• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

matt360

I've gone about 1.5 days with LTE on and location services on pretty consistently now. Time to get your phone replaced, natch.

The thing is, this is my replacement phone. I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm in Japan and my carrier has the crappiest signal strength out of the big 3 companies in Japan. However, like I said, I didn't have this problem with my iPhone 4.

matt360

So is it the 4/4S screen? Because that's pretty good.

On the other hand, I like the design and supposedly the Touch is actually thinner and lighter than even the 5. I'd kinda like to see that.

He said he already did. If he restored from backup, it would seem it's some setting or app.

matt, how much usage/standby are you getting on a full charge?

I'm getting just under 5 hours of usage and about 12 hours or so of standby on a full charge. With my old phone, there was one day where I got close to 8 hours of usage but every other day has been crap.

Vyer

I'm getting just under 5 hours of usage and about 12 hours or so of standby on a full charge. With my old phone, there was one day where I got close to 8 hours of usage but every other day has been crap.

Did you restore from backup? Unless you got two bad units - which is possible, but rather unlikely - there's got to be some setting or app that's really pulling battery life down. What does your data usage look like?

matt360

Did you restore from backup? Unless you got two bad units - which is possible, but rather unlikely - there's got to be some setting or app that's really pulling battery life down. What does your data usage look like?

With my original iPhone 5 unit I originally restored from a backup of my iPhone 4. Then after the battery trouble I tried setting it up as new. That didn't work, so I reinstalled my old backup.

With my new iPhone I kept it for a day without restoring anything or downloading any apps. The battery life still sucked so I just said fuck it and restored from that original iPhone 4 backup. I don't know if it matters, but my new iPhone was at an 80% charge out of the box and was down to 40% within two hours. This is with LTE and location services off and without any of my original settings.

Could it just be Japan?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AT&T just shipped my phone!

Hmm, I called them last night just to inquire and get an estimate or whatever.
They said end of the month. I told them that was fine, just checking.

Just got an email this morning with a tracking number, and it'll be here tomorrow.

Holy shit.

:)

Just got an email this morning with a tracking number, and it'll be here tomorrow.

Holy shit.

Nice. Mine came yesterday, but I don't know if I'm keeping it or not. I really want to see that new Lumia, but the return window closes on the 21st.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nice. Mine came yesterday, but I don't know if I'm keeping it or not. I really want to see that new Lumia, but the return window closes on the 21st.
I just switched away from WP7.
Just could not deal with the lack of apps (no tv guide for listings?!), and lack of proper backup/restore process. Lost all my data twice due to that and it was the last straw.
Other than that though, I loved using that OS.

I just switched away from WP7.
Just could not deal with the lack of apps (no tv guide for listings?!), and lack of proper backup/restore process. Lost all my data twice due to that and it was the last straw.
Other than that though, I loved using that OS.
Yea...I may pick one up on a second line. Just not sure and wanted to at least try it. That appears to be an impossibility now, though.

First world problems.

Anybody who got a lightning-to-30pin adatper happen to have a 2010ish Hyundai Elantra? I'm still holding off on buying a 5 until I hear for sure that the adapter works with their proprietary cable.

KillGore

Anybody who got a lightning-to-30pin adatper happen to have a 2010ish Hyundai Elantra? I'm still holding off on buying a 5 until I hear for sure that the adapter works with their proprietary cable.

I thought Hyundais had a special usb port for ipods?? I didn't know they had a special cable, or I'm thinking about the 2011/2012 models?

Any recommendations for a good case that doesn't destroy the aesthetics? I was looking at the Belkin View but it seems to be sold out everywhere.

I mostly want to protect the sides and back with maybe a little edge around the screen, I don't need a film over the screen (always makes it feel weird to me). Thanks!

Also, quick question about the battery. With lithium it's better to charge the phone every night than let it run all the way down and then fully charge it, right?

SeanR1221

Holy shit.

Jelly. Still waitin on best buy here.

Finally got mine from Best Buy in DFW/Lewisville yesterday (had reserved there since launch). I had actually left my number at the AT&T store also to call me if they got some in, and they received one as well (black 16GB)

Very nice speed jump, coming from a 4.

Nori Chan

So I'm about to buy the iPhone 5 on the apple store online since no one, meaning apple and at&t have it in stock anywhere near me, but I do have a couple questions.

How do I buy two iPhones since I'm trying to get renew my family plan with my gf?

Also is there a way for the iPhones to be sent to an apple store? Actually, what would be faster? Having them both sent to my house or to the apple store?

What would happen to my current iPhone 4? Would it stop being in service or would it still be in use until I activate the new one?

Sorry about so many questions, just my first time upgrading lol

My new iCarbon skin i just got

Pretty flawless application, if I do say so myself

Edit: Looking back, I kinda was a little off on the volume buttons. Oh well.

L9JSn.jpg

EEgHB.jpg

5sa1l.jpg

zdljf.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting for the last one; the skins looks a lot better when you actually see it in person.

My new iCarbon skin i just got

Pretty flawless application, if I do say so myself

Sorry for the bad lighting for the last one; the skins looks a lot better when you actually see it in person.

That looks awesome. I would never want it to be permanent, and I could never get it just right.

Anyways, I am a big fan of Apple Customer Service. I posted a few pages ago that my screen picked up like 3 micro scratches, each about 1mm long in the bottom right corner. I noticed them on day 3 of having the phone, and having handled with kid gloves. So if I caused them I have no idea how it could have happened. Something flukish, or it is also possible they were always there and I just noticed them a few days later.

Anyways, took it to store, explained just like above- I don't know where they came from, but if they are from me and not a shipped defect, I don't know how it happened. Replaced with no hassle in ten mintues.

And scuffgate must be a serious thing. Both of the replacement phones they showed had some scuffing along the edge of the phone. One had a minor ding and less scuffs, so I took the scuffier one without the ding. Didn't want to make him open every replacement box until I found a perfect one. Anyways, since it is obviously a problem and any phone will look like that eventually I aint even mad. Especially now that my screen scratches are gone.

Also, when activating the new phone I had to pick Verizon or Sprint to lock in. I likened the situation to driving my brand new car off the lot, and making its value plummet.

Epcott

Finally bought an iPhone 5 today... my first Apple device.

But what is this? I can't seem to find a call blocker app.
I see "Do Not Disturb Whitelist" but no call blocker.

I checked google and most suggest that you should have a jailbreak on your phone and I don't. So why is such a simple app so hard to find?

I checked google and most suggest that you should have a jailbreak on your phone and I don't. So why is such a simple app so hard to find?

It's what happens when Apple doesn't give you control over core features. An app won't solve it because an app won't have access to that functionality.

LCfiner

If you really need this call blocker function, you should return the phone. The iPhone is not nearly as customizable as, say, Android.

a jailbreak for iOS 6 is not available and may take a while.

Epcott

It's what happens when Apple doesn't give you control over core features. An app won't solve it because an app won't have access to that functionality.

Bah, are you serious?

I sang praises to a coworker how iTunes had a much better selection than Google Play... only to find it lacks the most common app you can find on Android's market. Such irony.

Hmm... I really don't want to jailbreak this. Besides, I'm not a phone haxor so I guess I'm boned.

Edit: thanks for the advice LCfiner. I really don't want to take it back. Took me awhile just to find a store that had it in stock. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

LCfiner

You probably could have searched for a call blocker app in iTunes beforehand. The complete lack of results would have tipped you off that iOS isn't the best solution for you.

edit: If you really don't want to return the phone, then you'll need to be patient. when a jailbreak solution for iOS 6 does come out, you can do this (it's not a difficult process for end users) and then get access to a call block app from the additional app stores available for jailbroken phones.

Ashhong

Bah, are you serious?

I sang praises to a coworker how iTunes had a much better selection than Google Play... only to find it lacks the most common app you can find on Android's market. Such irony.

Hmm... I really don't want to jailbreak this. Besides, I'm not a phone haxor so I guess I'm boned.

Edit: thanks for the advice LCfiner. I really don't want to take it back. Took me awhile just to find a store that had it in stock. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

Do you get a lot of prank calls or something?

fireside

Bah, are you serious?

What carrier do you have? I know on Sprint you can block calls using their website.

Do you get a lot of prank calls or something?

I get so many bullshit calls that I don't answer from anyone I don't know. It is a nice feature to have. They seem to have gotten the message, and haven't harassed me lately.

Now I just get election calls!

What carrier do you have? I know on Sprint you can block calls using their website.

Verizon has the same, but only for a limited number, like 5 at a time. Blocks expire 90 days later or something like that.

How is everyone's screen looking? I was starting to think mine would never be marred but a few days ago I finally noticed a faint scratch which was followed by several more over the next few days. They're only noticeable with perfect lighting and they're extremely faint but they're there, and I have no idea what caused them. There are also some dings developing around the sides, but overall it remained flawless much longer than my iPhone 4 did.

bonesquad

I get so many bullshit calls that I don't answer from anyone I don't know. It is a nice feature to have. They seem to have gotten the message, and haven't harassed me lately.

Now I just get election calls!

It's not ideal but if I get repeated calls like that I add them to my contacts with the name !!!, Ignore Me. Then turn off vibrations and assign a dummy silent ringtone. I still get the notification, but at least I won't be bothered If I'm not looking at my phone. :)

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Is the wifi hotspot free on Sprint? I don't see anything in settings about it being a charge.

19.99 2GB hotspot, 49.99 6GB hotspot. It is a little cheaper than Verizon's service that I prepay through my iPad but sprints lte coverage leaves a lot to be desired where I live, at least for now.

Shearie

It is kind of stupid that there's no on device call blocking for the iPhone. Using the Sprint website, I've blocked a few bullshit numbers but I wish there was a simpler, faster way to do it on the phone. Also, I really, REALLY wish Do Not Disturb worked while the iPhone is unlocked.

I'm continuing to have issues with apps crashing and having to reset the phone on a daily basis.

Just now I was using the web browser, and while viewing Neogaf it suddenly restarts my phone! It comes back on and the browser crashes each time I start it up. I finally did a hard restart and it worked again.

The App Store also stops loading every day or two. The only fix is a restart of the phone. Same with the CNN app.

Yoshiya

I am curious to know more about the screen differences. ifixit said it was cheaper and simpler but didn't comment on the actual image quality. Maybe Anand will look into it - they're always very thorough regarding screens

iFixit also only spoke regarding the whole display assembly, so I don't know if that leaves room for the actual screen to be the same. Speaking of Anand, where the hell is the review!? I want a better look at the A6.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Anyone else having this problem:

While on the charger surfing the web, the battery starts to drain. It's been like this for two days now and I'm beginning to worry here.

Another day, another night of Apple stores not having stock to reserve.

Guy at the store said they dont put it out on shelves when they get it. They hold them until 10 for the online sales, then the leftovers are put out. Is that true?

Vyer

I'm continuing to have issues with apps crashing and having to reset the phone on a daily basis.

Just now I was using the web browser, and while viewing Neogaf it suddenly restarts my phone! It comes back on and the browser crashes each time I start it up. I finally did a hard restart and it worked again.

The App Store also stops loading every day or two. The only fix is a restart of the phone. Same with the CNN app.

Is would exchange

Top Bottom