• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Quick

Banned
It's so liberating going case-less. It was weird at first since you really feel the phone's lightness, and it could freak you out since it may seem fragile, but then you get the hang of it. It works out just fine in regular use, unless you throw it around without a care.

itunes on mac looks awesome, I'm really surprised how well it turned out, makes the current one look like dog shit

I'm also wondering where the iPhone 5 dock is

Does Apple Care cover a new phone, no questions asked? If so, I'd weigh that option against buying another fifty dollar case.

Edit: I googled. $100 so that I can pay $50 for them to repair my iPhone if I break it. $150 to repair a phone that expensive isn't bad I guess... mmm.....

It only costs $200 to replace a phone though. So if you know you're going to break the phone once every two years, then you'll save $50. If not, and you break it once out of two phones, you've lost money. Apple Care+ isn't worth the money and you're better off just risking it breaking unless you know you're a clumsy and will likely break the phone during your two years.

It's so liberating going case-less. It was weird at first since you really feel the phone's lightness, and it could freak you out since it may seem fragile, but then you get the hang of it. It works out just fine in regular use, unless you throw it around without a care.

It was such a struggle for me to switch to a bumper case. I loved the feel of the caseless 4S, I think it feels just amazing in the hand, but I would never want to risk it.

RevoDS

I'd get a case, just because anodized aluminum scratches incredibly easily

That's not quite a good reason in my experience...

My current phone has been in a case for most of the last two years; when the case broke and I threw it away, the phone had all kinds of marks and scratches in the back. It's barely had any new scratch since then.

Sure, perhaps it scratches easily, but I don't think a case is any help for that (though it might hide the scratches, it won't prevent them)

Sobriquet

It only costs $200 to replace a phone though. So if you know you're going to break the phone once every two years, then you'll save $50. If not, and you break it once out of two phones, you've lost money. Apple Care+ isn't worth the money and you're better off just risking it breaking unless you know you're a clumsy and will likely break the phone during your two years.

Isn't a replacement from $449 - $649?

LordCanti

When you aren't upgrade eligible it is. You could break your phone on day one, and have to pay $600 to replace it. Apparently this isn't true, which invalidates most of what is below.

$100 is pretty nutty for a two year extended warranty though. It's really $150, since it costs $50 per repair, so..mm... 25% or so of the cost of an unlocked iPhone 5.

By comparison, if you bought a $1000 TV, there's no way you'd pay a reputable warranty company $250 for two years of coverage. Then again, I guess people are more careful with a stationary TV than they are with a phone that goes with them everywhere.

Blackhead

Redarse

When you aren't upgrade eligible it is. You could break your phone on day one, and have to pay $600 to replace it.

$100 is pretty nutty for a two year extended warranty though. It's really $150, since it costs $50 per repair, so..mm... 25% or so of the cost of an unlocked iPhone 5.

By comparison, if you bought a $1000 TV, there's no way you'd pay a reputable warranty company $250 for two years of coverage.

No, if you damage your phone Apple will offer to 'fix' (i.e. replace it) for $200.

If you break your phone and don't take it to the Apple store, it'll be $450-$600

NB: if the phone is stolen or lost, Apple won't replace it for $200 (or $50 if you bought the $100 protection plan). Applecare+ isn't insurance.

At the time when the new AppleCare+ plan was announced, if you broke the front screen/glass, it was a $200 repair from Apple. Apple's solution to such a repair was to pretty much replace the whole phone at that point. So if you drop your phone, it's a $200 repair charge without any warranty coverage. Thus, you only save $50 and you have to pay $100 upfront.

LordCanti

At the time when the new AppleCare+ plan was announced, if you broke the front screen/glass, it was a $200 repair from Apple. Apple's solution to such a repair was to pretty much replace the whole phone at that point. So if you drop your phone, it's a $200 repair charge without any warranty coverage. Thus, you only save $50 and you have to pay $100 upfront.

Is that policy official, or do I just have to hope that they honor it in the event that I break my phone?

Dunk#7

I treat all my electronics with extreme care, but I would still be far too worried about cracking the screen or ending up with a terrible scratch to go caseless.

I always go on eBay and buy the $5 otterbox imitation since otterbox can't seem to offer one in green/black

I like the piece of mind to know that if my phone slips out of my hand or falls out of my pocket I don't have to have a heart attack about damage.

For the record I think I have only dropped my phone once or twice but still not worth the risk.

I really wish I could convince myself to go caseless because it looks so much better, but I focus more on the functionality and the case does not effect that.

No, if you damage your phone Apple will offer to 'fix' (i.e. replace it) for $200.

If you break your phone and don't take it to the Apple store, it'll be $450-$600

NB: if the phone is stolen or lost, Apple won't replace it for $200 (or $50 if you bought the $100 protection plan). Applecare+ isn't insurance.

Just don't get third party insurance like this guy.

Wow, do you actually actively use all $400 worth still?

probably not lol. It's been like 4 years since 3G, $100 a year isn't that hard to spend :/

And I'm a sucker for Square stuff which tend to get a bit pricey.

I guess I probably could go to Android, but at this point, there really is no 'holy shit' feature that would get me to switch.

I think we pretty much reached a peak for smartphones. Wasn't jelly bean just some performance improvements and a few little things?

Soybean

I've gone caseless with the iPhone 4 and it's been awesome. It keeps the phone thin and you can enjoy its size and beauty. It's fallen out of my pocket onto tile or concrete at least 4 times without breaking either glass panel (this has only happened while I was sitting down, so the fall was only as high as your average chair).

What if the internals also break? Point taken though, that the most likely thing to break is the screen and paying $100 upfront to hedge against having to pay $200 later is dumb.

That is an epic thread backfire if I've ever seen one.

Heh if it's just an internal thing, break the screen :)

probably not lol. It's been like 4 years since 3G, $100 a year isn't that hard to spend :/

And I'm a sucker for Square stuff which tend to get a bit pricey.

I guess I probably could go to Android, but at this point, there really is no 'holy shit' feature that would get me to switch.

I think we pretty much reached a peak for smartphones. Wasn't jelly bean just some performance improvements and a few little things?

Ya I could see no real feature to switch but I just think the investment in apps argument isn't nearly as valid as people think.

aparisi2274

bummer, no iPhone 5 for me.

I am still under my 2yr contract with my 4S, and if I do an early update, I think AT&T wants to charge me like $350 for the 16gb iPhone 5.

NO THANKS!!!

Slavik81

If Apple Care were worth it, Apple wouldn't be able to sell it. It wouldn't make money.
While I tend to be a fan of self-insuring for small things like this, for a lot of people a potential unexpected $600 loss is far worse than an known $100 loss.

That said, it does seem to be a pretty terrible deal.

Soybean

I'm always tempted by AppleCare+, but then I remember the $50 deductible. That's madness. For my iPhone 4 I did get a third party (SquareTrade) warranty and I did have to replace it due to some internal problem, but will that happen again? I don't know! I do go caseless after all.

Wubby

I definitely think I'll wait this one out. I don't see any real reason to upgrade to this from my 4S as it's plenty fast enough for me.

Anyone else in Japan stuck with Softbank and their shitty selection of phones? It's basically iPhone or nothing. Want to switch to Docomo...

LordCanti

I'm always tempted by AppleCare+, but then I remember the $50 deductible. That's madness. For my iPhone 4 I did get a third party (SquareTrade) warranty and I did have to replace it due to some internal problem, but will that happen again? I don't know! I do go caseless after all.

Was squaretrade pretty open about the whole replacement process? I've got a ST warranty for my TV, but I've never had to use it.

How much was the ST warranty?

Husker86

While I tend to be a fan of self-insuring for small things like this, for a lot of people a potential unexpected $600 loss is far worse than an known $100 loss.

But I thought it was just said that Apple fixes (replaces) broken iPhones for $200 (if they don't do it for free which has been the case for a handful of people, without Applecare).

$100 up front plus the $50 deductible is saving you $50, and only if you break it. But it will cover two breaks, so technically I guess you could save $200 if you broke your phone twice ($400 with no Applecare [2x$200] vs. $200 w/ Applecare+ [$100+$50+50]).

Ryaaan14

Banned
Guys I'm sorry if it's been asked, but what would be a good selling price for a pristine iPhone 4 32GB with a bitchy home button?

noah111

Still Alive
The packaging is going to be the best yet.

specs_inthebox.jpg

Looks like a cologne or expensive watch packaging or something.

LordCanti

So you can pre order online? How does that work out with having to get contracts? Or you gotta do it through the provider?

You pick your service plan during checkout. It's probably easier if you've already got a provider account, but I think it will work through the providers website or apple.com either way.

Slavik81

But I thought it was just said that Apple fixes (replaces) broken iPhones for $200 (if they don't do it for free which has been the case for a handful of people, without Applecare).

$100 up front plus the $50 deductible is saving you $50, and only if you break it. But it will cover two breaks, so technically I guess you could save $200 if you broke your phone twice ($400 with no Applecare [2x$200] vs. $200 w/ Applecare+ [$100+$50+50]).
Yeah, looking at more detailed descriptions of what it covers, I'd have to agree.

Heh if it's just an internal thing, break the screen :)

Ya I could see no real feature to switch but I just think the investment in apps argument isn't nearly as valid as people think.

true. And it's mostly a psychological thing (for me).

It's like if you are upgrading a game console to one with no backwards compatibility and you have to get rid of your old device (let's be honest, you never gonna touch your old phone again).

Soybean

Was squaretrade pretty open about the whole replacement process? I've got a ST warranty for my TV, but I've never had to use it.

How much was the ST warranty?
I had no problems whatsoever. They were pretty good, though the repair facility took over a week. It was $99 for two year coverage.

Sorry, I don't know it. I live in the suburbs of Philly and I see many more places supporting it than that. And I know for a fact that some of same stores down here are supporting it in NYC as well. McDonald's, CVS, Rite-Aid, Duane Reade, Old Navy, Whole Foods, etc. They're not actively advertising it, but keep your eyes open and you'll be surprised how many stores offer Paypass or one of the similar NFC compatible terminals. In a lot of cases, these places have had the terminals already in place for a year or more.

This is established tech, the terminals aren't in "beta" or anything like that. They're ready, robust and available. All they lack is a large enough customer base to justify wider distribution. And that was my larger point: if Apple had offered NFC with the iPhone 5, you could almost have guaranteed that lots more retailers would have jumped on Paypass terminals or the like within months.

Agreed. Apple could have led the charge for mass NFC uptake, and raked in even more money in doing so.

This is a huge missed opportunity.

Top Bottom