• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

AirBrian

Ah, makes sense. Now all that's left is borked multiplayer-setup and the game denying Airbrian and me a friendship. :p bought the ad-free version! Too bad it's not enough that only 1 persons owns the extra tracks, but all people need it :(

Yeah, that would be nice. If you have a FB or Twitter account, you can at least get the Sebring track for free.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
See, the problem with a Formula league is that multiplayer is borked. We'd have to get everyone in the same race, which is kinda impossible right now, if people keep getting kicked... I hope that was just a hickup. How do we wanna do it? 2-round races with everyone in it on all courses? or just the 2 standard-courses? (do 2 races per course then?)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey Astro, did you resign in our NH game? I came back and it was done...

Weird. I don't see any of my games on here anymore. Sent you another invite. Anyone who wants to play some Neuroshima btw feel free to send me an invite -- very fun little game.

CzarTim

See, the problem with a Formula league is that multiplayer is borked. We'd have to get everyone in the same race, which is kinda impossible right now, if people keep getting kicked... I hope that was just a hickup. How do we wanna do it? 2-round races with everyone in it on all courses? or just the 2 standard-courses? (do 2 races per course then?)
Once they fix that though, it's going to be dope.

Smiley90

Looks like the 8p game I started got reduced to 6p... :p Czar and Gatekeeper got kicked? :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Racer Feud does seem fun though and even though parts are amateurish they seemed to have done async well (notification, show last turns, chat). I might even pay to get rid of the nag notifications if enough people play and playing full games actually works.

CzarTim

So I went to buy the other two tracks, but it looks like it glitched out and unlocked them without me having to pay? I didn't have to login to my account or confirm the transaction, and nothing is listed under Recent Purchases in iTunes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh, and Alien Frontiers is nice. Now retina so it looks prettier, and the Pirate AI is now a total jerk that basically spends the entire game targeting you. Annoying but a fun challenge I suppose (and you can always just play with Admiral AI). Game desperately needs async, but like Ghost Stories it's such a quality core game that it's still decent fun to spam games vs. the AI.

Oh, and Alien Frontiers is nice. Now retina so it looks prettier, and the Pirate AI is now a total jerk that basically spends the entire game targeting you. Annoying but a fun challenge I suppose (and you can always just play with Admiral AI). Game desperately needs async, but like Ghost Stories it's such a quality core game that it's still decent fun to spam games vs. the AI.

It really needs async. I enjoye the couple of games I played vs the AI but I haven't touched it since then because it isn't online.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good on them for getting the retina update out quickly, as well as improving/making cheating AI. Hope that bodes well. But async is always a separate beast because it takes a lot of work so devs often love to blow it off by saying it's only a small number of people that use it (ahem Days of Wonder). Grrr.

Good on them for getting the retina update out quickly, as well as improving/making cheating AI. Hope that bodes well. But async is always a separate beast because it takes a lot of work so devs often love to blow it off by saying it's only a small number of people that use it (ahem Days of Wonder). Grrr.

With retina update out so quick, ya wonder why it wasn't there from the start. Seems weird to me! It's not like retina iPads were announced last week.

Smiley90

AirBrian's a dick, he crashed into me right after the start, and took himself and me out in the process. DICK MOVE DUDE.

Also lol@worldwide leaderboard. I'm first! Too bad the scores mean absolutely nothing but "games played", pretty much...

Heel

GAF Name | Racer feud name

gatekeeper | Z3R05UM
AirBrian | AirBrian
bonesquad | justjeff
CzarTim | CzarTim
Smiley90 | Smiley90
superrobot | superrobot
eznark | eznark
Heel | Slade

Add me up! Haven't tried it yet.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man, having such a good and simple chat in racer fued really makes me hate not having it in playdek games now.

Yeah, at this point it's ridiculously perplexing. I guess they're afraid of what people will say to each other? One of the SW guys alluded to that. If that's the case, they need new lawyers.

bonesquad

Yeah, at this point it's ridiculously perplexing. I guess they're afraid of what people will say to each other? One of the SW guys alluded to that. If that's the case, they need new lawyers.

I can understand that when playing against random people, but at least they could allow chat when playing against people on your friends list.

Edit: Did anyone's friends list in Formula Feud get cleared? The only person still on my list is RaySpencer, and Kosh who just sent me a request:)

AirBrian

AirBrian's a dick, he crashed into me right after the start, and took himself and me out in the process. DICK MOVE DUDE.

Also lol@worldwide leaderboard. I'm first! Too bad the scores mean absolutely nothing but "games played", pretty much...

Sorry about that...I honestly had no clue how that part of the game worked. Hopefully it doesn't mess up your #1 WW ranking! ;-)

tm24

ok yeah racer feud is lots of stupid fun. all of ios bg gaf should get in on it since it's free anyway

Im in now! Same as my gc name. Played my first game of Formula De last week. So much stupid fun

Also, anyone else playing letterpress? Fun little word game

EDIT: And now Racer feud is constantly crashing on start up after buying Premium. The hell?

Ahh, just read the app page. Crashes on IOS5 and i wont update to IOS6 until theres a jailbreak

A solo lap mode would help me a lot in Formula Fued. I've won a race only because my brother has done what I've done in lots of other races and destroyed his car on the first corner with the words "I have no idea what I'm doing".
Edit: can't spell feud properly but it's wine o'clock in my house.

A solo lap mode would help me a lot in Formula Fued. I've won a race only because my brother has done what I've done in lots of other races and destroyed his car on the first corner with the words "I have no idea what I'm doing".
Edit: can't spell feud properly but it's wine o'clock in my house.

I didn't understand it at first. But it's actually really simple. Corners have amount of times you have to stop in them, which basically means you have to end your turn in that turn 1 or 2 times (or more) depending on that corner. So if its a 2 corner try to have your first turn end in the first half of the corner so that you have enough space next time to gear down and end your turn again in the same corner. Sometimes you come in too hot and need to gear down more than just 1 gear, if you do this it will waste gas, or gas ad breaks, or gas, breaks AND engine. If you over roll a bit you can use breaks to reduce your roll by 1 or you can take it through the corner keep your roll and use up your tires.

Kosh

So in the race with mikeworks and AirBrain my engine stalled on the start and I didn't get to move. How does that happen? I've never played Formula D, is it on a roll of all 1's?

I didn't understand it at first. But it's actually really simple. Corners have amount of times you have to stop in them, which basically means you have to end your turn in that turn 1 or 2 times (or more) depending on that corner. So if its a 2 corner try to have your first turn end in the first half of the corner so that you have enough space next time to gear down and end your turn again in the same corner. Sometimes you come in too hot and need to gear down more than just 1 gear, if you do this it will waste gas, or gas ad breaks, or gas, breaks AND engine. If you over roll a bit you can use breaks to reduce your roll by 1 or you can take it through the corner keep your roll and use up your tires.
Thanks. Now I get it.

So in the race with mikeworks and AirBrain my engine stalled on the start and I didn't get to move. How does that happen? I've never played Formula D, is it on a roll of all 1's?

There's a random chance of it happening. i believe in the board game its on a roll of 1 or 2 on a 20 before you start, and on a 19 or 20 you get a perfect start and go 4 spaces.

Smiley90

Started a few multiple-lap races with advanced options, so hopefully weather and tires will matter :p

Smiley90

Weird, if you click on "purchase" for the Hockenheim/Valencia tracks, it downloads them and you can use them without actually paying for them. At least I got no payment prompt, like I got for the ad-free version. All tracks are free? :p at least until it gets fixed, it seems.

bonesquad

Actually, I think that's a bug. Under the right conditions (even if you don't realize you did so) you can trick the game into thinking you paid for the extra tracks causing them to download. I emailed the devs and they admitted as much.

Smiley90

Actually, I think that's a bug. Under the right conditions (even if you don't realize you did so) you can trick the game into thinking you paid for the extra tracks causing them to download. I emailed the devs and they admitted as much.

That's what I meant by "until they fix it" ;) Figured it was a bug. Will enjoy it while it lasts! Paid for the adfree version though ;) Imagine a map editor public/paid for this game... It'd be glorious :x

bonesquad

Ah, I thought you meant fix it in the global sense:) That until they fix all the issues the game has the tracks are free.

I wish the game didn't use the default text message sound for notifications...

Smiley90

As someone who's never driven a car before, is this going to fuck me over in Racer Feud? No idea how gear systems work.

as long as you know how dice work, you're fine. :p higher gear = you advance more spaces per dice roll. :D

As someone who's never driven a car before, is this going to fuck me over in Racer Feud? No idea how gear systems work.
You should be fine. When you pick your gear it will show all the spots where your car would finish. The higher the gear the further you could go. It's then gambling on whether you will finish where you want to when you roll.
Then based on Ray's bend advice will you be able to drop to the right gear to stay in there for the specified number of turns.

Or do what I do and stay in 3rd and wait for everyone else to crash out.

Smiley90

You should be fine. When you pick your gear it will show all the spots where your car would finish. The higher the gear the further you could go. It's then gambling on whether you will finish where you want to when you roll.
Then based on Ray's bend advice will you be able to drop to the right gear to stay in there for the specified number of turns.

Or do what I do and stay in 3rd and wait for everyone else to crash out.

Hey, I got that context :(

Top Bottom