• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

bonesquad

I don't get what people expected. It just seems in general we've reached a lull for a while hardware-wise (outside of speedier guts). Specifically, what didn't Apple announce that would have made 5 a big leap? I don't want wireless charging, but I will say I was disappointed that iPhone 5 doesn't have NFC. Which seemed odd after they created that new passbook app.

What disappoints me isn't what's missing, but what they did show. I wanted an overall larger screen, not one that is just taller. Bah! I still like what's available in Apple's app store better than elsewhere so I don't plan to switch. I'm just not sure I'll get a 5.

noah111

Still Alive
Compilation of the hires glamour shots out there, for those interested;
2012-iphone5-gallery6-zoom
2012-iphone5-gallery7-zoom

2012-iphone5-gallery1
2012-iphone5-gallery2

2012-iphone5-gallery3-zoom_GEO_US
2012-iphone5-gallery4-zoom

I don't get what people expected. It just seems in general we've reached a lull for a while hardware-wise (outside of speedier guts). Specifically, what didn't Apple announce that would have made 5 a big leap? I don't want wireless charging, but I will say I was disappointed that iPhone 5 doesn't have NFC. Which seemed odd after they created that new passbook app.

What disappoints me isn't what's missing, but what they did show. I wanted an overall larger screen, not one that is just taller. Bah! I still like what's available in Apple's app store better than elsewhere so I don't plan to switch. I'm just not sure I'll get a 5.

Still can't get over this. It looks odd to me. Too tall and narrow...needs some width to it.

Dunk#7

I am trying to decide between the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3.

From a technical perspective can we truly say one is better than the other? I see the extra GB of RAM in the S3, but do we know anything about the speed of the RAM in the iPhone 5 or the technical aspects of the A6 yet? Could the iPhone 5 still have a processing advantage?

I have been holding out with my 3GS waiting on this announcement before comparing my options. I will be jailbreaking so whatever customization argument somebody wants to make is a mute point. I can customize the iOS as much as I want.

However I do see some interesting features on the S3 like the ability for it to detect that you are looking at the screen to prevent dimming. Are there other unique features like this that I should know about?

I am most likely going to go with the iPhone 5, but want to see the best argument for the Galaxy S3 to try and convince myself otherwise.

I think having a better phone all in all is worth the weight.

You have all the nice things of windows phone 8 including live-tiles (versus new row of icons lol) and lenses

- NFC > no NFC

- Wireless charging > no wireless charging

- Best camera in any current smartphone > good camera

- Huge screen with higher dpi > smaller screen with lower dpi

- Touchscreen that can be used with anything > old touch screen tech

- Screen with highest refresh rate > lower refresh rate

- Screen with (according to nokia) best sunlight readability > worse readability

this is just hardware stuff, and im sure im missing it. and windows phone 8 is not even fully unveiled - and wp7 is awesome already. looks like nokia really has been pushing the envelope with the 920

Tell me more about wonderful Windows products, friend.

dude

dude
6tPJ3.jpg

But I do agree, it looks a lot like a mini-Lumia.

The similarity is not as disturbing as the fact that it just doesn't look good. It's like a wrong version of the Lumia.

Which is weird, because I usually like Apple's industrial design... Maybe they're trying to even the field so that their UI designer wouldn't feel bad?

From a technical perspective can we truly say one is better than the other? I see the extra GB of RAM in the S3, but do we know anything about the speed of the RAM in the iPhone 5 or the technical aspects of the A6 yet? Could the iPhone 5 still have a processing advantage?

I have been holding out with my 3GS waiting on this announcement before comparing my options. I will be jailbreaking so whatever customization argument somebody wants to make is a mute point. I can customize the iOS as much as I want.

However I do see some interesting features on the S3 like the ability for it to detect that you are looking at the screen to prevent dimming. Are there other unique features like this that I should know about?

I am most likely going to go with the iPhone 5, but want to see the best argument for the Galaxy S3 to try and convince myself otherwise.

Forget all that CPU/GPU talk. In the end, both are about on par. Pick which OS you prefer...that is the most important thing IMO.

bionic77

have you heard of something called latency? LTE is a serious upgrade.
I have both dude and honestly I don't care about LTE unless it is unlimited. That is like having FIOS with a 20 gig cap. Yeah it is fast as fuck but you will have to ration it like a mofo.

And I understand and love the speed of LTE (like I said I have a Verizon mifi and it is magical tech) but the caps really hurt the usefulness of the tech.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, the iPhone will definitely fit better in girl hands. I guess it's the side effect of the polycarbonate casing they use.
If anything, it should be lighter because of its plastic casing (it's a plastic that they don't want to call plastic). I like a lot about Lumia 920, but 182g is too heavy to be lugged around in pockets.

rozay

Banned

I'm seeing conflicting rumors about whether the A6 is a quad-core A9 based processor or an A15 based processor (is samsung even capable of making these right now?)

bionic77

I would prefer the Nexus over the S3 but you would be happy with any of those phones. Go play with each one in a store and decide that way yourself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hard to care about LTE when cell companies are so insanely stingy with their data caps.

I guess I just see the appeal more of using the basic internet functions really fast on the go. Those aren't heavy bandwidth consumers but it's extremely convienent to have it at LTE speeds.

Tell me more about wonderful Windows products, friend.

of course i am a windows fan, but these are facts and apple lost its position as the default #1 tech phone that it had for years.

as copernicus said, this is just hardware, just nokia and not about the os. and apple lost this battle, it is just as simple as that

dude

dude
the lumia 900 has trapazoid bevels and the nano is a rectangle.

comparing the nano to the lumia does the disservice to the lumia

Oh god, that iPod Nano UI is so ugly, it looks like some cheap chinese product. I mean really Apple, web 2.0 gradient balls? Really?

giga

You have all the nice things of windows phone 8 including live-tiles (versus new row of icons lol) and lenses

- NFC > no NFC

- Screen with (according to nokia) best sunlight readability > worse readability

this is just hardware stuff, and im sure im missing it. and windows phone 8 is not even fully unveiled - and wp7 is awesome already. looks like nokia really has been pushing the envelope with the 920
We could have list wars all day. Cortex A15, SGX543MP4 (supposedely, based on the 2X figure. could be double clocked.), 100% sRGB, weight/dimensions, battery life, reversible connector, yadda yadda.

Just pick what you like and call it a day.

Weenerz

Banned

- NFC > no NFC

Champion of Windows phone, I name thee. You are the king of 12. Congratulations!

of course i am a windows fan, but these are facts and apple lost its position as the default #1 tech phone that it had for years.

as copernicus said, this is just hardware, just nokia and not about the os. and apple lost this battle, it is just as simple as that

They only lost if you think "bigger screen = better screen" and gimmicks like wireless charging actually matter. Ultimately all I care about is which phone feels best in my hand, and I'm fairly certain the iPhone is going to continue to be the best in that respect.

Dunk#7

I would prefer the Nexus over the S3 but you would be happy with any of those phones. Go play with each one in a store and decide that way yourself.

hmm I may have to consider the Nexus as well then.

I just know one thing for sure. I HATE THE WINDOWS METRO LOOK

Therefore I won't touch their phones. It will be something iOS or Android

I'd just wait till December...that is usually when the new Nexus comes out unless you can't wait.

rozay

Banned
They only lost if you think "bigger screen = better screen" and gimmicks like wireless charging actually matter. Ultimately all I care about is which phone feels best in my hand, and I'm fairly certain the iPhone is going to continue to be the best in that respect.
The screen has numerous technical improvements over the IPS screens in competing phones, it's not simply "bigger=better"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3321894/apple-iphone-5-separate-gsm-cdma-versions
Seems like it was too hard at this point to fit everything in a single chip. 3 different variants (2 GSM, 1 CDMA)

Spinluck

Did Apple show any of those snazzy videos, I can't really find any videos on the phone, besides people just admiring it's looks.

I does look like a nice piece of kit though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

The start screen can be love it or hate it, but Metro app design is better than iOS and Android, imo.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Lord, what? How can you hate Metro, it makes iOS and Android alike look so dated.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm just saying, I'm not getting the impression that many people actually reach bandwidth caps without going out of their way to do so, i.e. doing obviously bandwidth intensive stuff like downloading 1080p video or whatever. I guess I don't really see the appeal of watching HD video on my phone with regularity either. I just like the convienence if I want to show a funny video to my friends, I can do it instantly.

noah111

Still Alive
The similarity is not as disturbing as the fact that it just doesn't look good. It's like a wrong version of the Lumia.
Agreed, I said this last week just based on the leaks, that it looks like a shitty mini-Lumia. The blue and charcoal versions look decent though. Specifically the latter.

If you're gonna get a Nexus, which personally I would if I switched over, I'd wait because there is a good chance the next Nexus will come out soon.

noah111

Still Alive
Lord, what? How can you hate Metro, it makes iOS and Android alike look so dated.
No sir.

I can't speak for him, but I personally hate Metros look. I like it from a functionality stand point but I just hate it's look.
Agreed. It just rapes my desire for beautiful GUI. That said, it works for some people just great. And that's fine. But I don't think it'll last in an escalating fashion.

Dunk#7

Lol I feel the exact opposite. Having large blocks looks boring and like it was designed by a 10 year old. I just personally can't stand the look of it because it appears bland.

Big square blocks are not for me. I use to build forts with those when I was 5

I am not a Windows/Microsoft hater by any means because I love Windows 7, but get Metro out of my face

Top Bottom