• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

mrkgoo

Wish I had that. On Sunday, in the course of I would say 4-5 hours of moderately heavy use, it ended up being down to almost nothing. It's very annoying.
I get around 10 hours when at home on wifi. 5 on 3G.

Some games will chew through battery though.

Talon

I really am very dissatisfied with the battery life. I feel like even the 4S was better.

The 5 can't even handle more than a few hours of MODERATELY heavy usage. Location services on is still a massive drain. Internet is still a big drain.

Often when I'm traveling or navigating, darn right I need to use those things at least frequently. Yet even after one afternoon of using them INFREQUENTLY, you can easily be down to a red bar.
I pull between 8-12 hours of usage. Less if I'm gaming.

One Exhange account for work - Google accounts through Mailbox.

I really am very dissatisfied with the battery life. I feel like even the 4S was better.

The 5 can't even handle more than a few hours of MODERATELY heavy usage. Location services on is still a massive drain. Internet is still a big drain.

Often when I'm traveling or navigating, darn right I need to use those things at least frequently. Yet even after one afternoon of using them INFREQUENTLY, you can easily be down to a red bar.
5S, man. That second (well, third, I guess) generation LTE chip.

I posted this in the iTunes thread, but no one could seem to solve my problem.

I've been synching my iPhone my Macbook Air lately (in lieu of my older laptop) and things have been mostly fine--music, photos, etc. are synching without issue. But I recently decided to give my phone a fresh install, which made me realize that apps aren't synching. My old laptop would upload all of the apps from my phone to my computer, but this isn't happening now. What should I do?

lionelhutz

I posted this in the iTunes thread, but no one could seem to solve my problem.

I've been synching my iPhone my Macbook Air lately (in lieu of my older laptop) and things have been mostly fine--music, photos, etc. are synching without issue. But I recently decided to give my phone a fresh install, which made me realize that apps aren't synching. My old laptop would upload all of the apps from my phone to my computer, but this isn't happening now. What should I do?

Settings > iTunes & App Store > Automatic Downloads = On

VoxPop

Nice.. finally got around to getting my phone replaced for the faulty sleep button. In and out in 5 minutes with a mint model, no questions asked :) My old one had a few chips from dropping it on concrete so it worked out. Best part is they gave it back to me on 6.1.2 so I can still jailbreak it!

Ashhong

Anybody hear any rattling in their phone? Looked it up and some people have loose batteries, and some have loose vibration motors. When I'm tapping on the middle of the screen I can hear it best. I can also hear it if I have my ear to my phone and the vibration goes off. After it vibrates I can hear this continued clicking sound, as if the motor is winding down or something.

Really want to exchange it but don't want to lose Jailbreak....I assume new phones are at 6.1.3? Or whatever the unjailbreakable one is? But then again, I would get a refurbished phone I think? hmm....is it worth the risk...

Swag

Depends on the country and if you want LTE. There are like 3 different iPhone 5s, aside from colour and storage space that differ in LTE radios.
Is there a resource that details this information for networking idiots? Want to buy my friend one in South Africa, prices down here are rape.

ecurbj

How do you guys keep track/monitor your data usage? Is there an app to do that?
Um. Each carrier has an app in the App Store that you can use that can show you how much data you use. Or you can always go through your carrier website and check there using Safari browser or any other browser you have installed.

idwl

So i dropped my phone from around knee height and the screen didnt shatter but theres a vertical white line i guess from the pressure of the fall , the screen works fine except across the vertical line that runs through the whole screen. How much would it take to fix? Do i have to change the whole screen? I hate how fragile it is

Karish

My iPhone 5 glass shattered when I dropped it (sober) the other day. I have insurance, is that my best bet? Any other options?

RBH

Is there a rumored date on the 5s yet? The battery woes of the 5 make my wife not willing to jump from 4 to 5. I don't blame her with the complaints I've read and heard from friends.
Since there's been no news on a developer beta for iOS7 thus far, my guess is that we'll see the 5S in August or September at the earliest.

Karish

It should be $180 with Verizon. The funny thing is 95% of the time they ship you a brand new iPhone 5 in the factory box and everything.

Might just do that, sell it, and go Android. We will see. Kinda bored of this thing right now, iOS7 needs to be revolutionary...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm still not able to find a clock radio with a lightning connector that suits my needs (small, prominent control buttons). Getting kind of worried that it's been this long since release and all that's around are the those big desktop docks.

I've been using my phone naked for a few days. I can't go back to cases. It's like I have a brand new phone. I was using a very slim case too.

I've been using my phone named for a few days. I can't go back to cases. It's like I have a brand new phone. I was using a very slim case too.

I do that every now and then. Then I think about dropping it and go back to a case again.

I noticed mine took a few dents somehow last time it was naked. Never dropped it or anything, my only guess is knocking it on a benchtop corner or something while it's in my pocket. Annoying.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm still not able to find a clock radio with a lightning connector that suits my needs (small, prominent control buttons). Getting kind of worried that it's been this long since release and all that's around are the those big desktop docks.

Yeah, it's odd. I'd like to get a few docks for around my apartment to play music with and one with a clock for my bed but have yet to see any big name ones.

Mindwipe

The Lightning situation is really bugging me.

I can't believe it's still so difficult to find a clock radio. Or a decent, nice looking dock with the connector designed so it actually works while the phone is in a case (arrgghhhh).

Lightning has absolutely decimated the iOS accessory market :-(

Mindwipe

This does the job for me, nice looking, compatible with some cases (like an Incipio Feather or Belkin Ultrathin) and has an integrated lightning cable so you don't have to bring your own like a lot of the early docks. It's quite nice.

http://store.apple.com/au/product/HB369X/A/belkin-charge-sync-lightning-dock

Doesn't work with my case because the adaptor isn't raised up enough.

I actually headdesked in the store when testing it because it's such an obvious design cockup.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Doesn't work with my case because the adaptor isn't raised up enough.

I actually headdesked in the store when testing it because it's such an obvious design cockup.

The little 'chub' of black rubber is mandated by Apple I was told.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Yeah, it's odd. I'd like to get a few docks for around my apartment to play music with and one with a clock for my bed but have yet to see any big name ones.

The Lightning situation is really bugging me.

I can't believe it's still so difficult to find a clock radio. Or a decent, nice looking dock with the connector designed so it actually works while the phone is in a case (arrgghhhh).

Lightning has absolutely decimated the iOS accessory market :-(

I finally found this one and got it from Amazon, it's pretty much what I needed but I hope the odd shape suits me after I see it in person:

71cwsawLiBL._SL1500_.jpg

BodySystem Lars

Neo Member
So, getting tired of my old otter box, plus it's falling apart. Anyone have any suggestions on possible iPhone 4 cases? I like how the otter box has an elevated front to prevent the screen from touching/scratching when face down. But it's just too bulky and time for a replacement.

I liked the "Nixon the Glove" case but it's out of stock...

Overall, just want a relatively small case, that is reliable and sturdy. And not break the bank? Any ideas? Or personal favorites?

So, getting tired of my old otter box, plus it's falling apart. Anyone have any suggestions on possible iPhone 4 cases? I like how the otter box has an elevated front to prevent the screen from touching/scratching when face down. But it's just too bulky and time for a replacement.

Overall, just want a relatively small case, that is reliable and sturdy. And not break the bank? Any ideas? Or personal favorites?

I quite liked the Griffin Reveal line of cases. They have the rubber around the sides for drop protection, and the slight lip around the front to help protect the screen, as well as hard plastic backing.

Not going to protect your phone from a nuclear blast, but I found it fine for normal day-to-day usage.

Wizman23

Banned
I have been having some problems with my iphone 5 and google has been no help. Everytime I click on link through twitter it just loads and loads and loads and eventually I get a pop up saying "A server with the specified hostname could not be found". I would say this happens on about 80% of the links I click on. It's like winning the lottery when one actually works. Pictures on twitter won't load either as I click on it and the screen goes completely black and then back to my twitter feed. The app store also takes about 5 minutes to load and sometimes my app updates wont load at all. Happens on both LTE and wifi and both of those signals are fast. Any help would be appreciated.

Talon

Incase snap is the best one I used. Minimal but provides protection from drops. Suffered about three drops sans scratches.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Hey folks, I have a question about warranty stuff.

My Power button on the top of my iPhone 5 barely works. I did not get Applecare. Am I totally fucked? Or if I take it in to the Genius Bar, will they still look at it and possibly switch it out for one that isn't defective?

As far as I know, I didn't get it wet or anything. It's been in a case since Day 1. I've only taken it out recently because it's easier to get the faulty button to work without the case on.

I do have other insurance on it. I just want Apple to replace my phone if I can since I think it's the device crapping out on me, not anything I did to it.

ecurbj

Hey folks, I have a question about warranty stuff.

My Power button on the top of my iPhone 5 barely works. I did not get Applecare. Am I totally fucked? Or if I take it in to the Genius Bar, will they still look at it and possibly switch it out for one that isn't defective?

As far as I know, I didn't get it wet or anything. It's been in a case since Day 1. I've only taken it out recently because it's easier to get the faulty button to work without the case on.
They will swap it out. Just schedule an appointment and go in. Explain the problem. If it shows up while your there and they can't fix it. They will swap it out under warranty.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
They will swap it out. Just schedule an appointment and go in. Explain the problem. If it shows up while your there and they can't fix it. They will swap it out under warranty.
Fantastic. Thanks. I'll try and get an appointment for today if I can. There's no way it won't show up when I go in. This is sort of bizarre.

Pachimari

Plantronics Bluetooth headsets STILL don't work with iPhone 5?

It's a real bummer to me as I bought a quite expensive one just before I got my 5. =(

Top Bottom