• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Argyle

Adding a Bump-like feature to Facebook would be a good idea, you're right. My main problem is the physical act of bumping the phones together. I cannot picture ever being in a situation where I'm going to share info with someone (contact, photo, movie, whatever) and then one of us has to go, "Ok ready? Go." and we tap our phones together. So awkward.

If NFC was involved, you could each load the Facebook app, and then tap on "share" or something. A list of people in your immediate area that are also running the software in "Share" mode would pop up, and you'd tap the names of the people you want to share with, and the info would be pushed wirelessly to them.

I think you have no idea how NFC works.

NFC has a range that is measured in inches (as in less than 1 inch). The bump is how you make an NFC connection.

The way you would share something on Facebook with NFC would be to load the Facebook app on your phone, and then tap them together. The other phone would recognize it as a Facebook link and auto launch Facebook and receive the data.

Facetime is a feature I dont use. But also can acknowledge that it's a great feature. Siri, nope.

It's not what it will be or what people want it to be, but for setting up reminders, quickly looking up numbers or making calls, it's just fine. Again, still more useful than the bump thing.

You find there's never ever a reason to trade any type of info between someone ever?

You find that the only way to share information with someone is to bump a piece of electronics against theirs? People must get annoyed when you bring out your laptop.

What's the good use/case for that? *serious question

I, and many others, put their phone in their pocket upside down. By having the jack at the bottom, it's at the top when it's in your pocket.

You find that the only way to share information with someone is to bump a piece of electronics against theirs? People must get annoyed when you bring out your laptop.

No, of course there are other ways, but shouldn't you as an Apple fan appreciate the idea of ease of use, and it just works? You can totally jump through hoops to do something, but Apple's method is to make things easy to the end user. Tapping to trade a photo fits that concept rather than jumping through hoops to do so. Hell anyone who understands the Apple eco system on how great it is to share things easily across devices should understand this. It's sorta like cloud sync across devices is nice for people, except in this case, it's an easy way to share something with someone else. I find it hard to believe that people see this as being pointless or can't imagine a use case for this let alone the fact that touching two things together to handle most of the work isn't by far an easier solution.

It's not what it will be or what people want it to be, but for setting up reminders, quickly looking up numbers or making calls, it's just fine. Again, still more useful than the bump thing.

I've never used the bump thing so I can't comment. I imagine if I was in a thread about that particular phone, those people would speak highly of it.

Mairu

I, and many others put their phone in their pocket upside down. By having the jack at the bottom, it's at the top when it's in your pocket.

Additionally, if you use your phone in your car and your stereo doesn't have a usb port but has an aux port, it's easier to manage the cables when they're not coming out both sides of the phone.

I can't really think of a reason where I'd want to use NFC/bumping for transferring stuff between phones that wouldn't be any easier or better just using email or texting. I also find Siri to be useful for alarms, reminders, and making calls... and I don't think I'm ever going to use FaceTime so I don't really care that I don't get it with my AT&T unlimited plan.

this_guy

I, and many others, put their phone in their pocket upside down. By having the jack at the bottom, it's at the top when it's in your pocket.

I put my phone in my pocket right side up. If people are listening to music with their headphones connected to the phone, wouldn't they just turn the phone in any direction necessary to have the headphone jack up?

I think NFC is a useful feature, I just think bumping to share a playlist, a movie or pictures isn't that useful. Don't most people share their media via services like Spotify, Youtube and Facebook? That being said I still think the GS3 commercial should've showed someone paying for something by using their phone as a credit card using NFC.

This is a strange iPhone 5 thread.

Additionally, if you use your phone in your car and your stereo doesn't have a usb port but has an aux port, it's easier to manage the cables when they're not coming out both sides of the phone.

I can't really think of a reason where I'd want to use NFC/bumping for transferring stuff between phones that wouldn't be any easier or better just using email or texting. I also find Siri to be useful for alarms, reminders, and making calls... and I don't think I'm ever going to use FaceTime so I don't really care that I don't get it with my AT&T unlimited plan.

You don't see how simply just touching a phone to initiate the communication is easier than going through the hoop of writing a text or composing an email?

I put my phone in my pocket right side up. If people are listening to music with their headphones connected to the phone, wouldn't they just turn the phone in any direction necessary to have the headphone jack up?

So you like flipping your phone around before putting it in your pocket? Hold your phone in your hand and then put your hand in your pocket. Now reach down, and grab your phone to pull it up and look at it. You don't understand how that's an easier and quicker way to use and put away your phone?

I think NFC is a useful feature, I just think bumping to share a playlist, a movie or pictures isn't that useful. Don't most people share most of their media via services like Spotify, Youtube and Facebook? That being said I still think the GS3 commercial should've showed someone paying for something by using their phone as a credit card using NFC.

This is a strange iPhone 5 thread.

I know I keep going back to the photo situation, but the examples of photo sharing works for me with family. If my sister takes a picture of me and my family, she could easily just give me the photo right then and there. I can't tell you how many times family members take pictures and then say I'll send it to you later and then it doesn't happen. Or if my wife takes a picture of me and my girl, she can easily give it to me on my phone. Photo sharing that's easy shouldn't be hard to grasp.

Argyle

I've never used the bump thing so I can't comment. I imagine if I was in a thread about that particular phone, those people would speak highly of it.

Yes, all the griping about "bumping phones together, so awkward" strikes me as pretty typical gadget rationalization when a competing device has a feature that your device doesn't have - "because my device does not have this, I do not use it, therefore it is useless"

I don't use NFC all the time but when I do, it has been convenient (buying stuff at 7-11 with my phone, sending web and YouTube links from my phone to my tablet).

this_guy

You don't see how simply just touching a phone to initiate the communication is easier than going through the hoop of writing a text or composing an email?

So you like flipping your phone around before putting it in your pocket? Hold your phone in your hand and then put your hand in your pocket. Now reach down, and grab your phone to pull it up and look at it. You don't understand how that's an easier and quicker way to use and put away your phone?

I grab my phone by the sides, and just drop it in my pocket. I also take my phone out of my pocket by grabbing by the sides and pulling straight up. It's not difficult.

Yes, all the griping about "bumping phones together, so awkward" strikes me as pretty typical gadget rationalization when a competing device has a feature that your device doesn't have - "because my device does not have this, I do not use it, therefore it is useless"

I don't use NFC all the time but when I do, it has been convenient (buying stuff at 7-11 with my phone, sending web and YouTube links from my phone to my tablet).

Yeah, I don't think I'm your typical fan. I dont look at stuff that other devices have and label them shit. I'm envious of stuff other people have that my device doesn't. I have no idea about bumping though. If it means I could transfer a podcast really quickly to a friend, I'd be all for it. Specifically because downloading 100 meg files via LTE is fast, but uses up a huge chunk of the data plan.

You just named useful things you do with NFC that have nothing to do with smashing your phone against someone else's. It's like you absolutely missed the point in an effort to call people fanboys.

No, of course there are other ways, but shouldn't you as an Apple fan appreciate the idea of ease of use, and it just works? You can totally jump through hoops to do something, but Apple's method is to make things easy to the end user. Tapping to trade a photo fits that concept rather than jumping through hoops to do so. Hell anyone who understands the Apple eco system on how great it is to share things easily across devices should understand this. It's sorta like cloud sync across devices is nice for people, except in this case, it's an easy way to share something with someone else. I find it hard to believe that people see this as being pointless or can't imagine a use case for this let alone the fact that touching two things together to handle most of the work isn't by far an easier solution.

Easier doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Moving my arms like a chicken to add someone to my Facebook would technically be easier than logging in to search for them, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Even you have to be able to understand that.

If you turn off Siri does it go back to using the 4's voice command stuff?
Seems like Siri takes fucking forever (> the 5 seconds it took before) to dial someone I tell her to.

Mairu

But we've had it. Didn't they use to promote Bump in commercials?

I'd totally use NFC for buying stuff but I don't know why I'd bother with bumping devices together. I don't see any "hoops" in having to take a picture and click the share button. I mean, I'm not going to send playlists to people anyways since most people I know just use spotify, and we don't need to do anything special on the phones to share playlists.

I grab my phone by the sides, and just drop it in my pocket. I also take my phone out of my pocket by grabbing by the sides and pulling straight up. It's not difficult.

Having the headphone jack on the bottom means that the wire from the headphones never hangs in front of your screen while you look at your phone, it's really just that simple. This is just something else that Marty is making ten times more complicated than it has to be.

Easier doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Moving my arms like a chicken to add someone to my Facebook would technically be easier than logging in to search for them, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Even you have to be able to understand that.

Sorry but I don't find it stupid to have a method where you can exchange data with someone that handles most of the handshaking and communication for you. Forget bumping. Find some method where you can do this and I'm okay with it. It's no different than going to a store and touching your phone to a slab or something to pay for your goods. You just touch it to something to initiate the communication. Plus is it really any more lame than pulling your phone out to scan at a store for Passbook? The point of all of this is to handle most of the work for you to make it easy to use. You could just type everything into your phone but some find Siri to be useful. You could type in a url that someone sent you but some people find copy and paste to be easier.

Having the headphone jack on the bottom means that the wire from the headphones never hangs in front of your screen while you look at your phone, it's really just that simple. This is just something else that Marty is making ten times more complicated than it has to be.

What? I was defending the jack being on the bottom..... sounds to me like you're not reading.

Tobor

My pockets aren't super tight where that's a problem, so that doesn't change how I put my phone in my pocket. All I'm saying is it's not a big deal which side the headphone jack is located.

Ok, so what? Apple isn't making a big deal out of it.

Apple hasn't marketed or advertised the headphone jack. The only company talking about the iPhone 5 headphone jack is Samsung.

Apple's too busy talking about how they magically designed a screen that fits every single person in the world's thumb. And touting panoramic picture taking...oy.

Mairu

Ok, so what? Apple isn't making a big deal out of it.

The only person making a big deal about the headphone jack being on the bottom is the fictional characters in the Galaxy S3 commercial. So yeah... Samsung is making a big deal out of it while Apple isn't

this_guy

Apple hasn't marketed or advertised the headphone jack. The only company talking about the iPhone 5 headphone jack is Samsung.

I think the commercial Apple is showing the size of your thumb - at the end of the commerical they plug the headphone jack in. I noticed it after seeing that Samsung commerical.

For full disclosure, I'm currently using an Android phone (HTC EVO LTE), I also tried Windows phone 7 for 6 months (HTC Radar), and I use an iPad 3. I try to keep an open mind with all of the OS's. I think the iPhone is a great phone and many of my friends use it, but for now I prefer Android's ability to customize your phone.

The only person making a big deal about the headphone jack being on the bottom is the fictional characters in the Galaxy S3 commercial. So yeah... Samsung is making a big deal out of it while Apple isn't

The ad isn't making fun of Apple ads. It's making fun of Apple fanboys. Apple fanboys were definitely rejoicing about the movement of the headphone jack. That's a clear shot at them, as is most of the rest of the ad. I loved the ad the first 5-10 times. But pieces of it have aired constantly during NFL games the past couple of weeks, and now I want to poke my eyes out. The horrendous Jeff Bridges Apple ads make me want to do the same though.

What? I was defending the jack being on the bottom..... sounds to me like you're not reading.

You're making it about some weird pocket orientation thing and not just that it makes more sense to move it to the bottom so it isn't hanging in your way.

It's like having a conversation with Siri except that she actually seem to understand what I say once in a great while.

The ad isn't making fun of Apple ads. It's making fun of Apple fanboys. Apple fanboys were definitely rejoicing about the movement of the headphone jack. That's a clear shot at them, as is most of the rest of the ad. I loved the ad the first 5-10 times. But pieces of it have aired constantly during NFL games the past couple of weeks, and now I want to poke my eyes out. The horrendous Jeff Bridges Apple ads make me want to do the same though.

I don't think you understand the difference between "oh shit, headphone jack movement!!!" and "oh yeah, about time, that makes sense." I heard a lot of the latter but I doubt much of the former happened outside of anyone's imagination.

You're making it about some weird pocket orientation thing and not just that it makes more sense to move it to the bottom so it isn't hanging in your way.

It's like having a conversation with Siri except that she actually seem to understand what I say once in a great while.

Are you even following? I'm saying based on normal pocket sizes which tend to be more deep than wide, it's completely reasonable for someone to have it in their pocket vertically rather than horizontal. Since it's vertical, based on how you hold the phone, it's totally reasonable to put it in upside down. Not sure how you had trouble following that path other than the fact that you weren't reading and jumping to conclusions.

It's as if you have no idea how NFC works and don't understand why "smashing your phone against someone else's" is necessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication

Selling NFC as smashing your phone against someone else's to share a playlist is as stupid as selling Siri by having an actress ask her phone if it's raining outside.

That's really the only analogy I have to make you understand what's being said here, so I hope it works.

Are you even following? I'm saying based on normal pocket sizes which tend to be more deep than wide, it's completely reasonable for someone to have it in their pocket vertically rather than horizontal. Since it's vertical, based on how you hold the phone, it's totally reasonable to put it in upside down. Not sure how you had trouble following that path other than the fact that you weren't reading and jumping to conclusions.

You're still over explaining this. Watching you work is magical sometimes.

this_guy

I hope you don't think I that when I said I grabbed my phone by the sides and drop it in my pocket, I don't put the phone in horizontally.

I know I keep going back to the photo situation, but the examples of photo sharing works for me with family. If my sister takes a picture of me and my family, she could easily just give me the photo right then and there. I can't tell you how many times family members take pictures and then say I'll send it to you later and then it doesn't happen. Or if my wife takes a picture of me and my girl, she can easily give it to me on my phone. Photo sharing that's easy shouldn't be hard to grasp.

I'm sure it's useful to some people, like you and your family, but I imagine to the majority of people it's easier to just use a service like Facebook/iCloud/Google+ or if it's really just one photo you may as well send an MMS/iMessage. That being said I'm all for adding more features to phones even if they seem useless to me and like I said in my earlier post NFC definitely can be very useful.

You're still over explaining this. Watching you work is magical sometimes.

Doesn't it have to if someone can't understand why someone might like it at the bottom? He couldn't fathom why the phone was in a pocket upside down since he has it on the side.

I hope you don't think I that when I said I grabbed my phone by the sides and drop it in my pocket, I don't put the phone in horizontally.

Sorry, but I did think you meant you put it horizontally when you said your phone is on the side. If I misunderstood you, could you clarify then? What is the orientation of the phone in your pocket?

I'm sure it's useful to some people, like you and your family, but I imagine to the majority of people it's easier to just use a service like Facebook/iCloud/Google+ or if it's really just one photo you may as well send an MMS/iMessage. That being said I'm all for adding more features to phones even if they seem useless to me and like I said in my earlier post NFC definitely can be very useful.

Not just family though, but friends as well. Friends don't share photos? Not everything has to be public and you saying just use a service seems to be more public access to things. Yes I know the services allow limited viewing, but there's something about sharing a private data without going through a service. I can see how someone might not use it, but I don't see how people think that this is so useless. How about a game? You touch your phone together and you two are now connected in a game?

Mairu

I know the intention of the advertisement but nobody's making a big deal about the headphone jack on the bottom other than that advertisement.

Argyle

Selling NFC as smashing your phone against someone else's to share a playlist is as stupid as selling Siri by having an actress ask her phone if it's raining outside.

That's really the only analogy I have to make you understand what's being said here, so I hope it works.

I don't recall talking about ads and selling things?

.GqueB.

Banned
Damn, you guys have a lot of apps.

I barely have two pages with of apps, none in folders.

Some people (myself included) just download apps just to have them or because they seem like a good idea at the time. I often have to delete all the useless apps I've downloaded throughout the month. I used to have netflix on my phone since I thought it was a good idea. I quickly realized that I'm rarely in a position to even utilize it. When I'm traveling I'm not alone and when I'm home I can just watch on my television.

And that screenshot has akinator on it. I can't imagine a world where I would use that more than once every 3 months. .

I know the intention of the advertisement but nobody's making a big deal about the headphone jack on the bottom other than that advertisement.

The point I believe Samsung is trying to make is that Apple's iterations add very little in the way of great features to their phones. The big changes being a screen that's smaller than their S3, a new headphone jack placement etc etc. I think the ad fails, because that's such a small thing. They could have pointed out how no ones accessories are going to work anymore without a 30 dollar(!!!) add-on from Apple, or the fact that Apple dumped a great maps program and replaced it with a shitty one of their own. As an ad it definitely works, but it's not exactly high-minded. It knows who it wants to target with it's humor, and it does so very well. Not sure how well it sells S3s though. Next ad should show Apple users driving off bridges while following Maps directions.

Breaking news: this phone is really slim and light.

And based on drop tests, scratchable but indestructible. Whereas the S3 in drop tests literally falls to pieces.

this_guy

Sorry, but I did think you meant you put it horizontally when you said your phone is on the side. If I misunderstood you, could you clarify then? What is the orientation of the phone in your pocket?

I drop my phone in my front pocket vertically, screen facing away from me. Location of the headphone jack has always been on top. Also at the gym doing cardio, I keep my phone in the cup holder right in front of me. Phone sits vertically facing me right side up with the headset jack. Top or bottom wouldn't matter because I would just turn my phone which ever to have the jack on top.

The point I believe Samsung is trying to make is that Apple's iterations add very little in the way of great features to their phones. The big changes being a screen that's smaller than their S3, a new headphone jack placement etc etc. I think the ad fails, because that's such a small thing. They could have pointed out how no ones accessories are going to work anymore without a 30 dollar(!!!) add-on from Apple, or the fact that Apple dumped a great maps program and replaced it with a shitty one of their own. As an ad it definitely works, but it's not exactly high-minded. It knows who it wants to target with it's humor, and it does so very well. Not sure how well it sells S3s though. Next ad should show Apple users driving off bridges while following Maps directions.

And based on drop tests, scratchable but indestructible. Whereas the S3 in drop tests literally falls to pieces.

I thought they pointed out that there was a new connector. Also, to be fair, Samsung couldn't have attacked Maps and got the ad out in the timeframe that they did. There was no way to know what the state was at the time.

I drop my phone in my front pocket vertically, screen facing away from me. Location of the headphone jack has always been on top. Also at the gym doing cardio, I keep my phone in the cup holder right in front of me. Phone sits vertically facing me right side up with the headset jack. Top or bottom wouldn't matter because I would just turn my phone which ever to have the jack on top.

But is the orientation of the phone top up or bottom up? Are you saying you don't see how holding your phone and putting it in your pocket leads to the phone being upside down, and pulling it out when it is upside down leads it to be in your hands the correct way to look at it without flipping your phone around 180 degrees?

Mairu

I'm not sure why you're going on so much about the commercial. I only brought it up because it's the only example I can think of that talked about the headphone jack relocation as a major feature.

I thought they pointed out that there was a new connector. Also, to be fair, Samsung couldn't have attacked Maps and got the ad out in the timeframe that they did. There was no way to know what the state was at the time.

Oh you're right. They mock how Apple is good at connectors or something. Forgot about that. Lately every version of the ad I see is about bumping. Apparently that's the most effective portion for them. That and the fact that iPhone is now synonymous with old, uninformed people that think you wait in line to buy apps.

I'm not sure why you're going on so much about the commercial. I only brought it up because it's the only example I can think of that talked about the headphone jack relocation as a major feature.

I pointed out its in the ad because the ad is a direct reflection of what was seen on Apple fansites during the iPhone 5 unveiling. For whatever reason the move of the headphones jack was a big deal. I personally don't care. I prefer it on top simply because in bed I rest my handhelds on a pillow on my chest, and when it's on the bottom it makes having headphones plugged in a problem. Notably on the Vita and 3DS.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Not just family though, but friends as well. Friends don't share photos? Not everything has to be public and you saying just use a service seems to be more public access to things. Yes I know the services allow limited viewing, but there's something about sharing a private data without going through a service. I can see how someone might not use it, but I don't see how people think that this is so useless. How about a game? You touch your phone together and you two are now connected in a game?

I have to agree with you here.
My family and my close friends don't really use social networks.
This seems like something quick and easy and we wouldn't forget later on to email us something we wanted.

Mairu

Oh you're right. They mock how Apple is good at connectors or something. Forgot about that. Lately every version of the ad I see is about bumping. Apparently that's the most effective portion for them. That and the fact that iPhone is now synonymous with old, uninformed people that think you wait in line to buy apps.

I pointed out its in the ad because the ad is a direct reflection of what was seen on Apple fansites during the iPhone 5 unveiling. For whatever reason the move of the headphones jack was a big deal. I personally don't care. I prefer it on top simply because in bed I rest my handhelds on a pillow on my chest, and when it's on the bottom it makes having headphones plugged in a problem. Notably on the Vita and 3DS.

A direct reflection? The advertisement is not that intelligent. It's a massive exaggeration made to sell a competing product.

I don't really care that the jack is on the bottom instead of the top now either. I do like the new connector and it definitely makes me wish every single cable was reversible though :D

Top Bottom