• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

jcm

Can't decide on 16 or 32, my 4 is 32GB and usually full but I could probably address that by synching less music :/

The resell on the larger ones nets you so little it doesn't seem worth it. I just feel like it is full because I have that much space and even if it were larger or smaller it would be full still

I know what you mean, but I'm going 32. I don't generally stream music, and I hate not being able to fit my whole collection on the phone. Having to remember to add new stuff to the playlist that gets synced, having to remove stuff when I run out of room, picking and choosing, the whole situation is just a bummer to me.

Holy Wars

Banned
Even 64gb isn't enough to fit all my music, so if I can't fit it all I don't even see the point of trying to fit any. Streaming based future.

my wife - "Are we preordering tonight?"
me - "I was going to wait a bit to see what some of the other phones are like"
my wife - "Why are you going to wait? You know you're just going to end up with it anyway"

Dammit.....

The Chef

Well, now that Verizon's on the Share Everything program, I suppose maybe you could at least get the first phone through apple.com, but perhaps not add another as a new line.

Also, have you fulfilled your contract with AT&T? You might be looking at getting slapped with an ETF if you cancel.

I was 100% sure my contract was up but I figured after your post "Eh what the hell I'll give them a call." Turns out my contract ends Oct 15th so I dodged a bullet there. Looks like I'll just wait till then, which is kinda a bummer.

Thanks Juice!

Juice

I was 100% sure my contract was up but I figured after your post "Eh what the hell I'll give them a call." Turns out my contract ends Oct 15th so I dodged a bullet there. Looks like I'll just wait till then, which is kinda a bummer.

Thanks Juice!

<3

Izick

What makes you people choose the iPhone over other phones still?

I'm not trying to bait or be facetious, I'm honestly asking because I am going to be getting my first ever smart phone in the coming month or so, and it'd be between the Lumia 920, the GS III, and the iphone 5.

Clipse

I'm not trying to bait or be facetious, I'm honestly asking because I am going to be getting my first ever smart phone in the coming month or so, and it'd be between the Lumia 920, the GS III, and the iphone 5.
My iTunes library and the App Store.

The same reason people don't move to mac from windows and vice versa. Familiarity, quality, forward compatible apps, backward compatible with existing devices and more.

Izick

Depends on your usage and comfort with tech. The other platforms are certainly viable options.

I have no idea how I'm going to use it, which is actually kind of weird to think. I'm coming from a phone where all I can do is text and call people so it's hard to say.

Holy Wars

Banned
Would you still recommend the 5, over all other phones, to someone who isn't entrenched in any ecosystem?

People use iPhones because they like them, or they use Android cos they like it. It's sort of hard to just say which is better. Obviously people buying a iPhone enjoy the experience previous iPhones have given them and see no reason to change. There's a whole army of people that will tell you iOS is a piece of shit and the phones are prehistoric.

Your best bet is actually trying to go hands on with a few phones and see what you think.

gimmmick

If I use spotify majority of the time to listen to music, you think 16 will be good enough? (I take more photos than video majority with my cell phone storage isn't a big need for me).

key

So, is it even worth staying up tonight to pre-order online, or will the site be too slow from all of the traffic?

Edit: AT&T's site, by the way.

If I use spotify majority of the time to listen to music, you think 16 will be good enough? (I take more photos than video majority with my cell phone storage isn't a big need for me).

Do you play many games? They can take up a lot of space. I think I have like 16 gigs in apps alone cuz of that.

Yeah I'm debating that same thing too.
I stream almost all of my content, so 16GB seems pretty attractive to me.

Because I really wanted to be called sheeple and told to look at product feature/spec matrices by NeoGaf members!

jcm

I'm pretty deeply invested in the apple ecosystem at this point. Several macs, ipads, appletv, and iphones. Everything works really well together, and I can't imagine it would be as smooth with android or windows phones. Plus, android phones just seem like wannabe iphones to me.

I find the Lumia 920 really intriguing , though. If I didn't have so much Apple gear I'd be taking a long hard look at it.

Juice

is anybody with a grandfathered att unlimited plan pre-ordering tonight? google sent me to a gizmodo article (http://gizmodo.com/5943061/how-to-buy-an-iphone-5-without-losing-your-unlimited-data-plan) that basically said wait a few weeks and buy in-store

:(

Apple rep confirmed to me it'd be fine. I doñt know about you, but I trust a web form to do what I tell it to do MUCH more than an AT&T sales rep.

Edit: yeah, that article is wrong (AT&T users are getting a throttle increase from 3 to 5). Also, the reps are right in that in store they do it wrong half the time, as if by trial and error.

I've grandfathered this plan through 4 iPhones, 3 times through apples site. Each time you just have to be sure you elect to stay on the unlimited plan during checkout.

Aurizen

Do they usually sell out online? I always went in the store.

I think they will sell out online, maybe a lot of backorders or maybe just have to wait. but a lot of people I hear aren't impressed about so it might not sell much since its nothing huge of what other people was expecting, but i hope they drop the price lol

SuperPac

is anybody with a grandfathered att unlimited plan pre-ordering tonight? google sent me to a gizmodo article (http://gizmodo.com/5943061/how-to-buy-an-iphone-5-without-losing-your-unlimited-data-plan) that basically said wait a few weeks and buy in-store

I am. When the 4S came out they also sort of "hid" the unlimited plan choice at the bottom. But even before the limit was 3 GB - I got 2 texts from AT&T over the last few months saying I'd exceeded 3GB and to cool it or they'd throttle my data speeds.

Mairu

I asked my sister who preordered the 4S online last year and she said that was bullshit.

I'm preordering tonight but getting a little antsy about which addresses I need to change where. I called AT&T and Apple and they both said I did not have to ship to my AT&T billing address, so we'll see... ;|

I've been doing research for the past couple of hours on the 3 services for the iphone 5, and i still cant decide what i want to go with. I honestly dont make that many calls so i'm totally fine with having like 300-400 mins a month. I care about texting and how fast the network is. Sprint seems affordable and within my budget, especially the unlimited data plans. Can anyone tell me there experiences with sprint? and if i should go with them or not? Thanks

Aurizen

How could they? No one is selling it unlocked for at least a couple months.

I seen a giveaway on youtube this morning, when it releases it will be given to the winner, probably not unlocked but AT&T is GSM, so if that one is given away it could later be working on any carrier.

jcm

I've been doing research for the past couple of hours on the 3 services for the iphone 5, and i still cant decide what i want to go with. I honestly dont make that many calls so i'm totally fine with having like 300-400 mins a month. I care about texting and how fast the network is. Sprint seems affordable and within my budget, especially the unlimited data plans. Can anyone tell me there experiences with sprint? and if i should go with them or not? Thanks

What city do you live in? Sprint's service is pretty shoddy in a lot of places.

Yuripaw

Banned
So I'm thinking about preordering one of these tonight. My phone is eligible for the discounted upgrade, and I wanna get it through verizon. When they say they'll become available to preorder...do I go to my verizon account and get through their website? Never done this online before, and am wondering if their site will be updated at that time.

Juice

Well, seeing as Virgin is an MVNO on Sprint's network, I think you're probably best off avoiding Sprint if your Virgin is too slow.

Top Bottom