• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

5amshift

Banned
Still no regrets with going black. I am actually thinking about calling out of work on Friday and waking up early in hopes of NOT MISSING THE UPS DELIVERY. That's a good idea, right?

yami4ct

Now that I have to find another way to grab one at launch, what are the chances of me getting one at a Verizon store? If I got there a couple hours early, would I be able to grab one?

giga

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-review-18247708/

There’s also a low-light mode that promises a roughly two f-stop improvement in brightness and sensitivity by scaling down the end resolution and combining the data from four adjacent pixel clusters into each final dot in the frame. It’s similar to some of what we’ve seen Nokia do with PureView, though without the need for a vast, bulky sensor.
Hehehe.

I am going to assume anandtech review is going to be on friday.
More like October.

Vyer

*looks at pictures of white iphone 5*

*reads reviews*

.....got damn it. Fuck it. Sorry Nokia, I'm not interested enough to wait around.

although I haven't preordered, so I may end up waiting anyway lol

Zeth

Surprised at how tiny the lightning connector is. That thing looks much bigger on the Apple splash pages. Probably the macro photography without any reference point.

Wiz

One thing every reviewer immediately mentions is how LIGHT this thing is. Must be like holding a feather. Kinda scared it'll just slip out of my hands.

SuperPac

I'm kind of surprised that The Verge's review isn't up. Gruber, whatever, but no Verge or Macworld? :\

Apparently neither The Verge or Macworld got one. Which is weird since isn't Josh supposedly going on Fallon tomorrow night to demo one?

Gawd, I just opted to prepurchase the phone on Sprint. :/

$800+ with the taxes, activation fee and Applecare (I might send back the Applecare).

They're offering $300 for buyback value of my 4S. Hopefully, there's better buyback prices so at least the upgrade was $300ish, which is fine.

andycapps

Gawd, I just opted to prepurchase the phone on Sprint. :/

$800+ with the taxes, activation fee and Applecare (I might send back the Applecare).

They're offering $300 for buyback value of my 4S. Hopefully, there's better buyback prices so at least the upgrade was $300ish, which is fine.

Just curious, what delivery date are they giving you? 16 gb?

Vyer

I'm going to be out of town on Friday, too. Something tells me I'm not going to have much luck buying that day.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm kind of surprised that The Verge's review isn't up. Gruber, whatever, but no Verge or Macworld? :\

Apparently neither The Verge or Macworld got one. Which is weird since isn't Josh supposedly going on Fallon tomorrow night to demo one?
Hmmm, so who is on the list?

Or, rather, why are Verge and Macworld in the doghouse?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm having a hard time believing the battery life is this good:
Power is nothing without longevity and, shockingly, the iPhone 5 copes amazingly well. In a day of heavy usage with LTE, GPS and WiFi all enabled, we managed 14 hours and 18 minutes before the phone succumbed to the elements.

On our standard battery rundown test, in which we loop a video with LTE and WiFi enabled and social accounts pinging at regular intervals, the iPhone 5 managed a hugely impressive 11 hours and 15 minutes. That's just 10 minutes shy of the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx.

I'm going to need more proof before I believe that.

Talon

I'm kind of surprised that The Verge's review isn't up. Gruber, whatever, but no Verge or Macworld? :

Source?

Quoted from Pocket-Lint's review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review

Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.

These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your colour choice.
Fuck me

Vyer

I'm having a hard time believing the battery life is this good:

I'm going to need more proof before I believe that.

CNET seems to be pretty favorable as well:

We'll perform our formal battery tests in the next few days, but based on my week of using the AT&T Phone 5, results have been very promising.

The phone's lasted roughly the whole day each day, unplugging around 8 a.m. and engaging in a mix of calling, Web surfing, video playback, downloading, game playing, FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi and LTE, and even a little 4G LTE hot spot use via my MacBook Air. I unplugged the phone at about 7:30 a.m. one day, and it lasted until around 11 p.m. Another day, I unplugged at 7:30 a.m. and the phone lasted until nearly midnight. The battery life percentage tended to parallel the battery life of my iPhone 4S most of the day, while using the iPhone 5 a little more.

EDIT:

Another vote for white!

MacWorld editor Jason Snell:

FhenP.png

Bgamer90

Banned
Getting the white after reading the stuff about the metal wearing.

Was more than likely getting the white one either way though.

numble

Hmmm, so who is on the list?

Or, rather, why are Verge and Macworld in the doghouse?
I don't think Snell knows what's up with the Verge.

I think Snell talked openly about expecting to get an iPhone review unit the week before on Macbreak Weekly, but I may be misremembering.

mr2xxx

Banned
Got my verizon tracking info and is does everyone pay tax on the MSRP on the phone instead of the actual price of the phone?

Zeth

If the Verge didn't get one that'd be pretty embarrassing considering how obviously whiney they were about the phone on their stream directly following the hands on time. And most or the people who got one totally skipped the hands-on area...

KtSlime

Why is it that you still can't access your disc queue within this app? It has me baffled.

You used to be able to, but Netflix removed the feature a few years ago because they are trying to steer their customers towards a streaming only model.

Anyone with a white iP4/4S? Does it keep its color over time, or does it get dingy?

Top Bottom