• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad, I tried to invite you to Neuroshima Hex, but for some reason you don't show up on the invite list. Weirdness, it seems fickle. Might be because I don't have any expansions.

Sometimes I love the goblins and sometimes I hate them.

I'm playing Smiley and he's rocking the dwarves. He killed a couple of my goblins that were on the front line. My hand had a wall, the event that lets 0 cost summons attack twice, and the event that lets 3 0 cost summons move two spaces. I also had two slingers.

I played everything in my hand without using a single magic point. At the end of my turn, the board looked like this:

goblins.png

Hell yeah.

Edit: I have an archer in the bottom left?! I never see that guy!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sometimes I love the goblins and sometimes I hate them.

I'm playing Smiley and he's rocking the dwarves. He killed a couple of my goblins that were on the front line. My hand had a wall, the event that lets 0 cost summons attack twice, and the event that lets 3 0 cost summons move two spaces. I also had two slingers.

I played everything in my hand without using a single magic point. At the end of my turn, the board looked like this:

goblins.png

Hell yeah.

Edit: I have an archer in the bottom left?! I never see that guy!

Board looks much nicer now :p

Also, my goblin vs goblin game with Astro... Too many cards on the board at once, I wish I had more dice luck :p

Also had a brutal 3xtwo hits in a row with the fury tundra champion in my game with CzarTim, ouch :/ there I had the dice luck :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Board looks much nicer now :p

Also, my goblin vs goblin game with Astro... Too many cards on the board at once, I wish I had more dice luck :p

DO NOT LIKE gob v gob. Very messy. I think just an option to have random non-mirror matches would work best.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty much. We thought it was easier that way. Especially since we regularly do 2v2 by ourselves

Cool. I am debating whether to get the individual mega-sets as well. That's a lot of moolah. But soooo cool. Damn you Playdek for making me love board games I previously didn't give a crap about or actively disliked!

CzarTim

Man the fact that Orcs have two freezes is crazy to me. That can completely shut down some classes (like Vangaurds). The whole class seems crazy OP to me right now. That fury move is insane.

octobot

Cool. I am debating whether to get the individual mega-sets as well. That's a lot of moolah. But soooo cool. Damn you Playdek for making me love board games I previously didn't give a crap about or actively disliked!

I have the master set and have played it probably once. But I was eyeing those dice and some additional factions too. . Maybe at gen con. iOS bard gaming is both easy and hard on the wallet lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have the master set and have played it probably once. But I was eyeing those dice and some additional factions too. . Maybe at gen con. iOS bard gaming is both easy and hard on the wallet lol

I owned the original orcs v dwarves or whatever and sold it haha (part of the reason was the crappy paper board though, which has now been replaced, though I'm still not a big fan of the card stock).

octobot

Wish there was an undo button for summoner wars. There are times I do things that I don't want (whether due to lack of knowledge of the game or ui) and its a bummer. Also goblins are crazy

Man the fact that Orcs have two freezes is crazy to me. That can completely shut down some classes (like Vangaurds). The whole class seems crazy OP to me right now. That fury move is insane.

They have 3 freezes or the AI was cheating when it slapped three on one of my champions (or do the Orcs have a card that lets you dig through discard?).

I tend to agree that they seem to need nerfing. Between freeze, the ice walls+summoner power, and the "two free commons/steal some magic" cards it seems like they have too high of an ability to shut down a player getting unlucky draws. Yeah, their Shamans are pretty gimped, but even that 4-health unit that takes all damage still tends to eat up multiple attacks just to get rid of it (not sure what their champs are like). Mostly though, I kinda feel freeze needs to be cut in half or modified to allow specials or attacks or something, because some of the teams seem to be kinda reliant on the summoner functioning and potentially requiring 6 magic just to use it is really steep.

Also, is there something in the official rules that prohibits canceling? Obviously once the dice are rolled that should be it but I've managed to play cards without realizing they were totally worthless or worse, or alternatively zoomed in on a card and hit that giant grey bar by mistake, and don't understand why I can't just cancel that action.

Smiley90

Astro literally commited suicide in his game against me. Had me perfectly cornered but then switched in his full health summoner to go for the kill in his next turn........ Only to get his summoner from max health to death in my turn. Lol.

I got lucky your units were so perfectly set up that they were within 2 spaces :p
That's the nature of the default goblin deck though. They are intended to swarm a high priority target or to use events to viciously swarm over all the enemy units. If you've just finished doing the former then you are a prime target for that champion.

With the most recent move....did you realize I had used goblin invincibility before you pumped up your champion +2? It seemed wasted to me.

Smiley90

That's the nature of the default goblin deck though. They are intended to swarm a high priority target or to use events to viciously swarm over all the enemy units. If you've just finished doing the former then you are a prime target for that champion.

With the most recent move....did you realize I had used goblin invincibility before you pumped up your champion +2? It seemed wasted to me.

Yeah I realized it... AFTER i did it. -facepalm- such is the nature of the game :(

I'm having so much fun with this game, goddamn, I should be doing work.... -.- w/e. :p just still trying to find details/tactics of all the default decks, then I'll take a look at the reinforcements :p

Yeah I realized it... AFTER i did it. -facepalm- such is the nature of the game :(

I'm having so much fun with this game, goddamn, I should be doing work.... -.- w/e. :p just still trying to find details/tactics of all the default decks, then I'll take a look at the reinforcements :p
I'm having fun goofing around with customization a bit, but I haven't touched mercenaries yet. I haven't played against anyone yet with a customized deck.

I'm doing work between turns -- but that doesn't leave much time with the number of games I'm playing. :p I think I can uninstall Hero Academy now. I only ever played one game, and it didn't really click for me.

my wife just knocked my ELO down 31 points in a single head to head game.

fuuuuuuuuuuu
Wife? I thought you liked fat dudes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astro literally commited suicide in his game against me. Had me perfectly cornered but then switched in his full health summoner to go for the kill in his next turn........ Only to get his summoner from max health to death in my turn. Lol.

Haha it's cool. Fortune favors the bold. (Usually.) :D

Scrabble--let me log back into Neuroshima. Might be because I haven't since the update.

Haha it's cool. Fortune favors the bold. (Usually.) :D

Scrabble--let me log back into Neuroshima. Might be because I haven't since the update.
That was a quick game of Summoner Wars, but it really could have gone either way. I had my fingers crossed.

Astro was in a position where very few units were on the board. I was the Jungle Elves, and I set my summoner 2 spaces away and an archer just behind. I hit with the archer first and then managed to get all 3 hits with my summoner to take out his summoner. I got 2 achievements from that too -- Swift Victory and the summoner killing summoner one. If I didn't summon that elephant, I think I would have had a 3rd too.

Never had a game so quick. My record still speaks for my skill though. 3 - 7. :p

gazele

Banned
Wish there was an undo button for summoner wars. There are times I do things that I don't want (whether due to lack of knowledge of the game or ui) and its a bummer. Also goblins are crazy

Agreed on the undo and the mirroring although I guess no undo could be a design decision, frustrating though

Started 0-3 so I'll take 6-6 lol

Really liking the jungle elves and just started customizing my decks, hopefully I don't mess them up haha

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
People should get Nightfall. It's a fun game that I feel is almost underrated now since it's not as good as Ascension or Summoner Wars. Very nice change of pace game imo, and will probably improve with Expansion 1 just as Ascension did. Everyone pimp the sale in the iOS thread when it's on. :D

Heel

DIdnt you will into existence the ascension ROTF sale as well?

Yeah I bought it a day before the sale, haha. Can't complain though, I'd say it's the best $5 I've spent on iOS. I'm sure Nightfall is the same, just have to get around to playing it!

tm24

Yeah I bought it a day before the sale, haha. Can't complain though, I'd say it's the best $5 I've spent on iOS. I'm sure Nightfall is the same, just have to get around to playing it!

Im in the same boat. Bought it, played a few games vs the cpu than school happened

The crashing on Summoner Wars has gotten crazy for me. I can't load a game while listening to Downcast. I can't edit decks and name them without it crashing. Every time I get a notification while playing it crashes. Half the time it crashes when I press the next game button. It crashes if I go to Game List from a game and not Return to Lobby.

I love the game, but this is getting tedious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The crashing on Summoner Wars has gotten crazy for me. I can't load a game while listening to Downcast. I can't edit decks and name them without it crashing. Every time I get a notification while playing it crashes. Half the time it crashes when I press the next game button. It crashes if I go to Game List from a game and not Return to Lobby.

I love the game, but this is getting tedious.

Playdek tweeted to email them about any issues (haven't had any myself but I'm on an iPad3):
Please send a DETAILED e-mail to TEAM @ http://PlaydekGames.com if you are still having any challenges with Summoner Wars. Thank you.

Playdek tweeted to email them about any issues (haven't had any myself but I'm on an iPad3):
Please send a DETAILED e-mail to TEAM @ http://PlaydekGames.com if you are still having any challenges with Summoner Wars. Thank you.
Yeah. I emailed them on the first day and they were understandably clogged with server issue emails. I've since been in contact with them and just sent them a very detailed email. I've been keeping notes on ways that I've been able to reliably repro these issues and the rates at which I encounter them.

I'm hoping it will help provide some stability to a future update -- Playdek seems pretty awesome about ensuring their apps are super high quality, which is awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Le Havre update. Pretty excited about the direction as I really love this game.

What's New in Version 1.1
Various bug fixes and a few improvements.

New features:
- tap your goods to see a detailed view (so you can read food and energy values)
- tap the round card to show round summary
- "Last Moves" always shown when resuming an online game (make sure "Turn Msgs" are on in Options)

We will be tackling larger issues like iPad Retina, AI improvements, UI tweaks, etc. in the next update.

Thanks to everyone who has bought the game so far! Please remember to rate the game again after you update.

Happy gaming!

Top Bottom