• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

CzarTim

smiley90 103 - superrobot 121

That was a tight game. Lucked out with that completed city near the end.
Edit: oh no, CzarTim next.

GTZXb.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
smiley90 103 - superrobot 121

That was a tight game. Lucked out with that completed city near the end.
Edit: oh no, CzarTim next.

Yeah, we both got big roughly equally sized cities through the game, then you being able to finish that last one was the difference maker :/ nice back and forth though, was fun :D now on to the looser bracket, see you next round! :p

EDIT: looks like I'll be playing sladeums then, I hope he won't take the CzarTim loss out on me...

Smiley90

Who is CerenPL? Did one of you guys change your gamecenter-ID? -confused- I'm in a Nightfall game...

The Cloaks Spy event does not work like I thought it did. Astro had 4 cards left and I used it. I knew he had something bad for me in those cards and it was Malevolence. I was not allowed to send a card to his discard pile. Just two on top and two on the bottom. :(

That pretty much removed my only chance of winning that game.

Edit: And it looks like my work has blocked access to Playdek servers. Completely fair, but I've got notifications that 6 games of Summoner Wars and 1 game of Nightfall are waiting on me. :(

Playing a "Quick Game" of Carcassonne.

OMG.

I've never been beaten like that in my life. 14 tiles left and my opponent is winning 71 - 4. All of my meeples have been locked in with no chance of me getting them back.

My opponent times out and I automatically win. Even I know that this isn't really fair. :(

Just lost 2 more summoner wars games, and I have a third loss on the way. Haha.

I don't like playing as vanguards and goblins. They just don't work for me. Haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not sure if bigdaddygamebot and I are going to get our game in -- I can't invite him or get a hold of him to invite me. I'm also going to Hawaii next week which wouldn't usually be a huge problem (I'm a nerd and I take turns at night, even when on vacation) but if I still haven't played my first round game it might be. Maybe just kick us both out? I'm still happy to play but I don't want to hold everything up.

Such a luck dice roll for me. Three straight fury's allow my ice Orc fighter to take down Astro. Gg!
Bastard!
Edit: And it looks like my work has blocked access to Playdek servers. Completely fair, but I've got notifications that 6 games of Summoner Wars and 1 game of Nightfall are waiting on me. :(
Bastards!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Time to buy a wifi hotspot!

Ah, you know me all too well. I actually looked into it and would have pulled the trigger in a hot second, but Verizon was going to force me out of my unlimited plans just for adding a data line and I didn't have the time to puzzle through if that was actually acceptable. Verizon doesn't even let you pay their ridiculous $30 fee anymore for making your phone a wi-fi hotspot -- you now get told to call a number, no doubt so they can tell you you have to drop all your unlimited plans

eznark

Banned
Ah, you know me all too well. I actually looked into it and would have pulled the trigger in a hot second, but Verizon was going to force me out of my unlimited plans just for adding a data line and I didn't have the time to puzzle through if that was actually acceptable. Verizon doesn't even let you pay their ridiculous $30 fee anymore for making your phone a wi-fi hotspot -- you now get told to call a number, no doubt so they can tell you you have to drop all your unlimited plans

I actually meant Scrabble to get around the work block, but you too!

blackflag

My job also blocks the Playdek servers. The LTE iPad comes in handy because my AT&T phone doesn't get good service in my office either. Verizon LTE is total win though.

I actually meant Scrabble to get around the work block, but you too!
I'm considering it. I don't have a personal phone, just a work phone with tethering disabled. I'm just about ready to get a new phone though. New local mobile plan is unlimited talk, text, and data including tethering for $50 all in. I might just bite.

I've got 7 SW notifications now. I like that game quite a bit.

Heel

Good game. I think we both made some mistakes along the way and I got pretty fortunate with the draw to snare me the farm that clinched it.

Yeah, good game. I made some pretty bone headed mistakes. Not keeping a meeple and immediately having to place a 9 point cathedral for nothing is pretty high on that list.

Smiley90

I'm raging after that last turn Smiley

Why, because of the two magic locks? :p

I'm considering it. I don't have a personal phone, just a work phone with tethering disabled. I'm just about ready to get a new phone though. New local mobile plan is unlimited talk, text, and data including tethering for $50 all in. I might just bite.

I've got 7 SW notifications now. I like that game quite a bit.

I have 16.

EDIT: gg chico, I figured you'd get a wall eventually, 1 turn too soon :p then I went all-out and needed 4/5 with the champ but didn't get lucky :(

chicobalay

Neo Member
Smiley90 said:
EDIT: gg chico, I figured you'd get a wall eventually, 1 turn too soon :p then I went all-out and needed 4/5 with the champ but didn't get lucky :(

You died like a man! I was prepared to crumble your walls but you took the honourable way.

GG (it was my first one BTW)

Smiley90

You died like a man! I was prepared to crumble your walls but you took the honourable way.

GG (it was my first one BTW)

Yeah after my champ died I knew I was doomed, I could've either hid behind my walls and die eventually, or just make a run for it and hope for brutal dice luck. Didn't happen :p but was a fun game :D

blackflag

Summoner Wars is really pissing me off now.

Using an iPad 3

Game suddenly crashes every single time I try to create a new game. I closed the app, closed everything else, restarted iPad like 5 times. Nothing will work. I guess I need to try deleting and reinstalling.

CzarTim

Using an iPad 3

Game suddenly crashes every single time I try to create a new game. I closed the app, closed everything else, restarted iPad like 5 times. Nothing will work. I guess I need to try deleting and reinstalling.
Same thing was happening to me. Had to reinstall.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Using an iPad 3

Yeah reinstall. Haven't had a single crash on my iPad 3.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Quick someone think up how to do a Summoner Wars tournament. I think best of 3, randomly generate armies (you can customize within each army of course), no mirror, and no repeat armies for the same player. :D

Quick someone think up how to do a Summoner Wars tournament. I think best of 3, randomly generate armies (you can customize within each army of course), no mirror, and no repeat armies for the same player. :D
Wouldn't you want to play the faction you're best at? Mirror is also interesting, I think.

I don't think the players should know their opponent's faction in advance though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wouldn't you want to play the faction you're best at? Mirror is also interesting, I think.

I don't think the players should know their opponent's faction in advance though.

No because then everyone will cheese orcs and the whole thread will be about complaining about/defending that. :D

I suppose one way you could do it would be to allow blind-submit of 1.2.3. army choices. I like randomness though.

Smiley90

No because then everyone will cheese orcs and the whole thread will be about complaining about/defending that. :D

I suppose one way you could do it would be to allow blind-submit of 1.2.3. army choices. I like randomness though.

But how to do randoms? Wouldn't a third party need to do the randoms and then tell the participants, since you can't force people to randomize in-game... Also, definitely best of 3 to account for bad team matchup luck.

butzopower

proud of his butz
But how to do randoms? Wouldn't a third party need to do the randoms and then tell the participants, since you can't force people to randomize in-game... Also, definitely best of 3 to account for bad team matchup luck.

I could write a quick script to do it.

Fair enough. Best of three is the way to go. I'd hate to see people complaining that they lost because they got a faction they don't know how to play though. Plus, you need to make sure that the people participating have purchased the factions they need -- of course everyone should just buy the bundle.

I'd suggest that everyone pick their three favourite factions to play. Then no repeats in their pairing. This way people could use the orcs, but you'd know they weren't going to choose them more than once. You also would know what factions your opponent is using, but wouldn't know the exact one in order to build against it -- except in a tight 3rd match when both players are doing the same thing. It also doesn't prevent the mirror match, and I think mirror matches are interesting.

Thoughts?

Slacker

Not sure if bigdaddygamebot and I are going to get our game in -- I can't invite him or get a hold of him to invite me. I'm also going to Hawaii next week which wouldn't usually be a huge problem (I'm a nerd and I take turns at night, even when on vacation) but if I still haven't played my first round game it might be. Maybe just kick us both out? I'm still happy to play but I don't want to hold everything up.
I'd say if you don't get any response from him by the end of the week we'll just give him a forfeit. Of course, there are still unplayed matches in the first round so he's not holding up anything yet. We probably should standardize a rule for this now that the tourney suddenly has so many people.

Link for the new page: http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/carcassonne2

Smiley90

Yeah I would be bitching if I got the Vanguards lol.

Hey, they're definitely winnable, just harder :p i'm actually 2/0 with them and 3/1 with the Cloaks, no idea how. My worst ones are actually phoenix elves/odin/fallen kingdom where I'm 1/1... Best is not surprisigly tundra orcs at 3/0.

Smiley90

Ranked based on W/L %. Lower seed gets to pick a faction and veto a faction before the higher seed picks.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of seeding? Aka being better at the game actually puts you at a disadvantage... This ain't about "fun for everyone game", this is about who's the best based on skill, not vetoig and first picking :p strongly against this.

Do random faction draws, best of 3, that's the best solution IMHO. Someone not participating/trustworthy does the randomization.

eznark

Banned
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose of seeding? Aka being better at the game actually puts you at a disadvantage... This ain't about "fun for everyone game", this is about who's the best based on skill, not vetoig and first picking :p strongly against this.

Do random faction draws, best of 3, that's the best solution IMHO. Someone not participating/trustworthy does the randomization.

Sorry that should have been a slash pick a faction/veto a faction. Maybe I've been playing too much dota.

Anyway I think randomization is broken. I just randomed the orcs 6 times in a row.

Smiley90

Sorry that should have been a slash pick a faction/veto a faction. Maybe I've been playing too much dota.

Anyway I think randomization is broken. I just randomed the orcs 6 times in a row.

Are you sure you double click random? If you just click random once and enter then it wob't randomize, you have to double click randomize and then the window will go away.

Also, another reason to have a neutral party do the randomizations. I'm strictly against giving favorizations to lower seeds though, we don't do it for carc and asc and no sports tournament does it, ever. Seed based on win/loss percentage, then go from there. Randomization is way easier than pick and choose, if there's mirrors so be it/the organizer can rerandomize.

Top Bottom