• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

ChanHuk

Banned
Love my Ford Fiesta for having keyless entry/start. Means I only need my car for my car and leave my house keys in the car. Wallet + key in one pocket, phone in the other.

mrkgoo

Wallet + keys in right pocket, phone in left pocket

Can't put stuff in back pocket. Sitting is too ackward

I'm the same.

However, I feel like I'm missing out n something 'cool'. Back-pocket wallet reaching is inherently cooler than techie the from pocket, I feel.

bowery

so i spilled coffee on the usb end of my lightning cable lulz......i dried it etc but plugging it into my laptop to charge my phone the 5 got a little hot.....should it be still safe to use or could it screw up my iphone's battery?

well got the 4S instead of the 5 today.

My first Iphone.

I'm also pretty broke too.

Why would you do that? Did you get it second hand? It's only $100 more for a 5 with the same amount of storage assuming you got a new 4S and you won't be saving anything over the life of the contract.

G-Fex

Why would you do that? Did you get it second hand? It's only $100 more for a 5 with the same amount of storage assuming you got a new 4S and you won't be saving anything over the life of the contract.

Honestly no place around had the 5 nor was I going to sign up with the waiting list.

I mean't i'm broke now btw, not before.

It's new, not second hand. And....well I like it either way. And...I'm just going to walk out of the thread now.

sruckus

Guys, the 4S is still a nice phone and some may prefer the build and/or look better. It's still perfectly reasonable to get.

It's new, not second hand. And....well I like it either way. And...I'm just going to walk out of the thread now.

Enjoy it. You still get most of the cool stuff this year, which doesn't always happen (new Siri stuff, panaomas, turn-by-turn, etc.)

Honestly no place around had the 5 nor was I going to sign up with the waiting list.

I mean't i'm broke now btw, not before.

At least it's still a solid phone...

Man, I can't believe people actually do this.

It really is true that if you obfuscate the real costs in any minor way, it'll change a lot about how people behave.

It is strange.

LCfiner

I don't know how likely this is but another possibility is that the cell carriers might be more likely to let people with cheaper contracts (<50 a month) get the 4S at upgrade pricing and not the pricier, more desirable iphone 5.

So what's the recommended place to off load the 4S right now?

Craig List, Ebay, Amazon, Apple Recycle, etc.

And could this info possibly be placed in the OP?

Fjordson

I know it's hard to compare launches of different phones, but is there any chance stores will start to have regular stock within the next month or so? Based on previous iPhone launches I mean.

My previous iPhone was a gift that I received a good six months after the release, so I've never dealt with this initial rush before. Bumming it with an old 3GS in pretty crappy condition since I sold my 4. Might have jumped the gun a bit there :lol

So what's the recommended place to off load the 4S right now?

Craig List, Ebay, Amazon, Apple Recycle, etc.

And could this info possibly be placed in the OP?
If your phone is in good condition, I think selling it on something like Craigslist or Ebay is the way to go. Seems like they're always in demand and you can get a decent amount in return. I remember I put the ad up on Craigslist for my 4 at like 11 at night. Woke up the next morning and had over a dozen serious offers for it.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Here's my battery use now after a week or so:

CHzJo.png

This is from a full charge on Friday morning, not chargin over night and using wifi and location services into Saturday evening.

Has anyone ordered from Apple.com and had "Delivers 03 Oct, 2012 - 09 Oct, 2012"? If so is your order still processing?

I'm assuming October 3rd isn't happening if it wasn't started preparing for shipping yet.

For the people doing battery tests, keep in mind that when the indicator gets to 1%, the battery can last for another 15-20 minutes at least before it dies.

whitehawk

Banned
Dammit. I went out today to demo the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3. Never owned a smartphone before, and was hoping I would be able to save some money by grabbing an android phone. Today I realized that Android really pales in comparison to iOS. Maybe it's because I used to own an iPod touch so I'm used to it, but the Android OS is confusing and ugly. And I had that most Android devices don't have a physical button, but rather touch buttons.

Ugh and I'd rather not buy it on contract, so it will be like $800...

My friend insists it's because Samsung mod Android or something, but I used a Galaxy S3 for about half an hour and the scrolling is so shitty in the web browser that I can't imagine ever owning an Android device. Even though I'm sort of underwhelmed with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 in a lot of ways, I see nothing on the other side to convince me to switch.

I finally got around to using the phone today. And no scuffs (yet) but am experiencing the wifi issue. I've inputted the correct password, but for whatever reason it's having issues connecting to the network.

I turned the radio off and set the proxy to auto and it still doesn't fix it. Not a huge deal at the moment, but I'd like to save power when I'm at home.

whitehawk

Banned
My friend insists it's because Samsung mod Android or something, but I used a Galaxy S3 for about half an hour and the scrolling is so shitty in the web browser that I can't imagine ever owning an Android device. Even though I'm sort of underwhelmed with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 in a lot of ways, I see nothing on the other side to convince me to switch.
Yeah this is a big gripe with me too. It's also the small thing that get me. Like when switching the phone's orientation while browsing the web, there's no transition. It just suddenly changes.

Rep told me the same thing but they said as long as my online order hadn't actually shipped, I could come in and pick one up in the store and they would cancel my online order.

Mine ended up shipping the next day so I didn't have to worry about it, but you should definitely be able to do this.

Went today when they opened and they cancelled it. At first they tried to say they couldn't, but I think they began to realize how messed up the situation was. The lady that helped me was there too and admitted to telling me it would ship within 24 hours.

Kaladin

qmXE8.png

Some amazing standby time. I could probably take this phone on a weekend camping trip and not worry about recharging it.

Kaladin

Wow. That's great.

What's your breakdown in terms of usage? Games, internet browsing (wi-fi or LTE?), music, video, etc.?

It's a mix of games, Netflix (in app and PS3 remote) and web browsing on WiFi and LTE. Oh and I also streamed some music through Bluetooth to my car on this charge.

I don't suppose anyone here has an iPhone 5 on Sprint. If so, how's the data speeds on 4G and 3G? Verizon and ATT are useless to me since I don't see the point of having incredibly fast transfer speeds combined with cost-prohibitive data restrictions.

jerry1594

I don't suppose anyone here has an iPhone 5 on Sprint. If so, how's the data speeds on 4G and 3G? Verizon and ATT are useless to me since I don't see the point of having incredibly fast transfer speeds combined with cost-prohibitive data restrictions.

Conversely, Sprint speeds are shit. Having an iPhone performing barely above feature phone speeds sucks.

Top Bottom