• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Haribo

Banned
British person here, toodly-pip GAF. I'm going on holiday to Manhatten (first time) in November for ten days, do the carriers do a pay-as-you go style nano-SIM with LTE just for data, or does free WiFi cover the area in the same way central London is? The iPhone 5 I have is a GSM model which I believe rules out Verizon.

lupinko

British person here, toodly-pip GAF. I'm going on holiday to Manhatten (first time) in November for ten days, do the carriers do a pay-as-you go style nano-SIM with LTE just for data, or does free WiFi cover the area in the same way central London is? The iPhone 5 I have is a GSM model which I believe rules out Verizon.

Assuming your iPhone 5 was bought in the UK, you won't be able to use LTE in the US as North America is on a separate LTE band than the rest of the world.

I will face this next year when I go back to Japan. =x

MasLegio

Banned
Hey guys, loving my phone so far, but having 2 major problems:

1. When I make phone calls, while talking on the phone, the phone will continuously make small vibrations throughout the entire call. I don't know if I'm just holding it wrong, but I've used smartphone (including my GF's iPhone 4) and it didn't do this. It's very annoying.
  2. People have been telling me my voice is washed out or sounds very muted/muffled during calls. Making a mock voicemail recording sounds fine, but almost everyone I've talked to has had trouble hearing me at normal levels.

Should I take it into the store? I love the phone to death but these issues are killing me as basically it doesn't perform its #1 function correctly (being a phone)

If I do decide to return it for a replacement, what and where do I need/go? I got it from the Verizon store, can I take it to an apple store? Which one would be more helpful? Do I need proof of purchase? (as its obviously still within 30 days of the purchase date)

If anyone could help me out I'd GREATLY appreciate it! Otherwise, it's phone heaven. Best phone I've ever owned.

How is your hearing?
I know of several people with hearing problems that sometimes have had phone set to speaker without noticing it.
Are you sure you are not using speaker phone?
Maybe it somehow automatically switches to speaker phone without you knowing.

Pachimari

I need to order some iPhone 5 accessories today, especially a case, so that it'll be protected (yup, I don't think I'm going naked with it scratching easily - further down the line, I will).

01) Which is the best case for iPhone 5 right now (preferably in stock at Amazon)?

02) Are there any Vent Mount car holders and car chargers?

On another note, when I connect my bluetooth headset to my iPhone 5 will it use less power as it has bluetooth 4.0 compared to iPhone 4? Also, will I be able to use my existing car charger for iPhone 4 with my iPhone 5 through the 30pin -> Lightning adapter?

Oh I'm freaking out here!

Just got iPhone 5 Black 16G ( yay! )..... but it seems like all my contact numbers are on the old sim card ( duh! )...... so the question here is I know about an App that backup your contact numbers and send them to your e-mail, then you can download them again from it..... any idea of the name of that app? or any other app to back up my contact numbers?

How can I get my contact numbers back :( ?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh I'm freaking out here!

Just got iPhone 5 Black 16G ( yay! )..... but it seems like all my contact numbers are on the old sim card ( duh! )...... so the question here is I know about an App that backup your contact numbers and send them to your e-mail, then you can download them again from it..... any idea of the name of that app? or any other app to back up my contact numbers?

How can I get my contact numbers back :( ?

Was your previous phone an iPhone or are you coming from non-iPhone territory?

iPhones have the option to import sim contacts. IF your prior phone was one then go to “Settings” -> “Mail, Contacts, Calendar”, you can find an option called “Import SIM Contacts”. Then tap on it and iPhone will import all SIM contacts to your contacts list.

After that I suppose you could upload them to iCloud and sync them to your new phone that way.

Or just re-enter them via iCloud.com and they'll sync to your iPhone 5 that way.

Was your previous phone an iPhone or are you coming from non-iPhone territory?

iPhones have the option to import sim contacts. IF your prior phone was one then go to “Settings” -> “Mail, Contacts, Calendar”, you can find an option called “Import SIM Contacts”. Then tap on it and iPhone will import all SIM contacts to your contacts list.

After that I suppose you could upload them to iCloud and sync them to your new phone that way.

Or just re-enter them via iCloud.com and they'll sync to your iPhone 5 that way.

I came from iPhone 4..... anyway what do you know!!! they are all here in the iCloud.com :D

but I have no idea how to connect my iPhone 5 to sync them right back to my new phone...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I came from iPhone 4..... anyway what do you know!!! they are all here in the iCloud.com :D

but I have no idea how to connect my iPhone 5 to sync them right back to my new phone...

Signing in with your Apple ID on your iPhone 5 under iCloud and enabling Contacts should do it. Should ask if you want to replace the contacts on your phone with the ones in the cloud.

As far as carriers and their rates go...

I mean, I get that they're not a fucking charity. They're here to make money. And they DO make money, hand over fist. But at the end of the day as a consumer as a user they simply aren't offering enough to satify my needs at an acceptable price.

My top complaints is with how they handle data and what they charge for it. I don't need to torrent 50gb a month but at the same time I'm paying for tethering (which I gladly gave up my throttled unlimited plan for) and am paying 50 bucks per month for 5gb. After that it's 10 dollar per gb. I think that's insane. Especially considering most people that have those type of plans are paying upwards of 100 a month. Still not enough? Back in the day it was voice that everyone focused on but now it's all about data.

My balls ache for a reasonably priced data plan. That lets me use my data and not worry about paying 50 extra bucks a month because I streamed too much Crunchyroll or Hulu. Or decided to stream too much radio. I don't mind paying for what I use. That's life. But it should be reasonable. I'd blow a goat for rollover data. Use 2gb last month? Roll my remaining 3gb over to the next month.

Once LTE becomes ubiquitous people are going to start to really churn through data and they'll be doing more than checking email and posting the occasional picture to facebook. They'll be streaming movies and music and managing their cloud storage and tether to laptops which perform just as fast as their home networks...because they can. Because that's what the technology will allow and that's where things are rapidly heading.

There are a few options but like you said, very limited.

T-Mobile has unlimited everything at $50 a month 4G. They throttle after 5Gb but no restrictions on tethering I believe.

If you don't use too many minutes (like me), they have a $30 per month plan with unlimited data and text and 100 minutes voice. (I use free VOIP for outgoing to cover for any overage minutes. Works pretty well.).

Drawback is that coverage is not as wide as AT&T and Verizon.

Benefit is that I save about $500 per year over the cheapest ATT plan.

Blackhead

Redarse
The Xperia Ray is the perfect size and fits in your pocket unlike that huge iPhone.

jynZZsQP4KaDt.jpeg

Well what do you know, I tried out the iPhone5 in a pair of skinny jeans:
:O that thinness! I'd get an iPhone5 as a backup phone (when they are available unlocked for cheap). That said, I'd gladly trade thinness for a bigger battery:
:( I'm going to exchange it.

X-Frame

I just put my BSE skins on the back and sides of my iPhone 5, and I also put it on the front but I am unsure if I want to keep it on.

The glass display is very scratch-resistant correct? Since using it this whole time without a front skin using the phone felt so good with the smooth glass and looked amazing. Adding a skin on it .. even to be extra careful about scratches -- I don't know.

Any advice?

LCfiner

I just put my BSE skins on the back and sides of my iPhone 5, and I also put it on the front but I am unsure if I want to keep it on.

The glass display is very scratch-resistant correct? Since using it this whole time without a front skin using the phone felt so good with the smooth glass and looked amazing. Adding a skin on it .. even to be extra careful about scratches -- I don't know.

Any advice?

Yes it is. Personally I would not put a screen protector on the front glass. It never feels right under your finger and the glass is very hard as is.

bionic77

Well what do you know, I tried out the iPhone5 in a pair of skinny jeans:

:O that thinness! I'd get an iPhone5 as a backup phone (when they are available unlocked for cheap). That said, I'd gladly trade thinness for a bigger battery:

:( I'm going to exchange it.
Did you try turning off LTE?

You may have no LTE or bad reception leading to shit battery life.

I am not sure the battery is as good as the 4 was at launch but it is better than the S and noticeably faster as well. Feels so good in your hands too! Apple nailed it.

AEREC

Taking my ip5 back to an apple store today. My home button is erratic, sometimes it doesn't respond after 10 or so presses, other times single click will open up the background applications, etc...

Also today for some reason the camera flash is out of sync with the picture, so I always end up with dark pics with flash on.

Hopefully they will have a spare black 64GB today when I go.

happens every day.

Shut up or produce details.

I already did....

An AT&T rep lied to me. I went to buy the iPhone 5 today at an AT&T store today, and they were sold out. They said they would have more on Monday. I said I'd come back then, but the rep told me to order one to the store. She said it would ship within 24 hours so I could expect it by Tuesday/Wednesday. Ordering sounded better since I could make sure I got it instead of hoping I beat everybody else. I get home and have an email saying my order wont ship for another 2-3 weeks. I don't think this is a simple mistake since the rep specifically said "24 hours". She didn't say it would come soon or in a few days. She talked as if it were an exact policy of 24 hours. Now I am being told I cannot get one of the iPhones coming in on Monday, even though I've already paid mine. This is absurd. I'm going to try and raise hell on Monday about this at the store and hope something gets done about it.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
If you use Dolphin browser I don't suggest installing the update. The additional screen real estate is wasted:

6F515EAD-9888-40EC-908F-266A337384F8-320-00000027E0AB1205.jpg

Homeboyd

I already did....
Rep told me the same thing but they said as long as my online order hadn't actually shipped, I could come in and pick one up in the store and they would cancel my online order.

Mine ended up shipping the next day so I didn't have to worry about it, but you should definitely be able to do this.

Rep told me the same thing but they said as long as my online order hadn't actually shipped, I could come in and pick one up in the store and they would cancel my online order.

Mine ended up shipping the next day so I didn't have to worry about it, but you should definitely be able to do this.

That sounds like a good solution. If it ends up shipping by the time the iPhones come in, I won't mind waiting a few days. I'll be back at the store in an hour and tell them about this if they don't bring it up themselves.

My eyes were opened tonight as to how different AT&T's service is in different parts of the U.S.

I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and normally my 3G tests out at about 3mb download and .5 upload. I'm in a populated area, where you'd expect AT&T to have their shit together.

So I'm in Madison Wisconsin for a wedding this weekend and I'm noticing how everywhere I go my 3G signal is strong. So I test it and I'm getting 6mb download and 3mb download.

How can this college town have significantly better data speeds than my far more populated areas?

I've had the opposite experience with Madison. I'm from Elgin, originally, where I would get 7Mbps down+ on my iPhone 4. In Madison, I got good signal with AT&T, but the backend didn't seam to be nearly as good. It also depends on where you're at in Madison. For example, performance in the downtown area seemed to be way worse because of congestion.

For people asking about vent mounts, this isn't strictly speaking for a vent but IMO it's even better, fitting into the CD slot which no-one uses any more. Recommended!

http://www.mountek.com

Also, guys, I'm weakening and thinking about getting some form of lightweight case. Tell me to snap out of it! Real men go commando!

Hoo-doo

Banned
For people asking about vent mounts, this isn't strictly speaking for a vent but IMO it's even better, fitting into the CD slot which no-one uses any more. Recommended!

Also, guys, I'm weakening and thinking about getting some form of lightweight case. Tell me to snap out of it! Real men go commando!

Go with the ultimate compromise, a classy (leather) sleeve.

Whenever you use it it's gorgeous and naked, but whenever you carry it, it's protected.

genuine_leather_iphond9fbo.jpg

bionic77

You need a case for when your baby will play with the phone.

Yeah no.

My pocket will do the same job.
My pocket is great for as long as I remember to keep my coins and keys in a different pocket, which invariably I eventually always forget to do. Wasn't a problem with the 4/4S because that phone was built like a tank but I'm a bit more worried about this one.

subrock

1. People have been telling me my voice is washed out or sounds very muted/muffled during calls. Making a mock voicemail recording sounds fine, but almost everyone I've talked to has had trouble hearing me at normal levels.
Are you covering the mic on the bottom with your hand or finger?

JDeluis

My pocket is great for as long as I remember to keep my coins and keys in a different pocket, which invariably I eventually always forget to do. Wasn't a problem with the 4/4S because that phone was built like a tank but I'm a bit more worried about this one.

You need a coin purse.
19200270.jpg

Piggus

lol money vagina^

Yeah no.

My pocket will do the same job.

Not really... Your pocket isn't going to save your phone when you drop it, knock it off the desk, etc and you won't have anything to rest the phone on. That's the biggest benefit of a sleeve imo... Always having a soft place to rest the phone to keep the back from getting scratched up.

Sena makes the best sleeve imo.

sikkinixx

There's no instore pickup/reservation option for Apple.com orders for Canada. The Apple retail stores in Canada only sell iPhone 5 on contract with Lebron, Wade and Bosh, err Rogers, Bell and Telus.

And yeah I wanted an unlocked iPhone 5, and the only way to get those in Canada is to order online with Apple, it'll come straight from Foxconn anyway.

Wasn't that only for the first week of sales? I was under the impression they would now have them.

Pachimari

Too bad I can't get access to the cd drive when I have my stereo connected to my iPhone for music in the car. =(

Also, is it just me or the Calendar app keep selecting Berlin as the time zone?

MasLegio

Banned
Too bad I can't get access to the cd drive when I have my stereo connected to my iPhone for music in the car. =(

Also, is it just me or the Calendar app keep selecting Berlin as the time zone?

why would you want a cd drive for music when you have the iphone?

Top Bottom