• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

bonesquad

Kinda offtopic (okay, TOTALLY offtopic, but whatever), but if anyone of you plays D3 and wants to add me, feel free: Smiley#1433

Ah, the one game that can pull me away from my iPhone. So many games at once between Ascension, Neuroshima Hex (probably), Diablo 3... I'm set for quite awhile.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ah, the one game that can pull me away from my iPhone. So many games at once between Ascension, Neuroshima Hex (probably), Diablo 3... I'm set for quite awhile.

Add me/battletag?

Also yeah, D3 will be my game of choice until Neuroshima hits. And even then - play D3 at home, Neuroshima at work :p

sladeums

Looks like all the Codito Games are going on sale again tomorrow / later tonight, $0.99 each :
Tigris & Euphrates
Ra
Medici HD
Tikal

That kinda makes me suspect Le Havre is getting close...
I dunno.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Those games are good, and I would love to have more T&E opponents, but I don't have great hope for Le Havre as I'm not a huge fan of Codito's work. Super barebones.

Heel

R1bevl.jpg

ib2DEH187X6SzI.gif

Went through the tutorials and played a quick game of Scotland Yard. So far so good I guess, it looks really nice, very board game looking like Carcassone I guess. The tutorials start out REALLY slow and kind of annoying, but it picks up and explains everything you need to know. Its nice to see it has a local Bluetooth/wifi option as well as game centre online.

I havent had a chance to test out how the online works, but its game centre, so you know it will work well, but you also know that everyone will forget about the games, haha. Im not sure if its Async either, didnt read the app page and I cant tell in game, but it looks like it should be. Its nice that it has a chat option, and even a voice chat, but I didnt get to test those out yet.

As for the game itself, I dont know. Its basically hide and seek, haha. I think it could be pretty fun for a while, but will probably get old REALLY quick. I feel like I will get my 5 bucks worth out of this game, but It definitely wont be the new Ascension/Carcassone/Nightfall.

Someone else buy it so we can test multiplayer!

Smiley90

Went through the tutorials and played a quick game of Scotland Yard. So far so good I guess, it looks really nice, very board game looking like Carcassone I guess. The tutorials start out REALLY slow and kind of annoying, but it picks up and explains everything you need to know. Its nice to see it has a local Bluetooth/wifi option as well as game centre online.

I havent had a chance to test out how the online works, but its game centre, so you know it will work well, but you also know that everyone will forget about the games, haha. Im not sure if its Async either, didnt read the app page and I cant tell in game, but it looks like it should be. Its nice that it has a chat option, and even a voice chat, but I didnt get to test those out yet.

As for the game itself, I dont know. Its basically hide and seek, haha. I think it could be pretty fun for a while, but will probably get old REALLY quick. I feel like I will get my 5 bucks worth out of this game, but It definitely wont be the new Ascension/Carcassone/Nightfall.

Someone else buy it so we can test multiplayer!

I'll just repeat what I said in the iOS thread:

I know and like the original boardgame, but it relies heavily on the cooperative aspect between the "detectives" and thus a lot of interaction. Think Operation Eradicate/Pandemic. It's a great game for sure, and with chat it'll probably be fun enough (and better than the aforementioned), but probably not the greatest game and definitely not as good as live. But it's for sure a fun game if it's a good port. :D

I'll just repeat what I said in the iOS thread:

I know and like the original boardgame, but it relies heavily on the cooperative aspect between the "detectives" and thus a lot of interaction. Think Operation Eradicate/Pandemic. It's a great game for sure, and with chat it'll probably be fun enough (and better than the aforementioned), but probably not the greatest game and definitely not as good as live. But it's for sure a fun game if it's a good port. :D

well I can't say if its a good port in terms of how it plays vs the board game, but how it plays as an app is awesome, it works really well. I agree that its something that would work better in person (not sure how Mr.X would hide in a physical game though, haha), but with both text chat and voice chat it should be pretty damn close! I would kill for voice and text chat in Eradicate.

I'm gonna play it a bit more at work tonight, but hopefully some of you guys will pick it up and we can play some multiplayer.

WiFi at work doesn't work right now, it sucks a bunch.

Manik

well I can't say if its a good port in terms of how it plays vs the board game, but how it plays as an app is awesome, it works really well. I agree that its something that would work better in person (not sure how Mr.X would hide in a physical game though, haha), but with both text chat and voice chat it should be pretty damn close! I would kill for voice and text chat in Eradicate.

I'm gonna play it a bit more at work tonight, but hopefully some of you guys will pick it up and we can play some multiplayer.

I might be tempted to pick this up tonight for a few games of multiplayer. Never played the physical boardgame either, so should make it interesting!

Any idea how much it is in the UK store?

I might be tempted to pick this up tonight for a few games of multiplayer. Never played the physical boardgame either, so should make it interesting!

Any idea how much it is in the UK store?

No idea, what ever the regular conversion from $5 on the Canada/US store is. Prolly like 3£ I guess?

mercviper

Oh shi- Scotland Yard? I love that game. Gonna have to agree with Smiley over my concerns about it but I'll def. buy it when I get home if you want to test out features/start a game

Smiley90

Mr X doesn't get a figure, but instead writes down in secret where he was and what method of transport he used each turn ;) an once the game is over other players can backtrack his path and see if all was done correctly. he also gets a little hat so other people don't see where his eyes are looking on the board, it's fun :p

I think I'll wait with buying it until it either hits a sale or everyone here plays it constantly lol

Manik

Oh shi- Scotland Yard? I love that game. Gonna have to agree with Smiley over my concerns about it but I'll def. buy it when I get home if you want to test out features/start a game

Just grabbed this, so if anyone is around for a game in a couple of hours then hit me up - Gamecenter ID is CTB0503.

bonesquad

Hmm, I'll have to add Scotland Yard to the top of my list of games to grab in the next week or two (I don't buy the 'launch price'; this isn't Carcassonne:) I'd get Scotland Yard now, but I'm on game overload. I already grabbed Ra at $1 for no other reason than to add it to my board game 'collection'. Maybe someday I'll play Ra.

Back to D3... fratelli#1538

Smiley90

Chicobalay is a lucker. Just wanted to say that publicly. Has no meeples in a big city, then in his last 4 turns gets the 3 perfect tiles to set 2 meeples AND connect AND comeplete the city on his very last turn. Not cool.

Chicobalay is a lucker. Just wanted to say that publicly. Has no meeples in a big city, then in his last 4 turns gets the 3 perfect tiles to set 2 meeples AND connect AND comeplete the city on his very last turn. Not cool.

Doesn't happen too often which is great but when it does it makes my blood boil. And you know deep down it's going to happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ascension last-turning is probably the worst -- with the expansion even more so than Nightfall I'd say. I dig it though, gotta enjoy it when you get it and just accept it as part of the bargain when you don't. :D

ps where's my damn neuroshima update....

Smiley90

J0dy77

Ascension last-turning is probably the worst -- with the expansion even more so than Nightfall I'd say. I dig it though, gotta enjoy it when you get it and just accept it as part of the bargain when you don't. :D

ps where's my damn neuroshima update....

Speaking of Neuroshima, is it worth the current $5 price tag or should I wait for a sale? I'm trying the lite version now but have been wrapped up with Ascension of late.

Added my gamecenter name to the GAF iOS board game thread. Anyone up for a game, feel free to add me.

Heel

Speaking of Neuroshima, is it worth the current $5 price tag or should I wait for a sale? I'm trying the lite version now but have been wrapped up with Ascension of late.

Added my gamecenter name to the GAF iOS board game thread. Anyone up for a game, feel free to add me.

Well, it went on sale monthly for $3 until recently. I have a feeling once they wrap up their update they'll start doing sales again.

http://appshopper.com/games/neuroshima-hex

I'm just going to wait and see. So many games on my plate right now. Just got Ra and Tikal haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Neuroshima is absolutely one of the best iOS board games out there. I'd put it way ahead of all the Codito stuff, and probably behind only Carcassonne IF the async implementation is done right. That was the only thing ever holding it back. The update is getting retinals and async, so you might as well wait for that. But IF the async is even halfway decent there is literally no excuse for anyone ITT not to get it.

Smiley90

Neuroshima is absolutely one of the best iOS board games out there. I'd put it way ahead of all the Codito stuff, and probably behind only Carcassonne IF the async implementation is done right. That was the only thing ever holding it back. The update is getting retinals and async, so you might as well wait for that. But IF the async is even halfway decent there is literally no excuse for anyone ITT not to get it.

With good async I think it'll be up there, right after Carc and Ascension (and maybe on the level of Nightfall)

sladeums

One downside, for me at least, to Neuroshima Hex is the fact that you have to learn and memorize quite a few symbols in order to understand and play the game.

There is no text on the pieces, rather everything is communicated by plus signs, white equilateral triangles, black numbers in white circles, elongated black isosceles triangles, elongated white isosceles triangles in black circles, black equilateral triangles in white circles, cross hatched triangles, semi circles, swooshy arrows, white plus signs in black circles, hourglasses, arrows, white numbers in black circles ... and probably a few others I'm missing.

I've spent probably 3 separate hours with the main game and the Puzzle game and each time I kinda have to start all over and still don't really get it all.

But maybe I'm a little obtuse, I dunno.
But, it seems like it can be a little overwhelming initially, imo ... though not utterly impenetrable I gather.

Heel

Oh I'm sure it's worth $5. The iOS ecosystem turns me into such a cheapskate. I mean, what's $2 difference? It must be horrible for developers, haha. The sales do get me to buy things that I probably never would otherwise though, so I guess it balances out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One downside, for me at least, to Neuroshima Hex is the fact that you have to learn and memorize quite a few symbols in order to understand and play the game.

There is no text on the pieces, rather everything is communicated by plus signs, white equilateral triangles, black numbers in white circles, elongated black isosceles triangles, elongated white isosceles triangles in black circles, black equilateral triangles in white circles, cross hatched triangles, semi circles, swooshy arrows, white plus signs in black circles, hourglasses, arrows, white numbers in black circles ... and probably a few others I'm missing.

I've spent probably 3 separate hours with the main game and the Puzzle game and each time I kinda have to start all over and still don't really get it all.

But, it seems like it can be a little overwhelming initially, imo ... though not utterly impenetrable I gather.

this describes all the symbols (last two pages): http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/5jjuzfbyak/NeuroshimaHex_v1.pdf?

yeah once you play a dozen or so games it's actually really simple at its core and just a very fun tactical game

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't really see what's complicated about that explanation if you know the basic rules though.

I agree it's not as basic as Carc. I think it's easier to learn than Nightfall though.

Brakara

Nah, I feel exactly the same about it. Way too complex to learn for my taste.

I like board games that are easy to learn, but hard to master. Not difficult to learn and almost impossible to master.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you guys are way overrating how hard neuroshima hex is to learn imo. not sure why, but it's barely a middleweight game.

Heel

How do I use the Snake Shaman's effect to convert runes into points in Ascension? The card is glowing but I dunno how to activate it...

EDIT: Nevermind I'm blind.

Heel

Hahaha, making a deck with no Heavy Infantry is really stupid when you can't manage to buy cards that give you attack points. I should've abandoned this strategy way earlier into the game.

Lesson learned.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hahaha, making a deck with no Heavy Infantry is really stupid when you can't manage to buy cards that give you attack points. I should've abandoned this strategy way earlier into the game.

Lesson learned.

dude that game is a mess. i hate games where i go halvsies on strategy and i think we both did it there

Heel

dude that game is a mess. i hate games where i go halvsies on strategy and i think we both did it there

I did it even worse in a game with sladeums man, lol. Seriously, I did not have a single attack card. Horrible idea!

Great game in that last one sladeums. I really caught up once I got that Dream Machine out of your hand. It seemed like ages before you got it back too. Lucky break.

sladeums

I did it even worse in a game with sladeums man, lol. Seriously, I did not have a single attack card. Horrible idea!

Great game in that last one sladeums. I really caught up once I got that Dream Machine out of your hand. It seemed like ages before you got it back too. Lucky break.

Yeah, I had way too much shit in my deck and not enough banish cards to thin it out.
You had a couple really good turns in the end to pull it out.

Heel

Yeah really. I got a card that let me copy a hero effect in the center row right when the one that gives you a ton of attack points popped up. Fun game.

Smiley90

Lesson learned.

I remember a game, no idea who it was against, where both me and my opponent stacked Mystics and no Infantry. We had like 10 turns where we would only be drawing mystics because the center was full of 5+ strength monsters and neither of us wanted to bend first. :(

Top Bottom