• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

octobot

Astro, not that I would have won, but I had the worse dice luck in that game. My poor scrapers just couldn't land a hit against your summoner.

Thanks, Astro. I've been losing every game I play of Summoner Wars, so it felt good to actually win something. Great game of Carcassonne. Only 2 points is a very tight game -- I got very lucky.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I hate farms so much. I can't resist the temptation of laying down a farmer early and then either trying to make up for the terrible decision with more farms or having to fight someone to keep them from stealing it. I probably put down 3-5 per game...

In one on one, unless you see a large field starting to form, early farmers seems like a big mistake. You can focus so hard on trapping your opponent's meeples that you get a crazy advantage late if they threw down a few farmers early.

I just went through the Tutorial for Nightfall, which took approximately 47 minutes, and I still have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing.

I just went through the Tutorial for Nightfall, which took approximately 47 minutes, and I still have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing.

Haha, yeah.... I had the same problem. Play a few games against the AI, that helped me a lot. It's a hard game to get into, but so much fun when you do.

blahness

Yes the tutorial leaves much to be desired. Read the rule book. It gives a much better description on how the game is played and will take way less than 47 mins.

Yes the tutorial leaves much to be desired. Read the rule book. It gives a much better description on how the game is played and will take way less than 47 mins.
I've played the tutorial, 3 games, and now I've got 3 games on the go. I still don't know what's going on. I also don't think it's a great game for async since you need input from other players more than once every turn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It seems like Astro only plays Goblins, he plays them against me too :p MIX IT UP A LITTLE. :D

Haha and yet I'm the one who advocated pure randomization for the tourney! I do mix it up a little, though I haven't played orcs or fallen kingdom yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MikeWorks/New Nightfall Players: The tutorial is a bit confusing. Probably the weakest part of the app though in fairness it's a more complex game than most. Still, once you get the hang of it, it's an incredibly simple game. Just fun and quick like Ascension. After checking out the tut, check out this guide, which really distills the game to its essence very quickly: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/7t93lqklp0/Nightfall_Quickplay_Guide.pdf?

If you still need more detailed info just ask here or check out the rulebook: http://www.alderac.com/nightfall/files/2011/02/AEG-NF-Rulebook.pdf

Haha and yet I'm the one who advocated pure randomization for the tourney! I do mix it up a little, though I haven't played orcs or fallen kingdom yet.

And then you go and change to jungle elves! Next match you need to go back to goblins. Haha. I felt like I was so close to finally winning last time :p

Edit: we'll I just learned that you can't bump someone back onto a mine you laid in Nueroshima Hex. Damn, that changes everything! I'm not off to a good start in this match, haha.

MikeWorks/New Nightfall Players: The tutorial is a bit confusing. Probably the weakest part of the app though in fairness it's a more complex game than most. Still, once you get the hang of it, it's an incredibly simple game. Just fun and quick like Ascension. After checking out the tut, check out this guide, which really distills the game to its essence very quickly: http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/7t93lqklp0/Nightfall_Quickplay_Guide.pdf?

If you still need more detailed info just ask here or check out the rulebook: http://www.alderac.com/nightfall/files/2011/02/AEG-NF-Rulebook.pdf
Can you upload or PM me the PDF? It says it's expired on the site.

Arghhhh epic game RaySpencer. My win rating is falling fast. Maybe it was a fluke

Yeah, it was crazy! I had you on the ropes, but you had ass loads of magic, then BOOM you got 2 more walls, and all of a sudden had 2 champions on the board, haha. It was crazy close, I nearly died!

Dwarves are pretty OP though it seems, maybe more than the Orcs, just less people play them...

blackflag

Yeah, it was crazy! I had you on the ropes, but you had ass loads of magic, then BOOM you got 2 more walls, and all of a sudden had 2 champions on the board, haha. It was crazy close, I nearly died!

Dwarves are pretty OP though it seems, maybe more than the Orcs, just less people play them...

I think they are better than the orcs. I'm still undefeated with both but I've only played orcs twice

I think they are better than the orcs. I'm still undefeated with both but I've only played orcs twice

I dont think the stats in the app are accurate, but im:

3/0 Dwarves
2/0 Orcs
2/0 Cloaks

but then it gets bad, haha

1/2 Jungle
1/3 Pheonix
0/1 Goblins
0/2 Vangaurds
0/2 Fallen Kingdom

some of that stuff seems wrong though, im sure ive lost more than once as Goblins, and im sure ive won at least one game as the Fallen. I dunno! Ive got a horrible memory though.

The stat tracking in this app is amazing though (assuming its correct), it even tells you what you beat, or lost too. Plus being able to see what your win loss record is vs individual people is amazing. an ELO would be nice, but if I had to choose between this and ELO, I would easily choose this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah that's really cool. Is there a way to see your OVERALL stats vs. each team though? I can only find %s vs. for each faction, not overall (though I do of course have overall W-L with each faction.

I'm realizing I'm crazy reckless with my Summoners because I'm so used to playing with Sneeks. Damn I love that guy.

lol Everyone said Astro is playing only goblins, so I made a deck that would work well against goblins. A customized Fire Elf deck.

Sure enough, he is also playing Fire Elf. Also, surprise surprise, he has made the same customizations that I have!

O-kay. Just got through the Summoner Wars toote and yeah. This is pretty boss. Way easier to get the hang of than Ascension. Does the Everything Bundle really include everything? It doesn't look like it does...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
O-kay. Just got through the Summoner Wars toote and yeah. This is pretty boss. Way easier to get the hang of than Ascension. Does the Everything Bundle really include everything? It doesn't look like it does...

It does, you have to add mercenaries/reinforcements manually though if you want ;) I would suggest getting used to the default decks first though before changing stuff :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slacker: I don't think bigdaddygamebot is making our game. Hasn't responded to invite yet maybe he went out or something no big deal on my end just wanted to let you know.

Summoner Wars: Damn just finished up some great games. Almost escaped by the skin of my teeth on one -- so close. I love/hate those games that come down to a couple rolls so much. And welcome BB! I know you are a huge HA guy so I hope you take to this as well. :) The full pack gives you access to lots of customizations, but most of the base sets are quite good as well. I'd recommend Phoenix Elves, Cave Goblins, or Tundra Orcs for starting out.

tm24

Heh, i think SW is way more complicated than ascension. Ascension the strategy for both sides can be easily figured out by their cards that you know they have. SW you don't know what's coming.

Also, protip: if your guy has an attacking special ability and you want to normal attack, drag the left half of a card. This once cost me a match when i attacked with a spell instead of a 4 precise dice roll

Hereafter

Slacker: I don't think bigdaddygamebot is making our game. Hasn't responded to invite yet maybe he went out or something no big deal on my end just wanted to let you know.

Summoner Wars: Damn just finished up some great games. Almost escaped by the skin of my teeth on one -- so close. I love/hate those games that come down to a couple rolls so much. And welcome BB! I know you are a huge HA guy so I hope you take to this as well. :) The full pack gives you access to lots of customizations, but most of the base sets are quite good as well. I'd recommend Phoenix Elves, Cave Goblins, or Tundra Orcs for starting out.

Astrolad, that was a good game! (execpt I attacked my Grubbs instead of healing him). I'm surprised you back out at the last minute in out Vanguard vs Jungle Elf Summoner showdown. I had those horses waiting for your retreat.

Wtf, I hadnt had any mirror matches for the first like 20 of my matches (non I remember anyway!) and now I have 3! A vanguard one, a Fallen kingdom one, and now me and Blahness just started a Goblin one!

They are kinda neat though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astrolad, that was a good game! (execpt I attacked my Grubbs instead of healing him). I'm surprised you back out at the last minute in out Vanguard vs Jungle Elf Summoner showdown. I had those horses waiting for your retreat.
Hahah yeah that was a really fun one. I almost scraped by miraculously. Better man won but I would have taken the lucky win any time. :D

The fact that orcs have a 60% win rate proves their OP right?

Freeze needs to break on being hit.
I think the consensus is that they're one of the more powerful factions, but not broken by any means. Nice thing is there's a pretty well-established community for the tabletop game. I'm really looking forward to more expansions to tweak decks even more. There are a lot of options right now but I'd love to minmax even more. Like I tried to make a dwarf wallbreaker deck but it was pretty lame turns out.

So if I get into Summoner Wars, how much are the IAP's?
It's IAPs technically but not "IAPs." Really people should be thinking of SW as an $8 game with a trial mode. And it's a fantastic deal at $8 as long as you are into light strategy and don't mind a nice chunk of luck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh btw, I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow, returning Friday. I'll still be taking turns, but probably not much during daytime.

woooooooooooooooow the dice AI in SW is bullshit, haha.

I had I think 4 commons 1 champ and my summoner, vs Blahness and his 1 champ and summoner. I couldnt land a hit for shit!! he killed all my dudes. It ended up being a battle between his Mook and Summoner vs my summoner. Then he couldnt roll hits for the life of him.

Im so glad I won that game, I should have won it many turns before that, but fuck that was scary. haha.

some serious BS dice rolling going on here sometimes.

I think the consensus is that they're one of the more powerful factions, but not broken by any means. Nice thing is there's a pretty well-established community for the tabletop game. I'm really looking forward to more expansions to tweak decks even more. There are a lot of options right now but I'd love to minmax even more. Like I tried to make a dwarf wallbreaker deck but it was pretty lame turns out.
Most of my deck ideas end up being pretty lame, but I still keep trying them. I just can't bring myself to use any of the decks listed online.

blahness

woooooooooooooooow the dice AI in SW is bullshit, haha.

I had I think 4 commons 1 champ and my summoner, vs Blahness and his 1 champ and summoner. I couldnt land a hit for shit!! he killed all my dudes. It ended up being a battle between his Mook and Summoner vs my summoner. Then he couldnt roll hits for the life of him.

Im so glad I won that game, I should have won it many turns before that, but fuck that was scary. haha.

some serious BS dice rolling going on here sometimes.

Yeah I was surprised that it came down to the wire. It really could have gone either way at the end but I couldnt land shit.

Yeah I was surprised that it came down to the wire. It really could have gone either way at the end but I couldnt land shit.

Yeah, it was sweet sweet redemption for my earlier rolls, haha.

That was a fun game though, we both had VERY similar decks, only difference I noticed was 1 different champion, haha. Kind of shitty that we both had soooo much magic left over at the end though. I had like 9, and you had 6 I think. Completely wasted!!

Hereafter

I've added some peeps to gamecenter for some summoner wars but I deleted the message by accident. Hope you guys accept it. If anyone is up for some summoner wars:

GC: Thenafter

I wonder what Playdek will do after Agricola?

For the longest time, the website had some Ascension expansions, Nightfall, Summoner Wars and Agricola. Well, everything but Agricola is out now. Sure, there is a a few Nightfall and Summoner Wars expansions to put out, but those are minor things where the work is mostly done anyway!

Top Bottom