• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Flo_Evans

We could have list wars all day. Cortex A15, SGX543MP4 (supposedely, based on the 2X figure. could be double clocked.), 100% sRGB, weight/dimensions, battery life, reversible connector, yadda yadda.

Just pick what you like and call it a day.

This is more important to me than res or dpi.

John_B

It looks refined in every way you could possibly refine the iPhone. What is it missing? I think people were more hoping for that next new thing that really isn't there at the moment.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I like the Metro look. People complaining about different tile sizes probably don't realize that it's optional and you can have them all same size if you want.

I'm also perversely intrigued by Google Now, and I think this works on GS3 now?

The only thing that attracts me about iphone 5 is the lightness and thin-ness, nothing about software on it seems that attractive anymore. Except of course that I develop stuff for it, so I kind of have to have one around. Sigh.

I'm just saying, I'm not getting the impression that many people actually reach bandwidth caps without going out of their way to do so, i.e. doing obviously bandwidth intensive stuff like downloading 1080p video or whatever. I guess I don't really see the appeal of watching HD video on my phone with regularity either. I just like the convienence if I want to show a funny video to my friends, I can do it instantly.

You'll hit that cap easily when you're tethering.

Lord, what? How can you hate Metro, it makes iOS and Android alike look so dated.

My phone right now is a Samsung Focus with WP7.5. And a work provided iPhone 3GS? Guess which one I use more?

The iPhone! Despite being old and running severely outdated hardware the experience of iOS is just trouble free and hassle free. Also, after looking at Metro's homescreen gets boring after 2 months. At least with iOS I can change the wallpaper. Oh and despite having an extended capacity battery in the Focus my 3GS lasts longer and it gets more use! Oh and the Focus requires regular (almost daily) reboots. The 3GS does not.

I was thinking of giving Android a shot, but I think I'll just stick with the best overall experience. The Apple experience.

LCfiner

I think Metro looks nice but it defintely feels very "designer-y" and will likely feel dated fairly quickly.

regarding iOS, I think the original, minimal chrome look for apps looks great. the recent (~2 years) fascination with leather and stitching and other "real world" textures looks silly and will seem dated very quickly (it already is for me)

dude

dude
Agreed, I said this last week just based on the leaks, that it looks like a shitty mini-Lumia. The blue and charcoal versions look decent though. Specifically the latter.
It looks better than the white, but the design is just wrong. Just look at that round button in the middle, it has absolutley no flow with the rest of the design. I don't know what happened there, Apple usually excells at product design (at least until you turn it on and see all those fucking gradients everywhere.)

Metro looks like a flash site.

Maybe if it was created by someone with high design sensibilities. In my opinion, Metro is one of the best design UIs out there - It's clean, it's modern, it's functional, it's completley digital and it's very unique. I have a Zune HD and it's one of the best experiences I've ever had in terms of UI. You can not like the the design, but you can't ignore the amount of thought was put into this thing, you can see it in every animation.

Kurdel

Banned
Who cares about product reviews when we have an army of Internet conoisseurs to fill us in on how products they have never touched aren't good?

It looks refined in every way you could possibly refine the iPhone. What is it missing? I think people were more hoping for that next new thing that really isn't there at the moment.

Rabid, ADHD neckbeard geeks who have no idea what they want or what other people want, being 'dissapointed', even though this is probably the biggest iPhone update in its history. Who knows, maybe they would have been happier if Apple slapped a shitty plastic case around a 5" screen and called it a day. Instead, they took the harder route, and refined and improved the hell out of every component of the phone, internal and external, while making it a size it believes works well. To some, iPhone will perpetually be playing "catch-up with Android"- because they release 1 phone a year. Obviously advances will be made during that time, and Apple isn't going to run and shit out a new phone every time that happens.

Anyway, Goin for the charcoal, day 1.

Gisk

Banned
My phone right now is a Samsung Focus with WP7.5. And a work provided iPhone 3GS? Guess which one I use more?

The iPhone! Despite being old and running severely outdated hardware the experience of iOS is just trouble free and hassle free. Also, after looking at Metro's homescreen gets boring after 2 months. At least with iOS I can change the wallpaper. Oh and despite having an extended capacity battery in the Focus my 3GS lasts longer and it gets more use! Oh and the Focus requires regular (almost daily) reboots. The 3GS does not.

I was thinking of giving Android a shot, but I think I'll just stick with the best overall experience. The Apple experience.

Process class contains post
Post contains class smug
Smug levels over buffer area
Please reboot

Maybe if it was created by someone with high design sensibilities. In my opinion, Metro is one of the best design UIs out there - It's clean, it's modern, it's functional, it's completley digital and it's very unique. I have a Zune HD and it's one of the best experiences I've ever had in terms of UI. You can not like the the design, but you can't ignore the amount of thought was put into this thing, you can see it in every animation.

It's clean and modern, but nothing else. I say this as a WP7.5 daily user.

Flo_Evans

I like the Metro look. People complaining about different tile sizes probably don't realize that it's optional and you can have them all same size if you want.

I'm also perversely intrigued by Google Now, and I think this works on GS3 now?

The only thing that attracts me about iphone 5 is the lightness and thin-ness, nothing about software on it seems that attractive anymore. Except of course that I develop stuff for it, so I kind of have to have one around. Sigh.

It looks cool but from a UX perspective I found it a pain to use. Unlabeled cryptic icons that you have to hit another button to discover their function, truncated headers and titles, non obvious horizontal scroll areas, buttons and links not differentiated from text, a confirm/cancel scheme flipped from ever other western standard interface.

Oh God, no you didn't. You know Dan Lyons is pretty much the most rabid anti-Apple troll, right? No clue why he's considered some type of tech analyst. Go back read his previous articles, he shits on everything Apple. The guy is a joke.

It reads like it's written by a 9th grader that's took an AP Writing class and think he's hot shit. It's annoying. The entire fanboy mentality between Android and iOS is fucking disgusting. It's disgusting to watch grown ass men and women hop on these bandwagons. Same reason why I can't stand the whole "my team! vs your team!" bullshit in sports.

Both platforms are more than viable. Both are fantastic. Both are fully mature. Right now my choice is between an S3 that I could pick up this weekend or the iPhone 5. I'll probably go with the latter as I'm heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem and enjoy the ease of use. I use airplay, itunes match and sync calendars/contacts/notes/reminders on my macbook.

With all that said iOS is feeling a bit stale. I've been looking at the same icons in the same grid since 2008.

From a hardware perspective I think we're reaching a point of diminishing returns. So many phones are on par or exceed the iPhone in some capacity and there's nothing wrong with that but in the end it's a matter of preference in software. iOS has been good money for me.

But I'll be damned if Jellybean isn't smooth as butter and very responsive. I love it on my nexus 7 and have no complaints.

Process class contains post
Post contains class smug
Smug levels over buffer area
Please reboot

simpsons-nerd.gif

Al-ibn Kermit

Yup. Imagine if we didn't know about the screen size, LTE, and the camera upgrade.

That an separate annoucements for iOS and iPhone. Imagine if today with no leaks Apple announced the iPhone 5 with new maps, and all the other features of iOS 6. The entire blogoshere and media outlet would be drooling beyond comprehension.

That's true, but tbf most of those things are to bring it on par with the competition.

The new maps would have made a big splash but it still wouldn't necessarily be better than what was offered on Android.

Robot Pants

As someone who's never owned an iPhone, i feel pretty safe knowing this is a definite purchase without feeling pangs of guilt (or sarcastically brushing the phone off) knowing full well its not that big of a leap from the previous iteration.
This is how I feel. IPhone 5 is perfect for new adopters like me. I think the 6 is where it will get interesting again.

dude

dude

I've yet to get a WP7 phone (mainly because it's not available in my country and last I checked doesn't support my langauge), though a friends has one and I've seen much of it - But I do have a Zune HD that I use a lot. I think it has something no other currently popular UI has that sets it apart for me - It feels dynamic, you can feel the motion. This is especially true for me Zune HD, each time it does that little zoom in/out thing I get a little giddy.

And personally, I just can't stand it when something on my screen tries to be something it's not - I hate when UI has fake textures, or tries to look 3D with some cheap gradient etc. It just feels tacky and unelegant to me. Metro doesn't try to look like anything, it's wholly digital and you can feel it when using it.

Maybe it's not for you, but as a designer I think Metro is no less than goddamn art.

venne

Rabid, ADHD neckbeard geeks who have no idea what they want or what other people want, being 'dissapointed', even though this is probably the biggest iPhone update in its history. Who knows, maybe they would have been happier if Apple slapped a shitty plastic case around a 5" screen and called it a day. Instead, they took the harder route, and refined and improved the hell out of every component of the phone, internal and external, while making it a size it believes works well. To some, iPhone will perpetually be playing "catch-up with Android"- because they release 1 phone a year. Obviously advances will be made during that time, and Apple isn't going to run and shit out a new phone every time that happens.

But what about your Nokia 610?

DSN2K

I think people are right to feel a bit disappointed, renovation not innovation...still looks a top phone for apple fans.

Nicktendo86

Oh God, no you didn't. You know Dan Lyons is pretty much the most rabid anti-Apple troll, right? No clue why he's considered some type of tech analyst. Go back read his previous articles, he shits on everything Apple. The guy is a joke, and makes a living out of Apple bashing. He's mocked everything from the unibody laptops to the iPad.

What, pray tell, is factually wrong with that article?

Dunk#7

I don't understand how it looks modern. It has always looked like a step backwards to me.

Aren't squares the easiest thing to make digitally? Rounded edges almost always look better.

There is just nothing special about square blocks and it looks plain, simple, and boring to me.

I've yet to get a WP7 phone (mainly because it's not available in my country and last I checked doesn't support my langauge), though a friends has one and I've seen much of it - But I do have a Zune HD that I use a lot. I think it has something no other currently popular UI has that sets it apart for me - It feels dynamic, you can feel the motion. This is especially true for me Zune HD, each time it does that little zoom in/out thing I get a little giddy.

And personally, I just can't stand it when something on my screen tries to be something it's not - I hate when UI has fake textures, or tries to look 3D with some cheap gradient etc. It just feels tacky and unelegant to me. Metro doesn't try to look like anything, it's wholly digital and you can feel it when using it.

Maybe it's not for you, but as a designer I think Metro is no less than goddamn art.

Even from a designer perspective... the Metro UI is mimicking the command prompt/DOS look with the "digital" look. Not exactly pleasing to the eye.

Nicktendo86

No, they are "playing catch up to android" by introducing features that have been on android for years. People are disappointed because every fucking feature of this phone was leaked beforehand and it offers nothing new, please reign your neck in with this everyone is against apple bs. It is really getting old.

dude

dude
Even from a designer perspective... the Metro UI is mimicking the command prompt/DOS look with the "digital" look. Not exactly pleasing to the eye.

I find Metro very pleasing to the eyes. But, as they say, beauty is subjective, I can't really argue to you why I think Metro is pretty - like people who like Apple's UI design can't explain to me what's to like about it. All I can tell you is what make it interesting and appealing to me, but we appearnaly have different priorities. I was just trying to explain what makes Metro popular and highly-regarded to it's many fans.

What, pray tell, is factually wrong with that article?

Well his logic for comparing R&D costs and comparing markethsare for starters. He makes some good points but he also makes some weird conclusions. Of course people from either side of the argument will soley latch on to the stuff that fits their argument and ignore the stuff that doesn't.

I dunno, Apple sure will be different with no Steve Jobs...that much has been apparent so far. I've seen so much shit that would not fly with Jobs.

*FACEPALM*

Original iPhone to iPhone 3G: better antenna and 3G
iPhone 3G to 3GS: Better performance and an app store
3GS to 4: Thinner design, FaceTime, hi-res screen
4 to 4S: Better camera, Siri, better performance
4S to 5: Thinner design, LTE, better performance

YES! The Apple has really fallen from the tree!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My phone already does what I want it to do, mostly, in terms of core features. Better battery life, thinner/lighter, faster, better bandwidth/latency, better camera, and a more ideal screen size, iterating meaningfully on all those areas at the same time is plenty.

I'm not sold on the screen width, though. I think it ideally should be a little wider. And I want better battery life; if I'm traveling and out all day I need to bring an external battery with me just to be safe, which negates thinner & lighter somewhat. At least it's better there than the 4S.

It's a sexy looking device. Very. I think this presentation, if anything, just needed a killer software update reveal to seal it. "Email is updated to take advantage of larger screen" is not something that even bears mentioning.

CrankyJay

Banned
I think the fact I'm sticking with the 4 for a little while longer is a testament to how well it was built. But I really hope they move straight from 5 to 6 next year instead of a 5S.

Otherwise I could foresee myself jumping ship.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Paradoxal Utopia, did you use to be Lu Kang Baking a Pie? I don't remember anyone but that guy getting so worked up by this stuff, and I don't see him posting anymore.

I think the fact I'm sticking with the 4 for a little while longer is a testament to how well it was built. But I really hope they move straight from 5 to 6 next year instead of a 5S.

Otherwise I could foresee myself jumping ship.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. 4 looks as good today as the day it came out, and based on how 5 looks, Ivy seems to agree. I guess I can live with a bit crappy performance under ios6.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just wish more companies would do what Motorola did with the Razr Maxx and sacrifice some thickness for a ton more battery life.

Nicktendo86

Well his logic for comparing R&D costs and comparing markethsare for starters. He makes some good points but he also makes some weird conclusions. Of course people from either side of the argument will soley latch on to the stuff that fits their argument and ignore the stuff that doesn't.

Very true, was part of the reason why I asked Paradoxal to elaborate.

Top Bottom