• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

I have a question. The iPhone 4 was my first smart phone, I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5. I have AT&T as my carrier. Now when I get an iPhone 5, do I have to switch out the sim card from my old iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 or won't I have to do that?

AT&T just shipped my phone!

Hmm, I called them last night just to inquire and get an estimate or whatever.
They said end of the month. I told them that was fine, just checking.

Just got an email this morning with a tracking number, and it'll be here tomorrow.

Holy shit.

:)

How much time passed between when you ordered and when it shipped?

dorkimoe

My replacement phone was having connection issues. It would no service just randomly for like 2-3 minutes. Either the death grip or its just broken. So if I have to call and replace it again I'm going to be mad
I did erase reset network settings lets see if that fixes it.

bonesquad

Anyone have an issue where every app they tap in the app store just brings up a white screen (instead of the page with the app details)? I've tried removing the app store from the quick launch bar to force a restart, logging out, restarting the phone. None of it helps. I'm thinking of doing a refresh of my phone. There are a few posts similar to this in the Apple discussion forums, but no fix (a few claim they took their phone back and got a new one to fix it???).

Anyone have an issue where every app they tap in the app store just brings up a white screen (instead of the page with the app details)? I've tried removing the app store from the quick launch bar to force a restart, logging out, restarting the phone. None of it helps. I'm thinking of doing a refresh of my phone. There are a few posts similar to this in the Apple discussion forums, but no fix (a few claim they took their phone back and got a new one to fix it???).

several aspects of the App Store are buggy as hell since the iOS 6 update. I expect they'll fix them with the next incremental update.

I currently cannot load the front page of the App store on my iPhone 5. This happened a few times over the past week, and a restart of the phone always fixed it.

But last night it got stuck that way for good, and even a couple hard resets of the phone have not fixed it. So for now no App Store for me. I'm considering doing a restore of my phone, but I have a feeling it's just going to happen again.

Can't wait for that 6.01 OS update. :/

And still doing it:

EjDKW.jpg

That was 3 mins worth of usage this morning.

Could you please post that wallpaper?

Kaladin

This is an example of how the iPhone 5 does with low light concert recordings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHnUuNAgHc&feature=plcp

This band had to set up half in front of the stage and half on the stage because it was a small venue, so they weren't completely lighted. I'm also standing right next to the lead singer/guitar player so it's a bit of a shaky cam. The real star of the show is the audio quality. The iPhone 5 has great mics for that kind of thing.

any idea on what the most minimal case is to protect the edges? the monoprice one looks ok but the huge MONOPRICE on the side looks kinda dumb.
I just got this yesterday and am very happy with it. There is a piece of clear plastic on the back of the device, is that a deal breaker for you? The word Griffin is on the side but it is not intrusive.

6460202_sb.jpg

Best Buy

knitoe

I have a question. The iPhone 4 was my first smart phone, I plan on upgrading to the iPhone 5. I have AT&T as my carrier. Now when I get an iPhone 5, do I have to switch out the sim card from my old iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 or won't I have to do that?

The iPhone 5 sims are smaller than the old iPhones so they come preloaded with the new one. All you do is connected the iPhone 5 to iTunes and activate the phone. Once the iPhone becomes active, your old sim, in the iPhone 4, won't work anymore.

Talon

That article implies that those two phones count for 100% of those mobile ad impressions? Seems unlikely, unless they discounted all other impressions.
It's a 1-to-1 comparison chart. Pretty obvious. They just logged impressions from those two units and made a graph.

knitoe

I just got this yesterday and am very happy with it. There is a piece of clear plastic on the back of the device, is that a deal breaker for you? The word Griffin is on the side but it is not intrusive.

6460202_sb.jpg

Best Buy

I bought that case when it first came out for iPhone 4. Back then, the clear back scratched easily. Also, the sides were soft and became loose overtime which allow dirt to easily enter and get trap. Have Griffin that those issues?

I just bought this. Bumper style consisting of 2 separate pieces, soft plastic inner lining and hard outside cover. Comes with front and back screen protectors. I loved them on my iPhone 4 & 4S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KC6P08/?tag=neogaf0e-20
41HYWfPyJlL._SX300_.jpg

I bought that case when it first came out for iPhone 4. Back then, the clear back scratched easily. Also, the sides were soft and became loose overtime which allow dirt to easily enter and get trap. Have Griffin that those issues?

I just bought this. Bumper style consisting of 2 separate pieces, soft plastic inner lining and hard outside cover. Comes with front and back screen protectors. I loved them on my iPhone 4 & 4S.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KC6P08/?tag=neogaf0e-20
41HYWfPyJlL._SX300_.jpg
I've only had it for a day so I haven't noticed anything like that. I don't care if the back gets scratched, dirt is a concern but I figured I could just slip it out and clean it at any time.

C Jones

Going through this right now on iPad. I got the iTunes Store back by doing the clock trick (changing the system year to 2013, disconnecting/reconnecting to wifi, then telling the iPad to automatically set time, then opening the iTunes app. Honestly I don't know if this worked or it was dumb luck. It took a few tries). No luck for the App Store though.

Iacobellis

any idea on what the most minimal case is to protect the edges? the monoprice one looks ok but the huge MONOPRICE on the side looks kinda dumb.

There are some bumpers on Amazon and eBay. I got one from Amazon for around $6 and the build quality is just about on par with the Apple ones for the 4/4S.

If any of you guys bought bumpers and thought that they should be tighter, you can boil it in hot water for about 4 minutes in order to make it more tight. Just an FYI, did the same thing for my iPhone 4 bumper.

Jin

I got my 5th gen ipod touch this morning. Beautiful device. I wish the iphone 5 was this thin. The bad news is it came scuffed in the bottom lower corner :( and the camera lens is protruding a little too far out for me. It's not flush like the previous gen touch and iphone 5. I've only been playing with it for a couple of minutes and the screen quality looks the same compare to iphone 5.

Struct09

I got a cheap rubber case from some seller on eBay for $1.25 (free shipping). It took forever to show up, but it was definitely worth the price. It prevents the phone from sliding around which is exactly what I wanted.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This photive case is only $10 at Amazon. Love it.

http://i.imgur.com/e4QN4l.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2T7aLl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EU0lfl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QzT0Dl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the pics, it's pretty much exactly like the 4/4s bumper.

SeanR1221

Called best buy. They were super rude to me. I should have just forgotten my gift cards and ordered straight from apple three weeks ago.

dyls

This bumper case is only $1.99 on amazon and came in under a week. Works just fine, though even more than with the 4/4S I hate having anything cover the beauty of the phone. I think I'll only use it in high risk situations.

Iacobellis

No iPhone will ever match the iPhone 4, Steve truly went out with a bang for his last iPhone announcement.

Each year we see a phone with better hardware, but nothing as drastic as what we saw going from the 3GS to the 4. New design, HD video recording, 5MP rear camera, front camera, FaceTime, A4 chip, 512MB RAM, dual microphones, gyroscope, 802.11n WiFi, and the Retina Display. I most likely forgot a few.

I am getting an iPhone 5, but the changes are becoming so incremental.

dyls

No iPhone will ever match the iPhone 4, Steve truly went out with a bang for his last iPhone announcement.

Each year we see a phone with better hardware, but nothing as drastic as what we saw going from the 3GS to the 4. New design, HD video recording, 5MP rear camera, front camera, FaceTime, A4 chip, 512MB RAM, dual microphones, gyroscope, 802.11n WiFi, and the Retina Display. I most likely forgot a few.

The first iPhone was a bigger leap than anything in my lifetime. I just found the piece of crap Motorola thing I had before my first iPhone and it looks like a relic from a distant past. The iPhone was the first time it felt like someone handed me an item from the future.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

This is the case with the entire market, not just the iPhone.

Iacobellis

The first iPhone was a bigger leap than anything in my lifetime. I just found the piece of crap Motorola thing I had before my first iPhone and it looks like a relic from a distant past. The iPhone was the first time it felt like someone handed me an item from the future.

I believe you. I watch the keynote every now and then, and the crowd goes crazy over all of it. I was only 10 at the time, so I didn't have any kind of phone to upgrade from or to. In terms of iPhone to iPhone, I still think the 4 was the biggest. They made the biggest number of changes when they didn't have to. BlackBerry was slowly dying, Windows Phone hadn't existed yet, and Android was still in somewhat of an infancy. The EVO, which the 4 was always compared to, did not come close in hardware or software.

jts

...hate me...

The A4 was not such a big deal. It was mainly a victory in packaging and marketing for Apple.

Performance-wise, the 4 isn't much better than the 3GS, although it's true that it has to power some more pixels.

I still completely understand what you're saying though. The iPhone 4 was on a completely different league and started a new era. Just that build and screen. omg. I think it says it all when the kind of machines needed to build the iPhone 4 were machines that produced low-volume, high precision prototypes. They just had to get many of them.

With that being said though... the iPhone 5 still strikes me as remarkable in ways that the iPhone 4 wasn't.
The advance in packaging is not as big (because there wasn't much room for improving this time around), but it's still a new form factor, with better everything in the inside, while improving the physical characteristics of the thing. Thinner than the 1st and 2nd and 3rd generation iPod touch. Lighter too. Just crazy.
And the performance doubled. From an already fast phone.

New form factor and much better performance is something new in the iPhone world. Never happened before.

A6 (2x CPU and GPU)
Front HD camera
3 mics
1GB of RAM
4G LTE
Dual-band wi-fi
Full sRGB display

It's an at least comparable list.

bonesquad

Haha holy shit

While I wish the 5 was a little bigger, there's no way I'd want it that big.

Right now I just wish my 5 worked. The App Store has decided to stop working altogether and just show a white page. Plus notifications are on strike again and only bother to notify me when they feel like it. My email to Apple wasn't much help. May need to - gasp - use this thing as an actual phone and call them.

Majine

Banned
The screensize armsrace is so silly, I'm glad that Apple chose a more subtle increase. For the next iPhone I'd prefer a shorter top bezel and perhaps the Home button be a touchbutton for the first time.

Top Bottom