• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

noah111

Still Alive
It DEFINITELY does work. I do it everyday. It also will not work when swiping from left to right.
Definitely not working for me at all, though i'm on an iPhone 4.. but that can't possibly be the issue. Tried it with twitter, messages, and email, in an app and on the home screen. Nada

Shearie

Definitely not working for me at all, though i'm on an iPhone 4.. but that can't possibly be the issue. Tried it with twitter, messages, and email, in an app and on the home screen. Nada

That's strange. I'm on a 4S but I agree, I don't see why that would be the issue. Maybe that one thing is bugged in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4?

That's strange. I'm on a 4S but I agree, I don't see why that would be the issue. Maybe that one thing is bugged in iOS 6 on an iPhone 4?

I'm on an iPhone 4 on iOS5 still. Just to be clear, we're pulling down from the top of the screen to reveal the notification tray and trying to swipe right to left to clear a single notification right?

Shearie

I'm on an iPhone 4 on iOS5 still. Just to be clear, we're pulling down from the top of the screen to reveal the notification tray and trying to swipe right to left to clear a single notification right?

No, but pulling the tray down and up gets rid of the banner too. I'm talking about just swiping straight from right to left. The banner should rotate away when you do it correctly.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Dismissing a notification is actually a quick swipe down but then back up again. As if you we're going to pull down notification center but changd your mind.

Some people get left to right or right to left to work are actually pulling the notification down then swiping up, they just don't know it :p

jts

...hate me...
Dismissing a notification is actually a quick swipe down but then back up again. As if you we're going to pull down notification center but changd your mind.

Some people get left to right or right to left to work are actually pulling the notification down then swiping up, they just don't know it :p
It's true but I'm still trying to figure out why it's so easy so pull down the NC pane when you swipe from right to left but not from left to right.

Shearie

It's true but I'm still trying to figure out why it's so easy so pull down the NC pane when you swipe from right to left but not from left to right.

It's not true. When swiping straight from right to left the notification just rotates away which doesn't happen when pulling the tray down and up.

It doesn't? I stopped receiving any spam calls after using that site.

It works for those who follow it. That doesn't stop you from getting calls. Even worse, a friend of mine had their number given to some sort of organization so he's constantly getting phone calls because of that. Asking to be removed from the list doesn't work either.

noah111

Still Alive
That swiping from right to left isn't actually swiping to dismiss, it simply (accidentally?) triggers the NC to drop down a bit or be pulled, swooping up the banner since it assumes you've opened NC.

And it doesn't even register every time. Also makes zero sense that you would swipe from right to left for it to dismiss upwards... Even ML has a swipe to dismiss ability. :|

Nori Chan

So I'm about to buy the iPhone 5 on the apple store online since no one, meaning apple and at&t have it in stock anywhere near me, but I do have a couple questions.

How do I buy two iPhones since I'm trying to get renew my family plan with my gf?

Also is there a way for the iPhones to be sent to an apple store? Actually, what would be faster? Having them both sent to my house or to the apple store?

What would happen to my current iPhone 4? Would it stop being in service or would it still be in use until I activate the new one?

Sorry about so many questions, just my first time upgrading lol

Anyone :(

Shearie

That swiping from right to left isn't actually swiping to dismiss, it simply (accidentally?) triggers the NC to drop down a bit or be pulled, swooping up the banner since it assumes you've opened NC.

And it doesn't even register every time. Also makes zero sense that you would swipe from right to left for it to dismiss upwards... Even ML has a swipe to dismiss ability. :|

I'm telling you guys, it's a slightly different action that does pretty much the same thing. Just like in the video, when you swipe straight from right to left the NC doesn't come down at all, the banner just slides up. If you swipe straight from left to right it does nothing. If you swipe down and up real fast to dismiss the banner, whether intentional or by accident, you'll see a little bit of the NC come into view. Either way you do it doesn't matter since they both result in the same thing.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

How do I buy two iPhones since I'm trying to get renew my family plan with my gf?
I bought 2 phones under separate accounts with Verizon, had them shipped to 2 separate places, then just called after they came in and got activated and merged the accounts. If you're getting the phones delivered to the same place, then it won't matter. Just buy them and activate at home and if you're having problems, call your provider.

Also is there a way for the iPhones to be sent to an apple store? Actually, what would be faster? Having them both sent to my house or to the apple store?
Don't think there's that option, but you're best off getting it delivered to your house.

What would happen to my current iPhone 4? Would it stop being in service or would it still be in use until I activate the new one?
Service keeps going until you turn on your new iphone and actually activate it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm telling you guys, it's a slightly different action that does pretty much the same thing. Just like in the video, when you swipe straight from right to left the NC doesn't come down at all, it just slides up. If you swipe straight from left to right it does nothing. If you swipe down and up real fast to dismiss the banner, whether intentional or by accident, you'll see a little bit of the NC come into view. Either way you do it doesn't matter since they both result in the same thing.
Yup.

Anyone know what the turnaround on Apple's trade in program is? Like if I send them my iPhone 4, how long until I get the gift card for trading it in? Just thinking of ordering my 5 now and waiting for it to ship instead of constantly checking stores.

Rockman

I feel kind of bad considering many of you have been camping and hopping from location to location to find one. Yesterday I dropped my Galaxy SII and while the Gorilla glass survived the actual LCD did not. I originally planned on getting the SIII but chose the iPhone 5 because I miss iOS. I was able to get one at a Best Buy mobile store as a walk in. I do notice pretty bad battery life. It's gone from 100% charge to 75 in less than 3 hours with minimal use.

Shearie

Anyone know what the turnaround on Apple's trade in program is? Like if I send them my iPhone 4, how long until I get the gift card for trading it in? Just thinking of ordering my 5 now and waiting for it to ship instead of constantly checking stores.

I don't have an answer to your question but if you have an Apple store near you, an employee there told me you can do the recycle program in-store and you can get the gift card right after they evaluate it on the spot. Hope he wasn't mistaken about that since I plan on doing this when the 5S comes out and maybe even with the iPad Mini.

jts

...hate me...
Cross posting my great condition 32gb black unlocked GSM iphone 4 for sale. Check the Buy Sell Trade thread for details. :)

Loving my iphone 5! Can't wait for my grove case.
I still feel like I owe you $1. Anyway, black 32GB iPhone 4 is also what I'm upgrading from to the 5, just patiently waiting though :(

Which one did you get?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I still feel like I owe you $1. Anyway, black 32GB iPhone 4 is also what I'm upgrading from to the 5, just patiently waiting though :(

Which one did you get?
stayed at 32GB and black.

Really wanted to save some money and get 16gb this time since i am streaming more music, but I have been taking tons more phone pictures in the last year or so and that isn't changing (if anything I will take even more)

PS your money's no good here ;)

I don't have an answer to your question but if you have an Apple store near you, an employee there told me you can do the recycle program in-store and you can get the gift card right after they evaluate it on the spot. Hope he wasn't mistaken about that since I plan on doing this when the 5S comes out and maybe even with the iPad Mini.

Will look into that next time I go there. Main reason is that I have until Nov 21st to get Apple Care on my wife's laptop, and planned on using the giftcard for that. That or trade in the phone to Best Buy to pay for most of the iPhone 5 at time of purchase and use the money saved to get Apple Care.

Number45

Bah, are you serious?

I sang praises to a coworker how iTunes had a much better selection than Google Play... only to find it lacks the most common app you can find on Android's market. Such irony.

Hmm... I really don't want to jailbreak this. Besides, I'm not a phone haxor so I guess I'm boned.

Edit: thanks for the advice LCfiner. I really don't want to take it back. Took me awhile just to find a store that had it in stock. Oh well, I'll figure something out.
You could assign a silent ringtone to contacts you want to block as a workaround? Not ideal I know.

Pretty sure the unavailability of a "Block Caller" app is because of the carriers, not Apple. At least with AT&T.

A female friend of mine was getting seriously harassed by an ex boyfriend and she called AT&T to find out if she could block the number, and they said they would - for a fee.

I don't know if the other carriers charge to block numbers but apparently greedy fucking AT&T does, so unless Apple came out of left field like they did with iMessages and goes behind the carriers' backs, I don't foresee it happening.

LCfiner

Pretty sure the unavailability of a "Block Caller" app is because of the carriers, not Apple. At least with AT&T.

A female friend of mine was getting seriously harassed by an ex boyfriend and she called AT&T to find out if she could block the number, and they said they would - for a fee.

I don't know if the other carriers charge to block numbers but apparently greedy fucking AT&T does, so unless Apple came out of left field like they did with iMessages and goes behind the carriers' backs, I don't foresee it happening.

Apple doesn't allow third party apps, in general, to futz with system services - like the phone.

Even if carriers didn't care, Apple wouldn't want that kind of app in the store.

Then why does AT&T allow Android phones to do it?

Who said they're allowing it? There's all kinds of unsanctioned/unofficial shit in the Android app store. That's not a slag at Android or anything, it's just how their app store is. See also:

LCfiner said:
Apple doesn't allow third party apps, in general, to futz with system services - like the phone.

Even if carriers didn't care, Apple wouldn't want that kind of app in the store.

Epcott

Do you get a lot of prank calls or something?
Just annoying people who text you weeks or months later after you've told them to piss off. After awhile they'll randomly text you with "So... How is everything?" and pesky telemarketers (and collection agencies).

What carrier do you have? I know on Sprint you can block calls using their website.
Sweet. I do indeed have Sprint. Awesome, thanks!

Overall, I'm starting to enjoy this phone.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Anyone else having this problem:

While on the charger surfing the web, the battery starts to drain. It's been like this for two days now and I'm beginning to worry here.

And still doing it:

EjDKW.jpg

That was 3 mins worth of usage this morning.

andycapps

19.99 2GB hotspot, 49.99 6GB hotspot. It is a little cheaper than Verizon's service that I prepay through my iPad but sprints lte coverage leaves a lot to be desired where I live, at least for now.

Hmmm okay. Friend of mine that has Verizon was telling me that it was free. Said he spoke with Verizon about adding a tethering plan, and they told him he didn't need to, that it was free.

There's big thread on Sprint's community site about people that switched to the iPhone 5 having issues on their network. I've had issues I never had on my EVO with 3G not working and falling back to 1X for no apparent reason. Has to be some kind of issue with the OS or with how the phone is talking to their network. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
And still doing it:

EjDKW.jpg

That was 3 mins worth of usage this morning.

Apple displays at 100% even when it's not necessarily at 100% during the last 10% of the full charge. The battery goes into trickle charging at 80%, then once it nears 100% and if it keeps being charged at that point it then discharges a small amount of the charged up battery. This is done to prevent overcharging, which means in reality the battery could be charged 95% full (after a discharge) while the reader states 100%.

I'm posting from my phone at the moment, otherwise I'd dig up the support articles detailing this very thing and the reasoning behind listing the battery capacity as 100% in those situations. Its the case for all Apple devices (and no, it's not just Apple that does this kinda thing).

sangreal

Hmmm okay. Friend of mine that has Verizon was telling me that it was free. Said he spoke with Verizon about adding a tethering plan, and they told him he didn't need to, that it was free.

There's big thread on Sprint's community site about people that switched to the iPhone 5 having issues on their network. I've had issues I never had on my EVO with 3G not working and falling back to 1X for no apparent reason. Has to be some kind of issue with the OS or with how the phone is talking to their network. Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

Verizon tethering is free for limited data plans. For unlimited it costs $30/month

Lima

That looks pretty awesome. Especially the aluminum one.

Personally I'm going with the Lego dock that was posted here.

Tobor

Has anyone here happened to have bought this Lightning Dock?

http://www.thelightningdock.com/products/iphone-5-dock

G]http://i.imgur.com/BtkqT.jpg[/IMG]
MG]http://i.imgur.com/XacIL.jpg[/IMG]

Elevation Lab still hasn't revealed when they'll be releasing the lightning connectors for my Elevation Dock so I'm looking for alternatives. This one looks nice but I'm suspicious of how smoothly the phone disconnects in their video because it doesn't appear heavy enough to actually stay in place.

Very interesting. I was wondering how they had this ready so soon. You actually use your own lightning cable and secure it into the dock. That's fine for me, as I already purchased an extra cable for the nightstand. $25 and it's available in a matching black aluminum. Very interesting.

diehard

Fleer
any idea on what the most minimal case is to protect the edges? the monoprice one looks ok but the huge MONOPRICE on the side looks kinda dumb.

Top Bottom