• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I have just started using my 5 today. I'm in Tampa and there isn't LTE. 3G speeds for Sprint are okay. But you're getting what you pay for, ie unlimited data on probably the third slowest network.

And I'm not sure how they're going to maintain unlimited data with more LTE markets, unless they start throttling.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I have a preorder through AT&T that won't ship for at least 4 more days. I'm going to head into the store tomorrow though and see if they happen to have any in stock. The customer service rep I talked to on the phone said that they would be able to cancel my order and give me a phone in person if they have any.

I have a preorder through AT&T that won't ship for at least 4 more days. I'm going to head into the store tomorrow though and see if they happen to have any in stock. The customer service rep I talked to on the phone said that they would be able to cancel my order and give me a phone in person if they have any.

It's been stated several times but try the instore pickup option. From 10 pm to 4 am, you can go on the Apple site and purchase an iPhone, use the in-store pickup option. It'll let you know what stores have inventory in the area.

Conversely, Sprint speeds are shit. Having an iPhone performing barely above feature phone speeds sucks.

The issue though is that Sprint can only get better in regards to speed. No matter how fast Verizon and ATT get, I can't ever make proper use of their networks since their prices are cost prohibitive. 90 dollars a month for 2 gigs of data is a joke. That's why I'm asking how fast Sprints 4G speeds are when they do work. If it's awful, I'll just wait for iPad mini and get a cheap Go phone.

Wiz

I don't suppose anyone here has an iPhone 5 on Sprint. If so, how's the data speeds on 4G and 3G? Verizon and ATT are useless to me since I don't see the point of having incredibly fast transfer speeds combined with cost-prohibitive data restrictions.

I'm in Atlanta on Sprint and their 4G speeds are pretty damn good.
redog.png

3G is a different story. It's terrible. Barely 1 mbps down/up

I'm in Atlanta on Sprint and their 4G speeds are pretty damn good.

3G is a different story. It's terrible. Barely 1 mbps down/up

Thanks for that. Fact is, even at 1mbps down I could listen to all the Pandora I wanted to in the car. Does Sprint provide you with their Maps/turn-by-turn on the iPhone?

Wiz

Thanks for that. Fact is, even at 1mbps down I could listen to all the Pandora I wanted to in the car. Does Sprint provide you with their Maps/turn-by-turn on the iPhone?

No prob. If that suits your needs, then by all means. But Sprint has their own Maps? The only thing I've used so far is Apple Maps. And admittedly...I haven't had many problems with it.

No prob. If that suits your needs, then by all means. But Sprint has their own Maps? The only thing I've used so far is Apple Maps. And admittedly...I haven't had many problems with it.

Yeah, it's why I used to use them. They provided free turn-by-turn with all their phones.

I haven't checked recently but on the 4s, you could only get the app on Blackberry, Android, etc.

It was great too. I was so bummed when I moved to the Apple ecosystem and couldn't use the app. I think they should port it to iOS. I think AT&T has their app on iOS.

Edit: Are you referring to GPS Telenav?

jerry1594

The issue though is that Sprint can only get better in regards to speed. No matter how fast Verizon and ATT get, I can't ever make proper use of their networks since their prices are cost prohibitive. 90 dollars a month for 2 gigs of data is a joke. That's why I'm asking how fast Sprints 4G speeds are when they do work. If it's awful, I'll just wait for iPad mini and get a cheap Go phone.

I agree that Verizon and AT&T are shit in that regard but I don't see Sprint keeping their unlimited plan as their networks improve and they gain more subscribers.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
It's been stated several times but try the instore pickup option. From 10 pm to 4 am, you can go on the Apple site and purchase an iPhone, use the in-store pickup option. It'll let you know what stores have inventory in the area.
Pretty sure that only shows whether Apple stores have it in stock, but thanks. I pass an AT&T store every day on my way to work, so it'll be easier just to keep checking to see if that get them in.

Pretty sure that only shows whether Apple stores have it in stock, but thanks. I pass an AT&T store every day on my way to work, so it'll be easier just to keep checking to see if that get them in.

I just did it. At the end of the checkout process it lets you switch from shipping to in-store. Then you give it your zip code and it shows you which stores will have one for pickup in the morning. None of the 4 Apple stores in my area will have any unfortunately.

lexi

Banned
So good!

(Ping is high though).

78 is high? Maybe as an Australian I take these things for granted.

I'm at a crossroads on what to do re: iPhone 5. I'm at the end of my contract, I loved my iPhone 4, but I use it strictly without a case. After 2 years of usage it has no visible scratches or scuffs anywhere, if I cleaned it, it would look brand new. I LOVE this about it.

So to me it is really concerning hearing al these tales and accounts even after just a tiny bit of use, how much the iPhone 5 scuffs and scratches. I don't know what to do, Maybe I should get a 4S? I hate the Android OS, but do actually really like Windows Phone... I'd really prefer to stay with iOS though.

In my ideal world they could have increased the form factor but keep the glass and stainless steel bands. The iPhone 4 is still the pinnacle of phone design, I'm not sure the iPhone 5 has actually taken any steps forward.

KoukiFC

Neo Member

Sprint's 3G is fast enough to stream music, browse the web, and use social apps. It's probably not fast enough for video streaming.

Is your area getting network vision? The 3G should hit 1.5Mbps+ after that.

Sprint's 3G is fast enough to stream music, browse the web, and use social apps. It's probably not fast enough for video streaming.

Is your area getting network vision? The 3G should hit 1.5Mbps+ after that.

According to their coverage maps, Seattle has a fast network, but I live in a small suburb outside of Redmond. We have pretty crappy coverage for all the major carriers. But my commute into Remond appears to be cool for streaming Pandora on Sprint with the occasional Netflix streams if I take the bus.

It's 13 dollar difference a month from sprint (cheapest unlimited plan) to verizon (unlimited data/text/450 minutes) and that's with a 28% sprint discount compared to 18% verizon. If sprints network ever gets good, it'll raise prices and cap you.

It's 13 dollar difference a month from sprint (cheapest unlimited plan) to verizon (unlimited data/text/450 minutes) and that's with a 28% sprint discount compared to 18% verizon. If sprints network ever gets good, it'll raise prices and cap you.

In what universe does Verizon have unlimited data for 13 dollars more than Sprint? Also not sure what the 28 and 18% discounts you're talking about are. Are they generally available to all?

Yeah, I just went on the Verizon Wireless website and see only their minimal data plans. 2 GB seems like such a small cap.

I wonder how data plans in Japan are.

Nicktendo86

So a colleague in work has a white iphone 5 and I got my first hands in this morning, it really has to be said this thing is light. Like really light, its like going from a dual shock to a six axis, it almost takes you by surprise. Other than that it looks nice, it is thin but not out of this world so.

Pachimari

Alright, I will take off the plastic on the back of my iPhone 5, as I now have decided to go naked and live with eventual scuffs.

3 days with the phone and I have one tiny little scuff which I can only see when light is shining on it. So I'm goin named and let it get its battle scars.

Anyone else?

LordCanti

So...I've just found out that I get maybe 1/10 calls that people place to my IP5. Some of those calls don't even ring (but I can see them as missed calls), and others don't show up as having made it through to my phone at all. I figured this out because people started leaving me messages on Facebook, or calling my home phone, etc, and telling me that they couldn't get through to me on my cellphone.

My phone is definitely not on vibrate or airplane mode (and hasn't been) and the ringer is on full blast. I'm also in an area with excellent coverage. Did I get a lemon? Is there anything I can do to fix it, or is a trip to the AT&T store for a replacement in order? (do they even have any to give me?)

f@luS

More than a member.
After i read somewhere that some apps may kill the batteryi tried something. I used to go from 100 to 90% in 1h with some use. Now i killed all open apps and i lose 3% in 2 hours... Gotta find whats sucking my battery life

By the way anny apple word on the calling tone bug? Quite annoying to hear one bip then nothing...

Has anyone had this reservation system Apple set up work for them? Ever since it was announced I've been trying every night at 10pm exactly to get the phone but it ALWAYS shows unavailable for pick up. And there's like 8 apple stores I would be able to visit, but no dice.

This shit don't work!

bionic77

Yeah, I just went on the Verizon Wireless website and see only their minimal data plans. 2 GB seems like such a small cap.

I wonder how data plans in Japan are.
2 GB is so small under LTE if you do anything really data intensive.

It is weird how much better cell phone internet speeds are getting. It seems like my home internet is the same speed it was 6 years ago.

lexi

Banned

It is weird how much better cell phone internet speeds are getting. It seems like my home internet is the same speed it was 6 years ago.

Yet the data plans still suck.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Verizon updated the odd wifi affecting data plan numbers bug it looks like. I still think I'm somehow using way more data than I did before, even though I'm watching is closer now.

I personally think that this super fast mobile internet is a little too early for it's time, it will be a few years before we get better internet data packages and right now on 3G I can burn through a gig of data in a day if I stream stuff at medium quality, so it's not something I am bothered with as it stands.

Hari Seldon

Is there a way to obtain an iPhone 5 in the US without a wait at the moment? Like by going to best buy or something? I pre-ordered a 16gig that is coming in 10 days, but I am having regret that I should have gotten a 64gig, but I don't want to wait another month.

Has anyone had this reservation system Apple set up work for them? Ever since it was announced I've been trying every night at 10pm exactly to get the phone but it ALWAYS shows unavailable for pick up. And there's like 8 apple stores I would be able to visit, but no dice.

This shit don't work!

I've been doing the same, and I can tell you this, I don't think their site updates every store at exactly 10pm. Surprise surprise!

So what I now do is sit there and update the various phone options I'm interested in for 5-10 minutes, and see what pops up at the stores around me. Sure enough, I'll see one pop up at 10:05 that wasn't there at 10:00. So go to the cart with your phone, check stores, and then edit the phone in the cart, pick it again, and go back to the store checker again.

Unless someone rides on a train daily, or wants to stream video regularly while away from wifi, 2GB seems like a lot to me.

Pachimari

How many photos of the same looking iPhone does one need? No matter the scenery it's still the same phone.

Just saying....

You don't say.
Still, it's a nice diversion from all the talk about AT&T/Verizon for us Europeans. Just saying, if people want to post photos of it, it'll be welcome. =)

Mr.Fresh

My phone is acting up again and Walmart still are sold out. Can I exchange my phone at an apple store or Verizon store still? It's borderline unusable at times.

jcm

Took a photo of my iPhone 5, thinking if I should put on a film protection to the back or just let it be naked as now:

I've had mine caseless since day on and it looks fine. On the other hand, my ipad was also caseless and my idiot cat managed to knock it off my nightstand, resulting in this:

xSBDl.jpg

Top Bottom