• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

that wan't the point though, Josh was saying that it doesn't need to be mentioned at every point in time and beaten over the readers head, which again was addressed in Josh's blog entry which I'm starting to think you didn't read

I agreed with Gruber's point of them being identical industrial designs, not necessarily they should be repeated

giga

A word about Sunspider: in addition to hardware, it's also highly dependent on the javascript engine of the browser. So I don't really care for using it to compare across different platforms.

A comparison against devices on the same OS is fine though. The 2012 iPad gets about 1450ms and 4S 1750ms on iOS 6.

Was this posted yet? Sunspider Benchmark.

49915.png

S3 USA got trounced very badly

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
You might need to "delete" the music from your local library (keep files so they remain on your external, and icloud copies of course). Otherwise iTunes might complain about missing files when opened without the external drive present. But after that it should happily show all your cloud music just fine.

I'm not sure you have to "delete" the music from your local library, iTunes might be clever enough to not complain about files being missing locally when there are cloud copies present.

I personally have my Macbook with no local music on it added to Match so it can access all my synced music that originated from my desktop PC.

Yeah, I had to delete my entire Library after initial iTunes Match sync (even the configs etc).

jcm

so Apple did purposely withhold the iPhone 5 from them because they don't kiss their ass at every chance

How should I know what apple did? All I know is that an editor who needs to take to his blog and whine about his bruised feelings after some blogger doesn't like his coverage needs to grow a thicker skin.

A word about Sunspider: in addition to hardware, it's also highly dependent on the javascript engine of the browser. So I don't really care for using it to compare across different platforms.

A comparison against devices on the same OS is fine though. The 2012 iPad gets about 1450ms and 4S 1750ms on iOS 6.

Yeah, Anand commented that the benchmark is mostly interesting for showing an improvement in memory interface over A9.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yes, AFTER you have successfully match/uploaded the songs on iTunes Match you can remove the songs from your hard drive

You might need to "delete" the music from your local library (keep files so they remain on your external, and icloud copies of course). Otherwise iTunes might complain about missing files when opened without the external drive present. But after that it should happily show all your cloud music just fine.

I'm not sure you have to "delete" the music from your local library, iTunes might be clever enough to not complain about files being missing locally when there are cloud copies present.

I personally have my Macbook with no local music on it added to Match so it can access all my synced music that originated from my desktop PC.

Thanks guys. Basically I can just connect my external, tell iTunes that my external is my iTunes library, then match? Then unplug? As long as the "copy files to iTunes media folder" option is unchecked it won't make a local copy of the whole file right?

It's a bit confusing when explained I guess. :p

Blackhead

Redarse
How should I know what apple did? All I know is that an editor who needs to take to his blog and whine about his bruised feelings after some blogger doesn't like his coverage needs to grow a thicker skin.
The high profile bloggers, who this editor has hosted on his own show, accused his publication of shilling and lying about the journalistic standards proclaimed on their website... I think he showed remarkable restraint (especially when compared when compared to how Marco banned his users from accessing a website via his app because he didn't like the website's coverage)

Zaph

what happened?
Check out saelz8's link for the full interview. But the tl;dr is that there has always been a bit of animosity between The Verge staff and Gruber, even before the interview. But Gruber accepted the invitation obviously expecting some cheesy, softball interview, but actually got a (very mild) grilling from Topolsky who made him look slightly petty. Gruber then almost immediately took to Twitter to bitch about the interview (validating the pettiness claims) and has since been overeager to take pot shots at The Verge/Topolsky any chance he can get.

This isn't the first time he's attacked Topolsky's integrity (often by slyly using proxies like Marco), he did something similar after Josh went on a news show (MSNBC I think) to talk about tablets.

Gruber writes some good stuff, but it's pretty obvious he's a grade A douche, envious that he doesn't get as much mainstream press attention.

I agree with Gruber that both of them look very much alike especially when you talk about industrial design

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/ankq7.png[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/dQA0t.jpg[/IMG]
Yeah, I don't think you read the blog post in question. Nobody was questioning the veracity of the design claims.

Thanks guys. Basically I can just connect my external, tell iTunes that my external is my iTunes library, then match? Then unplug? As long as the "copy files to iTunes media folder" option is unchecked it won't make a local copy of the whole file right?

that I don't know

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

- Plug in external, add music to local iTunes library
- Match/Upload it all to the cloud.
- Select your entire library in iTunes and select Delete, select "Keep files" and don't tick the "also remove from iCloud" tickbox.

This will make your local iTunes library blank, preserve your files on the external and the music now in the cloud.

Now remove your external drive and add your computer to iTunes Match if it's not already added (I don't remember if iTunes automatically disables match for your computer if you "clean out" the library, it might not). Disabling iTunes Match on your computer will not delete your music from the cloud.

It will then populate iTunes with your cloud music. Appearance wise you'll see the "download from the cloud" button next to each song but that's about it.

My 64 GB White for AT&T is on it's way! All $1,000 of it.

Honestly, I don't get the hate for AT&T. I get great service everywhere and the LTE is faster than my internet at home. What gives?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
- Plug in external, add music to local iTunes library
- Match/Upload it all to the cloud.
- Select your entire library in iTunes and select Delete, select "Keep files" and don't tick the "also remove from iCloud" tickbox.

This will make your local iTunes library blank, preserve your files on the external and the music now in the cloud.

Now remove your external drive and add your computer to iTunes Match if it's not already added (I don't remember if iTunes automatically disables match for your computer if you "clean out" the library, it might not). Disabling iTunes Match on your computer will not delete your music from the cloud.

It will then populate iTunes with your cloud music. Appearance wise you'll see the "download from the cloud" button next to each song but that's about it.

Alright, thanks. Basically sounds like I plug in, drag and drop my external music folder into my local iTunes (with the option to make local copies unchecked) then sync to match.

I'll try it tonight and see what happens. :p

EDIT: Also found this, might be good for listening on my mac after.

Open iTunes while holding down the shift key (Windows) or Option key (Mac). This will give you the opportunity to create a new profile. Leave this library empty, but sign into iTunes Match. You'll now see your entire library 'in the cloud', and be able to stream it from Apple's servers. If you want to switch back, merely open iTunes the same way and choose your original library.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Honestly, I don't get the hate for AT&T. I get great service everywhere and the LTE is faster than my internet at home. What gives?

In Austin I couldn't even use cellular data half the time during the day, but it would become blazing fast after peak hours. Same in a lot of other cities; their infrastructure blows. Ask anyone in NYC. Also massive dropped call percentage. My Verizon iPad 3 works extremely well everywhere by comparison. Switching to Verizon for the iPhone 5.

If it ain't white, it ain't right.
sorry but black don't crack.

In Austin I couldn't even use cellular data half the time during the day, but it would become blazing fast after peak hours. Same in a lot of other cities; their infrastructure blows. Ask anyone in NYC. Also massive dropped call percentage. My Verizon iPad 3 works extremely well everywhere by comparison. Switching to Verizon for the iPhone 5.
I've read so much the past few days of people switching to verizon. I wouldn't know because I live in Canada but ATT's network must really be getting worse over time rather than better.

Just to add to what EviLore said... I take it you don't live in SF or NYC? I stay with them because of unlimited data but the moment that goes so do I. Crossing my fingers that LTE is a better experience, but have nothing historical to back that it will be.

The only time I've ever had an issue with AT&T was when I was in NYC last year for a few days. Service is great everywhere else I've been, so it's no issue for me at all. I guess there's no way to know if the whole AT&T vs Verizon thing would have panned out differently if the roles had been reversed and Verizon got the iPhone first.

LTE service seems to be blazingly fast for everyone who has it now due to so few devices on the network. I'm curious to see how this will be impacted over the next few weeks.

andycapps

that wan't the point though, Josh was saying that it doesn't need to be mentioned at every point in time and beaten over the readers head, which again was addressed in Josh's blog entry which I'm starting to think you didn't read

Yeah, he did cover that. He also mentioned how Apple's chiclet style keyboard was lifted directly from Sony's designs and how Apple's notification bar was ripped from Android. But he doesn't feel the need to mention that in every Apple laptop or iPhone review. Shit happens. Gruber's a self-righteous prick and I put much, much more stock in what The Verge says about something than what he says.

Tadale

Still have gotten no updates on my Verizon order, which was supposed to arrive on Friday. The website cannot even find my order number.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Anyone who ordered on apple.com at launch whose order is still processing?

Yup, but shipments are on their way, just check UPS.com and use your cell phone number as the Reference.

I don't think theres any hope of us getting them early with UPS. When they were coming from China via FedEx we would get them a day early.

Mine shipped from Illinois via Next Day Air service

gamma

Yup, but shipments are on their way, just check UPS.com and use your cell phone number as the Reference.

I don't think theres any hope of us getting them early with UPS. When they were coming from China via FedEx we would get them a day early.

I'm in Europe though, so no secret tracking for me. I ordered a few minutes after launch, but my order was on hold over the weekend because of a cc problem which I fixed on monday. It still says delivery 9/21 but I'm not so sure.

Still have gotten no updates on my Verizon order, which was supposed to arrive on Friday. The website cannot even find my order number.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

I'm still getting the classic. Order processing, expected shipping date 21st

No one from Verizon knows a damn thing about these orders. Last time I do anything online by them.

Thanks for that! I was getting worried as well...

It's sitting in Louisville, KY, United States as of yesterday morning..

Tadale

I'm still getting the classic. Order processing, expected shipping date 21st

When I ordered, Apple's site was already showing that orders would be arriving after Friday, so I bought the phones through Verizon. If I had known that there would be a delay, I would have just taken my chances through the Apple store.

i keep telling my bro to switch from AT&T, since (a) he suffers being in NYC, and (b) he also suffers when he visits where i am in GA because you only get good coverage here with Verizon/Sprint, but the no simultaneous data/voice thing means he's staying with big blue.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
i keep telling my bro to switch from AT&T, since (a) he suffers being in NYC, and (b) he also suffers when he visits where i am in GA because you only get good coverage here with Verizon/Sprint, but the no simultaneous data/voice thing means he's staying with big blue.

Was always curious if this was actually a big deal. What do people use it for? I remember the Luke Wilson AT&T commercials touting voice and data at the same time and just laughed. I don't think I have ever had the need to browse while on a call.

I thought with 4G access on Verizon simultaneous voice/data was now enabled? I'm pretty sure the data can work on the 4G while the voice uses the 3G band (or vice versa)

gamma

I thought with 4G access on Verizon simultaneous voice/data was now enabled? I'm pretty sure the data can work on the 4G while the voice uses the 3G band (or vice versa)

Yeah, but the phone has to support it (needs additional antenna). iPhone 5 doesn't.

andycapps

That's always one of those things that people worry about before they switch (I did). But once you switch you'll realize that a) you don't talk on the phone much anyway, and b) it's really not a big deal. You just ask if you can call the person back.

I ordered two phones on Friday morning. A white 16gb, and a 32gb in black.

So far the 16gb appears to be on track to show up Friday. The 32gb order almost seems to be lost in never never land. I've gotten no emails about it, and I'm even having trouble looking it up in ATT's system. :/

Zeth

I've never needed data on a phone call, but I have AT&T anyway. You can use wifi if you're home or at work, I think it's a non-issue for most people.

Was always curious if this was actually a big deal. What do people use it for? I remember the Luke Wilson AT&T commercials touting voice and data at the same time and just laughed. I don't think I have ever had the need to browse while on a call.

he's pretty into twitter, instagram, etc and he also uses it as a phone, so it's a dealbreaker for him.

My last phone was an iPhone 3G.
I haven't even owned a phone in way over a year.

This iPhone 5 is going to blow me away, isn't it?

yes.

I use data all the time while on calls. Sometimes to look things up (directions, movie times, restaurants, etc.) that are pertinent to the conversation I'm having, sometimes because I'm bored out of my mind by the person blabbering on the other end of the line.

It's a feature I couldn't do without.

My last phone was an iPhone 3G.
I haven't even owned a phone in way over a year.

This iPhone 5 is going to blow me away, isn't it?

How does someone not own a phone for a year in this day and age?

I use data all the time while on calls. Sometimes to look things up (directions, movie times, restaurants, etc.) that are pertinent to the conversation I'm having, sometimes because I'm bored out of my mind by the person blabbering on the other end of the line.

Same here. I was all set to move over to Verizon with this new iPhone, but the moment I heard it couldn't do data and voice at the same time on Verizon, my decision was instantly easier. I was sticking with AT&T.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
he's pretty into twitter, instagram, etc and he also uses it as a phone, so it's a dealbreaker for him.

That's all stuff I do too, but why does he need to Tweet while on a phone call? Make call, hang up, go on about your tweeting and photo taking.

Just odd that some people need to use the internet while on a call, unless they need to look up something quick.

This makes more sense to me, though my calls are usually only a couple of minutes max.

Einbroch

Banned
Yeah no data and voice at the same time sucks, but my Droid X would crash whenever I tried loading the web while on the phone so it's not something I'm used to doing.

Top Bottom