• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Cheebo

Banned
Gruber is to Apple what the Drudge Report is to the GOP. Marco, alas, is an unfortunate casualty in all this.

MG Siegler is less level-headed than Gruber I'd say. Gruber comes across as just uninterested in Android, Windows, etc. Siegler has more of the fanboy style attitude towards the competition. The best and most objective of the Apple bloggers is Jim Dalrymple.

Oh and I wasn't counting Marco, he is full of himself. He rubs me the wrong way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Goddamn. These images make the wait so much harder.

I'm dead set on black, but these aluminium white ones look so much better than I previously thought, amazing.

Does anyone have a picture of the iPhone 5's keyboard in landscape? I want to see how much bigger, if at all, the keyboard is now.

iPhone5-2902.jpg

One of the questions I had upon seeing the change to 16:9 aspect ratio was what the landscape keyboard UI would look like with this larger real estate. The answer is that it simply extends all the way across and takes full advantage of it. 

via AnandTech

Does someone have a link where I can read what to do if I'm upgrading to a iphone 5 (from a 4S).
And have it ready to be all syned up and ready to go when I just switch my sim card into the iphone 5.

And can I use my 4S with my apple id but a different sim. just to use as a 2nd phone that is.

Thanks in advance everyone :)
Anyone?

def sim

I'm not the biggest fan of The Verge, but Toposlky is in the right here. Accusing anyone of that nonsense is just fucked without definite proof and Gruber comes off like a ridiculous man from what I've read.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

- Have your 4S backed up to iCloud or iTunes
- Put in your sim in the 5
- When you turn on your 5 either;
- sign in with your apple id and select the iCloud backup via the phone and start the restore
- In iTunes, pick to restore it as an existing device (the 4S backup), if you pick this option there's no need to sign in with you apple id on the phone itself

- Wait

- Profit

Personally I always use iTunes when restoring new devices to an old backup since it's faster to re-copy the apps over usb than it is to re-download them from the cloud.

- sign in with your apple id and select the iCloud backup via the phone and start the restore
- In iTunes, pick to restore it as an existing device (the 4S backup), if you pick this option there's no need to sign in with you apple id on the phone itself

- Wait

- Profit

Personally I always use iTunes when restoring new devices to an old backup since it's faster to re-copy the apps over usb than it is to re-download them from the cloud.
Thanks for the information, my first upgrade so that is why I asked.

MasLegio

Banned

- Wait

- Profit

id say it is best to back up both to cloud and itunes before updating the phone.

also, you should also do a regular (once a month or something like that) local backup to itunes as well.

Oxn

Im getting a White one for myself and a Black one for my Sister.

If I get Black envy then Ill just take hers, she dont care.

Zaph

I agree with Gruber on this one.
Really?

I browse The Verge quite often, and I remember when Gruber started this 'integrity' bullshit (and the subsequent back-peddling). The Verge has mentioned (especially in their more editorial stuff like the podcast) product designs that rip-off Apple a lot since launch. But Gruber won't be happy until every single time such a product is mentioned, there is a huge red sign that pops up letting people know the obvious.

The guy is still incredibly salty over his appearance on On The Verge.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I just fear if it's dispatched Thursday it may not arrive next day is all. Also, I have no knowledge of dealing with deliveries from Three.

They're fine. They dispatch after 4pm using courier next day.

Last year the only notification I got from them was a text from DPD first thing in the morning telling me my hour delivery slot. :p

Really?

I browse The Verge quite often, and I remember when Gruber started this 'integrity' bullshit (and the subsequent back-peddling). The Verge has mentioned (especially in their more editorial stuff like the podcast) product designs that rip-off Apple a lot since launch. But Gruber won't be happy until every single time such a product is mentioned, there is a huge red sign that pops up letting people know the obvious.

what happened?

123rl

They're fine. They dispatch after 4pm using courier next day.

Last year the only notification I got from them was a text from DPD first thing in the morning telling me my hour delivery slot. :p

I've ordered from Three. They've taken my money but I have had absolutely no other contact or confirmation from them. Their customer communication is dreadful

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've ordered from Three. They've taken my money but I have had absolutely no other contact or confirmation from them. Their customer communication is dreadful

That's how it is. Not sure what you would expect them to say between ordering and dispatch, though.

Like I say, they were the same last year and they came through for me, so I've no reason to doubt them this year.

Really?

I agree with Gruber that both of them look very much alike especially when you talk about industrial design

ankq7.png

dQA0t.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question on iTunes match. You don't have to have the actual music files on a web-connected PC/Mac at all times do you (after the initial match)?

Meaning, my Macbook Air is only 256GB, so most of my music is on an external HD. Can I attach the external, turn on match, sync, then unplug the external with no issues?

I agree with Gruber that both of them look very much alike especially when you talk about industrial design

ankq7.png

dQA0t.jpg

that wan't the point though, Josh was saying that it doesn't need to be mentioned at every point in time and beaten over the readers head, which again was addressed in Josh's blog entry which I'm starting to think you didn't read

Question on iTunes match. You don't have to have the actual music files on a web-connected PC/Mac at all times do you (after the initial match)?

Meaning, my Macbook Air is only 256GB, so most of my music is on an external HD. Can I attach the external, turn on match, sync, then unplug the external with no issues?

yes, AFTER you have successfully match/uploaded the songs on iTunes Match you can remove the songs from your hard drive

LaneDS

Verizon support rep told me my phone is still shipping the 21st, despite my card not being charged. They (the website?) also fucked up my order, since an upgrade was transferred from one line to another, the phone would have been activated under my brother's number instead despite the site very clearly showing my number during checkout.

Short version: Verizon's site is a giant mess, and I am hopeful I'll get a phone sometime in the future.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

You might need to "delete" the music from your local library (keep files so they remain on your external, and icloud copies of course). Otherwise iTunes might complain about missing files when opened without the external drive present. But after that it should happily show all your cloud music just fine.

I'm not sure you have to "delete" the music from your local library, iTunes might be clever enough to not complain about files being missing locally when there are cloud copies present.

I personally have my Macbook with no local music on it added to Match so it can access all my synced music that originated from my desktop PC.

Top Bottom