• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

eznark

Banned
Are you sure you double click random? If you just click random once and enter then it wob't randomize, you have to double click randomize and then the window will go away.

Also, another reason to have a neutral party do the randomizations. I'm strictly against giving favorizations to lower seeds though, we don't do it for carc and asc and no sports tournament does it, ever. Seed based on win/loss percentage, then go from there. Randomization is way easier than pick and choose, if there's mirrors so be it/the organizer can rerandomize.

Yeah, if you don't double click nothing happens. So, I sort of have to be double clicking. Seems like there is a massive bias to the faction you last picked manually.

I finally said fuck it and picked the dwarves. 25 games in and never a single dwarf random.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh yeah when I said random I mean someone just doing it offline like assign numbers to each faction and then use a randomizer. Or if butzo wants to write a script. :D

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of seeding? Aka being better at the game actually puts you at a disadvantage... This ain't about "fun for everyone game", this is about who's the best based on skill, not vetoig and first picking :p strongly against this.

Do random faction draws, best of 3, that's the best solution IMHO. Someone not participating/trustworthy does the randomization.
I'd still rather play the whole tournament having selected my favourite 3 factions, one per match, no duplication.

I know there are factions that are not fun for me to play as and I wouldn't want to play as them. I assume other people feel the same way.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd still rather play the whole tournament having selected my favourite 3 factions, one per match, no duplication.

I know there are factions that are not fun for me to play as and I wouldn't want to play as them. I assume other people feel the same way.

But I feel like to be worthy to be crowned King of SW-GAF you should be able to win with any faction, not just be specialized on 1,2. There's a reason the Tennis ranking isn't just based on one kind of surface, despite some players being clearly better on some - the nr1 player is usually someone who's good on all of them. (if anyone in here knows Tennis)

EDIT: Nightfall update is out, no expansion yet, what does it do? Does "UI improvements" mean there's a "next game" button now?

This is why I hate playing against goblins :p :

hategoblins.png

I decided to customize a Cloak deck to see if I could make them more like another faction:

But I feel like to be worthy to be crowned King of SW-GAF you should be able to win with any faction, not just be specialized on 1,2. There's a reason the Tennis ranking isn't just based on one kind of surface, despite some players being clearly better on some - the nr1 player is usually someone who's good on all of them. (if anyone in here knows Tennis)
I guess I'm comparing it with other card game tournaments. If you go to play in a Magic tournament, no one randomly assigns you colours or a deck archetype. You get to choose what you want to play, and then if you play it the best against the field you win. The idea behind choosing 3 factions is so that people don't feel like a particular faction dominates the tournament and to give you some variety instead of having the same match ups all the time.

There are different ways to play each faction -- especially when considering reinforcements -- so it makes it very interesting how people have chosen to work with one faction compared to how someone else does it.

Smiley90

I guess I'm comparing it with other card game tournaments. If you go to play in a Magic tournament, no one randomly assigns you colours or a deck archetype. You get to choose what you want to play, and then if you play it the best against the field you win. The idea behind choosing 3 factions is so that people don't feel like a particular faction dominates the tournament and to give you some variety instead of having the same match ups all the time.

There are different ways to play each faction -- especially when considering reinforcements -- so it makes it very interesting how people have chosen to work with one faction compared to how someone else does it.

In magic, "building" a deck is one of the biggest themes of the game though, unlike SW :p closer would probably be fighting games, where people can just choose whoever they want. :p

Smiley90

Idea: how about for every matchup (or round), 2 factions are randomly picked (or chosen works too!) Player A gets team A, player B team B for the first game, for the second game player A gets team B and player B gets team A. Whoever wins 2 matches in a row wins the duel.

That way, there's a) no mirrors, B) there is no "advantage" of strong teams, as you can't win the duel without also winning with the "weaker" team. Only disadvantage is that matchups might draw out, if both players keep winning after each other.

It'd be like a shootout! ;) input?

CzarTim

Idea: how about for every matchup (or round), 2 factions are randomly picked (or chosen works too!) Player A gets team A, player B team B for the first game, for the second game player A gets team B and player B gets team A. Whoever wins 2 matches in a row wins the duel.

That way, there's a) no mirrors, B) there is no "advantage" of strong teams, as you can't win the duel without also winning with the "weaker" team. Only disadvantage is that matchups might draw out, if both players keep winning after each other.

It'd be like a shootout! ;) input?

I like this.

blackflag

Hey, they're definitely winnable, just harder :p i'm actually 2/0 with them and 3/1 with the Cloaks, no idea how. My worst ones are actually phoenix elves/odin/fallen kingdom where I'm 1/1... Best is not surprisigly tundra orcs at 3/0.

I'm actually 8-0 with Dwarves and 3-0 with Orcs. 0-2 with elves and 3-4 with fallen.

I haven't tried vanguard but my friend played against me irl with them and it seemed horrible. I still like the fallen best then the dwarves I guess.

Smiley90

I like this.

I think picking teams would make it even more awesome, instead of randomizing. Are you picking a team that you're strong with, risking that the other player will also beat you with it every time? Or will you pick a weak one that you think you might win with but the other guy will most likely always lose? Or a compromise? The downside to picking is that both might pick the same team, while randomizing guarantees no mirror.

CzarTim

I think picking teams would make it even more awesome, instead of randomizing. Are you picking a team that you're strong with, risking that the other player will also beat you with it every time? Or will you pick a weak one that you think you might win with but the other guy will most likely always lose? Or a compromise? The downside to picking is that both might pick the same team, while randomizing guarantees no mirror.

Sorry past Smiley, I like present Smiley's idea better.

Yeah, the only problem with this is people picking the better races for every single match will make for a boring tournament. Astro mentioned this at the beginning. That's why I suggested picking 3 factions and only using them once each per pairing. You still get to pick your faction, but no one faction will dominate the tournament, and you will need to show skill in more than one faction in order to win -- showing that you are truly the king of SW GAF!

I managed to boost a Reaper in my game with blackflag to 5 strength... and he's still at full health too. Sorry :/
Did you boost him by killing your own guys? It seems like an efficient way to raise a Reaper.

Smiley90

Yeah, the only problem with this is people picking the better races for every single match will make for a boring tournament. Astro mentioned this at the beginning. That's why I suggested picking 3 factions and only using them once each per pairing. You still get to pick your faction, but no one faction will dominate the tournament, and you will need to show skill in more than one faction in order to win -- showing that you are truly the king of SW GAF!

Did you boost him by killing your own guys? It seems like an efficient way to raise a Reaper.

why would it be a boring tournament? Who says people will pick the strongest teams? Personally, I would NOT pick the Tundra Orcs, simply because they're so strong that beating them if the other guy is playing it would be hard. I think I'd pick Vanguard or Cloaks, because I do quite well with them but my opponent might not. So I'd be hoping the other guy picks a strong team like the Dwarves with which I'd win and then he'd hopefully lose playing the Dwarves himself, or at least I'd be more likely to win with the Vanguard/Cloaks than he is.

And no, I didn't despite that definitely being an interesting idea... but they're usually too easy to kill that wasting my own units on it seems like... a waste, yeah. :p but no, blackflag kept feeding me dwarves :D

Smiley90

14-6

Lol I dunno I just kinda hurt you. It is wide open now. Intense game

JESUS CHRIST WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

That was intense, and of course you'd have a 4/4 roll and then I'd roll 3 1's in a row my turn. This game man, this game.

Argh! I keep somehow not picking the Berserker attack that hits all adjacent enemy units. I keep dragging from the right hand side of the card, but it almost never kicks in. When I zoom in and try it won't let me select an attack.

This is super frustrating.

why would it be a boring tournament? Who says people will pick the strongest teams? Personally, I would NOT pick the Tundra Orcs, simply because they're so strong that beating them if the other guy is playing it would be hard. I think I'd pick Vanguard or Cloaks, because I do quite well with them but my opponent might not. So I'd be hoping the other guy picks a strong team like the Dwarves with which I'd win and then he'd hopefully lose playing the Dwarves himself, or at least I'd be more likely to win with the Vanguard/Cloaks than he is.
I don't think I understand your suggestion. Are you saying that instead of picking the faction we play as, we pick our opponent's faction? That is a very interesting idea.

blackflag

JESUS CHRIST WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

That was intense, and of course you'd have a 4/4 roll and then I'd roll 3 1's in a row my turn. This game man, this game.

I just accidentally did the stupidest thing. I wish I could take back non dice roll moves before I move to the next phase.

Smiley90

I don't think I understand your suggestion. Are you saying that instead of picking the faction we play as, we pick our opponent's faction? That is a very interesting idea.

I say we ALTERNATE factions. Let me explain.

At the beginning of the game, we both pick a team, say, I pick Vanguard and you pick Orcs.

We start the game, I play as Vanguard, you play as Orcs. You'd probably win, let's assume.

Next game, I'd play as Orcs, you'd play as Vanguard. I'd win this time, so next round.

You're playing Orcs, I'm playing Vanguard again. This time, I win and that means I move on, because I won twice in a row.

It'll come down to "who is more likely to win with the weaker team", so you'd probably be tempted to pick a "weak" team that you play quite well. Or will you pick a team that you're EXTREMELY good with and know you won't lose, hoping you'll win with the other team eventually? Or are you going totally out of the way and pick a lesser played team?

I just accidentally did the stupidest thing. I wish I could take back non dice roll moves before I move to the next phase.

I take it you wanted to move your champ to attack my summoner? :D

sladeums

Argh! I keep somehow not picking the Berserker attack that hits all adjacent enemy units. I keep dragging from the right hand side of the card, but it almost never kicks in. When I zoom in and try it won't let me select an attack.

This is super frustrating.

Tap his image once, don't hold and drag.

Smiley90

That's cool I'm 15-6 and you are 16-7. Good game

I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED THE TURN YET :( And I already read that I lost here?!? not cool man, not cool. I now have 3 losses in a row, and the dwarves are officially my worst team. this is odd.

EDIT: Damn that boost-up card, damn it so hard. and then perfect draw too, if you didn't get it I could've moved and actually protected my Summoner properly, DAMN IT.

blackflag

I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED THE TURN YET :( And I already read that I lost here?!? not cool man, not cool. I now have 3 losses in a row, and the dwarves are officially my worst team. this is odd.

EDIT: Damn that boost-up card, damn it so hard. and then perfect draw too, if you didn't get it I could've moved and actually protected my Summoner properly, DAMN IT.

Yeah game is crazy like that. On that turn I dropped the Zoe guy. He got a perfect boosted roll and the other guy I attacked with got a perfect roll

Smiley90

My games with blackflag and scrabbledude atm can be summed up perfectly by: OMFG THOSE DICE.

I had Odin left next to a wall with 1 HP left, he rolled with 4... and hit a three, which is no hit. His champ then has 2 HP left, I roll with 2... hit nothing. His summoner is in the back with 1 HP left, those are all the units left on the board and our hands are empty. Jesus. this game is soooo intense.

But yeah, awesome game blackflag/scrabbledude, those were great. :D Eeven though I'm losing both of them :(

EDIT: ANOTHER 0/4 by scrabbledude against my 1HP Odin, I'm so nervous now.

EDIT2: DAMNIT, only 1/2, I can't expect him to roll 3 0/4's in a row.. this is probably it. :p

EDIT3: there we go :( My 4th loss in a row, and a 5th is on the brink of happening too, now only 16-8, wtf is wrong with my game. Need sth to get my mojo back on.

Awesome ending to that game, Smiley. It feels like sometimes the dice can hit you hard. I think I burned through a ton of units in my game with Astro because I just couldn't land a single hit.

octobot

If sign ups for the upcoming summoner wars tournament start tomorrow count me in, I'll be away from the Internet till late Friday (also sorry to anyone I have games going on with, but I'll get my turns Friday night)

Smiley90

I just had the most anti-climactic game of SW with Diesel Pioneer... we were like 5 turns in and it's just... over. Wat.

eznark

Banned
I beat scrabble dude in another very well played carc match to take the series. Good job dude, it all hung on that one piece basically.

besada

Banned
I lost to soldat7 in my carc game. Hopefully he'll come along and provide the score, because I forgot to screenshot it or write it down.
It was something like 134 to 158.

I'm in for an Ascencion tournament.

Top Bottom