• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Doodis

As it is now, 9 of the 10 times I slide over to spotlight, it is in error. It feels so useless right now.

I hate spotlight with a passion because of this. I've never used it once, but slide over to it ALL THE DAMN TIME by accident. Really wish they'd make this a customizable option.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
As it is now, 9 of the 10 times I slide over to spotlight, it is in error. It feels so useless right now.

I'd much rather type the first 3 letters of the app I want to use, than play a game of 'memory' and remember where I put the icon.

Removing it would completely change the way I use the phone.

dream

How do I get rid of Facebook events in the calendar widget in the Notification Centre? Someone invited me to this poncey student art show and it just won't go away. I've deleted the event from the events bit on the actual Facebook site, unticked Facebook Events in the calendar options, resynced the calendar, rebooted the phone and it just won't go away.

That annoyed the shit out of me too. You can disable Facebook events by going into the Facebook settings (in Settings) and unchecking "Calendar" under "Allow These Apps to Use Your Account."

I'd much rather type the first 3 letters of the app I want to use, than play a game of 'memory' and remember where I put the icon.

I have my apps and folders in alphabetical order, and apps inside folders in alphabetical order. Works really well.

Husker86

That's why people want the option.

I'll start giving it a shot for a day or two, but I bet I can find the folder/icon faster than sliding over and typing some of the app name.

Hari Seldon

I never remember the app names I want to use. I prefer to dig through my logically organized folders. I, also, would like the option to disable spotlight.

Vyer

Honestly, I hardly ever use it, but Spotlight does work really well if you have a lot of apps. Particularly on a newer phone, it searches very quickly and I can see how someone who did use it on a regular basis would fly through it.

Even launching apps with Siri is nice, though the slowest option of the 3

subrock

I hate spotlight with a passion because of this. I've never used it once, but slide over to it ALL THE DAMN TIME by accident. Really wish they'd make this a customizable option.

Same, never once used spotlight since it was introduced. Its such an empty and unreliable place.

More people should organize their apps like this.

EAe4Rl.jpg

jPnmjl.jpg

Lw30zl.jpg

8igCbl.jpg

tYebDl.jpg

I ordered the phone (16gb white) on 9/23 from AT&T, and right now the order status is still processing and under tracking number it shows pending shipment. Does anybody know how much longer it's gonna take? Should I just cancel and try a local Apple store?

I did the same thing and still have the same status as you. Almost three weeks now.

Has Apple said anything in regards to an official case?

dyls

I love spotlight. If anything, I wish they put it on the first page for the iPhone 5, rather than a completely unnecessary extra row of icons. My ideal first page would be two rows of apps, spotlight, keyboard. I don't have more than 8 apps that I need instant access to, and I'd rather be able to type immediately so I could search apps, songs, mail, messages, etc.

Zeth

I think they could use the area for tons of other things ie: brightness/wireless widgets. They could keep spotlight and use the single-press from home screen to activate it.

page 1 - apps I actually use daily
page 2 - everything else in folders

LOL i didn't even notice this at first but I use the exact same wallpaper as you guys

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
page 1 - apps I actually use daily
page 2 - everything else in folders

LOL i didn't even notice this at first but I use the exact same wallpaper as you guys
Yep. Well, page 1 is generally many of the useful stock apps and stores that I access more frequently than the stuff in the folders.

And the 8 apps I use most are on my infinidock (Phone/Contacts/Messages/Music/Photos/Camera/Safari/NeoGAF).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My folders are pretty well organized I think.

I like the lockscreen you made, but the wallpaper makes everything seem busy. The extra words are distracting to me a bit.

mr stroke

iPhone 5 Sprint P.S.A.-

If you have a Sprint iPhone 5 and it breaks DO NOT SWAP it at the Apple store for a replacement. I went through a week of hell and 4 different new Sprint iPhone 5's that Apple replaced. None worked and I had no choice but to switch to AT&T :(

Sprint currently can not activate replacement iPhone 5's out of Apple stores for some reason. Tons of other people on Sprints forums are having the same issue. If your Sprint iPhone 5 breaks you are SOL until Sprint can send you a replacement.

Korosenai

So I haven't checked this thread in a while, but has anyone else had problems with their iPhone 5's dying really fast?

Mine dies after about 4 1/2 hours of just normal usage, and my mom's dies after about 4 hours and she doesn't even play any apps or anything.

bionic77

The biggest battery killers seem to be the same: GPS, bluetooth, and games.

With my BT off I usually get between 7-9 hours of usage and 20+ hours of standby, the amount of time I get depends on how much wifi I am getting and signal strength. Don't have consistent access to LTE so I just turn it off (AT&T...).

So I haven't checked this thread in a while, but has anyone else had problems with their iPhone 5's dying really fast?

Mine dies after about 4 1/2 hours of just normal usage, and my mom's dies after about 4 hours and she doesn't even play any apps or anything.

This is indeed a thing. Widely reported. I believe the assumption is LTE. Turn LTE off and see if your phone battery still dies that fast when not in use.

But you must stay within shouting distance of each other right? You can't just bump phones and then leave, correct?

Personally, I don't think bumping phones is a bad idea, but it seems odd how they have decided to market it. Especially considering that Bump has been doing it for years now.

Also, as ElectricBlue187 points out, radio waves. And Internet. The thing I'd really want to share with people I first meet is not a photo, or pirated film, but contact information - and that's probably best done via message or Facebook - then photos, video clips, and what not can be shared through that, like millions of people do per day already. What might be nice is to add bump to the Facebook app, then when you touch phones it asks you if you want level of info you want to share, done.

Adding a Bump-like feature to Facebook would be a good idea, you're right. My main problem is the physical act of bumping the phones together. I cannot picture ever being in a situation where I'm going to share info with someone (contact, photo, movie, whatever) and then one of us has to go, "Ok ready? Go." and we tap our phones together. So awkward.

If NFC was involved, you could each load the Facebook app, and then tap on "share" or something. A list of people in your immediate area that are also running the software in "Share" mode would pop up, and you'd tap the names of the people you want to share with, and the info would be pushed wirelessly to them.

ReconPeon

I was pissed off the other day when I found some very minor scratches on my iphone's screen. After a little research I figured out they are probably in the oleophobic coating. I found some new stuff that is supposed to restore the coating, and I was just wondering if you guys thought it would work. Its called Fusso oleophobic coating.

I was also wondering if someone knew if there was a way to tell if the scratches are in the coating or the screen itself.

Adding a Bump-like feature to Facebook would be a good idea, you're right. My main problem is the physical act of bumping the phones together. I cannot picture ever being in a situation where I'm going to share info with someone (contact, photo, movie, whatever) and then one of us has to go, "Ok ready? Go." and we tap our phones together. So awkward.

The entire bump thing is really the most pointless, stupid shit ever and Samsung should be embarrassed for advertising it as a feature.

Tobor

I was pissed off the other day when I found some very minor scratches on my iphone's screen. After a little research I figured out they are probably in the oleophobic coating. I found some new stuff that is supposed to restore the coating, and I was just wondering if you guys thought it would work. Its called Fusso oleophobic coating.

I was also wondering if someone knew if there was a way to tell if the scratches are in the coating or the screen itself.

Unless you have diamonds in your pocket, the scratches are in the coating.

Marco1

I took off my case to try on another and for once since owning every iphone since the 3G, I realised how refined and beautiful the ip5 is.
I know I opening the phone up for more scratches and damage but I have finally realised that these phones really shouldn't be covered up.
Jony Ives will be pleased!

For those saying bumping is lame, how does NFC work exactly? Is it a tap? Is it a touch? Let's forget the simple thought of bumping, but just the idea of a way of invoking a connection in an easy manner in order to trade a set piece of data. That's what is important out of this and the thing that is useful. If not a bump, how do you invoke the connection and how does NFC work to establish these connections?

What? I don't understand the weird hate Siri gets. How is Siri a gimmick like bumping?

I dont find it useful or the mistakes it makes humorous. It's certainly not the worst thing a phone has ever added, but it's definitely not something I'd list as a feature I had to have when deciding upon a new phone.

I dont find it useful or the mistakes it makes humorous. It's certainly not the worst thing a phone has ever added, but it's definitely not something I'd list as a feature I had to have when deciding upon a new phone.

I wouldn't list Facetime as a feature either since it's something I don't personally use, but that doesn't stop it from being vastly more useful than mashing your phone against someone else's phone for no good reason.

I wouldn't list Facetime as a feature either since it's something I don't personally use, but that doesn't stop it from being vastly more useful than mashing your phone against someone else's phone for no good reason.

Facetime is a feature I dont use. But also can acknowledge that it's a great feature. Siri, nope.

You find there's never ever a reason to trade any type of info between someone ever?

Facetime is a feature I dont use. But also can acknowledge that it's a great feature. Siri, nope.

When Siri was unveiled in their first promo video, it had a great use that turned out to be misleading/fake. It was in the kitchen where it was being your assistant of looking stuff up such as conversions or setting a timer by voice. That turned out to be bogus since you have to activate Siri by hitting the button even though they implied you didn't have to which makes perfect sense when you're cooking with dirty hands.

NYR

Well part of the Siri gimmick is how everyone gets excited over the random useless responses it gives that people find amusing.

Boom. Siri is pretty below average right now, at least 5 to 10 years from being an automated assistant we should have in our phones. Introduced way to soon as a gimmick to sell the 4S.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think Siri would be better if Apple bought WolframAlpha or something.

I just see it as a "that's cool I guess" kind of feature.

Top Bottom