• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Yeah no data and voice at the same time sucks, but my Droid X would crash whenever I tried loading the web while on the phone so it's not something I'm used to doing.

Well that sounds like a good feature of the Droid then. It helped set your expectations lower going forward. lol

Last year, if you bought AT&T full price from the Apple Store, it was unlocked.

Yeah, but that hasn't been confirmed to be the case with the iPhone 5.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that you currently can't buy a full price phone directly from Apple in the U.S.

123rl

I signed for a new contract with Three because I wanted their All You Can Eat plan. I sent an email to Three to say I haven't received any email or confirmation since placing my order. They just rang me back and confirmed I'll have it on Friday. After a shaky start I am impressed with Three. I think I can just put the lack of communication down to it being a very busy few days for them. The tariff I've got is fantastic.

iPhone with absolutely no data limits or throttling. So happy :D I was almost afraid to use my iPhone on Orange because I had a 750MB limit. 39 minutes of Spotify a night and a bit of browsing on my dinner break would almost push me over the limit each month

Crimmy

I don't understand why the individual states they have to "open it" to "activate it" and then "deactivate it." Can't the individual just activate it on their own?

Wow... man.

It's going to blow your face off.

This is my phone, has been for 3 years.

cCAw3.jpg

My body isn't ready.

That's all stuff I do too, but why does he need to Tweet while on a phone call? Make call, hang up, go on about your tweeting and photo taking.

Just odd that some people need to use the internet while on a call, unless they need to look up something quick.

This makes more sense to me, though my calls are usually only a couple of minutes max.
it's a bigger deal to some people than it is to others.

numble

Yeah, but that hasn't been confirmed to be the case with the iPhone 5.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that you currently can't buy a full price phone directly from Apple in the U.S.

They technically didn't sell the full-priced phones either. But if you say you're on AT&T, but don't want a 2-year contract, they sell it to you.

ant1532

Banned
ATT was telling me i should get it September 21 or 22, now i called for order status and the guy said two weeks est shipping so its Oct. 7th. fuck.

I signed for a new contract with Three because I wanted their All You Can Eat plan. I sent an email to Three to say I haven't received any email or confirmation since placing my order. They just rang me back and confirmed I'll have it on Friday. After a shaky start I am impressed with Three. I think I can just put the lack of communication down to it being a very busy few days for them. The tariff I've got is fantastic.

iPhone with absolutely no data limits or throttling. So happy :D I was almost afraid to use my iPhone on Orange because I had a 750MB limit. 39 minutes of Spotify a night and a bit of browsing on my dinner break would almost push me over the limit each month

39 minutes of Spotify made me laugh. So specific.

It is a lot of image processing. But most people (or at the very least, me) aren't going to spend the time in photo processing software, so it's an improvement nonetheless. It does something similar to Pureview:

Is it an option though? I'm okay if it's an option. I'm not so sure I like it if it's automatic with no choice where it's going to bump it to such a high ISO to create a noisy picture. That Han pic doesn't have to be so bright. I'm just not a fan of noise and like to keep it to a minimum. Plus Apple has basic enhancements built into the core picture viewing so no need for an external app. I hope it's optional like HDR is and I like how HDR will give you the original and the HDR version too. ISO 3200 is not going to be great on a camera sensor of that size. Speaking of option, when is Apple going to give users advanced controls for the core camera? It's one thing I'm a bit jealous of from the Android front.

CSRs are clueless, they've been telling everyone that just to get them off the phone. Underpromise, overdeliver is the MO apparently. It's best to just check the status of the order yourself:

https://wireless.att.com/order_status

That URL doesn't work fyi.

I knew something was up with my second phone order when I got an email yesterday about one of the phones I ordered being fully processed, but no email for the other one.

So I call them up, wait 50 minutes to talk to someone, and then she informs me my credit card didn't work for some reason. I guess they figured this was just my problem to realize at some point, because I never received a single message telling me this news. So she presses a few buttons and the order goes through. Fucking ridiculous.

So I guess it's still possible my phone will show up alongside my wife's on Friday, but I suspect it's a long shot. Of course the ATT rep couldn't give me a specific piece of information about anything shipping related.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Shipping dock at work gave me a ring because I told them to watch for a package for me, said UPS usually comes by at 9-10am. So hopefully by this time Friday I will have my phone!

Dreaver

Finally upgrading my HTC Desire! I'll have to wait till friday before I can pre-order (damn you America!). The 5 is a very, very sexy phone.
Now the hardest decicions...

White vs black?

In Austin I couldn't even use cellular data half the time during the day, but it would become blazing fast after peak hours. Same in a lot of other cities; their infrastructure blows. Ask anyone in NYC. Also massive dropped call percentage. My Verizon iPad 3 works extremely well everywhere by comparison. Switching to Verizon for the iPhone 5.

Enjoy your sub-10 mbps download speeds.

Seth C

I use data all the time while on calls. Sometimes to look things up (directions, movie times, restaurants, etc.) that are pertinent to the conversation I'm having, sometimes because I'm bored out of my mind by the person blabbering on the other end of the line.

It's a feature I couldn't do without.

It's come in handy for me many times while waiting on hold for someone at a call center.

Marco1

Apple have taken the money from my account even though my pre-order is processing and delivery date is Oct 5th.
Do they usually do this?

gatti-man

So what do you guys think my chances are of walking into att in my hometown and buying one? Its what ive done for the past two launches.

As opposed to 0mbps in Austin and NYC half the time? Sounds good, yeah.

Cant get past verizons issue of no talk and data at the same time. I use that feature maybe 4 times a year but every time it is very important.

subrock

Alright, just confirmed with UPS that my phone is now sitting in a Rogers store 2 blocks from me. Now begins the longest 48 hours in recent memory.

As opposed to 0mbps in Austin and NYC half the time? Sounds good, yeah.

This x 1,000,000.

Just ran a speed test in Midtown Manhattan. On 3G it's about 0.24 Mbps down and 0.03 Mbps. And that's a good speed. Half the time data just sits at zero.

I'd wet my pants for 8 Mbps down consistently.

MiniKelly

I don't understand why the individual states they have to "open it" to "activate it" and then "deactivate it." Can't the individual just activate it on their own?

For Verizon upgrades, only the original account holder can activate the iPhone.
This prevents iPhone from being stolen.

Zutroy

UK order now shipped within the last couple of hours. I presume UPS will have been told not to deliver till Friday though?

Just left an Verizon authorized reseller store and they said they're getting exactly 1 32gb black on Friday, they put it aside for me after I gave my name and #. Going to pick it up 9am Friday. Feels good knowing I don't have to worry about finding one

Top Bottom