• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
My pone has The following usage time

Use 8 hours and 40 min
Stand by 22 hours and 40
Should I be worried or is this ok?

I still have 5 percent

Husker86

My pone has The following usage time

Use 8 hours and 40 min
Stand by 22 hours and 40
Should I be worried or is this ok?

I still have 5 percent

Sounds alright. Was a decent chunk of the usage time done with the screen on? Only way I'd think that was bad is if you were just listening to music/podcasts with the screen off most of the time.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Sounds alright. Was a decent chunk of the usage time done with the screen on? Only way I'd think that was bad is if you were just listening to music/podcasts with the screen off most of the time.
Well it was a mix of both,more time was spend listening to music, if I get the battery replaces for a new one ,will that work ok?

dark_chris

So I switched from the Android to the iPhone today.
Im so happy with it thus far!
But I did decide to have the Android mascot... =)

420713_10200229090987388_884125744_n_zpsa6885302.jpg

Talon

So since when does FaceTime tell you how much data the call used? Never noticed it before.

Apparently this 30 minute call was 438 MB.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So I switched from the Android to the iPhone today.
Im so happy with it thus far!
But I did decide to have the Android mascot... =)

420713_10200229090987388_884125744_n_zpsa6885302.jpg

Mind if I ask why you switched? And from what phone?

I'm seriously toying with the idea of moving away from my iPhone 5 and onto an HTC One. The build quality is finally there, the hardware is there, and the "hiccups" are 97% gone, it seems. The biggest things pulling me toward Android is the desire to try something new - iOS is a tad stale, no doubt - and also I am a big stickler on screens, and I love the HTC's near-perfect display and 1080p resolution.

Things that keep me hesitant are moving away from iMessage, my phone's amazing integration with my Macbook Pro and iPad, and my comfort with it.

dark_chris

I'm seriously toying with the idea of moving away from my iPhone 5 and onto an HTC One. The build quality is finally there, the hardware is there, and the "hiccups" are 97% gone, it seems. The biggest things pulling me toward Android is the desire to try something new - iOS is a tad stale, no doubt - and also I am a big stickler on screens, and I love the HTC's near-perfect display and 1080p resolution.

Things that keep me hesitant are moving away from iMessage, my phone's amazing integration with my Macbook Pro and iPad, and my comfort with it.

I had a Samsung Galaxy S2.
I keep dealing with many hiccups and problems with constant crashing. Sure, one can say it might just be the phone but every android phone had its hiccups, the same hiccups. I got kinda sick of it and decided to root it and maybe install some tweaks to make it better - nope, didn't work. So I just decided to switch to an IOS device.

Vyer

If its the "try something new" angle you are looking for, I could relate. i also wanted to spend more time with Android so I went the Nexus 7 route. Good OS and a decent tablet, cheaper, but still let me explore the system and 'something different'. Android is fine, but In the end there wasn't really anything I found to justify moving my phone from something I'd been generally happy with. This of course varies depending on the person, but I found the 7 a good way to experiment without spending much money or dealing with carriers or contracts or multi year commitments.

Okay, maybe not my finest moment. I dunno, I guess even when it's 'feature' they still seem kinda tasteful instead of bleating buzzwords at me.

I'll be quiet now.

Aiii

So not worth it
I had a Samsung Galaxy S2.
I keep dealing with many hiccups and problems with constant crashing. Sure, one can say it might just be the phone but every android phone had its hiccups, the same hiccups. I got kinda sick of it and decided to root it and maybe install some tweaks to make it better - nope, didn't work. So I just decided to switch to an IOS device.

If its the "try something new" angle you are looking for, I could relate. i also wanted to spend more time with Android so I went the Nexus 7 route. Good OS and a decent tablet, cheaper, but still let me explore the system and 'something different'. Android is fine, but In the end there wasn't really anything I found to justify moving my phone from something I'd been generally happy with. This of course varies depending on the person, but I found the 7 a good way to experiment without spending much money or dealing with carriers or contracts or multi year commitments.

I went from a Galaxy S2 back to iPhone as well. Android telephones are fine, they work well, the hardware is good and some of them are quite slick looking. But in the end, for all the customizability and countless functions they add to those things, they never function quite as well as the iPhone does. The app selection and general quality of the apps are also quite a step below iOS, which is the main reason I went back to the iPhone.

I also have a Nexus 7, but that too I replaced with an iPad Mini fairly quickly. Once again, many crashes, bad app support / lower quality apps (like Spotify) and the fact that I constantly had to go into Task Manager to kill stuff to speed the thing back up. No, not my cup of tea.

mrkgoo

So since when does FaceTime tell you how much data the call used? Never noticed it before.

Apparently this 30 minute call was 438 MB.
I think it was in iOS 6, when they introduced FaceTime over cellular.

In my usage, it has been around 4-5MB per minute. But obviously it probably scales with bandwidth.

Also the new iPhone ad is one if my favourites in a long time.

Bgamer90

Banned
Did you come from Android? What's your likes and dislikes about it so far?

I'm actually coming from a 4S.

Joined my family in a new plan.

So far I don't really have many dislikes outside of some of the apps I use still not supporting the bigger screen.

Overall, the screen itself is nice and is the perfect balance in terms of size and one hand use in my opinion. Bigger screen than the 4S (obviously) but the color of the screen itself is better too. Even though the size of the screen is just a .5" increase, I noticed the difference immediately when surfing the web and watching videos.

And to restate what many reviewers have already said, the phone is really light. Night and day difference in comparison to the 4S.

LTE speeds have been great, the extra 32 GB of space is a huge plus for me (moving from a 32 GB iPhone 4S to a 64 GB iPhone 5; don't want to rely on cloud for music); overall it's a really great phone and I'm looking forward to seeing the changes that will be made to iOS 7. To be honest I feel that the 4S to 5 is a bigger jump than when I moved from the 3GS to 4S.

My iphone 5 power button is having issues. I have to press it multiple times sometimes to respond and it a hinderance when taking screenshots. I bought it soon after launch, is it still under warranty?

VoxPop

My iphone 5 power button is having issues. I have to press it multiple times sometimes to respond and it a hinderance when taking screenshots. I bought it soon after launch, is it still under warranty?

Its a widespread problem apparently. Had the same issue. In and out of the Apple Store with a new one in 5 minutes.

big_z

if i dont stream music or watch much video how much data on a plan is ideal? i mainly browse the web, usually gaf.

i tried to estimate how much was used using a data tracker and it said 136MB in 4 pages of gaf. teh fuck. does an embedded youtube that i did not click and a handful of pics/gifs really chew through that much?

Talon

if i dont stream music or watch much video how much data on a plan is ideal? i mainly browse the web, usually gaf.

i tried to estimate how much was used using a data tracker and it said 136MB in 4 pages of gaf. teh fuck. does an embedded youtube that i did not click and a handful of pics/gifs really chew through that much?
I have a 3 gig plan, and I've never come close to crossing that threshold even when streaming music on the commute and occasionally watching video when I have time to kill.

Now, Facetime uses a ton of data.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You have a link to this? I don't see it on Amazon. Let me know how it is.
Just got it...I had the small Sony clock for the 4, and this is definitely a good upgrade. The buttons seem to be oriented for people using it on a nightstand to their right, but I'll get used to it. My biggest problem is due to the stiffness of the new lightning connector, it takes a lot more effort to take it out of the dock. It sounds very good FOR A CLOCK RADIO. Feel like I have to disclaim that, since it's not a tremendous sound, but it has tons more range and a much better tone than the last small clock radio. Just don't listen to house music on it. Leonard Cohen sounds pretty great though.

About how much "Other" data should I have on my iPhone? I just plugged in my phone to iTunes, and it says I have 1.13 GB of "Other" data, and that seems like more than it normally is. What is everybody else's like?

mrkgoo

About how much "Other" data should I have on my iPhone? I just plugged in my phone to iTunes, and it says I have 1.13 GB of "Other" data, and that seems like more than it normally is. What is everybody else's like?
Theresa's no such thing as 'normal'. It's all caches, extra downloads, other files etc (as well as orphan installers and such).

My iPad is like 2-3GB, my iPhone maybe 1GB. Depends on how many apps and which apps you have.

mrkgoo

I have a 3 gig plan, and I've never come close to crossing that threshold even when streaming music on the commute and occasionally watching video when I have time to kill.

Now, Facetime uses a ton of data.
Depends in your connection. Where I am FaceTime chews through about 4.5 MB per minute.

Karish

I'm pretty sure you could find a cheaper price from one of those repair shops.

I've called a few in LA, all quoted me between $150-$200. I think the iPhone 5 is significantly more expensive to repair than the 4/4s, which is only ~$75

Sarquiss_

Just got a iPhone 5 recently and I feel that the battery is not performing well. The usage stats are:

Usage: 6 Hours, 35 Minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 12 Hours

There is 12% battery left. Haven't used the phone that much today just listened to some music and emails. Have the emails set to fetch every 15 minutes.

Anyways, would this be considered on par???

mrkgoo

Just got a iPhone 5 recently and I feel that the battery is not performing well. The usage stats are:

Usage: 6 Hours, 35 Minutes
Standby: 1 Day, 12 Hours

There is 12% battery left. Haven't used the phone that much today just listened to some music and emails. Have the emails set to fetch every 15 minutes.

Anyways, would this be considered on par???

I've said it before - its very difficult to compare battery life, because there are so many factors. There really is no 'ball park'. Usage for each user wildly varies. Connection and data usage is different by location.

I would say the best indicator would be usage on wifi that doesn't involve games (can be really high usage) or music playing alone (can be really low usage) and at moderate brightness.

For example, no games it music, I get possibly the stated 10 hours on wifi.

I only get around 5 hours on 3G usually, though they state 8 hours. I imagine it'd the connection I have here.

Top Bottom