• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Raaaaay you didn't end your turn in the NShex game... I think... :D i see you setting tiles but it's still your turn :D

Also, Carc tourney, I don't know where inaudiblewhisper is but I always have to wait like 2, 3 days for him to make a turn... Was waiting from the 5th to the 8th and now waiting since :(

Naw, its cause I bumped your dude, so I had to wait for you to move to the only possible place you could get bumped too, then come back and end my turn. Its a really stupid system sometimes, haha.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Naw, its cause I bumped your dude, so I had to wait for you to move to the only possible place you could get bumped too, then come back and end my turn. Its a really stupid system sometimes, haha.

That's odd, because when I opened it it just got pushed anyway without me having anything to do/click lol... Not even an agreement to the only push direction.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah exactly, like I said, its a stupid system sometimes.

yes, haha.

awesome game tho :D

you can sort of tell it was designed for local multi (for which it's perfect btw since there's no hidden info) with async tacked on, but i'll take it over the days of wonder approach

yes, haha.

awesome game tho :D

you can sort of tell it was designed for local multi (for which it's perfect btw since there's no hidden info) with async tacked on, but i'll take it over the days of wonder approach

Yeah, it really is a lot of fun. I wish its async stuff was better, but it works, and doesnt have disappearing notifications, so people actually take their turns in it.

Its really a game based around realtime online matches, rather than asynchronous though, since stuff like chat doesnt persist (which kinda makes chat useless, haha). Its still easily one of my top iOS games though.

I started the NSHEX game this time Ray, happy? :p

Yup! You named it correctly too! Thanks, easier to keep track of that way, haha.

...though, im more happy that I crushed you in our last game :p mwhaha

Also, I wasnt expecting to pull out a victory in our Nightfall game either, I got lucky with the right cards on that last turn.

Nightfall expansion is next week right? I cant wait to play with more cards in that game.

Petrie

Banned
I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it seems appropriate. I currently have an HP Touch pad with Android I use for some games (mostly Carc) but it's very obvious the iPad is where it's at for board/card games, especially with stuff like Summoner Wars now. What I want to know is, to get the most bang for my buck, which iPad should I be looking at? Wait for the rumored mini? Grab the original iPad on the cheap, or a 2? I don't see myself as a heavy user who needs the expensive latest and greatest version, but I'm willing if it makes a tangible difference on games, the primary use I'd likely have for the device.

Thank you.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it seems appropriate. I currently have an HP Touch pad with Android I use for some games (mostly Carc) but it's very obvious the iPad is where it's at for board/card games, especially with stuff like Summoner Wars now. What I want to know is, to get the most bang for my buck, which iPad should I be looking at? Wait for the rumored mini? Grab the original iPad on the cheap, or a 2? I don't see myself as a heavy user who needs the expensive latest and greatest version, but I'm willing if it makes a tangible difference on games, the primary use I'd likely have for the device.

Thank you.

If the mini is something that interests you then you should wait and see if its real, and if its good, you should know in a month I think right?

Otherwise I would just get a 2 probably. I love my 3, the screen is amazing, but there wasnt anything wrong with the 2, and its a bunch cheaper. If your mainly going to be using it for board games and stuff, then the more power and retina display arent really going to help much anyway.

kennah

You don't want an original iPad at this point. The 2 is still fine unless you need those retinas. Get it refurbished or used to save some bucks.

mercviper

I'm in for the next SW league/tourney

stats are as follows:

GD 1/0
TO 2/1
CG 2/1
CK 13/15
FK 2/5
PE 0/2
VG 0/0
JE 0/0

Total:: 21/24

Man, I hate the stupid Frost Orcs, and stupid Krung! Especially early in a game. Smiley has me backed into a corner right now, I hope I can survive, haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Astrolad, you have to be nice when I play a newish race. Or at least give me better rolls ;-). GG!

I have to take whatever I can get against the likes of you!

In related news, I just got the Master Set in yesterday. All these new factions to learn. Man Summoner Wars is fun.

tm24

Yo Summoners!

Signups are now open for the Summoner Wars Summer Magic Fiesta ∞ Dream Draw Roll Build Cup. Rankings are based on W/l percentage. 1st tier is >50 (maybe 75?) games played, 2nd tier is >25(maybe 40?) and the third tier is based on less than that. Hereafter is automatic one seed based on his performance in the last tourney.

W/L

Tourney starts with pool play. Depending on the signups, we'll have different number of groups. Either way, you'll play 2 games per group member, with the loser getting to counterpick. Wins are 2pts, tiebreaks are determined by a playoff. If we get that number of people i think we will, top 2 of each group advance.

After pool play, we head to a 2/3 series single elimination knockout round. 3rd place will remain 2/3. Final will be 3/5. Prizes to be determined, but probably Itunes credit

Sounds good to everyone?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yo Summoners!

Signups are now open for the Summoner Wars Summer Magic Fiesta ∞ Dream Draw Roll Build Cup. Rankings are based on W/l percentage. 1st tier is >50 (maybe 75?) games played, 2nd tier is >25(maybe 40?) and the third tier is based on less than that. Hereafter is automatic one seed based on his performance in the last tourney.

Tourney starts with pool play. Depending on the signups, we'll have different number of groups. Either way, you'll play 2 games per group member, with the loser getting to counterpick. Wins are 2pts, tiebreaks are determined by a playoff. If we get that number of people i think we will, top 2 of each group advance.

After pool play, we head to a 2/3 series single elimination knockout round. 3rd place will remain 2/3. Final will be 3/5. Prizes to be determined, but probably Itunes credit

Sounds good to everyone?

cool, what do you want us to post?

AstroLad / AstroLad
100-58

Smiley90

Yo Summoners!

Sounds good to everyone?

Question: How are you gonna do the groups? Let's assume there's 16 people that sign up and we do 4 groups of 4 teams with e.g. the top2 of each group advancing.

According to win/loss and games played (your system), everyone gets a ranking from 1 to 16.

Now there's 3 ways to put people into groups, random, serpentine or non-serpentine, let me show the example for the groups:

Serpentine:

Group 1: 1,8,9,16 (so the people who are ranked 1,8,9 and 16)
Group 2: 2,7,10,15
Group 3: 3,6,11,14
Group 4: 4,5,12,13

Non-serpentine (my least favourite out of the options, because it makes the groups so unequal (e.g. Group 1 is per se stronger than group 4) but it's an option):

Group 1: 1,5,9,13
Group 2: 2,6,10,14
Group 3: 3,7,11,15
Group 4: 4,8,12,16

And the last option would be Random, aka World Cup style. For this, you'd put the people ranked 1-4 in one "pot", and do the same with 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16, and then for each group pick one of each pot.

outcome could be:

Group 1: 2,5,12,16
Group 2: 4,6,9,15
Group 3: 1,8,10,13
Group 4: 3,7,11,14

I'd personally say serpentine is best, because it is way more "obvious" what the groups are and creates some order right away, and doesn't require you to do all the random group sorting.

Sounds good? It also makes it easy if we have different sizes/numbers of groups, you can easily still do serpentine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cool, stoked even though the bosses will own me but i will do my best to get out of group phase :D

you should post about this in the iOS thread

Smiley90

This way!

And im doing serpentine unless we get a crazy number of sign ups

Sounds good! Serpentine works for any number though :p

Here's my numbers as of right now:

70/37

-compares to Astro-

100/158 is 63.3%...
70/107 is 65.4% HUZZAH.

superrobot/Diesel Pioneer
7 (SEVEN)/ 25 (for the vidiprinter fans)

My Summoner War world cup equivalent is Zaire 74.
I'm prepared to have to go into a qualifying play-off if you have more than 16 (just like the real world cup).

benny lava

Neo Member
Yo Summoners!

W/L

Sounds good to everyone?

I am ready to take my lumps.
benny lava/barneshome
62 - 34

Kosh

Yo Summoners!

W/L

Kosh / Kosh One
19-29

Thanks for organizing.

eznark

Banned
Yo Summoners!

W/L

Sounds good to everyone?

eznark 35/41

mercviper

Question: How are you gonna do the groups? Let's assume there's 16 people that sign up and we do 4 groups of 4 teams with e.g. the top2 of each group advancing.

According to win/loss and games played (your system), everyone gets a ranking from 1 to 16.

Now there's 3 ways to put people into groups, random, serpentine or non-serpentine, let me show the example for the groups:

Serpentine:

Group 1: 1,8,9,16 (so the people who are ranked 1,8,9 and 16)
Group 2: 2,7,10,15
Group 3: 3,6,11,14
Group 4: 4,5,12,13

Non-serpentine (my least favourite out of the options, because it makes the groups so unequal (e.g. Group 1 is per se stronger than group 4) but it's an option):

Group 1: 1,5,9,13
Group 2: 2,6,10,14
Group 3: 3,7,11,15
Group 4: 4,8,12,16

And the last option would be Random, aka World Cup style. For this, you'd put the people ranked 1-4 in one "pot", and do the same with 5-8, 9-12 and 13-16, and then for each group pick one of each pot.

outcome could be:

Group 1: 2,5,12,16
Group 2: 4,6,9,15
Group 3: 1,8,10,13
Group 4: 3,7,11,14

I'd personally say serpentine is best, because it is way more "obvious" what the groups are and creates some order right away, and doesn't require you to do all the random group sorting.

Sounds good? It also makes it easy if we have different sizes/numbers of groups, you can easily still do serpentine.

Mercviper / Mercviper
23-26

Yo Summoners!

W/L

Sounds good to everyone?

I'm in for this.

Got the Shakes/Got the Shakes
3/7

Yo Summoners!

W/L

Sounds good to everyone?

Gatekeeper/Z3R0_5UM
5-7

tm24

Smiley90

Pretty much!

And Smiley wins for not being excited! Turns out the app is a iOS front end wrapper for the shitty HTML5 version thats in beta and everyone says sucks!

I win!

Goddamnit :( saw that soooooo coming.

Hereafter

Good game barneshome, I always play the Phoenix Elves on first matchup.

I was surprised you out your third wall in the corner. Usually In JE vs PE matches, the JE spread the walls to attack better.

Heel

Are we assuming Dominion is shitty just because it's HTML5, or are there actual reports of the beta being shitty? Trying to remain optimistic...

Hereafter

Another good game mercviper. Killing you with your own thief seemed right somehow after all the shenanigans we pulled. That was possibly the most fun match I had ever!

Top Bottom