• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

border

People are disappointed because every fucking feature of this phone was leaked beforehand and it offers nothing new, please reign your neck in with this everyone is against apple bs. It is really getting old.

What "new" things should the iPhone 5 be offering?

noah111

Still Alive
I dunno, Apple sure will be different with no Steve Jobs...that much has been apparent so far. I've seen so much shit that would not fly with Jobs.
I'm sorry, but you just don't know what the fuck you're talking about. If Jobs had died a year earlier than he did, people would be saying the same thing.

RevDM

Banned
This might be the case for the next iOS (wild speculation), but I am really tired of the UI. Shit needs to be updated, and "we've added an extra row!" is just insulting.

coldfoot

Banned
I think having a better phone all in all is worth the weight.
You are not the average customer who likes a sleek lightweight phone with a managable size with good materials and easy to use. I'd rather carry a 7" tablet in my pocket than the lumia 920.

Besides Windows Mobile sucks at app selection and ecosystem, and any OS with a registry is shit.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Honestly, how bad ass would it be Apple was able to keep the phone at about the same thickness as the 4 or 4s, but triple battery life? THAT would be a feature that would raise eyebrows.

edgefusion

I dunno, Apple sure will be different with no Steve Jobs...that much has been apparent so far. I've seen so much shit that would not fly with Jobs.

You should work for Apple. You know so much about what Steve Jobs would like, they would love to have someone there who knows the inner workings of his mind.

Honestly, how bad ass would it be Apple was able to keep the phone at about the same thickness as the 4 or 4s, but triple battery life? THAT would be a feature that would raise eyebrows.

I wish all companies would do this, I think we've reached a point with most phones that I don't think they really need to get much thinner. I'd much rather have crazy good battery life, especially if all it required is if phones were the same size as the iPhone 4/4s or other comparable smartphones.

The competition introduces features that are often half-baked or not ready for prime time at all every year and in every other device. That's not a model Apple follows.

I agree with this for the most part, NFC is nice but the infrastructure just isn't there yet. As for wireless charging I imagine they're looking for a more elegant solution than just replacing the usb cable with a cable coming out of a power mat. I wonder if they could make the top of the Apple TV the power mat.

Nicktendo86

Something, anything really. It does feel like we are getting to a point where you can't really do much more with a smartphone but their bullet points were features that we have already had. Panarama mode? Really? This is a refinement of the iPhone but it is not driving the industry forward in any way. I slag off the s3 but at least it ha some interesting features like the go to sleep if u look away and will phone the contact you are texting if you hold the phone up to your ear. This presentation didn't have any new ideas.

Was hoping for a bit more out of the 5 (specifically a significant battery life increase, NFC and a camera upgrade). I don't think it's going to be enough to win me over, even with the app ecosystem advantage that iPhone has.

I don't really care so much about the extra height / thinner body.

I think the main surprise for me is the total lack of an exclusive software feature (apart from expanded screen space on existing apps).

Then again, the new iPad had the same thing - no new software features, just better display quality - and it's getting software-exclusive Siri support with iOS 6 that the iPad 2 isn't getting. Hmm.

Anyhow, buying the iPhone 5 for the speed and improved battery life more than anything else.

tino

Banned
Apple has totally failed the "secretcy" thing, that much is for sure.

I think Tim Cook will continue to refine the successful product lineup carefully. There is no incentive for him to take big risk.

border

Wireless charging, NFC, camera stabilizer, generally improved camera... For example ;)

Except that the reception would have been exactly the same. Nobody actually cares about wireless chargers or NFC. And those that do would be spewing the same line of bullshit they are about the LTE and 4" screen -- "They're just matching what Android phones have done for months!"

raven777

question about the LTE

At the keynote I heard something about putting all the LTE chips into one.

Apparently at the apple site there is 3 different models. So do I have to buy corresponding models to use the LTE in corresponding country's band?

Because I want to use iphone 5 in 2 countries, one using band 4 and the other using band 3. So its not possible?

bump

Can anyone help me with this?

CrankyJay

Banned

Why triple right away when they can release those improvements in increments making money all the while? That would be like Intel releasing processors that make giant leaps in a single generation. There's a ton of money to be made selling the increments.

Totakeke

Lumia 920 introduced a touchscreen from Synaptics (yes, they didn't make it themselves) that allows you to use the touchscreen with a glove. They also introduced a completely new OIS technology.

Both things, if they were introduced by Apple, I have no doubt that would receive much larger fanfare than Nokia did. Apple did not introduce anything significant of the sort that changes the ways you can use the phone.

dude

dude
Except that the reception would have been exactly the same. Nobody actually cares about wireless chargers or NFC. And those that do would be spewing the same line of bullshit they are about the LTE and 4" screen -- "They're just matching what Android phones have done for months!"

Ah, but they'll have two more things to say it's matching.

bob page

Wireless charging, NFC, camera stabilizer, generally improved camera... For example ;)

Apple only implements features that are practical and useful for the majority of their users (which may be why LTE isn't making an appearance until now, when most carriers are beginning to push it heavily). NFC is still practically useless at this point in time and wireless charging still needs a cradle. As far as the camera goes, it's supposed to be improved. Higher MP doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. They claim improved night shots and reduced noise, too, which is great (my two main complaints with the 4S).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why triple right away when they can release those improvements in increments making money all the while? That would be like Intel releasing processors that make giant leaps in a single generation. There's a ton of money to be made selling the increments.

Eh, but the battery life here is of no consequence, nobody will really notice it.

If Apple came out in one fell swoop and tripled battery life so that you could use it as much as you possibly can with all features on and get through a long day, they would sell all the phones.

I hate that if I get an extended battery for my S3 it makes a huge ass annoying bump in the back of the phone. I LOVE that the Razr Maxx distributes it evenly. I really wish more companies would make this kind of design decision.

border

Something, anything really. It does feel like we are getting to a point where you can't really do much more with a smartphone but their bullet points were features that we have already had.

That's kind of my point. People say they wanted something new and innovative, but when pressed for what they wanted they are incredibly vague. Even if they'd included some of Android's bleeding edge tech, I kinda doubt that would have been enough to really get anyone fired up.

We've probably reached the point where announcements for any smartphone are going to get less and less exciting......and manufacturers are going to be pushing a bunch of tiny innovations whose application is mostly niche and situational.

SUPREME1

Banned
I'm sorry, but you just don't know what the fuck you're talking about. If Jobs had died a year earlier than he did, people would be saying the same thing.

Well, he was losing his magic touch... yes.

But even with him losing that magic touch, he would still have come up something fresh. A feature to talk about. LTE is the only major upgrade on this phone, a technolgy that has been available on lesser phones for quite a while and was expected on the 4S.

The incremental upgrades in weight and size is nothing to be excited about.

Steve would be disappointed. The man strived for perfection, reached for the stars. This iPhone falls short.

Still, it's a very solid offering and I might even pick opne up in December. It's a toss up between this, the Galaxy Note (ii?), the SIII and the EVO 4G LTE.

Dyno

All the little changes makes it seem like it will be better for gaming. That's not a bad thing to get when you think it's time to upgrade your iPhone.

coldfoot

Banned
Lumia 920 introduced a touchscreen from Synaptics (yes, they didn't make it themselves) that allows you to use the touchscreen with a glove. They also introduced a completely new OIS technology.
Apple introduced in-cell touchscreen tech that results in a thinner phone, and a thinner camera with better low-light performance. The goals of two companies are different. Apple's goal is sexy and no one would sign off on a 182g phone over there.

I'm considering getting the Sprint version, but vary of internet speeds in the NYC area.

Totakeke

Apple introduced in-cell touchscreen tech that results in a thinner phone, and a thinner camera with better low-light performance. The goals of two companies are different. Apple's goal is sexy.

The result is a thinner phone yes. iPhone 5 still has great design. Apple has always been sexy and exciting, but they're not bringing anything that exciting this time.

Jacobi

Banned
Apple only implements features that are practical and useful for the majority of their users (which may be why LTE isn't making an appearance until now, when most carriers are beginning to push it heavily). NFC is still practically useless at this point in time and wireless charging still needs a cradle. As far as the camera goes, it's supposed to be improved. Higher MP doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. They claim improved night shots and reduced noise, too, which is great (my two main complaints with the 4S).
The photos on apples iphone pages don't exactly look mind-blowing.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
bump

Can anyone help me with this?

It doesn't seem so. LTE bands vary wildly, with band 4 being North America and band 3 being Europe

cjelly said:
"LTE - Single chip, single radio, dynamic antenna."

*releases three different LTE iPhones*

eh, you really can't blame them for this -- there's a crapload of LTE bands...some aren't even provided here

Kabuto

As far as the camera goes, it's supposed to be improved. Higher MP doesn't necessarily mean higher quality. They claim improved night shots and reduced noise, too, which is great (my two main complaints with the 4S).

Just going off from what Bob said and what tech sites are saying, is the camera that much improved over the 4S'? I thought the crystal sapphire would improve quality somehow but it seems it's just improving durability.

border

Steve would be disappointed. The man strived for perfection, reached for the stars. This iPhone falls short.

Do people just fail to understand that Jobs left a roadmap for the company that stretched years into the future? Whether you like the iPhone 5 or not, it still has his fingerprints all over it.

The iPhone 3G was almost literally the same as the original iPhone......except with a cheap plastic back that inevitably cracked and a 3G antenna. Some of the upgrades done under the Jobs era were far less impressive than the iPhone 5.

Nicktendo86

That's kind of my point. People say they wanted something new and innovative, but when pressed for what they wanted they are incredibly vague. Even if they'd included some of Android's bleeding edge tech, I kinda doubt that would have been enough to really get anyone fired up.

We've probably reached the point where announcements for any smartphone are going to get less and less exciting......and manufacturers are going to be pushing a bunch of tiny innovations whose application is mostly niche and situational.

I agree with you to a point but, like totakeke said, Nokia introduced a capacitive touch screen that lets you wear any gloves and use the device. That is a big, useful innovation, what has apple brought to the table with the iPhone 5?

Edit: and that is true, if they included some of androids 'bleeding edge tech' no one would have been fired up because they would have seen it before, on android devices. The best ideas are the ones that you say after seeing them "doh, why didn't I think of that" as in retrospect they seem obvious but apple didn't have any of those. The hardware is marvellous though, it looks a real engineering feat.

bob page

The photos on apples iphone pages don't exactly look mind-blowing.

They're just as good as, if not better, than any other phone photo I've ever seen. Feel free to prove me wrong (must be at the original resolution without any filters, etc).

Just going off from what Bob said and what tech sites are saying, is the camera that much improved over the 4S'? I thought the crystal sapphire would improve quality somehow but it seems it's just improving durability.
Same megapixels, but increase shutter speed, better night shots, and reduced noise. Plus, I think the sapphire lens will be great since both my 4 and 4S lenses got tiny hairline scratches on them, decreases photo clarity.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
NFC is only "practically useless" if you don't have a phone that supports it. If you do, there's a surprising number of stores and retailers that already support it, including a number of nationwide chains. If Apple started offering NFC in their iPhones, guaranteed it would become even more "practical and useful" to the majority of customers in no time. That's what is so unfortunate about it's absence in the iPhone 5.

And there's nothing really bleeding edge about NFC - it's well established, stable technology, right up Apple's alley.

bob page

NFC is only "practically useless" if you don't have a phone that supports it. If you do, there's a surprising number of stores and retailers that already support it, including a number of nationwide chains. If Apple started offering NFC in their iPhones, guaranteed it would become even more "practical and useful" to the majority of customers in no time. That's what is so unfortunate about it's absence in the iPhone 5.

And there's nothing really bleeding edge about NFC - it's well established, stable technology, right up Apple's alley.

That's pretty BS and you know it. I live in NYC and the only place I've seen that actively uses NFC is Macy's. Hell, I see more retailers supporting Square. Maybe in a few years it'll be better, but right now, I can't imagine a time I would ever use it (it's only as good as the places that implement it, which is definitely sparse right now).

Cipherr

Definitely this.

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

NFC use is definitely spreading alot. Its not some extremely miniscule thing in the U.S at all anymore. There's a lot of merchants and chains where it can be used, which is why, prior to us finding out the iPhone5 didn't have it..... people were more than ok and even happy when they thought it was coming.

That's pretty BS and you know it. I live in NYC and the only place I've seen that actively uses NFC is Macy's. Hell, I see more retailers supporting Square.

Except its not BS. I posted a link, people can search their own areas all they like. Its not some rinky dink service that only 1 merchant offers. No matter how much you would love to paint that picture, it ain't true. Visa and MC, major brands both support NFC. Hell every MasterCard I own has paypass NFC built right into the card.

Yoshiya

Anand says the A6 uses two Cortex A15s, but given the incredible lack of leaks on that front I wouldn't be surprised if it were just an A5 clocked at 1.6GHz. Disappointing but I guess from a consumer perspective calling it a "new" processor would still be fair, given the gains would be very noticeable.

LordCanti

Definitely this.

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

NFC use is definitely spreading alot. Its not some extremely miniscule thing in the U.S at all anymore. There's a lot of merchants and chains where it can be used, which is why, prior to us finding out the iPhone5 didn't have it..... people were more than ok and even happy when they thought it was coming.

Except its not BS. I posted a link, people can search their own areas all they like. Its not some rinky dink service that only 1 merchant offers. No matter how much you would love to paint that picture, it ain't true. Visa and MC, major brands both support NFC. Hell every MasterCard I own has paypass NFC built right into the card.

Does NFC have advantages over swiping a credit card? I've never looked into the technology, but from the outside it just seems like a way to process a CC transaction. Is the advantage the fact that you could pay with your phone if you forgot your card?

ascii42

Do people just fail to understand that Jobs left a roadmap for the company that stretched years into the future? Whether you like the iPhone 5 or not, it still has his fingerprints all over it.

The iPhone 3G was almost literally the same as the original iPhone......except with a cheap plastic back that inevitably cracked and a 3G antenna. Some of the upgrades done under the Jobs era were far less impressive than the iPhone 5.
Inevitably cracked? Mine's still fine.

Top Bottom