• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Cloudy

Banned
Not really sure where else to post this, but is there any reason not to upgrade the OS from 5 to 6? On my iPod Touch, by the way. Finally have the opportunity to upgrade it. Aside from the maps fiasco thing, I haven't paid any attention to what else is in the update.

It screws up some old apps that are no longer available in the store (vlc is very unstable for me now)

Tobor

How would you prove it, though? Seems like a nightmare and a half to convince them. Apple has always been good at providing good support, though, so who knows. I guess you could do the whole "used under 30 minutes" thing to secure a replacement.

Molly Wood (of CNET fame) had her SCREEN scratched to hell a day in and she had a heck of a time getting a replacement.

Molly Wood bought an iPhone? Lol. What a hypocrite.

I had my black iPhone 5 since Wednesday, was mint out of the box and I already have a couple of minor scuff marks on the edges.

Oh well...s--- happens, yo.

dealwithit.gif

Vyer

Both times I got my iPhone, it was in store and they opened the box in front of me. Would they refuse to exchange for a different one right then and there?

Yeah if they are opening it right there I doubt you would have much problem (other than stock issues).

I had my appointment with an Apple Genius today regarding my iPhone. Ended up being able to swap my phone because of overheating and battery issues. But the Apple Store didn't have stock at that time so they're gonna have to ship one over to their store for me to pickup. Does anyone know if the phone that I'll be getting will be a refurbished iPhone 5 or a brand new one? Thanks.

Generally they are Apple returns at some point - but with it so new and stock so low right now you probably will just be getting a new one . (Though any refurbs I got in the past were pretty much like new too. I've had iPhones/iPads replaced before and the replacement was spotless)

Edit:

What's up with the home button not responding/working 20% of the time?

Sometimes I press it and nothing happens, so ill wait a second or two and then press it again and it registers a double press where it opens the running programs.

I haven't seen that yet. If that's happening on the 5, I'd get it replaced (unless you have just gotten it dirty. Someone in a thread mentioned its easily cleanable but I don't remember what they used).

AEREC

Sometimes I press it and nothing happens, so ill wait a second or two and then press it again and it registers a double press where it opens the running programs.

Maybe you guys should take better care of your phone? I have no case and no scuffs or scratches, at all. I sure as hell am not letting my snot nosed kids touch it either.

5amshift

Banned

You sure you have a 5 and not a 4? The home button has worked perfectly for me since day 1.

gogogow

I preordered on Sprint's site after the initial preorder window and haven't gotten any notification of when exactly I'd get one, despite paying the full price, so I tried my luck at instore pickup and was able to score one.

I got a black, slate, sucks they're changing the replacement policy.

With all the brouhaha, would people have preferred the cheap plastic frame of a SGS3?

What about the same material/quality as the iPhone 4S?

Maybe you guys should take better care of your phone? I have no case and no scuffs or scratches, at all. I sure as hell am not letting my snot nosed kids touch it either.

There are reports that there are scuffs and scratches on iPhone 5's out of the box.

matt360

I've got the weirdest problem now with both my iPhone 5 and new iPad in that I cannot access the App Store or iTunes Store from my home wifi. The internet works just fine on both devices, and if I switch to 3G on my iPhone 5 I still cannot access it from my home. However, if I try to do it from my work I can access the App Store just fine from both devices. I've tried restarting the devices and signing out of and back into my Apple account but nothing sees to work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm also finding that people are having issues with data reporting on Verizon. Heck, my billing cycle just started Wednesday and I've somehow already used 1.5GB and I've been on wifi a lot. With the same usage on my droid x I rarely went past 3GB a month...

grkazan12

Has anyone in here noticed any squeaking with the iPhone 5. Basically whenever I you press down on the left side of the home button it make a slight squeak noise and if I press down on the front glass it squeaks again. No on the sides lift up, but it's somewhat weird. Think I might replace it in a couple of weeks.

I'm also finding that people are having issues with data reporting on Verizon. Heck, my billing cycle just started Wednesday and I've somehow already used 1.5GB and I've been on wifi a lot. With the same usage on my droid x I rarely went past 3GB a month...

Right now my iPhone 5 is reporting 0 bytes sent and received over Verizon under Cellular Usage. :\

It was reporting about 500 megs just a few days after I purchased it, and that was using Wi-fi a lot.

Has anyone in here noticed any squeaking with the iPhone 5. Basically whenever I you press down on the left side of the home button it make a slight squeak noise and if I press down on the front glass it squeaks again. No on the sides lift up, but it's somewhat weird. Think I might replace it in a couple of weeks.

No, but my power button rattles when shaken.

This drove me ****ing crazy on my iPhone 4.

knitoe

For people with wifi problems, are you on connecting with 2.4 or 5 GHz? I notice 5GHz performance is kinda spotty once the connection has to pass a few walls, even with my Linksys E4200 router. Switching to the 2.4GHz band fixed it. To bad, 5GHz band was one the upgrade I was looking forward to. So, if you are running 5GHz, try 2.4GHz instead.

gamma

Whats the deal with Apple and WiFi anyway? Everytime time Apple launches a product be it an iPhone or MacBook or anything really one of the first issues that appear are related to WiFi.

PandaJones

Unconfirmed Member
I'm the only one with WiFi problems?
I was having issues too the 1st day. I read on one of the forums that if you were having problem you could try turning on the HTTP Proxy to Auto
Lb8kH.jpg

It's been perfect since, give it a shot maybe.

For people with wifi problems, are you on connecting with 2.4 or 5 GHz? I notice 5GHz performance is kinda spotty once the connection has to pass a few walls, even with my Linksys E4200 router. Switching to the 2.4GHz band fixed it. To bad, 5GHz band was one the upgrade I was looking forward to. So, if you are running 5GHz, try 2.4GHz instead.

My iP5 drops 5GHz pretty quickly from my Netgear WNDR3700, but it could very well be the routers fault. It flakes out every now and again. 2.4 works perfectly though. I'm certainly not stressing over it.

Vyer

I hated those new linksys/Cisco routers. I tried two, I think the two right below your model, and every mobile device I had would get real spotty past a wall or two (and it wasn't very far away). This was before iOS 6, or the new iPhone, and included a Nexus 7. I eventually gave up and went with a similarly priced dlink. Might not be your issue, but I was disappointed in those routers.

Several things are 5ghz in the house and they are running fine on the new router so far.

kiun

when I go to my itunes preview history list, seems like the app glitches and the done button on the top right corner disappears, leaving me stuck. Anyone else having this problem ?

-griffy-

Banned
Is AppleCare+ available regardless of where you purchased the device? I.e. I bought mine directly through Verizon, but think I'd like to cover the thing because I know my edges are going to look like shit after months of use.

I didn't see this answered yet, so the answer is yes. I purchased mine online through AT&T and got Applecare+ on it after the fact. You can only get it by getting a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store, as they have to inspect the phone to make sure you aren't trying to take advantage with an already broken phone. You have 30 days after the purchase date to add Applecare+ to an iPhone.

Whoa, first bill is $171.40.
First phone and all, didn't think about the activation fee and the multitude of taxes.
I ignorantly thought it was just going to be $100 ($40 smartphone / $60 2Gb data).

I didn't see this answered yet, so the answer is yes. I purchased mine online through AT&T and got Applecare+ on it after the fact. You can only get it by getting a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store, as they have to inspect the phone to make sure you aren't trying to take advantage with an already broken phone. You have 30 days after the purchase date to add Applecare+ to an iPhone.

What if you don't have an Apple Store in town?
Does the Verizon / Best Buy / etc. work? I assume not.

I have the $15/per month Geek Squad insurance, which seems really good, as good as AppleCare if not better, but it is expensive.

VPhys

I wonder if these phones will have a signature "weathered" look over time. I mean, They may actually look better after some use and scratches.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Whoa, first bill is $171.40.
First phone and all, didn't think about the activation fee and the multitude of taxes.
I ignorantly thought it was just going to be $100 ($40 smartphone / $60 2Gb data).

Yep, taxes and fees are the name of the game. It's totally bonkers.

My family has two iPhones (one unlimited, one 2GB), and a dumphone (no data) - and we share 700 minutes (lowest choice) and unlimited texts. With a FAN discount, the bill is about $180/month. It's just absurd. Like.... it's really a massive expense that just didn't exist ten years ago.

Very impressed with the battery right now, on its third full charge.

In the hospital with my wife's sister who just got out of surgery, so my signal is hovering around 2-3 bars. Hasn't hit 5 since I've entered the hospital. Random dead zones as well.

At 53% with 13 hours standby and 6 hours of actual use according to the Usage stats.

With that said, the above measurement includes the following:

Brightness 50%
Location Services On
Heavy LTE browsing
Lengthy Infinity Blade 2 & Dead Trigger sessions
3 e-mail accounts set to push (Work, Personal & Billing)

My 4S would've probably been dead or damn near it by now.

-griffy-

Banned
What if you don't have an Apple Store in town?
Does the Verizon / Best Buy / etc. work? I assume not.

I have the $15/per month Geek Squad insurance, which seems really good, as good as AppleCare if not better, but it is expensive.

You can only do it at an Apple Store if you purchased somewhere else, some carriers allow you to get Applecare at the time of purchase, but not after.

But if you have the Geek Squad insurance than there's no reason to also get Applecare.

Pachimari

I don't even know which band it's running through, and thus' can't even figure out how to change that.

I was having issues too the 1st day. I read on one of the forums that if you were having problem you could try turning on the HTTP Proxy to Auto
Lb8kH.jpg

It's been perfect since, give it a shot maybe.
I'll try that and report back.

Thanks guys. :)

Also, my signal for calls goes from 1 bar to No Signal and I'm on my country's biggest carrier. Maybe the masts are stressed.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'm definitely getting worse battery life compared to my 4. I have to charge every 24-30 hours or so, and I normally don't watch much video or play many games.

I've read some speculation that spotty LTE coverage may be to blame, so I'm considering shutting LTE off to see if that helps. For now I've just gotten into the habit of nightly charging (which I never had to do with my 4).

LaneDS

I'm definitely getting worse battery life compared to my 4. I have to charge every 24-30 hours or so, and I normally don't watch much video or play many games.

I've read some speculation that spotty LTE coverage may be to blame, so I'm considering shutting LTE off to see if that helps. For now I've just gotten into the habit of nightly charging (which I never had to do with my 4).

I had LTE off the last two days at work, side by side with my iPhone 4 (still carrying both, since they're on different plans) and the iPhone 4 just dominates the 5 in terms of battery life... the difference is jarring, and unfortunate.

Zeth

Got this $15 cheap case from Amazon until something super nice/high quality comes out. Will follow thread for suggestions, but this will probably be fine for a month or so. Fits perfectly, just feels a bit light/cheap. I got a clear plastic case from amazon (not pictured) and it's total shit, doesn't even fit right. I don't recommend the sub $10 cases.

Still feels thinner than my naked 4S

this is my first smartphone so i'm still learning a few things, but i went with verizon for my iphone 5, and was wondering why it says 3G and then sometimes says LTE, and if it was possible to get it to say 4G. I just got it yesterday so i'm still messing around with it. But are there some settings or something i'm supposed to turn on so it always says 4G LTE instead of 3G, oh btw i live in NY.

Lima

Got this $15 cheap case from Amazon until something super nice/high quality comes out. Will follow thread for suggestions, but this will probably be fine for a month or so. Fits perfectly, just feels a bit light/cheap. I got a clear plastic case from amazon (not pictured) and it's total shit, doesn't even fit right. I don't recommend the sub $10 cases.

Still feels thinner than my naked 4S

Uggh

DAT UGLY

Seth C

this is my first smartphone so i'm still learning a few things, but i went with verizon for my iphone 5, and was wondering why it says 3G and then sometimes says LTE, and if it was possible to get it to say 4G. I just got it yesterday so i'm still messing around with it. But are there some settings or something i'm supposed to turn on so it always says 4G LTE instead of 3G

It says 3G when your data signal is 3G and 4G LTE when you are on LTE. I don't think Verizon has a 4G service that isn't LTE, unlike AT&T.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well, I think I'm coming to an official conclusion on the battery.... cellular service just destroys its life. Obviously, WiFi is a much smaller power drain than 4G/LTE. Nevertheless, compared to my 4S, my new 5's battery gets destroyed on cell versus Wifi.

The last few days on cellular service, I'd hit 90% in about 20 minutes of usage. On Wifi?

8036208311_a98cec8fb0_z.jpg

About 3.5x the life!

... Luckily I have Wifi at home and work; but on the road this is gonna suck :(

Top Bottom