• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Aren't there a bunch of apps that do this though? What makes Apple's any better?
Apple's processes the stitching/correction/takes into account of moving objects and auto stabilizes the slices as you're shooting. Other apps I don't even think can do half of that stuff, and they all do it post-shoot regardless even if they can.

I've had cars being edited out of shots I've done as these have moved and weren't caught entirely by the viewfinder with spotless results. I'm really impressed by it.

Stay up late and set up an in-store pickup from Apple.

how do u do this? I clicked "buy now" button on the reservation page when it was available and it just took me to the same page I would order an iPhone. I than click on pick up in store but all stores were unavailable.

so confused.

how do u do this? I clicked "buy now" button on the reservation page when it was available and it just took me to the same page I would order an iPhone. I than click on pick up in store but all stores were unavailable.

so confused.

Sounds like you did everything right, assuming you did it between 10 PM - 4 AM PST. I think that means every store around you is out of stock.

Apple's processes the stitching/correction/takes into account of moving objects and auto stabilizes the slices as you're shooting. Other apps I don't even think can do half of that stuff, and they all do it post-shoot regardless even if they can.

I've had cars being edited out of shots I've done as these have moved and weren't caught entirely by the viewfinder with spotless results. I'm really impressed by it.

That's cool. It wasn't clear what was special about their attempt about it. Thanks.

plainr_

FML. FML. FML. So I got my mail as normal today, no package. Checked Delivery Confirmation on USPS site later on and say that it said the Package was delivered. I looked everywhere around the house, nowhere. So I go to the post office to see what the hell is up and they are closed by like 4 minutes. Frustrated, I leave and then get pulled over for speeding (really didn't think I was by as much as he was saying, I was going with the flo of traffic) and get a $114 ticket!

Kill me now. Finally got through their 1800 number and they are setting up an investigation. I don't know if that means jack.

That royally sucks. I hope you get your phone soon.

Not really sure where else to post this, but is there any reason not to upgrade the OS from 5 to 6? On my iPod Touch, by the way. Finally have the opportunity to upgrade it. Aside from the maps fiasco thing, I haven't paid any attention to what else is in the update.

jts

...hate me...
Didn't the iPhone 5 launch in more countries today? I was expecting more activity from international NeoGAFers.
Apple didn't set up online pre-orders for us though, I ordered mine but it has a 3-4 week delivery estimate :(

I could get one directly from Vodafone but it's a 20€ difference from a factory unlocked, so fuck that noise.

At least I think that's one of the reasons. But lots of new happy iPhone owners since this Friday anyway, I'd guess. Me jelly.

NYR

What email?
phil-schiller-email1.jpg

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/25/apple...d-chips-that-is-normal-for-aluminum-products/

This is him basically setting the precedent that Apple expects black iPhone 5's to scuff, and thus, it is "normal". I doubt Apple Store policy would directly contradict the statements of a VP. I'm sure this info has been cascaded down to the stores, and to stop replacing scuffed phones. Just imigine the stock of scuffed phones they have now, I'm sure it is an inventory nightmare too, considering Apple flips their stock so quickly.

phil-schiller-email1.jpg

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/25/apple...d-chips-that-is-normal-for-aluminum-products/

This is him basically setting the precedent that Apple expects black iPhone 5's to scuff, and thus, it is "normal". I doubt Apple Store policy would directly contradict the statements of a VP. I'm sure this info has been cascaded down to the stores, and to stop replacing scuffed phones. Just imigine the stock of scuffed phones they have now, I'm sure it is an inventory nightmare too, considering Apple flips their stock so quickly.

Even if it's scuffed out of the box?

LaneDS

Not really sure where else to post this, but is there any reason not to upgrade the OS from 5 to 6? On my iPod Touch, by the way. Finally have the opportunity to upgrade it. Aside from the maps fiasco thing, I haven't paid any attention to what else is in the update.

Maps disappearing and the YouTube app not being stock are the only negatives I can think of, so you can probably update without issue on a Touch.

I preordered on Sprint's site after the initial preorder window and haven't gotten any notification of when exactly I'd get one, despite paying the full price, so I tried my luck at instore pickup and was able to score one.

I got a black, slate, sucks they're changing the replacement policy.

With all the brouhaha, would people have preferred the cheap plastic frame of a SGS3?

NYR

Even if it's scuffed out of the box?

How would you prove it, though? Seems like a nightmare and a half to convince them. Apple has always been good at providing good support, though, so who knows. I guess you could do the whole "used under 30 minutes" thing to secure a replacement.

Molly Wood (of CNET fame) had her SCREEN scratched to hell a day in and she had a heck of a time getting a replacement.

Went to a Verizon store tonight, the salesman pulled a brand new white phone out of a sealed box so we could look at it. 5 chips/scuffs in the metal band. 2 or 3 of them were definitive chips in the metal, not just paint scratches. I'll wait until/if they get this crap sorted out.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I preordered on Sprint's site after the initial preorder window and haven't gotten any notification of when exactly I'd get one, despite paying the full price, so I tried my luck at instore pickup and was able to score one.

I got a black, slate, sucks they're changing the replacement policy.

With all the brouhaha, would people have preferred the cheap plastic frame of a SGS3?

This right here is why I have a hard time taking sides on the issue. I agree with your point, completely.

It sucks the iPhone 5 scuffs - it's really pretty inexcusable, considering how easily it scratches/scuffs, and because of how Apple spoke so highly of the build quality at the conference and in their marketing video. I have a black iPhone 5, and today I just realized my first scuffs after owning it for a week. It happens, but I can deal. But if this phone looks like shit in four months, I'm going to be extremely disappointed, considering my iPhone, 3GS, and 4S all looked near-new a year after ownership (and used naked).

But on the flip side of that, I hate that my friend keeps bringing it up - it's his go-to "diss" on my new phone. He despises Apple, and he keeps bringing up the scuffs and saying stuff like "where's that 'Apple fit and finish' now?". All the while, he's rocking the plasticy-as-hell Galaxy S2, which feels WAY cheaper than my phone and has plenty of scratches itself.

/rant.

Anyhoo... getting a bit frustrated with my battery. My first day was pretty good; but after calibrating it, I feel like my battery life has dropped day after day. Now it's getting to the point where I'm waking up at 6am and am at 50% by noon - with light browsing/texting, and that's it. It's extremely easy for me to be below the 20% warning by 5pm, with average use.

Tonight, when coming back from the airport, I dropped from 49% to 38% in about 15 minutes, and I was only emailing.

I can't seem to put my finger on what's wrong, but at this rate, there's no way I can get even close to a full day of normal use - and 8 hours of LTE browsing sounds freaking impossible - I'd be lucky to hit 5 straight (with no standby). And GPS? Forget about it! I burn through a percent a minute :(

NYR

Went to a Verizon store tonight, the salesman pulled a brand new white phone out of a sealed box so we could look at it. 5 chips/scuffs in the metal band. 2 or 3 of them were definitive chips in the metal, not just paint scratches. I'll wait until/if they get this crap sorted out.

If you believe rumours and conjecture, you should watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4vpyQIafY&feature=youtu.be

Foxconn worker says current perfect yield (e.g. - no scuffs) is 10 out of every 100 units right now and to wait until October to buy one.

This right here is why I have a hard time taking sides on the issue. I agree with your point, completely.

It sucks the iPhone 5 scuffs - it's really pretty inexcusable, considering how easily it scratches/scuffs, and because of how Apple spoke so highly of the build quality at the conference and in their marketing video. I have a black iPhone 5, and today I just realized my first scuffs after owning it for a week. It happens, but I can deal. But if this phone looks like shit in four months, I'm going to be extremely disappointed, considering my iPhone, 3GS, and 4S all looked near-new a year after ownership (and used naked).

But on the flip side of that, I hate that my friend keeps bringing it up - it's his go-to "diss" on my new phone. He despises Apple, and he keeps bringing up the scuffs and saying stuff like "where's that 'Apple fit and finish' now?". All the while, he's rocking the plasticy-as-hell Galaxy S2, which feels WAY cheaper than my phone and has plenty of scratches itself.

/rant.

Anyhoo... getting a bit frustrated with my battery. My first day was pretty good; but after calibrating it, I feel like my battery life has dropped day after day. Now it's getting to the point where I'm waking up at 6am and am at 50% by noon - with light browsing/texting, and that's it. It's extremely easy for me to be below the 20% warning by 5pm, with average use.

Tonight, when coming back from the airport, I dropped from 49% to 38% in about 15 minutes, and I was only emailing.

I can't seem to put my finger on what's wrong, but at this rate, there's no way I can get even close to a full day of normal use - and 8 hours of LTE browsing sounds freaking impossible - I'd be lucky to hit 5 straight (with no standby). And GPS? Forget about it! I burn through a percent a minute :(
You can touch up scuffs easily. Black is an easy color to cover up with a black marker. And they make special markers for covering scratches on metal meant to be black.

the music player has a new look, so if youre used to and like the current one, theres one reason.

i didnt like it at first but its growing on me

My iPhone 5 was flawlessly scuff free right out of the box.

But yesterday I stuck it in my back pocket of my Levi's that have zippers. The metal zipper is apparently exposed inside of the pocket a little bit and was enough to chip the metal banding in one spot.

The phone still functions just fine though. ;)

I guess with the expensive Geek Squad service I am paying for I will eventually swap it out for a new phone, when other scuffs and damage show up.

Just had two black iphone 5s shipped to my house today and one was dead on arrival (sim card was not being read) and the other one had a chip on the side. Went to the Apple Store and said they can't replace the dead one so only option is to return and wait until iphone 5 is more readily available. The phone with the chip I can have exchanged at the Genius Bar tomorrow. He said it would be a new replacement, it's just the phone is not coming out of a box brand new.

This is going to be my wife and I's first iphones, had the Droid before. Should I be weary about getting the chipped phone replaced at the Genius Bar tomorrow? Are they really brand new or are they refurbished phones? If they are truly new, then I wouldn't mind replacing it.

This really sucks... been looking forward to getting these phones for a week now and when it finally comes, one is practically dead and another has a blemish.

bionic77

I like the phone a lot more than I thought I would. Pictures do it no justice.

Speaking of the new headphones the most impressive part of them is the packaging. They are better than the old ones but I still need to jam them in my ears for them to stay in. Maybe I have weird shaped earholes. Sound quality is noticeably better though and they are definitely much louder as well.

NYR

Very interesting. But why would quality improve when they start mass manufacturing? Isn't mass manufacturing what they do when the phone first comes out?
Maybe they rushed it to sell as many as possible out of the gate while working on improving things...who knows.

I don't know if this is a Verizon problem (my carrier) or a iPhone 5 problem but at times I'm connected to LTE and it says I don't have an internet connection. The workaround is to turn off the iPhone and then turn it back on. When it reconnects to LTE, the apps/browser are able to use the internet.
Thankfully the iPhone 5 is very fast to reboot.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably a bit of both. From rumors I've heard, there's a firmware "unlock" that allows the CMOS sensor to shoot the higher ISOs, and additional software processing to combat the increased noise inherent in low-light photography.

ISO is just a measurement of the "speed" (actually the sensitivity to light) of film from the old days of film photography; a linear carryover from the preceding ASA measuring scale. In ISO terms, every time you double the number, that represents a doubling of the "speed" of the film. For instance, ISO 800 film is twice as "fast" as ISO 400 film, meaning you need half the available light to capture relatively the same image.

Now this scale has been adapted to measure the relative "speed" of a photo chip (in this case, a CMOS chip) so that photographers who actually know about the technical aspects of photography have a point of comparison from analog film to digital photography.

Film or Digital, shooting high ISOs in low light always has consequences though. In film, shooting higher speed film, or even using a technique called "pushing" a film to higher than recommended range (by purposefully underexposing the film but overdeveloping it in the darkroom) came with the baggage of grainier images, and usually some color shift in color film, or a steeper contrast curve in B&W. In digital, shooting low light generally results in higher levels of what we generally call "noise."

Rumors abound that the iPhone 5 is using some tricks unlocked by new firmware to get at these higher ISOs. Some are saying the firmware can actually tell the individual photosites on the CMOS chip (that's the little areas that actually "capture" the photons and turn them into data) to group themselves so they mimic a chip with larger photosites.

I'm not sure if this rumor has been proven yet, but it has been done before, and seems plausible. I don't doubt there's something going on with the firmware.

The additional noise reduction processing I mentioned was confirmed to me by someone who should know. Whether this is done purely in software, somewhere in hardware, or whatever, who knows. (And who really cares, as long as it works.)

EDIT: Oh, I see that Shiller actually mentioned the latter at the keynote. That's cool. I got my info about the noise reduction from someone else at Apple. I'm glad to know I didn't reveal a secret. And from reading that, it looks like the noise reduction is all done in hardware on the A6, or at least made possible by it's boost in power.
Hey thanks for the great response! Only just reading it now.

Pachimari

Didn't the iPhone 5 launch in more countries today? I was expecting more activity from international NeoGAFers.
I bought one at launch yesterday and posted impressions. It really sucks they moved the screen down so its harder to text and now I'm getting cramps holding it compared to iPhone 4.

How would you prove it, though? Seems like a nightmare and a half to convince them. Apple has always been good at providing good support, though, so who knows. I guess you could do the whole "used under 30 minutes" thing to secure a replacement.

Molly Wood (of CNET fame) had her SCREEN scratched to hell a day in and she had a heck of a time getting a replacement.

Both times I got my iPhone, it was in store and they opened the box in front of me. Would they refuse to exchange for a different one right then and there?

snack

I had my appointment with an Apple Genius today regarding my iPhone. Ended up being able to swap my phone because of overheating and battery issues. But the Apple Store didn't have stock at that time so they're gonna have to ship one over to their store for me to pickup. Does anyone know if the phone that I'll be getting will be a refurbished iPhone 5 or a brand new one? Thanks.

I had my appointment with an Apple Genius today regarding my iPhone. Ended up being able to swap my phone because of overheating and battery issues. But the Apple Store didn't have stock at that time so they're gonna have to ship one over to their store for me to pickup. Does anyone know if the phone that I'll be getting will be a refurbished iPhone 5 or a brand new one? Thanks.

Probably a refurb, but does it matter?

Pachimari

How come WiFi Internet is is spotty on my iPhone compared to iPhone 4? Too many times it can't load websites in Safari and I have to wait until it can. =/

Marco1

Love this phone so much. I can never see myself getting bored with the design.
I can't fault it one bit and the phone since the 2G that I've gone caseless.

Ty4on

How come WiFi Internet is is spotty on my iPhone compared to iPhone 4? Too many times it can't load websites in Safari and I have to wait until it can. =/

The old iPhone had a much slower CPU, less RAM and on top of that the antenna was at the bottom. The reason the 3G and 3GS had plastic backs was because the first gen iPhone had very poor reception.

My first gen iPod Touch loves to hang up and some internet pages just flat out crash (RAM full maybe). It's kinda funny because the iPhone was one of the fastest phones on the marked in 2007, there were big Nokias for pro users that used a lot of time loading your inbox (SMS) because their OS was so bloated and CPU/RAM so slow.

Pachimari

It launched in 2007, I think you can't expect too much in terms of speed.

;)
Haha, I see now. =p

The old iPhone had a much slower CPU, less RAM and on top of that the antenna was at the bottom. The reason the 3G and 3GS had plastic backs was because the first gen iPhone had very poor reception.

My first gen iPod Touch loves to hang up and some internet pages just flat out crash (RAM full maybe). It's kinda funny because the iPhone was one of the fastest phones on the marked in 2007, there were big Nokias for pro users that used a lot of time loading your inbox (SMS) because their OS was so bloated and CPU/RAM so slow.
I meant iPhone 5.

Why is my WiFi on my iPhone 5 spotty compared to iPhone 4 and even our iPhone 4S? Too often it won't load web pages.

Also, I can't flag mails if I'm doing gmails through Exchange in the Mail app? =/

Btw, who are going naked? I think I am.

Was talking to my friend just now and everything was going alright then after 2-3 minutes he started sounding muffled on my iPhone 5. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Marco1

Was talking to my friend just now and everything was going alright then after 2-3 minutes he started sounding muffled on my iPhone 5. Anyone else had this happen to them?

Did you ask him to take the cottonwool out of his mouth?
Joke aside it could have been a network issue.

CrankyJay

Banned
phil-schiller-email1.jpg

What a crock of shit. Why not just ship it with a silver band then so it doesn't look shitty?

Top Bottom