• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

DrEvil

not a medical professional
For those with battery issues: let it cycle a few times, full to empty. The battery calibrates itself much better and faster when you do this... My battery life has improved drastically over the last week.

sangreal

Anyone else on Verizon? Can you post your 3G speed for comparison? Can you download apps fine?

Well I already posted one for you yesterday, but here you go!

lcrl3.jpg
Not much has changed

Roody

Neo Member
So, I have a phone upgrade available, and I'm on Verizon. Hopefully this is the right place to ask two questions:

1. Does this phone upgrade apply to the iPhone 5? Or how does it affect my purchase, if at all?

2. What's the best way to get one now? I'm a little confused since everything is sold out... I need to pre-order it on the Apple site at a certain time?

Thanks!

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Does anyone know how early upgrading works? I'm on sprint and have about a year and a half lefted on my 2 year contract. I currently have the 16g 4s.

What am I going to have to pay to upgrade to the iphone 5?

sangreal

So, I have a phone upgrade available, and I'm on Verizon. Hopefully this is the right place to ask two questions:

1. Does this phone upgrade apply to the iPhone 5? Or how does it affect my purchase, if at all?

Yes, but if you have an unlimited plan you will be forced to lose it if you use the upgrade to get a subsidized phone. The upgrade affects the purchase by making the price $199+ instead of $649+ and in exchange your contract is extended 2 years

2. What's the best way to get one now? I'm a little confused since everything is sold out... I need to pre-order it on the Apple site at a certain time?

Thanks!

Call your local Verizon stores, they might have some stock. Otherwise yeah, you can try to reserve one at midnight from the Apple site or just order one from Verizon but it will probably take a week or three for delivery.

Roody

Neo Member
Yes, but if you have an unlimited plan you will be forced to lose it if you use the upgrade to get a subsidized phone. The upgrade affects the purchase by making the price $199+ instead of $649+ and in exchange your contract is extended 2 years

Call your local Verizon stores, they might have some stock. Otherwise yeah, you can try to reserve one at midnight from the Apple site or just order one from Verizon but it will probably take a week or three for delivery.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the info! Is it every night at midnight that Apple puts them up for preorder? Or only certain nights?

mrkgoo

I've decided that when I get my iPhone 5, I'm not going to restore it, I'm going to start fresh. Like a clean install.

What do I stand to lose besides app data and messages? I use iCloud, so contacts and other synced data would presumably transfer.

Blackhead

Redarse
Did my first full battery drain, here are the numbers:

33arwj7.jpg
OMG, our Android fandroid overloads are censoring the iPhone battery tests. OccupyGAF

Im still yet to reach 6 hrs of usage time even after turning off a few services :(

I've decided that when I get my iPhone 5, I'm not going to restore it, I'm going to start fresh. Like a clean install.

What do I stand to lose besides app data and messages? I use iCloud, so contacts and other synced data would presumably transfer.
Call history, saved wifi passwords

Pachimari

I started fresh on my iPhone 5 too. :)
Feels good.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

In what way is that a fresh install, and in what way would that differ from keeping app data in the cloud as well? :)

mrkgoo

OMG, our Android fandroid overloads are censoring the iPhone battery tests. OccupyGAF

Im still yet to reach 6 hrs of usage time even after turning off a few services :(

Call history, saved wifi passwords

Wifi passwords don't bother me, so that' s ok. Call history.....hmmmm..... Meh, my message history is probably more important, but I'm willing to let that go.

Like anasatacio said, I'm looking forward to the freshness!

Funny, because ironically, where it probably actually matters, I've never done a clean install when upgrading mac OS x.

Anyone have any idea when carriers might get more I5? Calling around to the local Sprint stores, and no one has an ETA.

I was hoping to go in person to pick one up and close down my account and transfer my number to a family plan, but it looks like I will have to do that 1st and then preorder?

mrkgoo

In what way is that a fresh install, and in what way would that differ from keeping app data in the cloud as well? :)

Fresh install, sync back contacts and calendar from iCloud.

I just want a fresh install and not restore settings from an age old phone, who knows how deprecated my settings and caches are.

Just the actual data from those stuff will be fine.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from an iPhone 3G. I'm sure there are obsolete entries in plist and stuff like that, so I want to just start from the beginning with the system.

Most of my apps won't have could data, since I never had iCloud on my phone. Hck, I didn't even have game centre.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Fresh install, sync back contacts and calendar from iCloud.

I just want a fresh install and not restore settings from an age old phone, who knows how deprecated my settings and caches are.

Just the actual data from those stuff will be fine.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from an iPhone 3G. I'm sure there are obsolete entries in plist and stuff like that, so I want to just start from the beginning with the system.

Most of my apps won't have could data, since I never had iCloud on my phone. Hck, I didn't even have game centre.

Fair enough. :)

Vyer

For those with battery issues: let it cycle a few times, full to empty. The battery calibrates itself much better and faster when you do this... My battery life has improved drastically over the last week.

Yeah, that might be the case. My first test got me 7 1/2 hours usage. My second was almost 8 1/2.

sangreal

is there a way to sync only your existing contacts with Facebook like on android? I can hide the facebook contacts on some screens, but they still show up in spotlight and confuse Siri

I don't really want to disable Facebook syncing entirely

is there a way to sync only your existing contacts with Facebook like on android? I can hide the facebook contacts on some screens, but they still show up in spotlight and confuse Siri

The Facebook app used to let you sync contacts that you already had on your phone, not sure if the feature is still there anymore though.

giga

What do you mean sync existing contacts? Like update your contacts information with fb data?

You can tap "update all contacts"…

Yeah, but the problem with that is that you end up getting every contact from your Facebook account which often times includes a ton of junk.

Edit:

Wait, nevermind looking at the description of what it does maybe this isn't the case. Where the hell are all my contacts coming from then?

sangreal

What do you mean sync existing contacts? Like update your contacts information with fb data?

Yeah, without downloading all of your other facebook contacts. There is a button in the settings that partially does this ("Update All Contacts"), but it can't match most of my contacts (even though I manually linked them all to Facebook)

I really just want the pictures of my contacts to stay in sync with their Facebook photos

mrkgoo

The Camera+ devs posted a pretty great camera comparison (OG through to 5), to think one used to live with that very first camera. :p

http://campl.us/posts/6iPhoneCameras

The skyline pic is telling, but the macro shots are worthless Pre-iPhone 4. I mean, they're using the camera out of spec - OS role cameras were fixed focus. They're comparing an out of focus shot with one in focus - guess which one wins?

They should just leave them blank saying 'no closeup capability', and concentrate on shots that actually have valid comparisons, like the skyline one.

I can't get over how much more crisp the screen is than the 3gs. Its' like going from standard definition to HD, no joke. I didn't think it would be that dramatic but man.

Kibbles

FML. FML. FML. So I got my mail as normal today, no package. Checked Delivery Confirmation on USPS site later on and say that it said the Package was delivered. I looked everywhere around the house, nowhere. So I go to the post office to see what the hell is up and they are closed by like 4 minutes. Frustrated, I leave and then get pulled over for speeding (really didn't think I was by as much as he was saying, I was going with the flo of traffic) and get a $114 ticket!

Kill me now. Finally got through their 1800 number and they are setting up an investigation. I don't know if that means jack.

Alright. So I restored my phone as new to hopefully resolve the flonky battery life issues.

But now when I try to search all my apps in the app store I get no results. Anyone else getting blank results? Is this just me? It was fine 15 minutes ago even after the restore.

speaking of -- is Camera+ considered better than the stock app?

Camera+ is like if you took the stock app, iPhoto, and Instagram and rolled them into one. It has a metric fuckton of filters, it can crop and rotate and red-eye and frame, lighting correction, color correction, pretty sure you can do haze-effects and blurring to make things look tilt-shifted, you can even export TO Instagram.

The editing isn't quite as powerful as say, SnapSeed, and you can't do panoramic shots (yet?) but it's pretty righteous.

speaking of -- is Camera+ considered better than the stock app?

Camera+ is great, but having access to the camera via the lock screen means the default cam is what I'll continue to use.

There are other considerations at the moment too like panorama, and the low-light functionality of the iP5 haven't been integrated into third party apps yet.

Kaladin

This is my first panorama photo:

My desk at work:
60657_10100271645702093_2042380687_n.jpg

I used the full width of the bar to take that picture and it looks fairly good.

Ugh

Pretty sure I'm never going to go back to Radio Shack again. I've learned to never buy anything from there especially if the line is going to be converted to a corporate line. I wanted to exchange my phone but since my company is already on the account they won't touch it because it is a corporate account now.

What a hassle, so pissed.

Ugh

Pretty sure I'm never going to go back to Radio Shack again. I've learned to never buy anything from there especially if the line is going to be converted to a corporate line. I wanted to exchange my phone but since my company is already on the account they won't touch it because it is a corporate account now.

What a hassle, so pissed.

Yea. Radioshack is just a bad place to shop. Saw tons of people screwed over trying to get iPhone 4 there when it launched.

And they're overpriced for the "little" things I'd stop by for such as compressed cans of air or wires, sd cards...etc

Yea. Radioshack is just a bad place to shop. Saw tons of people screwed over trying to get iPhone 4 there when it launched.

And they're overpriced for the "little" things I'd stop by for such as compressed cans of air or wires, sd cards...etc

Yea, never again. I have another friend looking for a white iPhone so I am wondering if its a feasible option for him to get a black and switch it and be done with it. Or I could just deal with it, be happy I have one and get a black 5S next year.

ReconPeon

So I finally got my white iPhone 5, and of course the entire phone is flawless except a single very noticeable chip in the bottom right corner. I have an appointment at the apple store tomorrow. Has anyone had success getting theirs replaced?

iamcenok

Well I've been calling best buys almost daily and no luck. Decided to just order a 32gig off apple.com

This month long wait is going to suck.
Especially when my Evo4G keeps getting worse.

NYR

Well I've been calling best buys almost daily and no luck. Decided to just order a 32gig off apple.com

This month long wait is going to suck.
Especially when my Evo4G keeps getting worse.

Why don't you use the in-store reservation system??

Top Bottom