• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

People who aren't wrapped up into any OS probably don't even get it.

You're telling me that you have to devote your life to an OS and refuse to ever switch to get it?

If that's the case, then I think Apple's ads are far more effective.

I think Apple certainly usually has better marketing than Samsung but I think there are some good things and then there are some lame things about the Samsung ad. It's not all 100% fail.

It's kinda like who are political ads aimed for? They're not for the die hards in either camp.

I don't know who those Samsung ads are supposed to be for. It's preaching to the choir type stuff.

They're aimed at me. People that are open to something new every time their contract is up. I've decided this time that I'll probably go with a Lumia/Windows 8 phone, but I'm waiting to see if/when iPhone 5 will hit Virgin Mobile. The biggest thing holding me back from any phone right now is 90-100 dollar phone plans. 35 for Virgin Mobile is definitely doable. I kinda also want to see if iPad Mini will have cellular service.

A direct reflection? The advertisement is not that intelligent. It's a massive exaggeration made to sell a competing product.

I don't really care that the jack is on the bottom instead of the top now either. I do like the new connector and it definitely makes me wish every single cable was reversible though :D

Agreed about the cable. I always wished Apple would have made the old cables with a raised mark on the side that goes on top so I could feel it in the dark.

this_guy

But is the orientation of the phone top up or bottom up? Are you saying you don't see how holding your phone and putting it in your pocket leads to the phone being upside down, and pulling it out when it is upside down leads it to be in your hands the correct way to look at it without flipping your phone around 180 degrees?

Phone is vertical, orientation is right side up. You're blowing the flipping your phone around 180 degrees out of proportion. As I pull my up and out of my pocket, I pull it up towards me with the screen facing me. It doesn't take any additional time. All I'm saying is the location isn't a big deal.

One thing I do think that the iPhone has the biggest advantage in is the available 3rd party accessories. The Life Proof case for the iPhone 4 and 4s is an amazing (but expensive) case. I think Samsung has the best chance to get accessory makers on board because the Galaxy is the same size on all 4 major carriers here in the US as well as world wide.

For those saying bumping is lame, how does NFC work exactly? Is it a tap? Is it a touch? Let's forget the simple thought of bumping, but just the idea of a way of invoking a connection in an easy manner in order to trade a set piece of data. That's what is important out of this and the thing that is useful. If not a bump, how do you invoke the connection and how does NFC work to establish these connections?
The physical bump is stupid. Apparently it's needed to initiate NFC, which I did not know. I thought that you wave an NFC-enabled device near a receptor and it works. I didn't know you have to physically bump your credit card at 7-11.

In that case, NFC is not what I would use to share info because bumping phones is dumb as fuck. As I said before, if there was some app built in for NFC that turned your phone into something like a server, where you can see a list of other people's phones that are also in share/receive mode, and you tap on their names and just send the photo or info out to them. Like turning your phone into a small-range information hot spot. Much faster and more efficient than bumping the phone of every person you want to share something with.

Wait, bumping is bad but Siri is good? Where does Maps fall on this wacky list?
Bumping is something that ads a stupid gimmick to file sharing. Siri has stupid gimmicky uses, sure, but it also has legit uses that actually speed up and make easier certain tasks, such as setting calendar dates, reminders, and unit conversation. I feel less stupid telling my phone to save the date then I would telling a stranger to bump my phone so I could get a picture they just took.

Maps doesn't fall anywhere in this discussion at all. You're trying too hard to sling shit. This isn't an iOS VS Android debate, this is a discussion about bumping devices together to share information, no matter the platform, being fucking stupid.

Yes, all the griping about "bumping phones together, so awkward" strikes me as pretty typical gadget rationalization when a competing device has a feature that your device doesn't have - "because my device does not have this, I do not use it, therefore it is useless"
Except that iPhone users have had that ability for the past five years, so that's actually not it at all. There's a reason it never took off: it's stupid.

Apple bought Siri and made it an integral part of their ecosystem. You don't think they would have done the same for Bump if they thought it had any kind of use beyond a dumb gimmick?

SeanR1221

Nah the Samsung ads definitely seem made for circle jerk material.

Also, who displays their competitor as so desirable people will wait in line for the product?

i just find it funny on the samsung ad had two friends meet up just to bump phones in front of a line and then go their separate ways. lol. what was the point? why not email?

i thought the ad was funny but i got quickly sick of it as samsung went on a marketing blitz a few weeks ago and had that ad playing every commercial break during football. however, i still crack up at the guy saying "the big screen!" in the barney voice, lol.

I'm in the break room at work and two people just exchanged a phone number WITHOUT TOUCHING PHONES! The data transfer happened before they were even done talking about sending the number. It was insane, I don't know what kind of magic they used - they had completely different phone models! One of them wasn't even a smart phone! I can't comprehend this event that I just saw with my own eyes.

:p

nib95

Banned
Except that iPhone users have had that ability for the past five years, so that's actually not it at all. There's a reason it never took off: it's stupid.

The reason bump never lifted off on iPhone is partly because of Apple's/iOS's horrid user restraints and controls, not allowing you to bump songs, videos etc. This sort of makes it pointless because you might as well email photo's to people instead. Emailing a massive 720p or 1080p video is not so easy. S-Beam on Samsung phones is a bit different because you can literally share any file, and it's much faster (near instantaneous) connecting devices together than bluetooth currently is. Using WiFi direct for speeds up to 300Mbps is also a big bonus.

KtSlime

The reason bump never lifted off on iPhone is partly because of Apple's/iOS's horrid user restraints and controls, not allowing you to bump songs, videos etc. This sort of makes it pointless because you might as well email photo's to people instead. Emailing a massive 720p or 1080p video is not so easy. S-Beam on Samsung phones is a bit different because you can literally share any file, and it's much faster (near instantaneous) connecting devices together than bluetooth currently is. Using WiFi direct for speeds up to 300Mbps is also a big bonus.

You mean copyrighted content that people can't legally redistribute? I'm pretty sure you are allowed to share any content you personally made.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yes, all the griping about "bumping phones together, so awkward" strikes me as pretty typical gadget rationalization when a competing device has a feature that your device doesn't have - "because my device does not have this, I do not use it, therefore it is useless"

lol, not really. At least for me...

The iPhone pretty much had it via "Bump" and I don't see the appeal in it at all. Would rather just send a message with files.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Guess ill ask here too

Something up with the store and stuff? My iPad wont connect to the iTunes Store on any Internet connection. I also keep getting a log in screen pop up box that goes to a 404 page (similar to day 1 on the iPhone 5 before apple fixed it)...

krpiper

My Verizon contract is up next month...

I have been a long time Android user (Droid OG and then a Droid 2 Global), and I am considering jumping ship to an iPhone 5.

This spring I picked up a iPad 1 for cheap at Craigslist ($100) and I found that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, the interface is nice and smooth and things (so far) just seem to work. Unlike my Droid 2, which seems to skip and freeze and force close a lot (I am not sure if that's the phone or the OS however)
Anyway like I said I am considering jumping ship, (goodbye unlimited data :(, I know that would be gone anyway though) has anyone here been in my shoes and made the jump? Any other thoughts?
I also jailbroke my iPad, but I would assume a jailbreak would come in a months time?

Tobor

Guess ill ask here too

Something up with the store and stuff? My iPad wont connect to the iTunes Store on any Internet connection. I also keep getting a log in screen pop up box that goes to a 404 page (similar to day 1 on the iPhone 5 before apple fixed it)...

Down for me as well. I'm getting a "Can't connect to iTunes Store" message.

Apple's solution to bumping is Shared Photo Stream. Take a photo and automatically share it with everyone that you want to see it. Not really the same, but they see potential in working on the situation that way and getting it to be more automated rather than to always require manual bumps.

Apple's solution to bumping is Shared Photo Stream. Take a photo and automatically share it with everyone that you want to see it. Not really the same, but they see potential in working on the situation that way and getting it to be more automated rather than to always require manual bumps.

I don't know if that will be ideal or even work in the end. That's more of a constant solution rather than something from a specific moment or event. There are times you want to exchange data with someone but not constantly feed them all your data. Also photo stream is limited to photos. Videos don't work. Other applications wouldn't work like games. The idea of bringing two phones together would be a universal concept and not just a per situation solution. You want to make a payment by talking to the store, you touch their payment point. You want to connect to a speaker, you touch to the NFC enabled speaker and it works. You want to play a game with someone, you touch your phone to them and now you're connected. You want to give someone a photo you just took, you touch and send them the photo. There's a number of cases of wanting to exchange data and having a universal context that says I want my phone to talk to your device could easily be handled from one single type of gesture or connection.

lol, not really. At least for me...

The iPhone pretty much had it via "Bump" and I don't see the appeal in it at all. Would rather just send a message with files.

The problem with Bump is it's not integrated. People seem to forget the advantages of built in integration. Not only does it work better than a stand alone solution, but it gets the message much more across when it's a feature everyone has versus having to go find out about it and download it.

Apple bought Siri and made it an integral part of their ecosystem. You don't think they would have done the same for Bump if they thought it had any kind of use beyond a dumb gimmick?

See above. Plus Siri was available in another form on iOS in the form of a third party app like Bump. It didn't take off then, so why use Siri now? Clearly Apple pushing it gets the word out and it being integrated helps a lot.

I don't know if that will be ideal or even work in the end. That's more of a constant solution rather than something from a specific moment or event. There are times you want to exchange data with someone but not constantly feed them all your data. Also photo stream is limited to photos. Videos don't work. Other applications wouldn't work like games. The idea of bringing two phones together would be a universal concept and not just a per situation solution. You want to make a payment by talking to the store, you touch their payment point. You want to connect to a speaker, you touch to the NFC enabled speaker and it works. You want to play a game with someone, you touch your phone to them and now you're connected. You want to give someone a photo you just took, you touch and send them the photo. There's a number of cases of wanting to exchange data and having a universal context that says I want my phone to talk to your device could easily be handled from one single type of gesture or connection.
Here is the problem with this as the reason for needing NFC: Square already does this shit without it. You have an app, you're located by GPS, and the app can tell the other party that you're nearby. You then do whatever it is you want to do with it. You don't have to touch phones, and it opens up a lot more possibility with an unlimited amount of people or even other locations (like the original Color application tried to do).

KillGore

My Verizon contract is up next month...

I have been a long time Android user (Droid OG and then a Droid 2 Global), and I am considering jumping ship to an iPhone 5.

This spring I picked up a iPad 1 for cheap at Craigslist ($100) and I found that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, the interface is nice and smooth and things (so far) just seem to work. Unlike my Droid 2, which seems to skip and freeze and force close a lot (I am not sure if that's the phone or the OS however)
Anyway like I said I am considering jumping ship, (goodbye unlimited data :(, I know that would be gone anyway though) has anyone here been in my shoes and made the jump? Any other thoughts?
I also jailbroke my iPad, but I would assume a jailbreak would come in a months time?

I'm in the exact same position as you. I have an HTC Evo 4G that I bought in 2010 and my contract's up. My dad stopped using the ipad 1 he bought and gave it to me, been using it and I'm liking the interface. It's kinda simple and not a lot of customization but everything works pretty smooth. I've never had an iphone before so I'm thinking about buying the iPhone 5. The only things that worry me is the maps, battery life, the weird lines that some people see on their screen and the scuffs that some units are experiencing. How bad is battery life guys?

Edit: The other contenders are the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3. I also wanted the Lumia 920 but it's an ATT exclusive :\

Here is the problem with this as the reason for needing NFC: Square already does this shit without it. You have an app, you're located by GPS, and the app can tell the other party that you're nearby. You then do whatever it is you want to do with it. You don't have to touch phones, and it opens up a lot more possibility with an unlimited amount of people or even other locations (like the original Color application tried to do).

Fine forget the touch. It doesn't have to be a bump, or a touch. I'm talking about a universal method of talking to other devices that works across for multiple reasons. Whatever gets the point across to make easy connection that handles the handshake and doing it all without the user having to do pretty much anything is the key point here. I don't care how it's initiated as long as somehow it's done and it's easy to the end user. Doesn't Square require Internet though? That's a barrier. I'm talking about an ad hoc solution that doesn't require Internet access.

nib95

Banned
You mean copyrighted content that people can't legally redistribute? I'm pretty sure you are allowed to share any content you personally made.

Are you kidding me? Wtf is this post. You for SOPA and the (ex) citizen detention policies of NDAA as well? How about DRM in games, movies and digital content too? Do you also think that because x no of people use sites like send space or Megauoload for illegal behaviour, they should be blocked, banned or closed altogether?

Please do elaborate. I'm personally for more features and more freedom to share my own content how I wish or want. I certainly don't like the idea of Apple or any corporation restricting my ability to share videos, files or songs that I've legally created or purchased.

Mairu

I'm in the exact same position as you. I have an HTC Evo 4G that I bought in 2010 and my contract's up. My dad stopped using the ipad 1 he bought and gave it to me, been using it and I'm liking the interface. It's kinda simple and not a lot of customization but everything works pretty smooth. I've never had an iphone before so I'm thinking about buying the iPhone 5. The only things that worry me is the maps, battery life, the weird lines that some people see on their screen and the scuffs that some units are experiencing. How bad is battery life guys?

Maps is getting better every day, but if you rely on Google Maps for transit directions there's no great replacement right now.

I don't really have any complaints about battery life. I upgraded from a 4 and the standby seems much better (though this is kind of a pointless metric) and the actual usage seems pretty similar. Some people are stating that LTE is a bigger drain but at work and home I have wifi... Haven't really had a chance to go all day only using LTE.

The "weird lines" only happen in the App Store when you're putting in your password and hopefully this will be fixed soon, but it's not much of an issue.
Fine forget the touch. It doesn't have to be a bump, or a touch. I'm talking about a universal method of talking to other devices that works across for multiple reasons. Whatever gets the point across to make easy connection that handles the handshake and doing it all without the user having to do pretty much anything is the key point here. I don't care how it's initiated as long as somehow it's done and it's easy to the end user. Doesn't Square require Internet though? That's a barrier. I'm talking about an ad hoc solution that doesn't require Internet access.
Like SMS/MMS/email? I look forward to the iPhone 6 (or further) having NFC, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over not having it.

Argyle

Actually, you haven't had that ability for 5 years - Bump may seem like "the same thing" but it really isn't.

Bump simply listens for movement on the accelerometer to send a request to Bump's servers with the GPS locations of each phone, then anything you share needs to be uploaded from your phone (and most likely via the cellular connection) to their server, and then downloaded back from there onto the target device, using up your mobile data quota. If you don't have a data connection (or if Bump's servers are down), Bump doesn't work. It also has very limited functionality in that you can only use it for the very limited purposes that Bump has envisioned (apparently contact info and photos), whereas NFC can be used by any app on any platform any way they want to use it, as long as both devices have an app that can interpret the tag received over NFC.

I don't know why Bump hasn't taken off. I had never heard of it despite its crossplatformness and I don't know a soul who uses it. But I think you'll be hearing a lot more about NFC in the coming years, and someday Apple will get around to implementing it.

Like SMS/MMS/email? I look forward to the iPhone 6 (or further) having NFC, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over not having it.

How is SMS/MMS/email going to work when trying to talk to a speaker or making a game connection or even making a payment?

KillGore

Maps is getting better every day, but if you rely on Google Maps for transit directions there's no great replacement right now.

I don't really have any complaints about battery life. I upgraded from a 4 and the standby seems much better (though this is kind of a pointless metric) and the actual usage seems pretty similar. Some people are stating that LTE is a bigger drain but at work and home I have wifi... Haven't really had a chance to go all day only using LTE.

The "weird lines" only happen in the App Store when you're putting in your password and

Thanks for the input, so how does maps get better every day? does it record data? what kind of data? searches? fastest route? or what?

So the weird lines thing is a software problem?

Tobor

Apple could do this easily within the existing UI by bringing a version of AirDrop over from the Mac. All they have to do is add an "AirDrop" button to the share menu. Any nearby Apple devices pop up.

You'd have to have authentication for unknown devices, but that should happen anyway.

KtSlime

Are you kidding me? Wtf is this post. You for SOPA and the (ex) citizen detention policies of NDAA as well? How about DRM in games, movies and digital content too? Do you also think that because x no of people use sites like send space or Megauoload for illegal behaviour, they should be blocked or banned altogether?

Please do elaborate.

Of course not, however I live in the real world, and understand that Apple has license agreements with media companies. And in return, Apple has a better selection of licensed media on their devices. If you want to "pirate" go right on ahead, I don't even think it is morally wrong, that said, complaining about Apple devices not making it easier for people to pirate is pretty silly IMO.

Apple also does not block you from sending movies or music, they simply don't enable it by default. If you want to put an audio file in Voice Memos rather than Music so that you can use the share button to send it, or if you want put a feature film in Photos rather than Videos so you can do the same, you are completely free to do so, and have always been. You can also put them in a myriad of file storage apps that are on the App Store - which are free to implement their own sharing mechanisms.

krpiper

How bad is battery life guys?

Edit: The other contenders are the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3. I also wanted the Lumia 920 but it's an ATT exclusive :\

Anything has to be better than my Droid 2 (with extended battery) I have to baby it and it still doesnt make it through a day, using Wifi and lowest brightness

Apple could do this easily within the existing UI by bringing a version of AirDrop over from the Mac. All they have to do is add an "AirDrop" button to the share menu. Any nearby Apple devices pop up.

You'd have to have authentication for unknown devices, but that should happen anyway.

I think I'd be okay with something like AirDrop. Isn't AirDrop only sending files over, not for communicating? Also the idea behind touching devices together or having them next to each other is that it automatically establishes a handshake between the two and avoids the whole looking through a list of people to talk to. It bypasses that whole step which is something that simplifies the whole process. I agree with confirming, but I think taking it one step further should be avoiding having to pick through a list of people.

KtSlime

I think I'd be okay with something like AirDrop. Isn't AirDrop only sending files over, not for communicating? Also the idea behind touching devices together or having them next to each other is that it automatically establishes a handshake between the two and avoids the whole looking through a list of people to talk to. It bypasses that whole step which is something that simplifies the whole process. I agree with confirming, but I think taking it one step further should be avoiding having to pick through a list of people.

They could make the LocationService area really small, like 5 or 10 feet, so only people within 5 feet of you show up on the AirDrop screen, what are the odds that there would be a whole bunch of people with AirDrop open within that range?

Shouldn't GameCenter buddy lists be used for initiating games? What else do you mean by "communicating"?

Badgerst3

What is the wait time if I walk into Verizon tomorrow?

And first time iPhone buyer. I have an iPad 2. Will 16gb suffice? I don't have much for music, photos, etc and use the iPad for videos.

Damn 4g lte was crazy fast on the phone I messed with.

Finally- 2 gb data plan sufficient?

Tobor

They could make the LocationService area really small, like 5 or 10 feet, so only people within 5 feet of you show up on the AirDrop screen, what are the odds that there would be a whole bunch of people with AirDrop open within that range?

Shouldn't GameCenter buddy lists be used for initiating games? What else do you mean by "communicating"?

I'm guessing he means payments, but that will have to wait until Apple finishes it's NFC implementation. All of this will be moot when that's ready anyway, but it's an interesting discussion.

That may or may not work. Could be a problem if you're in a mall or at a coffee shop. But I'm open to thinking about how that would work.

Not everyone is always in your Game Center buddy list, plus it would also be an easy way to add someone to your buddy list. As for communicating, it could be payments like at a store, or like what Nokia did where you put it on a speaker and it now becomes a connected playback device. Imagine going to someone's place and you just put your phone on their AppleTV and now the AppleTV can play the contents on the device. There's a number of things that open up with such an easy connection.

nib95

Banned
Of course not, however I live in the real world, and understand that Apple has license agreements with media companies. And in return, Apple has a better selection of licensed media on their devices. If you want to "pirate" go right on ahead, I don't even think it is morally wrong, that said, complaining about Apple devices not making it easier for people to pirate is pretty silly IMO.

Apple also does not block you from sending movies or music, they simply don't enable it by default. If you want to put an audio file in Voice Memos rather than Music so that you can use the share button to send it, or if you want put a feature film in Photos rather than Videos so you can do the same, you are completely free to do so, and have always been. You can also put them in a myriad of file storage apps that are on the App Store - which are free to implement their own sharing mechanisms.

Sorry I don't buy that. You're not a corporation and I'm assuming you don't have shares in Apple, even if you did, I'd assume that on moral grounds you'd be more pro user and user experience than pro corporation and less freedom of choice.

The file sharing restrictions is not a major thing, but it is an annoyance, and just one more of those things that kind of highlights how Apple and it's priorities work. I think you defending the lack of such options because a select few might use such a feature to share illegal content is ridiculous, since the vast majority would still likely use it to share legal content, and there's no real reason they should have to do that with third party apps, jailbreaking or long winded work arounds. But that's just my personal opinion.

30pin adapter finally shipping. Hope somebody with a Hyundai reports that it works with the stereos that use the "y-cable." Still been holding off on selling my 4 / buying a 5.

Ashhong

I thought they pointed out that there was a new connector. Also, to be fair, Samsung couldn't have attacked Maps and got the ad out in the timeframe that they did. There was no way to know what the state was at the time.

But is the orientation of the phone top up or bottom up? Are you saying you don't see how holding your phone and putting it in your pocket leads to the phone being upside down, and pulling it out when it is upside down leads it to be in your hands the correct way to look at it without flipping your phone around 180 degrees?

Alright this is what he means. Take your phone, hold it at the top with your thumb and middle finger tips. Now you can simply drop the phone straight down into your pocket. Just drop it in there.

Now when you pull it out, you have to grab the phone from the top, pull it straight out, and then slightly rotate it into your palm so that it is facing right side up.

I personally don't do this, and always pull the phone out upside down at the gym and it's annoying. Looking forward to the bottom jack on the i5 soon to remedy this.

The problem with Bump is it's not integrated. People seem to forget the advantages of built in integration. Not only does it work better than a stand alone solution, but it gets the message much more across when it's a feature everyone has versus having to go find out about it and download it.

See above. Plus Siri was available in another form on iOS in the form of a third party app like Bump. It didn't take off then, so why use Siri now? Clearly Apple pushing it gets the word out and it being integrated helps a lot.

Yes I know Siri was available prior to Apple buying them, I had the app. That was my point. If Apple saw Bump as something that was really worth their time and worthy of integrating into their iOS/Mac OS family, they would have bought it as they did with Siri.

And I agree completely with it being integrated VS just a random app. Make it part of iOS, EVERY iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch can now share information wirelessly. This is also why I think it's so incredibly stupid that Samsung are marketing the hell out of the feature - it only works with the Galaxy S3! Good luck bumping your phone against every other phone out there, because it won't work. If it had been a universal Android feature, I could understand them hyping it [even though it's still stupid] but it isn't, it's specific to just this one phone.

Will the Galaxy S4 have the feature? Do any other upcoming Samsung devices have it? Or will it be left out and forgotten because it is stupid and nobody uses it.

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to illustrate. Guy is in a board room. He has a PDF on his iPad. He wants everyone else to get the PDF on their iPads to follow along. He turns on AirDrop and so do his colleagues and he pushes the PDF to them. No need for them to all log into DropBox, no need for them to all be bumping their iPads together. He creates a small bubble of wifi magic that connects all the devices together.

I was under the assumption that this is what NFC was. I had no idea the only way to activate NFC on a device (like your phone or your credit card) was to bump it against something else (like the NFC dock at a cash register). I assumed it was either always on, or if I open my Bank Card App, that turns on NFC and lets me wave my card by the receptor. I mean, I've read about more powerful NFC chips that make it so you don't even need to take your device out of your pocket, so I have no idea why a physical connection between devices needs to be made.

How is SMS/MMS/email going to work when trying to talk to a speaker or making a game connection or even making a payment?

Speakers: AirPlay. They already do this and even more are coming. If not AirPlay, then BlueTooth. My iPhone sits in my pocket and beams music and phone calls to my BlueTooth headset and the two devices never once had to touch. I turned on the headphones, entered a code on my iPhone, and that was it.

Game connection: BlueTooth. I load the game. You load the game. It searches for another BlueTooth device running the game. We confirm, and play. Is this not how The Incident works, by using the iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller and the iPad as the screen?

Payments: NFC. Right now, for example, Square has their little card-reader dongle. But I'm sure when iOS devices use NFC, they'll either update the dongle to also have an NFC chip in it for legacy hardware, or do away with the dongle altogether and just use the device's built-in chip.

None of these things require the devices to ever touch one another.

Actually, you haven't had that ability for 5 years - Bump may seem like "the same thing" but it really isn't.

Bump simply listens for movement on the accelerometer to send a request to Bump's servers with the GPS locations of each phone, then anything you share needs to be uploaded from your phone (and most likely via the cellular connection) to their server, and then downloaded back from there onto the target device, using up your mobile data quota. If you don't have a data connection (or if Bump's servers are down), Bump doesn't work. It also has very limited functionality in that you can only use it for the very limited purposes that Bump has envisioned (apparently contact info and photos), whereas NFC can be used by any app on any platform any way they want to use it, as long as both devices have an app that can interpret the tag received over NFC.

I don't know why Bump hasn't taken off. I had never heard of it despite its crossplatformness and I don't know a soul who uses it. But I think you'll be hearing a lot more about NFC in the coming years, and someday Apple will get around to implementing it.
Hahaha holy shit, that's really how Bump works? Wow, that is a convoluted mess. I'd assume it just works that way because of hardware limitations of the older iPhones? It probably never took off because that implementation is terribad. Maybe once the iPhone has NFC Apple will buy it and integrate it properly, but I still would rather AirDrop something than have to clink my phone against another.

Heya fellas, is there already an iPhone 5 version of this wallpaper?

AiHNi.jpg

Top Bottom