• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And game 5 has Astrolad crushing me 103 to 62. Congrats Astro and good games!

Great games octobot, games 1-4 especially were crazy intense. I think all of them came down to last turns or close to it. Heart was actually pounding on some of those. (Yes, I am a nerd.)

Thanks for setting up the tournament! Really do love the format. Now if only there weren't such a thing as shipping costs I'd happily give out prizes (little games I have around that I don't get much chance to play). :D

Slacker

I really hope the Orc and dwarf numbers go down a bit, it seems pretty well balanced, but the orcs specifically seem too high.

This brings up interesting questions. I wonder if the game's developer would consider balance changes based on stats like this. Obviously, board game balancing is done through offline playtesting, but I imagine they didn't have 10,000 playtests in one week. This seems like invaluable information for a designer to get a hold of.

Would Playdek be allowed to change the mechanics in a game they ported? Or is that solely up to the designers? Would the game's designers think about introducing expansions for the iOS version first for quick easy playtesting before going to print with a real-life version?

octobot

Great games octobot, games 1-4 especially were crazy intense. I think all of them came down to last turns or close to it.

Thanks for setting up the tournament! Really do love the format. Now if only there weren't such a thing as shipping costs I'd happily give out prizes (little games I have around that I don't get much chance to play). :D

I Agee that games 1-4 were intense. Game 5 started weird and it became clear about half way that I was in big trouble lol. Still great matches throughout the tournament and can't wait till next one!

I wonder if the game's developer would consider balance changes based on stats like this. Obviously, board game balancing is done through offline playtesting, but I imagine they didn't have 10,000 playtests in one week. This seems like invaluable information for a designer to get a hold of.

Yeah, I also wonder if they are better, or maybe just easier to play. Whatever it is, the stats are pretty balanced, I just want it to be MORE balanced.

This brings up interesting questions. I wonder if the game's developer would consider balance changes based on stats like this. Obviously, board game balancing is done through offline playtesting, but I imagine they didn't have 10,000 playtests in one week. This seems like invaluable information for a designer to get a hold of.

Would Playdek be allowed to change the mechanics in a game they ported? Or is that solely up to the designers? Would the game's designers think about introducing expansions for the iOS version first for quick easy playtesting before going to print with a real-life version?
Could you customize your deck with reinforcements and mercenaries to combat the advantages of orcs and dwarves?

Keep in mind not everyone playing knows how to play yet -- I sure don't.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm fairly confident they won't adjust the decks, because a) it's not their game, they just ported it, b) the original factions are old enough that if there was a balance issue with them the original producer would've already corrected that? B) it's still early on for iOS play and not many people know everything. E.g. Cloaks have the lowest win percentage, but I still have no idea what use to make of the summoner ability. I'm sure there's an awesome combo somewhere and then when people find it they'll be better. Orcs are a fairly straight forward deck, so easier to play well ;)

Draxal

Could you customize your deck with reinforcements and mercenaries to combat the advantages of orcs and dwarves?

Keep in mind not everyone playing knows how to play yet -- I sure don't.

Nah, mercs don't change the game that much. It's just more knowing about the enemy factions. For example, Guild Dwarves are strong due to insanely good event cards (2 each of the best comeback cards + 2 bonus to attack), strong champions, and one of the best commons in the game (the defender for his ability to lock down). You pretty much have to keep all your champions unexposed because the Dwarves can have a +5 champion beating on him at any second, and make sure you don't have more units then them due to comeback cards.

I'm fairly confident they won't adjust the decks, because a) it's not their game, they just ported it, b) the original factions are old enough that if there was a balance issue with them the original producer would've already corrected that? B) it's still early on for iOS play and not many people know everything. E.g. Cloaks have the lowest win percentage, but I still have no idea what use to make of the summoner ability. I'm sure there's an awesome combo somewhere and then when people find it they'll be better. Orcs are a fairly straight forward deck, so easier to play well ;)

They have errated the cards in the past, but I think power balancing is just going to come from future sets.

Smiley90

They have errated the cards in the past, but I think power balancing is just going to come from future sets.

That's what I said ;) The original Producer is/was responsible for balancing and those factions have been out long enough to correct the biggest balancing mistakes, the rest you can make up for with knowing your team and the opponent's team. And like you said, new factions will be added that might be better able to counter certain cards.

That's what I said ;) The original Producer is/was responsible for balancing and those factions have been out long enough to correct the biggest balancing mistakes, the rest you can make up for with knowing your team and the opponent's team. And like you said, new factions will be added that might be better able to counter certain cards.
Plus new summoners, commons, champions, and events are being developed for all factions. As long as they can be intermingled, customization is going to be huge. They can also use these new releases to help correct any balance issues.

blackflag

Loving Summoner Wars. Surprised Fallen Kingdom is so low on win %. I think that may come up some. I seem to usually do pretty well except for when I goof and leave summoner exposed or something super dumb like I tend to do.

Loving Summoner Wars. Surprised Fallen Kingdom is so low on win %. I think that may come up some. I seem to usually do pretty well except for when I goof and leave summoner exposed or something super dumb like I tend to do.
Crap. The dice rolls just went very badly for me. :(

Well I think you still got this one. Would take a miracle for me.

yeah your archer just magic locked and I needed that magic point to summon someone with my summoner to even probably have a chance. :)
I have to ask, my bigger concern was your wall. Why didn't you use your archer to kill your wall? It gives you an extra point of magic. I was sitting around avoiding your attack specifically so I could grab that magic point. :p

blackflag

I have to ask, my bigger concern was your wall. Why didn't you use your archer to kill your wall? It gives you an extra point of magic. I was sitting around avoiding your attack specifically so I could grab that magic point. :p

Uhh I actually didn't notice that walls go to the magic pile. I know now lol.

Good game. I got dominated that time. I'll start another one later.

Smiley90

Well I think you still got this one. Would take a miracle for me.

yeah your archer just magic locked and I needed that magic point to summon someone with my summoner to even probably have a chance. :)

I've been clinging to my last breath in my game with you for a few turns now... NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT :p

I think now I'm done though :( 11-2 after that loss :(

blackflag

I've been clinging to my last breath in my game with you for a few turns now... NOT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT :p

I think now I'm done though :( 11-2 after that loss :(

Nice game though. I saw that record after I beat you. Made me happier :). Mine is only 9-6. Better than 0-3 which is I think how I started.

Smiley90

Nice game though. I saw that record after I beat you. Made me happier :). Mine is only 9-6. Better than 0-3 which is I think how I started.

I made the game like 6 turns longer than necessary by running and blocking your path lol. But yeah, Fallen Kingdom is one of the more intricate sets, I need some more practice with it :p

Slacker

CARCASSONNE TOURNEY 2

ABSOLUTE LAST CHANCE TO SIGN UP IS EXACTLY RIGHT NOW. :) I'm going to send the seeding information to Heel to set it up in just a few minutes so if you want to slide in at the last minute go for it. Otherwise we'll get the bracket posted here in a bit and we can get playing. Info right here if you want in.

Heel

I'll ask the iOS thread for a few participants. Hopefully we can get a full bracket of 32.

Also, could you update my tournament ELO to 1298? It's falling in line to where I actually belong, haha.

Astro, I have some iOS download codes for your tournament wins if you'd like to pick a few. Just let me know.

LostWinds
SpellTower
Dummy Defense
Cut the Rope
Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty
Rollerhog
Eden: Worldbuilder
Pandemic 2.5
Ski Safari
Doodle God
Plague, Inc.

Heel

Vard and butz, did you ever run a bronze match?

NeoGAFAscension.png

sladeums

I'll ask the iOS thread for a few participants. Hopefully we can get a full bracket of 32.

Also, could you update my tournament ELO to 1298? It's falling in line to where I actually belong, haha.

Astro, I have some iOS download codes for your tournament wins if you'd like to pick a few. Just let me know.

You could add me in for fodder if you really need to fill out a bracket.
Give preference to anyone that actually wants to compete, tho.

sladeums | sladeums (1130)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

LostWinds
SpellTower
Dummy Defense
Cut the Rope
Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty
Rollerhog
Eden: Worldbuilder
Pandemic 2.5
Ski Safari
Doodle God
Plague, Inc.
The only ones I have out of those is SpellTower, Ski Safari, and Cut the Rope. Send me whichever one of the remaining ones you think is best. :D Thanks!

Heel

The only ones I have out of those is SpellTower, Ski Safari, and Cut the Rope. Send me whichever one of the remaining ones you think is best. :D Thanks!

You absolutely need Plague Inc. in your life. People seem to really like LostWinds so I'll throw that in too. Check your PMs.

I'll get in on it! First timer, easy target :D

Can only play in the evening though, EST. Am on iTouch and can't get wifi at work. Lemme know if that works for you guys.

Slacker

I'll get in on it! First timer, easy target :D

Can only play in the evening though, EST. Am on iTouch and can't get wifi at work. Lemme know if that works for you guys.

All right, welcome aboard. And that means we are DONE. Bracket will be posted shortly.

Ghost Dad, can you give me your friend ELO and your gamecenter name? Thanks!

Heel

NeoGAF Carcassonne Tournament 2

- Bracket names are formatted as “NeoGAF | GameCenter (Carcassonne Friend ELO rating).
- Single game matches against each opponent.
- Double elimination.
- Use the base set with no expansions.
- Feel free to work out whether you’ll play async or live with your opponent.
- Report the results of your matches in the iOS Online Boardgame Megathread on NeoGAF.

View the detailed bracket here.

NeoGAF Carcassonne Tournament 2

- Bracket names are formatted as “NeoGAF | GameCenter (Carcassonne Friend ELO rating).
- Single game matches against each opponent.
- Double elimination.
- Use the base set with no expansions.
- Feel free to work out whether you’ll play async or live with your opponent.
- Report the results of your matches in the iOS Online Boardgame Megathread on NeoGAF.

View the detailed bracket here.

Gonna be a short tourney for me AstroLad! Even if When I get passed InaudibleWhisper, im just gonna lose to destroy Astro in the next round! I like a challenge being awesome.

Edited for accuracy.

Heel

Gonna be a short tourney for me! Even if I get passed InaudibleWhisper, im just gonna lose to Astro in the next round! I like a challenge.

Yeah, I'm running into Yaboosh if I make it past my first match. He eliminated me in the last tournament, haha. I guess that's what double elimination is for!

Okay ScrabbleDude, I was unrealistically hoping for all 6 there lol.
Haha! I have to admit, I had a really big "oh shit" moment when you did that. I'm still super new to the game and I think I've only played against the dwarves once in an AI match. I have no idea what they can or can't do.

Edit: It's probably pretty obvious that I've never player as the goblins before either. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Summoner Wars turns are intense. yaaaaaargh. So used to Ascension where I can do even a complicated turn in ten seconds. Sure I'll get the hang of it though -- half of it is just knowing all the characters cold which will take at least a month. I do wish you could customize events, at least to my newb mine some of them are just pure magic-fodder.

Edit: And thanks for the codes Heel!

Smiley90

For the loser-bracket/winner-bracket final, it'll be loser-bracket person needs two wins to win, while the winner-bracket person only needs 1, right? Since it's double-elimination an the person from the winner bracket would've never lost, while the one from the loser bracket already did?

blackflag

Haha! I have to admit, I had a really big "oh shit" moment when you did that. I'm still super new to the game and I think I've only played against the dwarves once in an AI match. I have no idea what they can or can't do.

Edit: It's probably pretty obvious that I've never player as the goblins before either. :p

I'm getting the hang of it too. I bought the master set board version but only played it once and they were all different races than these. These must be the originals. Hopefully we'll get the new ones sometime too.

I have enough learning for now though. Gotta memorize cards and what each race can do.

I haven't tried those goblins yet.

Heel

So for the Carc tournament, what does double elimination mean?

You have to lose twice to be eliminated.

After your first loss you're knocked into the lower bracket to play against other people who have lost. You have the opportunity to win your way through the losers bracket, make it to the finals and win the whole tournament.

Top Bottom