• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Pachimari

I don't have 4G LTE until November on my carrier but is it possible to turn on/off 4G and 3G individually or will it just automatically search for 4G and if it's not there reduce it to 3G?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You're still connected to the cell network, though.

Yeah, but I'm not actually using it for anything other than the occasional text. Nearly that whole hour of use was internet browsing and downloading a couple apps.

Yep, taxes and fees are the name of the game. It's totally bonkers.

My family has two iPhones (one unlimited, one 2GB), and a dumphone (no data) - and we share 700 minutes (lowest choice) and unlimited texts. With a FAN discount, the bill is about $180/month. It's just absurd. Like.... it's really a massive expense that just didn't exist ten years ago.

$180 a month for TWO iPhones plus a dumb phone doesn't sound bad when I'm paying $140-$165 (not sure what my "real" bill will be after the first month) for just ONE iPhone.

You pay 60 bucks for 2gb data?

Yup. Verizon.

daw840

This phone is really cool, I don't really know what to do with it though as it's my first iPhone.....seems like I need to find some more cool shit. It definitely shits all over my old Evo 4g

Anyone have any good links for a cool wallpaper?

Pachimari

I was having issues too the 1st day. I read on one of the forums that if you were having problem you could try turning on the HTTP Proxy to Auto
Lb8kH.jpg

It's been perfect since, give it a shot maybe.
I can't seem to find this. I have looked in WiFi and Cellular. I have seen it before, I just can't remember where.

I'm in love with this damn phone. Best phone I've ever had by far. I came from an iPhone 4 and this thing just blows it away. Soooo much faster. I wasn't expecting this much of a difference.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
$180 a month for TWO iPhones plus a dumb phone doesn't sound bad when I'm paying $140-$165 (not sure what my "real" bill will be after the first month) for just ONE iPhone.

No, I agree, in comparison it's not that awful; but my overarching point was that smartphone ownership costs way more than it should. I mean, I think about it this way - prior to the iPhone in 2007 my mom had a dumphone with minutes she'd never ever need (lowest was like 300, but with free nights and weekends), and 500 texts (which costs the carrier nearly nothing)... .... ... for like $35/month after taxes. Now you're looking at nearly $100 more per month, or $2,400 extra over the life of a contract because you get a small data cap that isn't enough in the first place. And the phone is $200 up front instead of free.

I couldn't (or at least, wouldn't want to) live without my iPhone. I use it for work, for keeping in touch with friends and family when on the road (for work or personal time), and to keep an eye on the internet as it's my main news source; and of course for games. So, they've got me. I'm gonna pay their fees regardless. Just kind of sucks. I especially feel bad for the family of four with two teenagers who want iPhones because "all their friends have one." You're looking at a $350 bill every month. Ridiculous.

/rant

Ohhh, sorry. I thought you were talking about the standby time.

No problem. Standby has been okay so long as service strength is good.

This phone is really cool, I don't really know what to do with it though as it's my first iPhone.....seems like I need to find some more cool shit. It definitely shits all over my old Evo 4g

Anyone have any good links for a cool wallpaper?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1434153

Cloudy

Banned
I think we need a easy way to close all apps in iOS. I've noticed that some of these bigger apps won't launch if you have too much stuff open.

PS. Here's my battery life. Most of this with wifi connected but I used Netflix and streamed radio for several hours. I'm pretty satisfied with 10+ hours of use :p

http://postimage.org/image/ms0jluwqx/

Blackhead

Redarse
No, I agree, in comparison it's not that awful; but my overarching point was that smartphone ownership costs way more than it should. I mean, I think about it this way - prior to the iPhone in 2007 my mom had a dumphone with minutes she'd never ever need (lowest was like 300, but with free nights and weekends), and 500 texts (which costs the carrier nearly nothing)... .... ... for like $35/month after taxes. Now you're looking at nearly $100 more per month, or $2,400 extra over the life of a contract because you get a small data cap that isn't enough in the first place. And the phone is $200 up front instead of free.

I couldn't (or at least, wouldn't want to) live without my iPhone. I use it for work, for keeping in touch with friends and family when on the road (for work or personal time), and to keep an eye on the internet as it's my main news source; and of course for games. So, they've got me. I'm gonna pay their fees regardless. Just kind of sucks. I especially feel bad for the family of four with two teenagers who want iPhones because "all their friends have one." You're looking at a $350 bill every month. Ridiculous.

/rant
boo hoo. You don't have to pay $135 per month if you don't want to. Buy your iPhone without the carrier subsidy and shop around for the much cheaper plans.

dorkimoe

Got this $15 cheap case from Amazon until something super nice/high quality comes out. Will follow thread for suggestions, but this will probably be fine for a month or so. Fits perfectly, just feels a bit light/cheap. I got a clear plastic case from amazon (not pictured) and it's total shit, doesn't even fit right. I don't recommend the sub $10 cases.

Still feels thinner than my naked 4S

link? i like that

boo hoo. You don't have to pay $135 per month if you don't want to. Buy your iPhone without the carrier subsidy and shop around for the much cheaper plans.

I don't think he's crying, but I agree with him.
I won't pretend to know how much it actually costs to run a cellular data network, and they are a business and deserve to profit.
However the jump from dumb phone to smart phone is pretty big. $2000 plus per year for a phone? Yes it has internet on-the-go, but that still seems like quite the premium.

How much are the phones out of contract anyway? Like $500 or so? That seems worth it to go that route.

AngryMoth

God fucking dammit. Out running this evening and accidentally dropped it whilst trying to put it back in my pocket after checking the time. Got some nasty scuffs on the bottom edge of the front. I'm usually so careful with stuff like this D':

Vyer

God fucking dammit. Out running this evening and accidentally dropped it whilst trying to put it back in my pocket after checking the time. Got some nasty scuffs on the bottom edge of the front. I'm usually so careful with stuff like this D':

no case?

Kibbles

Welp, postmaster said the package was delievered somewhere across town based off the scanner code. He said they are looking into it and will get back to me on Monday. WTF are they going to do though, it's not like they can go snatch the package back to wherever they delivered it. He says the sticker from another address might've caught onto it. :S Hopefully whoever got it sees it's supposed to be for me and is decent enough to either give it back to the carrier or bring it over.

In the same boat as several others in here. This is my first smartphone ever, coming from a simple flip phone. Love this thing so far. Feels like I jumped of the deep end.

Is anybody using Onavo Extend? Coworker told me it saves him on his data considerably, But I'm not sure how it works.

And now, onto the important stuff: finding cool games

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't think he's crying, but I agree with him.
I won't pretend to know how much it actually costs to run a cellular data network, and they are a business and deserve to profit.
However the jump from dumb phone to smart phone is pretty big. $2000 plus per year for a phone? Yes it has internet on-the-go, but that still seems like quite the premium.

How much are the phones out of contract anyway? Like $500 or so? That seems worth it to go that route.
I agree, the big carriers are price gouging. There are much cheaper deals though if you look around. That's why it's best to buy an unlocked phone (apple isn't helping here by only selling subsidized)

Smokey

So I could go and get the phone from sprint for 200 with 2 year plan and pay $80 a month (what I pay now), or buy the phone for $500 and then get on a plan?

What makes the latter option better?

KtSlime

I agree, the big carriers are price gouging. There are much cheaper deals though if you look around. That's why it's best to buy an unlocked phone (apple isn't helping here by only selling subsidized)

This is pretty dependent on where one lives. Sometimes, the only way you can get service is by going through one of the big 3. Often, some rural areas are only covered by one, and your lucky if they offer anything over Edge. No reason to boo hoo someone because of our government's inability to keep telecom companies honest.

noah111

Still Alive
Tell your story to the dedicated people who believe no Apple product should go in a case. You get what's coming to you.
I would never miss a pocket. :lol Or even be running with it in my pocket to begin with. ;p I do have a case on my 4, though, but it only covers the back and not the sides at all.

But that sucks, how much would it cost (if anything?) for Apple to replace it?

G-Fex

thinking of getting one, it'd be my first Iphone. That or a 4.

Trading up my pretty damn old samsung transform, hell it was old when I got it years ago.

Vyer

No I'm stubborn because I never usually drop my phones. Serves me right

Ouch. Naked Phone GAF is struck another blow.

So I could go and get the phone from sprint for 200 with 2 year plan and pay $80 a month (what I pay now), or buy the phone for $500 and then get on a plan?

What makes the latter option better?

I don't know that there's much benefit in that instance; some people have good data plans that they don't want to lose under a new contract I guess.

Didn't had time to add songs on iTunes so I uploaded them online and left home. 15 min later when upload was done, I downloaded them over LTE. 2 minutes for 240MB file. That's 2MB/sec.

Love technology!!

noah111

Still Alive
Bumpers on phones are about as natural as life jackets on people. Good for you.
+1,

taking it off after weeks or months of use and you'll question yourself as to why you've been using it this entire time non-intermitently. I'm all for the right case on the right occasion, but otherwise, dat nakedness feel >>> .

border

This is pretty dependent on where one lives. Sometimes, the only way you can get service is by going through one of the big 3. Often, some rural areas are only covered by one, and your lucky if they offer anything over Edge. No reason to boo hoo someone because of our government's inability to keep telecom companies honest.

75% of prepaid carriers are running off of one of the big telecom networks (most likely Sprint or AT&T). It's not that hard to get away from $100/month bills if you're willing to do even a little bit of research.

People's reliance on these carriers has more to do with the fact that people want a "free" phone (or a $650 phone for $200) than it does rural areas or poor government regulation. Nobody wants to deal with the up-front cost of the handset -- they would rather pay more over 2 years than they would pay for the full price of the phone. The only thing that's going to break us out of this model is when people don't feel the need to upgrade their phone every other year.....but the carriers and Apple are doing little to encourage that.

ckohler

Is anyone selling a good, white Apple style bumper (since Apple isn't)?

All I've seen so far are those cases with clear backs. I don't want a case with any back. Just a bumper.

Mairu

75% of prepaid carriers are running off of one of the big telecom networks (most likely Sprint or AT&T). It's not that hard to get away from $100/month bills if you're willing to do even a little bit of research.

People's reliance on these carriers has more to do with the fact that people want a "free" phone (or a $650 phone for $200) than it does rural areas or poor government regulation. Nobody wants to deal with the up-front cost of the handset -- they would rather pay more over 2 years than they would pay for the full price of the phone. The only thing that's going to break us out of this model is when people don't feel the need to upgrade their phone every other year.....but the carriers and Apple are doing little to encourage that.

Where can I get cheaper LTE w/iPhone 5 in the bay area :(

ReconPeon

I just brought my scuffed iPhone 5 to the apple store and they swapped it without a second glance. Didn't even buy it from them. Now I have a flawless white iPhone 5 :)

Top Bottom