• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm still on my 4, so I'll probably take the upgrade. Looking forward to it!

Cloudy

Banned
Holy shit you should be slapped for putting that fugly thing over an iPhone.

I had this for my 4s but it seems they don't have it for 5 lol

Otterbox-Impact-Series-Case-iPhone-4.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Hands on

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-hands-on-12247082/

In short, it’s a beautifully constructed, cohesive combination of design and materials: even if you’re not an iOS fan, you’ll have to appreciate the package Apple has put together. If, though, you are an iOS lover – and there are plenty of them around – then the iPhone 5 is easily the best model yet. It’s the significant refresh many were hoping of the iPhone 4S, and it’s going to sell like wildfire.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6283/iphone-5-hands-on-pics-and-video

Overall after our short time with the iPhone 5 I'm very positive about the end result. The combination of new silicon and LTE alongside display and camera improvements craft a very positive outlook for Apple's iPhone line.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/iphone-5-hands-on-crazy-light-great-screen-super-powerful

Overall, though, the iPhone 5 looks like a winner. It crams a lot of powerful new features into a first-class design that people will be clamoring for.

http://www.cnet.com/<br/>http://www.cnet.com/smartphones/apple-iphone-5/4505-6452_7-35022502.html

Is this the iPhone you've been looking for?
During very brief hands-on time with the iPhone 5, this much is clear: it's the weight you'll remember more than its thinner profile. The iPhone 4S is already a svelte device: most people probably won't spot the difference if they see the new iPhone from the side.

The screen size, also, is more of a subtle improvement. This isn't a jaw-dropping leap from the iPhone 4S: it's a gradual increase, done almost so cleverly that the front face of the iPhone 5 might, with the screen turned off, look very much like the iPhone 4S. The proof will be in the pudding for how app developers and iOS 6 take full advantage of that extra screen real estate, but the bottom line is this: more screen size and more pixels are good things.

The real killer app on this phone -- no surprise -- might be the iPhone's 4G LTE, as well as the promised battery life. If data speeds and battery life can live up to the promises, those alone will make many want to upgrade.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-hands-on-video-details/

At long last, the iPhone 5. We just got our hands on Apple's latest smartphone following its unveiling in San Francisco, and suffice it to say, it's a beautiful thing. Some might say we've been waiting for this moment since October 4th of last year, but another crowd may say that the real next-gen iPhone has been on the burner for much longer. Indeed, this is the first iPhone since June of 2010 to showcase an entirely new design, but it's obvious that Apple's not going to deviate far when it comes to aesthetics.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3321628/iphone-5-hands-on
It's obvious that the iPhone 5 shares the same design language as the iPhone 4 and 4S before it, and it's clear that Apple was very careful when it came to modifying that chassis. Jony Ive said so himself during the event. There are plenty of improvements, but there are also a lot of similarities.

... but we warned by a reliable source

My predictions for the keynote:

Everyone on the internet will be massively disappointed, feign self righteous outrage, and proclaim the fall of Apple.
Yeah, then we can look forward to all the click-baiting, hit-whoring " new iPhone a disappointment" , "has Apple lost its way", "where's the innovation?", "Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave", "iPhone: 10 things Apple should have done", articles, along with some manufactured "controversy" or "flaw" to be sensationalized and made the story of the century.

Seth C

Otterboxes emphasize functionality over aesthetics. You might as well be holding a glass bottle iPhones are so breakable.

Going on 4 years of naked iPhone use and I've still never managed to break one. Of course, I'm a reasonably responsible adult.

I'm still on my 4, so I'll probably take the upgrade. Looking forward to it!
Or you could wait. I'm on my 4 and for the first time in five years I'm not anxious to upgrade my phone. I'm considering skipping the upgrade this year and wait for the next. My 4 is in no way feeling old or painful or even too thick.

eastmen

Banned
To be fair Greyface they do this to everything. You know how many articles i've read on the fall of MS in the last few months or the fall of nokia or the fall of samsung and so on and so forth.

The iphone has a few nice things going for it but 1) its only a 4 inch screen and 2) still no removable battery / sd media

So for me its still a no go . I can still see why many would want it though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That's pretty BS and you know it. I live in NYC and the only place I've seen that actively uses NFC is Macy's. Hell, I see more retailers supporting Square. Maybe in a few years it'll be better, but right now, I can't imagine a time I would ever use it (it's only as good as the places that implement it, which is definitely sparse right now).
Sorry, I don't know it. I live in the suburbs of Philly and I see many more places supporting it than that. And I know for a fact that some of same stores down here are supporting it in NYC as well. McDonald's, CVS, Rite-Aid, Duane Reade, Old Navy, Whole Foods, etc. They're not actively advertising it, but keep your eyes open and you'll be surprised how many stores offer Paypass or one of the similar NFC compatible terminals. In a lot of cases, these places have had the terminals already in place for a year or more.

This is established tech, the terminals aren't in "beta" or anything like that. They're ready, robust and available. All they lack is a large enough customer base to justify wider distribution. And that was my larger point: if Apple had offered NFC with the iPhone 5, you could almost have guaranteed that lots more retailers would have jumped on Paypass terminals or the like within months.

People felt 3G added to the 3G was long overdue and should have been in the original iPhone. Even then, I'm not pointing out 3G in the 3G. I think the app store was the huge feature for the iPhone 3G. I'd even go as far as say as LTE is weakened because of how carriers limit it to the end user with their caps. What's the point of all that speed if you don't really get to use it? So you can hit your cap faster? Even with all that in mind, LTE is certainly a nice feature to have but at this point in time, every phone has LTE so it comes to no surprise that they were going to include it here. This shouldn't be a shocker at all. The shocker would have been if they didn't include it.

Like Siri? =)

I think Siri and the huge camera improvements in the S were much more substantial than the announcement of the 5 personally. A6? Meaningless unless you care about the numbers game. LTE? It had better be there at this point in time of the market. Bigger screen? Probably the biggest deal, and I like many others feel it was a wasted opportunity even though I understand Apple's reasoning for the route that they went. I feel the extra real estate given is being under utilized at the moment and really wish some of the surprises from Apple at this event was how iOS6 would take advantage of that extra space.

How much have you spent on apps that you feel so tied down to one platform at 99 cents an app?

uh... you don't wanna know. Since I bought a 3G how many years back... probably $400+?

I guess it isn't that much over a few years. Shit adds up!

LordCanti

Or you could wait. I'm on my 4 and for the first time in five years I'm not anxious to upgrade my phone. I'm considering skipping the upgrade this year and wait for the next. My 4 is in no way feeling old or painful or even too thick.

If I can get $200 for my IP4, it's basically a free upgrade to the IP5. I'd be paying for the data plan anyway even if I was still on the IP4, so there's no reason not to upgrade.

Juice

Ugh, I'm going to be traveling around 9/21. If I ship to myself and ultimately don't get the package for a few days, my existing iPhone 4S won't magically shut off, will it? I remember my iPhone 4 activating itself and my old phone was disabled before I could even open the new one.

Juice

When do the preorders start Friday? 12:01am?

Sprint has announced 12:01 pacific. It's possible apple is doing the same. In the past apple has started online preorders at 5am eastern and later (between 10 and 11 am eastern).

I imagine apples preorder page will go up when it's ready. They're juggling half a dozen critical dates and probably need the flexibility to be able to delay a few hours if the servers aren't ready.

jambo

My iPhone 4 contract is finally running out, but I'm not that impressed with the 5.

I'm thinking either a Galaxy SIII 4G or a Lumia 920.

Tobor

You have a magic iPhone 4, Marty. I need an upgrade.

jerry1594

Never broken one. Never used a case. It really defeats the purpose of buying a light thin phone to put all that rubber on it.

Fair enough. Many people are just careless I suppose. Although my iPod Touch fell a whopping two feet into a pile of gravel and the screen cracked pretty badly. And I don't really feel the same way if said rubber isn't going to weigh it down. I think paying upwards $20 dollars for one is fucking ridiculous.

bonesquad

If I can get $200 for my IP4, it's basically a free upgrade to the IP5. I'd be paying for the data plan anyway even if I was still on the IP4, so there's no reason not to upgrade.

I feel the same way:( That's the biggest reason why I'll probably cave and get a 5. I'm actually ok with my 4. It doesn't feel old or outdated just yet (unlike the 3G at my two year mark). Still, my contract expired over two months ago now and I've been paying that high fee without any of it going towards subsidizing a phone. Feels almost like throwing money away...

Sprint has announced 12:01 pacific. It's possible apple is doing the same. In the past apple has started online preorders at 5am eastern and later (between 10 and 11 am eastern).

I imagine apples preorder page will go up when it's ready. They're juggling half a dozen critical dates and probably need the flexibility to be able to delay a few hours if the servers aren't ready.
been looking around for Sprint info. I'm ready for it

I like to be eligible for the full version upgrade instead of the S version. As far as the contract goes, it's cheap due to being part of a family plan.
Damn iPhone auto correct. :) I actually sort of feel the same way but I'm just so underwhelmed by today's announcement that I don't feel compelled to upgrade. So I'm torn.

Zeth

Lol, lots of new Gazelle commercials tonigh, new slogan is "What's your iPhone worth".

And Borderlands 2... at least we can all agree on that, right?

LordCanti

Im going caseless for the 5 with Apple Care+.

Fuck putting a case on such a nice looking phone :)

Does Apple Care cover a new phone, no questions asked? If so, I'd weigh that option against buying another fifty dollar case.

Edit: I googled. $100 so that I can pay $50 for them to repair my iPhone if I break it. $150 to repair a phone that expensive isn't bad I guess... mmm.....

Top Bottom