• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

ChanHuk

Banned
Wait, what? I'm may end up getting an unlocked iPhone 5 (because they didn't drop the iPhone 4 to 375 :/) and I would like to know if there's another way to get it for less than $649?

Good luck on getting any kind of a discount on Apple products, they have prices held down by the cock.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
You know what? Fuck it.

I love the way the "ear pods" look. I really do. I know they have a stupid name, and probably won't have the sound quality that Apple boasts, but I really like the design.

Also:
Bellsprout.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I would expect unlocked iPhone 5s will be available in canada right away, no?

I mean... It's not like we have any choice of carrier anyways. It's rogers, bell or telus.

knitoe

SO can I just sign new contract with ATT, end contract in few month, pay the money and get it unlocked?
Are you currently still on contract? If yes, you will have to pay service for both until the old contract end and you can cancel it. If no, you can end/start new contract or upgrade/renew your current contract.

Wait, what? I'm may end up getting an unlocked iPhone 5 (because they didn't drop the iPhone 4 to 375 :/) and I would like to know if there's another way to get it for less than $649?

Nope. Only full price iPhone comes factory unlock.

raven777

I'm assuming you're not an AT&T customer. They want a $250 deposit for a new line.

So they still have deposits? they used to be $500 before.

Are you currently still on contract? If yes, you will have to pay service for both until the old contract end and you can cancel it. If no, you can end/start new contract or upgrade/renew your current contract.
No I am not in contract. I am using prepaid go-phone at the moment.

If I start contract, I pay $250 deposit and if I cancel the contract before it expires I won't get the deposit back or something?

If you pre-order from AT&T, will it allow in-store pickup or only through mail?

Is one preferable? And if you pre-order through apple, can you pick up from AT&T store?

Bah, so much work, lol

knitoe

If I start contract, I pay $250 deposit and if I cancel the contract before it expires I won't get the deposit back or something?

You should get your deposit back, but you will have to pay a early termination fee. The amount depends on how much longer your contract is still. Anyway, since you want a unlock, just buy it full price. You don't need to have a contract with those.

Cudder

My girlfriend wants to upgrade to the 5 on Rogers (she's due for an upgrade), but she went to sleep. Will I somehow be able to pre order her one on Apple's site when they go live?

Like do I need any of her account info or anything?

raven777

You should get your deposit back, but you will have to pay a early termination fee. The amount depends on how much longer your contract is still. Anyway, since you want a unlock, just buy it full price. You don't need to have a contract with those.

but can you buy full price with att right away with today's preorder?

elsk

Banned
be ready to pay close to a thousand

factory unlocked 4s' are 649$

the iPhone 5 is going to be 649US$, it's surely a lot and is overpriced as hell but hey... my iPhone EDGE worked for since nov 2007 until May 2012. I think 649 for 5 years phone is going to be ok this time.

Cudder

the iPhone 5 is going to be 649US$, it's surely a lot and is overpriced as hell but hey... my iPhone EDGE worked for since nov 2007 until May 2012. I think 649 for 5 years phone is going to be ok this time.

Every high end smartphone retails for about that out of contract. I'm just thankful that it doesn't get any higher than that.

elsk

Banned
Every high end smartphone retails for about that out of contract. I'm just thankful that it doesn't get any higher than that.

Galaxy Nexus unlocked is 350$USD since like 3-5 months ago! I don't really like the new iPhone that much, to be honest, but iOS is too good.

Jimrpg

grrr... there's absolutely nothing wrong with my 4s and Ive kept it in mint condition too - had it since launch... but the iphone 5 is absolutely class and the extra screen space would be really good.

i can't really justify another purchase at the moment though seeing as I got the macbook retina mid year...

and before the 4s I had a nokia 6700 classic and was kinda ancient...

really want the 5 (i will probably bite as soon as my telco gets the nano sim...) but its sad the 4s was an incredible phone and unfortunately all too short a life...

DrEvil

not a medical professional

Yep, it's $699 for the 16gb here in Canada for the 5... buying mine unlocked incase I ever need to re-sell it.

I'm upgrading from a 3G.. this one will last me until at least the 6S or 7 rolls around.

elsk

Banned
Right, but when it came out it was the same price as the i5 is.

I think it was cheaper, no? Still, iPhone 4S is still 549$, and the iPhone 4 is 450$!

Galaxy Nexus is obsolete in like four weeks.

I think it's a very good smartphone, unlocked, and specially for that price. You can't buy a new unlocked iPhone 4 for that price. If they announce a new version, it will be interesting to see if they drop the price of the Galaxy Nexus even more. I would even buy one for 199$ to replace my iPhone.

knitoe

but can you buy full price with att right away with today's preorder?

Full price 4S were available from Apple around launch so I would expect the same with the IP5. Try getting one from Apple. Then, take it to whatever provider you want to setup and activate.

Cudder

My girlfriend wants to upgrade to the 5 on Rogers (she's due for an upgrade), but she went to sleep. Will I somehow be able to pre order her one on Apple's site when they go live?

Like do I need any of her account info or anything?

Can someone tell me if I can do this? You'd save me an hour of sleep if I'm waiting up for nothing lol.

All I wanna do is pre order a 16GB in her name on Rogers.

Rev3rb

If I'm ordering 2 phones (for my girlfriend and I), do you think I'll be able to do it in one transaction or should I have 2 tabs open in my browser?

If you order from Apple, it will be delivered to your home on launch day, UNLESS they have an option for (Apple) store-pick up, which I don't think is very likely.

For the iPhone 4 launch, they did reservations on top of pre-orders iirc, but you probably don't want that. I reserved my iPhone 4 for in-store pick up and still had to wait hours to get it :(

I've never ordered via AT&T. I just don't trust them lol.

bonesquad

Yeah, if you order online I think your only option is to have it shipped to you. Which is preferable anyway. Previous experience says you'll still get the phone release day, if not a day earlier.

Ahh! What to get. I'm leaning towards black (had a white 3G, but black 4), and 16GB is out. Not sure if should stick with 32GB or splurge for 64...

Future

If you order from Apple, it will be delivered to your home on launch day, UNLESS they have an option for (Apple) store-pick up, which I don't think is very likely.

For the iPhone 4 launch, they did reservations on top of pre-orders iirc, but you probably don't want that. I reserved my iPhone 4 for in-store pick up and still had to wait hours to get it :(

Has apple been good about this in the past? I'd hate to preorder one, NOT get in on launch day, and see them available in stores that weekend, heh

thanks for the answers.

Guess it doesn't matter if it's AT&T or Apple, then. I'm assuming you don't waive the activation fee via apple.

guess it's time to patiently wait.

Cloudy

Banned

Sprint.com delivered to my house on launch day last year (4S). First thing in the morning too

ChanHuk

Banned

Got my iPhone 4 a day before launch through AT&T. If it came after the fact of launch I would call AT&T and see if they can give me some kind of credit on my account.

jcm

Can someone tell me if I can do this? You'd save me an hour of sleep if I'm waiting up for nothing lol.

All I wanna do is pre order a 16GB in her name on Rogers.

You need her phone number, her zip, and the last 4 of her SSN.

Cudder

You need her phone number, her zip, and the last 4 of her SSN.

shit, i dont have her SSN. :(

edit: I'm in Canada..

edit2: can I pre order it for her? if they dont need any of your account info when pre ordering, can I just use my info to pre order her phone, then when its ready she can do the upgrade on her account?

iammeiam

AT&T's website started screwing up for me around 11:30. The 'We're so excited!' countdown page keeps trying to redirect me to att.com/, and att.com/ is just a 501 error.

I hope the interface between AT&T's system and apple.com holds up so I don't have to deal with AT&T's crap website.

edit2: can I pre order it for her? if they dont need any of your account info when pre ordering, can I just use my info to pre order her phone, then when its ready she can do the upgrade on her account?

They're almost certainly going to want account info--if you're planning to order a subsidized phone, somebody needs to agree to that contract extension so it needs to belong to a valid account.

Piggus

AT&T's website started screwing up for me around 11:30. The 'We're so excited!' countdown page keeps trying to redirect me to att.com/, and att.com/ is just a 501 error.

I hope the interface between AT&T's system and apple.com holds up so I don't have to deal with AT&T's crap website.

Still working fine for me. :/

Top Bottom