• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Pachimari

I've had mine caseless since day on and it looks fine. On the other hand, my ipad was also caseless and my idiot cat managed to knock it off my nightstand, resulting in this:

xSBDl.jpg

Sorry to see that. =(

I'm also caseless with iPad 2 and recently some of the aluminum were cut off in the corner. Also dropped my iPhone 4 six times on concrete but it's fine with only small scratches on the frame.

Talon

My phone is acting up again and Walmart still are sold out. Can I exchange my phone at an apple store or Verizon store still? It's borderline unusable at times.
Call Applecare.

Took me about 15 minutes, and the guy made sure the nearest Apple store would hold a replacement unit for me. Just went to the register, and they handed me the new phone. Took me all of two minutes.

So has anyone on here converted (modded) their micro sim to a nano sim yet? I have to do it when I get my 5 and I was wondering if anyone on here has done it and what their opinion is on the difficulty of cutting it down.

Noema

Unless someone rides on a train daily, or wants to stream video regularly while away from wifi, 2GB seems like a lot to me.

I use public transportation exclusively and I can pull 1GB in 2 days, easily. And that's just from web browsing / Grooveshark if I'm not careful. I've basically switched to Opera when I'm not on Wifi.

And I don't even have LTE! I get about 5mbps down on 3G. A 2GB cap on an LTE connection that can pull 20mbps sounds kind of horrible. What's the point? So I can stream an episode of Lost in HD from Netflix?

It's like having the world's biggest erection but only being able to hold it for 5 seconds.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unless someone rides on a train daily, or wants to stream video regularly while away from wifi, 2GB seems like a lot to me.

You'd think so, but I have somehow used almost 2GB and my cycle just started last Wednesday. I swear something is up with Verizon. All I have done is browsed a bit, and done a bit of music streaming. I'm on wifi most of the time...

Tobor

You'd think so, but I have somehow used almost 2GB and my cycle just started last Wednesday. I swear something is up with Verizon. All I have done is browsed a bit, and done a bit of music streaming. I'm on wifi most of the time...

There was. You should have received a carrier patch that fixed the problem. If you are on Verizon 13.1, you have the patch. Check in Settings.

Talon

I use public transportation exclusively and I can pull 1GB in 2 days, easily. And that's just from web browsing / Grooveshark if I'm not careful. I've basically switched to Opera when I'm not on Wifi.

And I don't even have LTE! I get about 5mbps down on 3G. A 2GB cap on an LTE connection that can pull 20mbps sounds kind of horrible. What's the point? So I can stream an episode of Lost in HD from Netflix?

It's like having the world's biggest erection but only being able to hold it for 5 seconds.
I web browse, pull RSS feeds, and stream music on a daily basis commuting in Chicago, and I didn't reach more than 1.5 GB on a heavy month.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There was. You should have received a carrier patch that fixed the problem. If you are on Verizon 13.1, you have the patch. Check in Settings.

I got that, so we'll see if that does it. Hopefully it doesn't continue at this speed or I'll be out of my 6GB in like 2 weeks.

It's not a lot. Especially given the benefits of those speeds. My wife waits in carpool every day for our daughter. Roughly 15-30 minutes. That time would go by much faster if she could stream news or netflix. If she does that once or twice a month, goodbye 2 gig. Terrible. But what's worse is the 50 dollars a month they're charging just for the data portion.

Talon

It's not a lot. Especially given the benefits of those speeds. My wife waits in carpool every day for our daughter. Roughly 15-30 minutes. That time would go by much faster if she could stream news or netflix. If she does that once or twice a month, goodbye 2 gig. Terrible. But what's worse is the 50 dollars a month they're charging just for the data portion.
This is totally not true. I've been streaming baseball and Netflix on my 2 GB plan about four times a month, and I haven't exceeded 2 GB. I think we're overestimating how much video streaming takes.

And, yes, I'm not disagreeing that caps sucks. They totally do, but you can stream more content than you'd think.

You are a true power user. I was commenting on the fact that some people in threads like this suggest 2GB isn't enough for anyone. It is, for probably 90% of the iPhone owners out there.

I'm on my phone all the time, but I'm also on wifi most of the time. I've got a 45 minute commute each way 5 days a week, but I don't use my phone much then, and my average monthly usage is about 400mb.

One hour of streaming Netflix is going to use 2 gigs?!?

Mr.Fresh

Call Applecare.

Took me about 15 minutes, and the guy made sure the nearest Apple store would hold a replacement unit for me. Just went to the register, and they handed me the new phone. Took me all of two minutes.

Thanks.
This is my 1st Apple product so i wasn't sure if they would replace it since i bought it from Walmart. They set up an appointment for me for 7 tonight and they said the will replace it.

Waiting at my AT&T store. They say they are getting 64 GB black units today. They are supposed to come in between 12-2. I've been waiting here since they opened at 10.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
had a quick play at the local apple store. It feels a lot lighter than the 4S, and much less slippery (which is a good thing, I'm always nearly dropping my wife's 4S). Thinness isn't really noticable IMO

almost tempted to switch her 4S to a 5, considering the 4S sim free is still £450 over here, could probably do it for around £100.

Vyer

Uh, if you guys have caps you'd be nuts to stream video (outside of some youtube i guess) over the data connection. Nothing - not browsing, podcasts, music - will chew through data like pulling video. It was a bad idea through 3G because of how much data it used and because the connection was slow. With LTE just because one of those roadblocks is gone that doesn't mean the other is.

Tobor

Uh, if you guys have caps you'd be nuts to stream video (outside of some youtube i guess) over the data connection. Nothing - not browsing, podcasts, music - will chew through data like pulling video. It was a bad idea through 3G because of how much data it used and because the connection was slow. With LTE just because one of those roadblocks is gone that doesn't mean the other is.

Music isn't as bad. A Pandora stream will eat up roughly 30MB an hour. Nowhere near as bad as video. Netflix will chew through as much as 1GB an hour.

Sean

Banned
Might be a stupid question, but iTunes Match streams everything right? Meaning every song I listen to will eat into the monthly data cap?

The reason I ask is that I don't see the circular 'progress spinner' thing that you usually see in the status bar when it's using the data connection.

Lima

Might be a stupid question, but iTunes Match streams everything right? Meaning every song I listen to will eat into the monthly data cap?

The reason I ask is that I don't see the circular 'progress spinner' thing that you usually see in the status bar when it's using the data connection.

Nope.

iTunes Match is not a streaming service (not yet anyway). It downloads the songs to your iPhone and/or iPad.

xnipx

Does anyone know what type of throttling AT&T plans on doing when u hit the 5 gb cap. Will they switch u to 3g(I can deal with that) or back to edge and make your life a living hell until ur plan restarts.

Aesthet1c

So my phone has been doing this really strange thing.

About 3/4's of the time, when I make a purchase on the App Store and I'm prompted for my password, I get some weird distorted lines appearing on top of my keyboard area. Almost like when an old VHS tape had trouble reading. I tried taking a screen shot of it but it didn't show in the picture. This only pops up when I am prompted for my apple ID password, and it doesn't happen every single time.

If its just an iOS bug then I'm okay with it, but I'm concerned that its a hardware issue, so I kind of want a replacement.

Anyone else notice this?

Waiting at my AT&T store. They say they are getting 64 GB black units today. They are supposed to come in between 12-2. I've been waiting here since they opened at 10.

For some stupid reason the ATT stores near me act like they have no idea when anything is showing up. :/

You are a true power user. I was commenting on the fact that some people in threads like this suggest 2GB isn't enough for anyone. It is, for probably 90% of the iPhone owners out there.

I'm on my phone all the time, but I'm also on wifi most of the time. I've got a 45 minute commute each way 5 days a week, but I don't use my phone much then, and my average monthly usage is about 400mb.

One hour of streaming Netflix is going to use 2 gigs?!?

1 hour uses about 1 gig.

At what point do you think customers are going to protest against these caps?

When there's a viable alternative. The shitty thing is that cellular service prices skyrocketed, but brought with them data caps. It's definitely making it easy for me to simply avoid getting a "smart" phone.

rise888

So my phone has been doing this really strange thing.

About 3/4's of the time, when I make a purchase on the App Store and I'm prompted for my password, I get some weird distorted lines appearing on top of my keyboard area. Almost like when an old VHS tape had trouble reading. I tried taking a screen shot of it but it didn't show in the picture. This only pops up when I am prompted for my apple ID password, and it doesn't happen every single time.

If its just an iOS bug then I'm okay with it, but I'm concerned that its a hardware issue, so I kind of want a replacement.

Anyone else notice this?

I think this is a known issue. This happens to me as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nope.

iTunes Match is not a streaming service (not yet anyway). It downloads the songs to your iPhone and/or iPad.

Oh it does? Hmm, I got match so I wouldn't have to have music on my device. Does it delete them eventually or do I manually have to do it?

Top Bottom