• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

I beat scrabble dude in another very well played carc match to take the series. Good job dude, it all hung on that one piece basically.
I think we're just playing single game pairings, but double elimination. :p Last night I was thinking, "Ahhhh, it's eznark for our nightly Carcassonne game." :)

I'm still learning how to play competitively, and my ELO is going down, down, down. But one of these days I might be a challenge for you. ;)

eznark

Banned
I think we're just playing single game pairings, but double elimination. :p Last night I was thinking, "Ahhhh, it's eznark for our nightly Carcassonne game." :)

I'm still learning how to play competitively, and my ELO is going down, down, down. But one of these days I might be a challenge for you. ;)

Ah, my fault. I honestly didn't look at the rules! So only our first game counted?

Ah, my fault. I honestly didn't look at the rules! So only our first game counted?
As far as I know. You won a long time ago and the bracket was updated. :p

There was a 50/50 shot at me getting that one city piece. I was hoping you'd be nice and place it where I wanted it just for the aesthetics.

eznark

Banned
As far as I know. You won a long time ago and the bracket was updated. :p

There was a 50/50 shot at me getting that one city piece. I was hoping you'd be nice and place it where I wanted it just for the aesthetics.

I don't think I am OCD, but I always have a very, very strong urge to do just that!

I was invited to a Ticket to Ride game by someone from the boardgames subreddit.

I don't think I've ever played to prevent someone from accomplishing their goals before, but it was very satisfying.

I'm green and he is red.

TickettoRide.png

He started out taking Los Angeles to Phoenix. Then Phoenix to Denver. Then Denver to Kansas City. I started to get nervous with all of my cities being in the east. (I also had Miami and Kansas City.) I hadn't even laid down any trains yet, but I had tons of cards.

I played Kansas City to Saint Louis to make sure I wouldn't lose that much needed section. Oddly, he then put a train down between Nashville and Atlanta. This let me know that he needed in there.

So I did what any nice guy would do -- I took Kansas City to Oklahoma City. Then I took Saint Louis to Chicago. I proceeded to make sure that I cut him off of almost every single path into the east while still building my routes.

He has since tried going from the east and then connecting to his route in the middle. But I'm pretty sure it's not possible for him to get enough white trains before I do. In the meantime, I have enough trains and cards to finish my routes anyway.

I have never played this cruelly before, but it has just been immensely satisfying.

I'm not sure if he's going to continue the game. We were playing at a good clip, and then he just stopped here.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I haven't made the randomizer yet, but I really like Smiley's idea of alternating factions. It forces you to understand both strengths and weaknesses. Only worry is everyone mirror matching orcs, but I don't think that'll actually happen.

I haven't made the randomizer yet, but I really like Smiley's idea of alternating factions. It forces you to understand both strengths and weaknesses. Only worry is everyone mirror matching orcs, but I don't think that'll actually happen.

I'll be happy with anything that allows me to play against not-orcs. Literally all but 1 public game I've played has been against orcs, and even now being very familiar with their abilities it gets immensely frustrating trying to learn how to use different factions when you're against an opponent that is so focused on lucky rolls.

Anilones

I'll be happy with anything that allows me to play against not-orcs. Literally all but 1 public game I've played has been against orcs, and even now being very familiar with their abilities it gets immensely frustrating trying to learn how to use different factions when you're against an opponent that is so focused on lucky rolls.
Invited you for a game, and I'm not the Orcs.

soldat7

I lost to soldat7 in my carc game. Hopefully he'll come along and provide the score, because I forgot to screenshot it or write it down.
It was something like 134 to 158.

I'm in for an Ascencion tournament.

153-134. Great game!

I'd be down for an Ascension tourney. Any combinations work for me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I won the loser bracket game against sladeums 118-85! Now gonna see who's next...

EDIT: kk loser of game Q, which hasn't even started yet, this might take a while :p

CzarTim

Played a really intense game of SW with a random. I was trying out a custom Orc deck and he was played Dwarves. He rushed my wall and I couldn't summon new cards. I must have completely wiped my deck 3 or 4 times before getting a wall (even with the extra ones the orcs get). I almost lost my Summoner in the process, but managed to claw out a victory in the end thanks to the built-up mana.

Playing 15 minute games is intense. I had less than a minute by the end of the game.

Smiley90

Had an intense endgame with gazele, we were both down to summoner and champ, only that my champ was totally away from the action. I kept running away from his champ while blasting mt way through commons with the phoenix direct damage cards until I was cornered by summoner&champ, but gazele went in for the kill needing a 3/3 roll and only got two, then I won by rolling 2/2 (only needed 1 though)

Good game! So many SW epic game reports in this thread, really also speaks for the game ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
La Havre downloading

Is anyone still playing it or has it been swallowed in the Summoner Wars hype?
Nope, have about three games going right now myself. Other current players include Triphibian and DieselPioneer off the top of my head.

La Havre downloading

Is anyone still playing it or has it been swallowed in the Summoner Wars hype?

I went through the tutorial on the plane on Monday, and I will try to play a few quick AI games on the plane home in about 30 mins. Then I should be good to go tomorrow. I will send out a couple invites to some people tomorrow and try to play it a bunch. It seemed really cool, and it's really nice to play a game with zero randomness after all these crazy random games.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I went through the tutorial on the plane on Monday, and I will try to play a few quick AI games on the plane home in about 30 mins. Then I should be good to go tomorrow. I will send out a couple invites to some people tomorrow and try to play it a bunch. It seemed really cool, and it's really nice to play a game with zero randomness after all these crazy random games.

Aren't the order the goods get added to the stack random?

One more dota match then I will go through the tutorial and send you guys a challenge. How is the notification?
Apologies. I've invited you to the short form of the game.
The notifications are ok-ish.
I switch the phone off overnight and get carc, ascension and sw notifications but have to remember to start Le Havre to check on my games. During the day it seems to work though.

Vard

Whats going on with the animal gamecentrist game?
We just finished our match. I won, 115-68. (Carc tourney)

edit: would also be down for another Ascension tourney. I'd need to buy that other expansion if we want to play with that, but that's not a problem.

bonesquad

Nightfall now on sale for $0.99

Is the AI just stupid, or am I understanding Nighfall even less than I already think? I played through the tutorial, and near the end when an 'inflict 1 damage on target player' chain card played by the AI was resolved, the AI chose itself as the target. What? I get that if the opponent doesn't have minions you have to attack your own, but that wasn't what happened here. Eh, I assume that was on easy. Plus I do think I need to play a few more games to understand.

I've had a terrible cold this past week severely limiting my playtime, but would still play any Ascension tourney. I also need to play some SW again. My current 3-1 record is very misleading...

eznark

Banned
^ so broken?

Apologies. I've invited you to the short form of the game.
The notifications are ok-ish.
I switch the phone off overnight and get carc, ascension and sw notifications but have to remember to start Le Havre to check on my games. During the day it seems to work though.

Sorry, I made it through the tutorial but I am going to play a couple AI games before wasting your time in a match. I'll reject this invite since I'll be gone all weekend but hopefully I get some time to check it out and send you a match.

^ so broken?

Sorry, I made it through the tutorial but I am going to play a couple AI games before wasting your time in a match. I'll reject this invite since I'll be gone all weekend but hopefully I get some time to check it out and send you a match.

No problem.
I'm enjoying it a bit more since the update. The last moves help and the resources pop-up makes things easier on the phone.
Just need to remember to open the app to check for moves.

Slacker

Carcassonne Tourney 2 Update

Almost done with the first round - please let me know if your score hasn't been updated here:

http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/carcassonne2

Waiting on the following games in the first round:

- Astrolad vs. Bigdaddygamebot
- AirBrian vs. Ghost Dad the Whip
- Gamecocks625 vs. Flunkie

If anyone isn't responding to invites, let us know and we'll drop the hammer on 'em. ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Carcassonne Tourney 2 Update

Almost done with the first round - please let me know if your score hasn't been updated here:

http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/carcassonne2

Waiting on the following games in the first round:

- Astrolad vs. Bigdaddygamebot
- AirBrian vs. Ghost Dad the Whip
- Gamecocks625 vs. Flunkie

If anyone isn't responding to invites, let us know and we'll drop the hammer on 'em. ;)
bigdaddy finally popped up on my gc friends so sent him an invite.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
holy crap i don't think i have literally ever played a board game where someone got luckier than blahness in our current SW game:

-stupid SW won't let you undo so i waste a turn where i could have taken a clean 3-shot at he 5-strength summoner (my bad, though lack of undo is so stupid i won't take full responsibility for it registering a move i didn't intend), too bad b/c his summoner was down to one health one turn later anyway though maybe based on the below the 3 shot would have just been three misses

-later, 4 kill shots on various turns miss miss miss miss

-he goes for possession of by far my strongest common (5-cost) who is in position to kill shot as well (probably just whiff ten times). hey big surprise rolls the 6 required bye bye strongest unit

sounds like i'm complaining but i'm not i actually love that this kind of stuff can happen which is why i enjoy games with some serious random elements :D it was the lack of this that made me dislike hero academy. not very fun when you know everything that's going to happen. then again i'm not a fan of chess either

(except the lack of undo and ease with which you can input moves accidentally -- that i am complaining about)

I've had at least one game like that. It's a little frustrating when turn after turn sometimes I'll have either all my guys miss, or one guy miss the same attack turn after turn. But I know that it can also happen to my opponent, so you roll with it. :)

blahness

Astrolad, I fully expected to lose that game after that first gobbo rush. Luckily I was able to posses your champion and hole up in the corner spitting out extra reapers each turn with my summoners special. If I didn't get that possession I would have been toast.

So I just bought some game called NightFall because it was on sale and a dozen people were all OMG NIGHTFALL IS ON SALE

Do people in this thread play it? I haven't even opened it yet.

Smiley90

super-critical roll

2 1 1 2

Quoted again because FUCK just had the same thing happen to me, only needed 1 hit but rolled 1 1 1 2 in my game with CzarTim -.-

So I just bought some game called NightFall because it was on sale and a dozen people were all OMG NIGHTFALL IS ON SALE

Do people in this thread play it? I haven't even opened it yet.

I have like 6 games going atm :p

schnell

I hate farms so much. I can't resist the temptation of laying down a farmer early and then either trying to make up for the terrible decision with more farms or having to fight someone to keep them from stealing it. I probably put down 3-5 per game...

Top Bottom