• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

Sullichin

Anyone have success getting an activation fee waived from AT&T? Bought 2 phones and it's annoying to pay $36x2 for pretty much no reason whatsoever.

If the Verge didn't get one that'd be pretty embarrassing considering how obviously whines they were about the phone on their stream directly following the hands on time. And most or the people who got one totally skipped the hands-on area...
The way verge was trolling every statement in the announcement it doesnt suprise me

Zeth

I don't think Snell knows what's up with the Verge.

I think Snell talked openly about expecting to get an iPhone review unit the week before on Macbreak Weekly, but I may be misremembering.

He did mention that. LaPorte has single handedly ruined several people's relationship with Apple now, including his own.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't think Snell knows what's up with the Verge.

I think Snell talked openly about expecting to get an iPhone review unit the week before on Macbreak Weekly, but I may be misremembering.

I dunno. Seems weird to give a device to somewhere like CNET (anyone even still visit there?) and ignore Verge and Macworld.

They must have pissed somebody off.

He did mention that, LaPorte has single handedly ruined several people's relationship with Apple now, including his own.
Guilty by association.

Zeth

No way. I'll have to see it to believe it. The coating can't possibly be some simple crust paintjob that can be scratched off to reveal silver underneath. :s

That report from the covert Foxxcon employee last week. His job was plugging holes with tape for a paint process, so yeah it's possible.

Bgamer90

Banned
You used to be able to, but Netflix removed the feature a few years ago because they are trying to steer their customers towards a streaming only model.

Anyone with a white iP4/4S? Does it keep its color over time, or does it get dingy?

The color of my 4S is pretty much the same to me... Had it for a year.

jts

...hate me...

apple-iphone-5-phone-review-13.jpg

I hope that slot isn't worn out, god damn it :-/

Zeth

Haha. LaPorte sent Ihnatko (chigaco sun times) this year, and he didn't get one. Pretty sure he did in the past. Apple is trolling LaPorte hard.

Edit: sorry for the slander, did he get one this year?

jts

...hate me...
If that's the best they've got I'm not concerned at all.

Also, HOLY SHIT THINNESS.
Yet, it looks thin as shit, and hot as hell. I'm still going to get the black one.

But holy shit will it hurt the first time I drop this phone and expose the aluminum. Like, really bad.

numble

Topolsky is going on a popular NBC show tomorrow night to show off the iPhone, I don't think they didn't get a unit.

Snell probably shouldn't be telling everyone he expected to be getting a unit. Even if everyone knows you have one, you're supposed to be NDA'ed and not say so.

Talon

Wait, what did The Verge do to get the snub? I thought they loved Apple, isn't Topolsky a bit of an Apple fanboy?
The Verge is pretty objective in my mind. They all use a mix of iPhone and Android. Topolsky has been on a Galaxy Nexus for a while. I agree with the general consensus there that Android's software has caught up for the most part and surpassed iOS in some measures, but they bemoan the lack of stock options. Although touchwiz isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

noah111

Still Alive
I don't buy this black scuff mark thing, more than one source would be reporting it by now. SCUFFGATE.
Yeah, I think it might be something really minor that they noticed under a certain light or something.. but if it is true, the white version would be superior. :s

iammeiam

And this is why it's always a good idea to have a day 1 case. This could wind up being a bunch of drama over nothing, but just in case I'll have something lined up to hopefully keep my phone pristine.

Probably should just suck it up and by an invisible shield of some sort

NYR

If you need a case just to protect the paint job, I'm out. Sorry, I'll be the first to admit I stay on the Apple bandwagon often and almost no matter what, but that is unacceptable product quality for something you move around a lot and stuff in and out of a pocket, just asking for it to scratch so easily.

A case should be optional, never mandatory.

The annoying thing is even when buying from the retail store at launch you don't get to see the phone in the flesh before you have to decide which SKU you want, you have to decide which one you want while outside in the line. Although sometimes blueshirts DO bring a demo model out to let people see. Hmmm...

Fjordson

Wow. That sounds pretty shitty if true.

If you need a case just to protect the pant job, I'm out. Sorry, I'll be the first to admit I stay on the Apple bandwagon often and almost no matter what, but that is unacceptable product quality for something you move around a lot and stuff in and out of a pocket, just asking for it to scratch so easily.

A case should be optional, never mandatory.
Honestly, I agree. I know I'm in the minority, but I've never had a case on my 4S and it still looks great.

I'll wait until I actually receive my iPhone, but I am contemplating returning one if this is true. I too don't use a case with any of my phones.

Worst thing you can do after buying a beautiful piece of industrial design is slap a fugly case on it.

I slap a nice case on it because I hate my phones getting scuffed when out and about and laying it on a desk and it sliding everywhere.

I tend to take it out of the case at my desk but I have a small microfiber cloth I place my nekkid phone on. I do the same thing at home. But when commuting? Case. Of course I gotta be careful w/ my case. I had an incase slider on my 3G that destroyed the back of the phone with nasty scuff marks.

Top Bottom