• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Because the amount of time it takes to press the Home button to bring up Siri is almost equal to the amount of time it takes to turn off the phone by holding down the Power button + to not turn the phone off by accident (voice recognition mess-up)?

Grant but why give that option?! Experiment a little in terms of accessibility

mrkgoo

Grant but why give that option?! Experiment a little in terms of accessibility

I don't even turn off the phone except when I want to do a hard reset. Do we really need voice control to do so?

Apple have never really been one to give excess options and let users choose. They tend to give us what they deem is necessary.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So my iPhone 3GS that I've been using as an iPod blew up. Good to know that it didn't burn the house down. Glad Apple doesn't care.

It's the thickness of a slice of bread.

A6wpsJq.jpg

kharma45

So my iPhone 3GS that I've been using as an iPod blew up. Good to know that it didn't burn the house down. Glad Apple doesn't care.

I was just about to post about this too, this has happened to my gf's 3GS over the last day or so too :\ That's a pretty fucking worrying issue to have with them.

MarkusRJR

My old iPod touch had the same thing happen to it, but instead of having the back shoot out, the metal curves that go to the screen bent out and the screen was pushed out a bit.

DyTonic

Banned
Woke up last week friday iphone died, found out I had to pay a $200 deductible for a new one. I'm done with Apple, straight up.. You guys hyped me into spending my hard earned cash and now I need a new phone.

LCfiner

I don't get it. how old was the phone? more than one year old or less? I've never had to pay for a replacement of a phone while still under warranty.

Are you out of warranty?

Woke up last week friday iphone died, found out I had to pay a $200 deductible for a new one. I'm done with Apple, straight up.. You guys hyped me into spending my hard earned cash and now I need a new phone.
so you got unlucky and you're mad at apple? Could have happened with any phone. It sucks but other companies won't even give you new ones for 200.

Also like said above, you shouldn't have to pay at all if you recently got it, just go to an apple store. They usually understand. Unless it's old as hell.

Marco1

My 20 year old car wouldn't start for me this morning, I'm fucking done with Ford.

DyTonic

Banned
so you got unlucky and you're mad at apple? Could have happened with any phone. It sucks but other companies won't even give you new ones for 200.

Also like said above, you shouldn't have to pay at all if you recently got it, just go to an apple store. They usually understand. Unless it's old as hell.

It's been more than 12 months. This is the first Apple product I ever owned, idc how long you owned your Ford --_-- at least you had 20 years. I only had 14 months, the updates screwed something up. Gave them a shot, they blew it.. my money down the drain...

It's been more than 12 months. This is the first Apple product I ever owned, idc how long you owned your Ford --_-- at least you had 20 years. I only had 14 months, the updates screwed something up. Gave them a shot, they blew it.. my money down the drain...
after owning the phone for a year, getting a new device for 200 is still better service than you'll get anywhere else if your phone messed up. you got unlucky mang.

DyTonic

Banned
I'm not spending anymore money on Apple, really pissed me off .. 5 days without a phone for UNKNOWN reasons lol. I googled so many fixes and nothing worked, who should I blame then..

LCfiner

I'm not spending anymore money on Apple, really pissed me off .. 5 days without a phone for UNKNOWN reasons lol. I googled so many fixes and nothing worked, who should I blame then..

everyone's looking for someone to blame. :p

but, honestly, if you need to point a finger, Apple is to blame for selling a product that stopped working after an unreasonably short period of time. sorry it didn't work out for you.

knitoe

Well, you are out of warranty. At least, Apple is willing to give you another phone for $200. As to the update screwing something, if it was the case, it would be all over the net. More likely, the hardware was already failing.

VoxPop

What did you expect from one year manufacturer warranty? How sure are you that the issues were due to the update?

mrkgoo

everyone's looking for someone to blame. :p

but, honestly, if you need to point a finger, Apple is to blame for selling a product that stopped working after an unreasonably short period of time. sorry it didn't work out for you.

Yes. I think it's totally reasonable to blame apple.

I'd still like to know exactly what's wrong. I severely doubt an update did it, although its possible that an update brought the problem to light (for example the phone gas a problem and can never boot from cold, which you face never done until the update).

But yeah, unlucky. It's not money down the drain, however. You had 14 months! Did you like the phone during that time? If not then maybe you did lose the money.

I still boggle a little at the cost though. I know money is money, but my phone cost US$1100. If it goes out of warranty and fails and apple let me gave a new one for $200, I'd be ecstatic.

Sullichin

I caved and spent the $229 for a replacement for my shattered phone...It's time I finally get a case, I break my phones too often. Open for suggestions as I haven't seen a single case I like.

Talon

What happened to the phone? If it's a hardware failure straight-up that isn't the result of a drop or water damage, Apple tends to flat out replace your device.

mrkgoo

If out of warranty, you can be out of luck. That said, 14 months out is not far out. If apple stores are an option it's definitely worth a go.

NZer

Ok, I have a possibly stupid question. Say I have an old iphone, which I sync with an old PC. I am planning to buy a new laptop and iphone. If I login with my apple ID to the new phone, and then download apps from icloud will it download with all settings/files as they are on the other phone? Or just the same as if they were downloaded fresh from the app store?

The thing is I have certain files/images saved in some of my iphone apps, and was wondering if I'd have to do some complicated transfer, or if icloud might prove useful for carrying over to my new iphone, skipping over both the old and new computers.

Ashhong

If out of warranty, you can be out of luck. That said, 14 months out is not far out. If apple stores are an option it's definitely worth a go.

Seems like the guy is pretty dead set on hating Apple and just wants to give up on them at this point.

mrkgoo

Ok, I have a possibly stupid question. Say I have an old iphone, which I sync with an old PC. I am planning to buy a new laptop and iphone. If I login with my apple ID to the new phone, and then download apps from icloud will it download with all settings/files as they are on the other phone? Or just the same as if they were downloaded fresh from the app store?

The thing is I have certain files/images saved in some of my iphone apps, and was wondering if I'd have to do some complicated transfer, or if icloud might prove useful for carrying over to my new iphone, skipping over both the old and new computers.

Settings and saves aren't synced via iCloud unless specifically programmed for it by the app.

If you login and download apps, they'll be as new.

If you backup via iCloud, this DOES includes saves and settings for the apps, so if you choose to restore a new phone from your old iCloud backup, then it will just like your old phone (it will actually automatically redownload the apps you had in the later part of the restore.

Pandemic

Hey, sorry for being off topic. Can't find the 4S thread.

I have had my iPhone 4S for 9 months now, and earlier this week a green pixel has popped up on the bottom right... It's noticeable when on a black layout, hardly noticeable on white, etc.

It's been bugging me a lot as I keep looking at, and if I were to sell the phone, I don't want a complaint about the dead/stuck pixel.

The phone is still under warranty, but would Apple bother with a small green dead/stuck pixel? Any point me going in store? Or is it possible to fix it myself?

Can it get worse?

Thanks

lupinko

Hey, sorry for being off topic. Can't find the 4S thread.

I have had my iPhone 4S for 9 months now, and earlier this week a green pixel has popped up on the bottom right... It's noticeable when on a black layout, hardly noticeable on white, etc.

It's been bugging me a lot as I keep looking at, and if I were to sell the phone, I don't want a complaint about the dead/stuck pixel.

The phone is still under warranty, but would Apple bother with a small green dead/stuck pixel? Any point me going in store? Or is it possible to fix it myself?

Can it get worse?

Thanks

If it's still under warranty you can definitely try the Apple store, they are really helpful.

dude

dude
After years of living without a smartphone, my mom bought me a new iPhone 5... And I'm really loving it so far.
Can any one point me to some list of essential tools and apps?

ecurbj

After years of living without a smartphone, my mom bought me a new iPhone 5... And I'm really loving it so far.
In the App Store on the Features tab. Go all the way down till you see "Essential App Collection". There you will see the best and recommended apps.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Adding to what ecurbj said, this thread has some good general suggestions too.

Erebus

Anyone know why my FB app still hasn't updated with the new chat heads? All of my friends have them by now (including on Android phones).

mrkgoo

Anyone know why my FB app still hasn't updated with the new chat heads? All of my friends have them by now (including on Android phones).
I still don't have chat heads either. It might be a feature they are rolling out per user? I haven't updated to the new version released today though.

ecurbj

I still don't have chat heads either. It might be a feature they are rolling out per user? I haven't updated to the new version released today though.
Do that and then report back. They added the feature today with the update and they advertise the chat head feature on your News Feed.

mrkgoo

Do that and then report back. They added the feature today with the update and they advertise the chat head feature on your News Feed.
They've said it has been in the iPhone app for the past few updates, but I never saw it. Granted I don't use messages much.

They did say when they released it, it would happen over the next couple weeks.

Top Bottom