• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just snapped a pic for those who don't know how great LTE is going to be. The speed difference is ridiculous. Can't wait to utilize my "unlimited" data plan.

7981565154_c5f7fcc059_z.jpg

OmegaFax

I had no problems whatsoever. They were pretty good, though the repair facility took over a week. It was $99 for two year coverage.

I went with AppleCare+ for my iPad and SquareTrade for my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S III.

I don't think there's a deductible for the Nexus 7. $250 maximum damage. Something like $37 bucks for two years with the coupons SquareTrade circulates around.

It's $100 for the Galaxy S III ... and there's a cap on how much they pay out over the course of two years. I think it's $550 total for repairs and replacements. Paid $100 for that waranty.

iPad is two replacements. There's no monetary bucket. It's $100 for the AppleCare+ and 50 per deductible. There's no difference between a faulty speaker and a cracked screen. I mean, as long as it doesn't look intentionally destroyed with a grenade, they'll warranty it.

Also, I heard that with iPhone, there is a replacement fee if you don't have AppleCare+ or AppleCare but I have no idea how that policy is now implemented since they started doing damage claims.

It is all about peace of mind though. I do like it. I'm still just as careful with my stuff.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Even I, and I hate everything, don't understand whats so underwhelming for people this year.

LordCanti

Just snapped a pic for those who don't know how great LTE is going to be. The speed difference is ridiculous. Can't wait to utilize my "unlimited" data plan.

7981565154_c5f7fcc059_z.jpg

It's nice to see real world speed in Kansas City. Hopefully I get attached to whatever tower is giving you that speed.

Oh and it's complete bullshit that LTE is faster than my home connection.

Even I, and I hate everything, don't understand whats so underwhelming for people this year.

Beyond the fact that the screen could be a bit wider, I don't get it either.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I never owned an iPhone but everyone I talked to say "all they did was stretch the screen how is that innovative?" I agreed till I thought about what else could do they do while keeping the same form factor Apple has always had.

I like this new one. I'm tempted to actually buy it but all I hear is iOS is boring and what not. Can someone explain to me what this boring stuff is all about? Is it because it's not as much customization as Android?

reKon

Banned
I never owned an iPhone but everyone I talked to say "all they did was stretch the screen how is that innovative?" I agreed till I thought about what else could do they do while keeping the same form factor Apple has always had.

I like this new one. I'm tempted to actually buy it but all I hear is iOS is boring and what not. Can someone explain to me what this boring stuff is all about? Is it because it's not as much customization as Android?

Yes, pretty much: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405090&page=40

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Question: I want to buy 2 iPhones and have one shipped out to my brother since we're on a family plan together. Can we do this through the apple online store?

Iphone5 is underwhelming.

that's all.

and this from a fanboy

That's how I felt as well from the liveblogs. I was just hoping against hope for some "wow" feature that we didn't see coming...

But after actually watching the keynote and recognizing that they actually did upgrade EVERY SINGLE component in the damn thing and it's 2x as fast as the 4s (which is 2x faster than my 4), I'm back onto the upgrade path.

Quick

Banned
I was pretty underwhelmed by the reveal. Probably because almost everything about it was already leaked prior to the keynote.

PatzCU

Still debating Apple care. I see people say $200 without it, but that's only screen. Hmm....

I've had Applecare on my 3GS and iPad 2. In both cases, near the end of the 2 year contract there has inevitably been *something* wrong that I could complain about to get a total replacement (finicky headphone jack on 3GS, backlight bleed on iPad2). So that either gives you a replacement that will last much longer (new battery) OR a replacement in pristine condition that you can sell for a good price on the secondary market to put towards your next device. I definitely think Applecare is worth it.

That's how I felt as well from the liveblogs. I was just hoping against hope for some "wow" feature that we didn't see coming...

But after actually watching the keynote and recognizing that they actually did upgrade EVERY SINGLE component in the damn thing and it's 2x as fast as the 4s (which is 2x faster than my 4), I'm back onto the upgrade path.

What app do you currently use that needs 2 to 4 times the performance?

Mairu

I was pretty underwhelmed by the reveal. Probably because almost everything about it was already leaked prior to the keynote.

Yeah... I have no problems with the iPhone 5 and I'll be getting one, but it sucks that pretty much everything was known before.

Surfheart

100% sRGB is going to mean jack shit if Apple don't lift the quality control on the the screens they are shoving into their devices.

All of my Apple products bar my iPhone 4 has had some issue with brown tint and/or uneven backlighting on the screens.

Hot tip for people looking to preorder on Friday: Use the Apple store app on iOS instead of the website. Worked for me last year; the website was eating a huge dick under the load.

Okay so need some moooore advice.

My current family plan with AT&T is:
-2100minutes
-Unlimited Data
-Unlimited MSG

$169

I just looked at my usage(These stats are both phones combined) and the highest I get is:
Minutes-1800minutes
Data-1GB

Now keep in mind our current phones are IPHONE 3G's(I heard you gasp in disbelief but its true). Now with a phone that actually works and can watch clips and such how much would you guys think our data would jump?

I ask because if I am reading Verizons plans right it offers:
-Unlimited Minutes, MSG's, and 4GB of data shared for - $110

Verizon seems like the clear choice no

Mairu

-2100minutes
-Unlimited Data
-Unlimited MSG

$169

I just looked at my usage(These stats are both phones combined) and the highest I get is:
Minutes-1800minutes
Data-1GB

Now keep in mind our current phones are IPHONE 3G's(I heard you gasp in disbelief but its true). Now with a phone that actually works and can watch clips and such how much would you guys think our data would jump?

There is a per device fee- The $110 would only be for one iPhone 5. If you were adding on another iPhone, it's another $40 per month, etc.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/shareeverythingcalculator

So, what the fuck is with the Canadian prices going up $50? It now starts at $699 instead of $649, while the 4S has dropped only $50 to $599. That's insane. I'm looking at ~$800 including taxed for a 16GB. Not sure I can justify that, considering I can probably get a 4S used in excellent condition for sub $400 now, and which will pretty much have all features with iOS6. I won't even have LTE in my city for a long time. Any thoughts or rational advice? I think the 5 is an amazing update and am definitely lusting for it, but the 4S is still a great phone, especially since I expect pre-owned prices to drop 30% or so.

Yeah... I have no problems with the iPhone 5 and I'll be getting one, but it sucks that pretty much everything was known before.

This is inevitable from now, with the amount of phones Apple needs to start producing beforehand (ie. millions) with the amount of suppliers they use, and the fact that its impossible for them to full control that, no matter how serious they are about security. Parts WILL leak, the only way Apple could prevent this is if they make the keynote months before putting the phone on sale. It's the reality going forward, all it takes is for ONE phone to leak from the millions being produced, which no doubts go through thousands of hands and many different suppliers. The situation isn't going to get better, and would have been no different if Steve Jobs were still around, unlike the childish notions people have. You want to be surprised? Boycott tech sites/mac rumor sites for a couple months before the keynotes. Shit WILL leak.

-2100minutes
-Unlimited Data
-Unlimited MSG

$169

Minutes-1800minutes
Data-1GB

Does Att have lte in your area? If not I'd jump. I use about four gigs a month streaming ted and YouTube videos on the train like three times a week. I'm on Verizon with the s3.

After the conference I was underwhelmed

Woke up today and was like whoa. It's thinner AND lighter than the S3 which I thought was thin and light as FUCK!

This phone is all mine. In black.

Oh lawd

demigod

Looking at the OP, I wasn't going to buy the Iphone 5. I just read that T-mobile's LTE will work on it though, any truth to this? If so, it looks like I'll have to make the upgrade, aka buy a new one(currently have 4s).

Also when is the release date?

Blastoise

Banned
Hey guys, I have finally decided what I am going to do. Please bear with me.

I'm gonna get it, play around with it, and keep it if I like it, or return it if I don't. I hope this strategy will work.

dc89

Looking at the OP, I wasn't going to buy the Iphone 5. I just read that T-mobile's LTE will work on it though, any truth to this? If so, it looks like I'll have to make the upgrade, aka buy a new one(currently have 4s).

Also when is the release date?

21st September

Jtrizzy

So if I'm due for an upgrade with Verizon, will I be able to just logon at 3 am on Friday to pre order? Then I pick it up in a store? Also wondering if my contacts will trasfer from a droid 2...I'm guessing not.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah if your contacts are in the googlesphere all that shit gets synced nearly as easily as iCloud does.
I'm a googlebro livin in an iOS world and it's alright.

dc89

Internet Sensation* Wario 64 just retweeeted this;

"Not piping analog audio out of the new iPhone connector is really, really bad for anyone who uses a line-in jack in the car."

https://twitter.com/willsmith/statuses/246116190274072577

Ermmm. Does that mean kits you could get for your car which used the old dock adapter are now totally useless?!

* I'm not being snarky. It's from Player One podcast.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

"Not piping analog audio out of the new iPhone connector is really, really bad for anyone who uses a line-in jack in the car."

Ermmm. Does that mean kits you could get for your car which used the old dock adapter are now totally useless?!

I find that incredibly unlikely. Wouldn't that be how every speaker dock works?

I hope so. To clarify - that's not Will Smith the actor, he is a editor of some website called Tested.com.

LOL. Most GAFfers probably know that. Our very own Gary Whitta and Will are on the Tested podcast together.

Argyle

No audio out from the jack? Is that a joke?

Makes it completely useless for use as a decent source with any external amp.

This is my speculation, but...I expect the line out to work if you buy the $30 Apple adapter.

The bad news is that the adapter is going to have to be more complex than a couple of wires (as in there may need to be a DAC in it), so those of you expecting to buy a $2 Monoprice equivalent may be disappointed. Wouldn't be surprised if they threw a lockout chip in there for good measure.

element

I'm totally confused. What is the concern? What does the Lightning Connector have to do with line-in jack?

Top Bottom