• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

bionic77

I've called a few in LA, all quoted me between $150-$200. I think the iPhone 5 is significantly more expensive to repair than the 4/4s, which is only ~$75
I could not find it cheaper than 200. At that price I just got a new phone from Apple.

I also did not understand why it was so much more expensive to get it fixed. I remember getting my wife's 4 screen fixed for 50 bucks.

The lesson to be learned? Have a case if you are going to let your toddlers hold your phone!

big_z

man im going to have an aneurysm trying to decide which plan to take. im canadian and bringing my own iphone but all suggestions welcome.

my options are:

500 Local Minutes
5PM Evenings and Weekends
My Fav 10 Nationwide
5gb of Data
Unlimited Messaging
Call Display and Voice Mail
$500 subsidy left to pay off (this is a plan takeover with no phone)
$50 a month

or

400 nationwide minutes
5PM Evenings and Weekends
unlimited incoming
unlimited international text
Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting and Conference Calling
1GB data ($5/500MB if more needed)
$40 a month

Just got a iPhone 5 recently and I feel that the battery is not performing well. The usage stats are:

Usage: 6 Hours, 35 Minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 12 Hours

There is 12% battery left. Haven't used the phone that much today just listened to some music and emails. Have the emails set to fetch every 15 minutes.

Anyways, would this be considered on par???

when i had a iphone 4 i found the battery was much less than expected. two years in i could drain it into the red in less than 3 hours. turning off fetching and some other stuff helped a bit but i found the battery never lasted close to apples claims.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just got it...I had the small Sony clock for the 4, and this is definitely a good upgrade. The buttons seem to be oriented for people using it on a nightstand to their right, but I'll get used to it. My biggest problem is due to the stiffness of the new lightning connector, it takes a lot more effort to take it out of the dock. It sounds very good FOR A CLOCK RADIO. Feel like I have to disclaim that, since it's not a tremendous sound, but it has tons more range and a much better tone than the last small clock radio. Just don't listen to house music on it. Leonard Cohen sounds pretty great though.

Still need the link to where you got it from. :p

dark_chris

Been having so much fun with my iPhone. I am really enjoying everything that it has. I also noticed LTE appeared for a few hours in Chicago then disappeared. I took a screen cap of that.
IMG_0047copy_zpsccc21144.png

MarkusRJR

My friend has an upgrade in a week or two and is wondering if she should get the iPhone 5 now or wait a few month for the next iPhone?

Ryaaan14

Banned
My friend has an upgrade in a week or two and is wondering if she should get the iPhone 5 now or wait a few month for the next iPhone?
iPhone 5. Next will be a refresh model plus it'll be hard to get a hold of one until a month or so after release. 5 is a great phone anyway.

VoxPop

So I'm selling my phone today and the person would like it to remain jailbroken if possible. If I do erase all content and settings via the settings in the phone, does it get rid of the jailbreak as well? What's the best way to go about this?

Talon

You know, Apple should have the iPad and iPhone talk to each other more. It'd be great if the iPad would give notifications for phone calls.

Of course, the real dream is iMessage introducing a VOIP implementation. There's iMessage. There's Facetime. Time to hit the middle.

lionelhutz

You know, Apple should have the iPad and iPhone talk to each other more. It'd be great if the iPad would give notifications for phone calls.

Of course, the real dream is iMessage introducing a VOIP implementation. There's iMessage. There's Facetime. Time to hit the middle.

I want iOS 7 to use iCloud for notifications. If I clear a notification on my iPad, it also disappears on my phone. If the podcast app is any indication, I don't think iCloud is reliable enough yet to handle these types of tasks.

Appleman

I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet, VOIP would just be FaceTime without video so it should be a piece of cake...

Talon

I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet, VOIP would just be FaceTime without video so it should be a piece of cake...
I mean, honestly, it should be as seamless as iMessage. You don't have to think about where you're directing an iMessage, if that person is using an iPhone, it automatically reverts to iMessage. If not, it goes green.

Same thing should happen with voice.

Guess Who

Banned
Not really when most of them offer free voice now and charge per data usage.

Carriers offer unlimited voice but not free voice - there's a huge difference! Plus, if you take voice calls and SMS out of their control, carriers became basically nothing more than dumb data pipes, which is the last thing they want to be. There's a reason only AT&T took the iPhone in the US at launch, and why it's still the only real "carrier-free" phone sold directly through a carrier all these years later (as in, the carrier has no control over the hardware or software in the phone) - carriers want to control the entire phone experience and they don't want Apple (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) taking that away from them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I saw someone's 5 today after having it for a bit and the edges were so rubbed off it was ridiculous. Is this my future if I'm going naked? How could they even go with a design that scuffs so easily?

Pachimari

My black iPhone 5 is also really scuffed up at the sides but I have dropped it twice on concrete, probably within a month. I don't care anyway. I'll remain naked.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Dear god. My 4 looks like I just bought it two years later after being in my pocket naked, someone really fucked up when they went with the scratch-n-win sides on the 5.

Dear god. My 4 looks like I just bought it two years later after being in my pocket naked, someone really fucked up when they went with the scratch-n-win sides on the 5.

It looks amazing when new, but it doesn't stay like that. The sides on the white are regular grey so no scratching...unless you throw it on the floor

ecurbj

Yup. I was waiting for someone from this community to start posting about the scuff marks on the black iPhone 5. Once those scuffs happen its inevitable to get the black iPhone 5 to look like how it came out the box. Now the white is a different story. It's going on seven months and mines still look as new even after a few drops on the ground. It's holding up well.

In other news there is a new iOS update 6.1.4 available for the iPhone 5 only.

iOS 6.1.4: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1652
You can do it OTA or through iTunes.

Updated audio profile for speakerphone

That's about it.

2nd Blackberry just broke.

Thinking of finally making the jump. It'll cost me money, but I can afford it.

I would wait for the 5s but I need another phone now.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive site that offers unlock codes? I have to get an iPhone 5 but I'm getting it for half off as I have a lot of credits. I already have a currently working N4 so the iPhone is going to the gf on a different network. I'm in Canada if that's relevant.

I currently pay $82 a month for my 4s with unlimited data, 100 text messages, and some minutes (currently with a 'family plan' through my dad's work with AT&T).

When iPhone 5s or 6 comes out where can I get the cheapest plan in Utah?

My choices are pretty much as far as I can tell:
Verizon: $100 month (best service in the area, 2gb data, unlimited minutes and text)
Sprint: $80 month (I have no idea how good their coverage in the area is, unlimited text & data)

I feel like what I currently have and those options are way too much money... What can I do? I'll call the corporate AT&T guy and see what's going on and see what I can do about it, but I don't think I'll be able to do much....

Agent_J

is this the right place to ask the best possible data plan for american iPhone 5 owners?
all i want is truly unlimited data with no caps or throttles, what are my options?
it seems t-mobile is the best bet..

mrkgoo

Geez I don't see how one can afford to pay so much for cell service.

I'm on prepay and I pay NZ$19 a month (maybe equivalent to US$13-16 per month) for 5000 txt, 500 MB data and 50 minutes call time. Sure it's not much, but it allows me to get by. Make the odd call, check web while I'm out and about. No streaming of course.

A neat plan we have at the moment is a 'freebies' plan. When ever you add money to your prepay account, you get free data
and texts to use for a month.

What are the US prepay data options?

Husker86

I currently pay $82 a month for my 4s with unlimited data, 100 text messages, and some minutes (currently with a 'family plan' through my dad's work with AT&T).

When iPhone 5s or 6 comes out where can I get the cheapest plan in Utah?

My choices are pretty much as far as I can tell:
Verizon: $100 month (best service in the area, 2gb data, unlimited minutes and text)
Sprint: $80 month (I have no idea how good their coverage in the area is, unlimited text & data)

I feel like what I currently have and those options are way too much money... What can I do? I'll call the corporate AT&T guy and see what's going on and see what I can do about it, but I don't think I'll be able to do much....
I went Net10 with AT&T SIM. I buy 30 day cards from eBay for $38-41 (normal price is $50, or $45 if you do auto refill). Downside is you have to buy a phone unlocked for full price.

1.5GB data and unlimited everything else.

big_z

im stuck picking between white and black. are there any good screen protector like condoms that cover all the areas prone to paint damage? i dont like phone cases due to the added bulk.

I went Net10 with AT&T SIM. I buy 30 day cards from eBay for $38-41 (normal price is $50, or $45 if you do auto refill). Downside is you have to buy a phone unlocked for full price.

1.5GB data and unlimited everything else.

I got the iphone 5 for $150 brand new through AT&T when it was on sale, cancelled my contract and when to Straight Talk for $45 / month for unlimited everything ( they supposedly throttle data after 2GB but so far hasnt been an issue)

and somehow AT&T didnt even charge me an early termination fee so I guess I lucked out there

i had to cut down a regular sim card since Straight Talk doesnt offer nano-sims but its been working fine, only thing I dont have is LTE and Visual Voice Mail but for $45/month I can live without those

Husker86

I got the iphone 5 for $150 brand new through AT&T when it was on sale, cancelled my contract and when to Straight Talk for $45 / month for unlimited everything ( they supposedly throttle data after 2GB but so far hasnt been an issue)

and somehow AT&T didnt even charge me an early termination fee so I guess I lucked out there

i had to cut down a regular sim card since Straight Talk doesnt offer nano-sims but its been working fine, only thing I dont have is LTE and Visual Voice Mail but for $45/month I can live without those

I started off on Straight Talk, they throttled me after my first month. I used 1.4GB for the month, but the last day I used around 200MB. I was throttled the entire next month to 300kbps or less.

I switched to Net10 because, even though they're the same damn company, they at least tell you that you have 1.5GB on AT&T SIM so I don't have to worry about using a lot of data on one day causing me to get throttled.

From what I've read it's very dependent on area with Straight Talk so it is likely you wouldn't run into the same issues. I was most mad that I was throttled for the entire next month though...a different month than when I used "a lot" of data on one day.

mattiewheels

Why would they throttle you the next month though, I thought those things reset at the end of the pay period?

Marco1

I have just jumped back to ios and the iphone 5 today after being totally disappointed with my galaxyS4.
After getting home and setting my ip5 up I have found that the display is very warm with a yellow tinge to it yet my sons ipod has this very vibrant cool, bright colour.
Did apple change the colour temp on the ip5 or is apples QC just getting worse?

mrkgoo

I have just jumped back to ios and the iphone 5 today after being totally disappointed with my galaxyS4.
After getting home and setting my ip5 up I have found that the display is very warm with a yellow tinge to it yet my sons ipod has this very vibrant cool, bright colour.

Which iPod? The latest one? If its an older one there's a better chance that the iPod is too cool.

Colour temperature can be very subjective and people tend to value coolness over accuracy. I've calibrated computer displays and all of the calibrations come out warmer.

The iPhone 5 is supposed to be one of the best displays out there for anything, in part that it is very well calibrated.

Rasec

Well after ten years with my nokia 1100 i decided to get myself a present. xP

Very happy and it's my little baby as my girlfriend calls it. xD
A shame about the edged getting rubbed easy but i always use a case.

Only thing i don't like is the zagg screen protector i have on it.

I'm thinking on getting a Spigen glass screen protector so it gets perfect for me.
I hope xP

I spend way to much time tweaking this thing! xD

Here's my lockscreen atm, normal and using the camera grabber (different wallpapers so it's less boring xP).

Talon

Anand recently put up a color temperature comparison and the iPhone 5 was the best calibrated out of the box. The iPod Touches are abundantly cooler.

Vyer

Well after ten years with my nokia 1100 i decided to get myself a present. xP

Very happy and it's my little baby as my girlfriend calls it. xD
A shame about the edged getting rubbed easy but i always use a case.

Only thing i don't like is the zagg screen protector i have on it.

I'm thinking on getting a Spigen glass screen protector so it gets perfect for me.
I hope xP

I spend way to much time tweaking this thing! xD

Here's my lockscreen atm, normal and using the camera grabber (different wallpapers so it's less boring xP).

man, that's like what, a 6 year jump with that Nokia? would be an interesting experience. congrats

Rasec

man, that's like what, a 6 year jump with that Nokia? would be an interesting experience. congrats
Yup. xD
It's been quite an interesting ride.

The funnier thing was when i went to buy it and the vodafone girl when seeing me jump from the nokia 1100 to the i5 she said "OMG!! What a jump!!!" five times in a row! xD

What can i say, the 1100 is a great phone and i will still use it here and there. xP

ecurbj

Man. This is like the third time I completely drained the battery down to the point the battery charging indicator looked like this,

ugCZTxh.jpg

lol!

Antti

I always wondered why Siri cant turn off the iphone?

Because the amount of time it takes to press the Home button to bring up Siri is almost equal to the amount of time it takes to turn off the phone by holding down the Power button + to not turn the phone off by accident (voice recognition mess-up)?

Top Bottom