lot of tactical complexity. Basically your score is based on your lowest color, so you want to try to be even. You score by putting down tiles where you have a leader in the same color (or a black leader if there is no leader of that color), you get points every turn for monuments in the appropriate attached leader color, and then there's fights over conflicting leaders. That's it -- easy peasy! :p

I remember it being pretty simple when I first learned how to play, that was a while ago though. Also I didnt really play enough after learning to think up any basic strategy's either. I will play a few more games against the AI before I challenge you again, haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I remember it being pretty simple when I first learned how to play, that was a while ago though. Also I didnt really play enough after learning to think up any basic strategy's either. I will play a few more games against the AI before I challenge you again, haha.

I could be wrong but I believe it does play best as a 4P. Although the screwage factor with the disaster tiles can be intense. What the game really needs is Carc-like animations showing you the last turn. It's pretty barebones but oh well.

I could be wrong but I believe it does play best as a 4P. Although the screwage factor with the disaster tiles can be intense. What the game really needs is Carc-like animations showing you the last turn. It's pretty barebones but oh well.

I can see that, it really does look like a 4 player game. 4 players is harder to set up and keep going though, and right now my limited knowledge of the game I dont think I would fair very well with any amount of players, haha.

I've lost like 150 points off my Carc Elo in the past week hahah. Back up the mountain we go.

I saw that! I had a rough streak a few weeks ago but I'm on a roll as of late. I'm not a huge fan of the rivers expansion I've decided. Inns and Cathedrals is where its at.

Just got the latest Ascension expansion, will be sending out mass invites. I feel 2p/3p matches work best. 4p can be really fun but I feel you can lose the game fairly quickly if you get a couple of bad draws to start the game.

Smiley90

All the mechanics work like that. I can think of a case where it'd matter. If a Nook Hound showed up followed by an Arbiter of Fate, and the top card of your deck was that Void hero you could banish for 2 honor, you'd definitely want to discard it to banish it. If you imagine the physical game, those actions would resolve right when the cards show up, at which point the end of the game might not be a guarentee.

Ooooh I didn't think about that, Deathseeker COULD give you some extra Honour if it was there. Oddly specific, but okay, I see it now.

Top Bottom