• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

It doesn't seem like there's an option to take photos in 16:9, right? That sucks. I would like to make that my default sometimes, since most of the places I display photos on are 16:9 (HDTV, iPhone screen, etc). I know you can crop afterwards, but I'd prefer the option to set it beforehand.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
For the new page, because this needs to be seen:

4S:

yT7Zo.jpg

5:

Shearie

It's an LCD, it will still be obvious.

I think that's the main thing I'm worried about coming from a Galaxy Nexus. I know the iPhone uses a nice LCD but I hope I'm not fake black shocked.

The iPhone 5 will have the most accurate colors of any smartphone PERIOD!

Can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with the quality of the display.

jts

...hate me...
Not a letterboxed app, but you can tell from the black topbar:

iphone-5-2012-09-14-600-11.jpg

Blacks really blend well with the black bezel. Of course, if you try you can notice it, but it's a pretty nice illusion to have on the black version.

Looks like an all around amazing screen.

edit: letterboxed:

P7j0i.png

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple Marketing SVP Phil Schiller confirms: Apple has no iPhone 5 dock in the works | 9to5Mac

We were recently forwarded an email where a reader reached out to Senior Vice President of Marketing Philip Schiller to ask if Apple planned to release a dock for the new iPhone 5.

Schiller apparently replied to the user’s email and said there were no plans to produce an iPhone 5 dock, as “most people who use docks use them with speaker or clock systems.” Based on the message header we received, we believe this correspondence is the real deal. Apple has released a dock for each iteration of the iPhone—it even included one with the original iPhone. We expect third-party accessory makers to seize this opportunity and fill the hole Apple has left; they are already reproducing Lightning cable adapters.

The best part of this email is quite possibly the fact that Schiller went out of his way to let recipients of his messages know he is using an iPhone 5. His signature stated, “Sent from my iPhone 5″.

jts

...hate me...
I would rage about it, because I like docks and I use one to charge my iPhone daily. But 3rd parties will handle it with no problems. Mine is actually a black cheapo dock from ebay (it even uses a mini-USB cable to charge instead of a 30-pin one).

It's just a curiosity, just like it's also curious that Apple didn't release its own cover.

I guess they're throwing a bone at 3rd parties for the new lightning cable snafu.

Damn it my iPhone lives on my desk dock at work. It's angled at perfection for using on the sly. It's how I get all my GAF done whilst it looks like I'm working.

Oh well. Will wait for 3rd party.

kehs

Banned
BUT BUT BUT Everyone was screeching about how Apple only changed the connector so they can rape everyone with accessories- if that's the case, how can this be possible??! Wouldn't a dock be a major part of that grand plan??

Another trolling narrative shown for it's complete falsity.

Is the new dock connector format license free?

Husker86

BUT BUT BUT Everyone was screeching about how Apple only changed the connector so they can rape everyone with accessories- if that's the case, how can this be possible??! Wouldn't a dock be a major part of that grand plan??

Another trolling narrative shown for it's complete falsity.

God damn these "but but but" posts!

PU, I think we're at the point in this thread that the posters are almost all future iPhone 5 users. Let it go...think of the children!

numble

It looks like they just upped the ISO or did a software enhancement. The pic turned out pretty noisy to achieve that. I'd like to see more comparisons.

It is a lot of image processing. But most people (or at the very least, me) aren't going to spend the time in photo processing software, so it's an improvement nonetheless. It does something similar to Pureview:

Slashgear said:
There’s also a low-light mode that promises a roughly two f-stop improvement in brightness and sensitivity by scaling down the end resolution and combining the data from four adjacent pixel clusters into each final dot in the frame.

kehs

Banned
It is a lot of image processing. But most people (or at the very least, me) aren't going to spend the time in photo processing software, so it's an improvement nonetheless. It does something similar to Pureview:

Does that mean it's using a higher resolution sensor than whats displayed during capture?

Is the new dock connector format license free?

So? The point is, Apple could have sold shitloads of their standard dock, with would net them more $$ per unit than any licensing fee for a 3rd party product. My point was that if selling more shit and making more $$ was the primary consideration for creating a new connector, like 95% of the internet was foaming about, having their own accessories ready would have been a no brainer.

God damn these "but but but" posts!

PU, I think we're at the point in this thread that the posters are almost all future iPhone 5 users. Let it go...think of the children!

Nobody ever gets called out on their bullshit online after the fact and are held accountable for what they say when they turn out to be wrong. I like to do it once in a blue moon.

giga

Does that mean it's using a higher resolution sensor than whats displayed during capture?
Don't think so. I think slashgear might be wrong about the oversampling because both Han shots have the same resolution. Maybe they just didn't word it right.

If you check the exif for both though, you'll see that the dark one is iso 800 while the lighter one is iso 3200. That's the two stop difference they mentioned (800 -> 1600 -> 3200) which would help low light shots look more properly exposed given the same shutter speed. (but still very noisy with such a small sensor)

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
my AT&T order status now has a tracking number for UPS. First time it has said something differently since the moment I ordered it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Damn it, that's some impressive low-light performance. I'm breaking and might upgrade my 4 to this, though now I'll be backlogged a few weeks in wait.

Must...resist...mindless...consumerism...:(

Top Bottom