• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If there is no audio-out then there's almost no reason for a legacy adaptor to even exist.

The two main devices that would need a legacy connector are 1. speaker docks and 2. iPod car integration.

Otherwise it's, what, just for charging then....?

This doesn't make a lick of sense.

dc89

I find that incredibly unlikely. Wouldn't that be how every speaker dock works?

LOL. Most GAFfers probably know that. Our very own Gary Whitta and Will are on the Tested podcast together.

I didn't know that! Now I do! I've heard of Gary though so I'm not all that dumb.

I'm totally confused. What is the concern? What does the Lightning Connector have to do with line-in jack?

Well we need some clarification. Maybe he means the new Lightning connector doesn't do analog audio out? Cause the headphone jack obviously does, otherwise the headphones wouldn't work right?

Let me go see if I can see anything on the web.

xD

element

yeah that sounds like a drunk tweet or something.

it makes zero sense.

Wow what's the point of the adapter then?
Say you have a alarm clock with the 30 pin male connector. This let's you plugin the 30 pin female plug so you can connect to your new iPhone 5 to your alarm.

Still the tweet in question makes zero sense.

BocoDragon

Well we need some clarification. Maybe he means the new Lightning connector doesn't do analog audio out? Cause the headphone jack obviously does, otherwise the headphones wouldn't work right?

Of course the headphone adaptor offers analog out.

The problem is that many speaker docks and car amps don't support 3.5 input (from the headphone jack), and even so, it would be incredibly ghetto having two wires coming out of the phone.... and having it all work is the whole point of it being an iPod speaker dock or an iPod car integration.

Plus the audio coming out of the dock connector was "line level volume"... if it's plugged into headphone jack, it thinks its headphones, and you have to fiddle with volume on both the phone and the stereo. And it sounds worse.

Basically they want to sell all new iPod accessories... this is ruthless.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Some people were speculating that the adaptor would have a cheap DAC, but I don't think that is the case.

I do not believe you will be getting analog audio line out from the dock of the iPhone 5.

It is possible the demonstration of the guy using the adaptor to plug his iPhone 5 into his car was him using it just as a USB cable and playing the files in his head unit. But I still don't think this is 100% the case, I think this could all be a weird misunderstanding.

I would like to know what Will is using as his source for this. Does anyone know what "Ipod Out" means specifically?

numble

iPod Out isn't exactly Audio Out, right? iPod Out is a duplication of the iPod on another interface:
vedoQ.png

BocoDragon

Say you have a alarm clock with the 30 pin male connector. This let's you plugin the 30 pin female plug so you can connect to your new iPhone 5 to your alarm.

Yeah but you'd connect it to an alarm clock.... and it still couldn't play the music without an additional cable. So you might as well not plug into an alarm clock at all. Just plug into the wall. The alarm clock is now useless in terms of interfacing with the iPhone and having it play music.

I think this MUST be a mistake. If it's not. WOW.

BocoDragon

iPod Out isn't exactly Audio Out, right? iPod Out is a duplication of the iPod on another interface:
vedoQ.png

That might be so.

That's almost as bad, however. No controlling of the iPhone via the speaker or car interface? Rage.

This is gonna piss off some car owners/speaker dock owners something fierce. And we're talking about devices that could be many hundreds of dollars to replace....

dc89

Got this from Macrumors.

No, it is analog video and iPod out--an obscure feature used mostly just in BMWs to export the full iPod classic style menu interface to a screen on the car. Not iPod control, not audio out. Something different.

Hope rekindled?

BocoDragon

I don't even have a speaker dock or an iPod car interface... but as someone who worked in mobile audio and car stereos in retail, this is gonna be a Cluster.... Fuck....

dc89

Wait ... So how would it connect to speaker doc? Did this just make all of my docs obsolete?

Edit: wait rumor?

From what I gather. iPod out is redundant. Which if you believe that macrumors guy is a method of outputting the iPod classic style of interface into a display in your car, he gave BMW's as an example.

Audio out is a different thing I guess. So the adapter should work perfectly. I'm going with false alarm, the original tweet I linked didn't really make sense though.

gohepcat

Banned
So there is one thing that is incredibly disappointing about this phone. When you shrink the space between the lens and sensor you have to shrink the sensor. That sucks.

All they needed to do is bump out the lens. Every other phone manufacture does this. You could find a way to make it look elegant. They sacrificed image quality for looks.

They could have leapfrogged everyone. Can you imagine if they made the whole phone 5% thinner instead of 18%? They could have doubled the battery life. They could have added a full stop on the camera, they could have increased the image quality.

BocoDragon

So basically "iPod Out" is not even the usual iPod Control signals... But some sort of niche Apple-specific control interface?

Will other interfaces still let you control tracks, display track titles, etc. on the speaker dock/car deck?

Clockwork

He's talking strictly about the Lightning port which is purely digital.

Depending on the interface, some vehicles used the 30-pin connector (native or USB) to both control the iPhone/iPod as well as pass the audio digitally to the head unit. Other vehicles used the digital connection as strictly to control the iPhon/iPod but used the analog portion of the 30-pin connector to pass audio to the head unit. Most 3rd party solutions (car adapters/analog aux input without iPod control/docks) also used the analog signal.

With the new Lightning connectors many of these would be rendered useless/obsolete.

Oersted

anyone else disappointed that the hours talk time that gets shorter and shorter? its handled like a who gives a f**k feature right now.

element

this makes sense. BMW cars in 2010 shipped with a 30 pin connector that accepted the "iPod Out" signal. All cars today use a standard USB connection and standard control interface.

If you use line-in (3.5mm jack), you are fine.
If you connect via USB, you are fine.
If you connect via Bluetooth, you are fine.
If you have a 2010 BMW, you are fucked.

BocoDragon

this makes sense. BMW cars in 2010 shipped with a 30 pin connector that accepted the "iPod Out" signal. All cars today use a standard USB connection and standard control interface.

And your average Car Deck with a hard-wired iPod dock connector....?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I think if you have any car or dock that uses the analog line out from your iPhone 30pin connector could mean you are fucked.

If it uses a digital signal from your 30pin connector, you should be fine.

So there is one thing that is incredibly disappointing about this phone. When you shrink the space between the lens and sensor you have to shrink the sensor. That sucks.

All they needed to do is bump out the lens. Every other phone manufacture does this. You could find a way to make it look elegant. They sacrificed image quality for looks.

They could have leapfrogged everyone. Can you imagine if they made the whole phone 5% thinner instead of 18%? They could have doubled the battery life. They could have added a full stop on the camera, they could have increased the image quality.

I get what you're saying, and I agree in principle, but I think they felt they needed to go for thinness. The 4/4S are already called 'bricks' by many people. in comparison to the newer phones right now that are crazy thin. Since the general shape stayed the same, I think they felt thinness was an important differentiator from previous versions, and another unique aspect. From a marketing perspective, I dont think I can disagree. Even with that, seems they were able to achieve great battery life, and the image quality and performance for the camera looks pretty outstanding from what we've seen.

Only in a couple of BMWs since late 2010.

That's very confusing. I had no idea there were two distinct iPod protocols coming out of the port. I assumed it was all just one method.

I think if you have any car or dock that uses the analog line out from your iPhone 30pin connector could mean you are fucked.

If it uses a digital signal from your 30pin connector, you should be fine.

How would you know which one it used?

I get what you're saying, and I agree in principle, but I think they felt they needed to go for thinness. The 4/4S are already called 'bricks' by many people. in comparison to the newer phones right now that are crazy thin. Since the general shape stayed the same, I think they felt thinness was an important differentiator from previous versions, and another unique aspect. From a marketing perspective, I dont think I can disagree. Even with that, seems they were able to achieve great battery life, and the image quality and performance for the camera looks pretty outstanding from what we've seen.

Who says this? I've never seen anyone complain that the 4/4S was too thick.

Clockwork

Pretty much all recent Hyundai/Kia's have an iPod in. The cable utilized on one end was the 30 pin connector and the other end was a USB (for contolling the iPod)+mini jack plug (for passing the audio). With Lightning, that cable would no longer work (even with the adapter as you still wouldn't be passing the analog audio)

Don't downplay this and try to say its just a BMW issue.

Yes there are other solutions you could get away with, but that will still require the purchase of new accessories and/or cabling.

element

Pretty much all recent Hyundai/Kia's have an iPod in.
Is it an ipod in or USB. Those are two different things.

It does appear that some car makers did controls via USB and audio via analog signal. In that case your car probably has an AUX/Line-In/3.5mm. Just use that :p

Top Bottom