• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 5

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I find it strange that they're not offering a Lightning cable with Thunderbolt support.

I guess they are waiting until light peak becomes standard

PC side it hasn't rolled out that much. Next gen light peak is a huge leap compared to where thunderbolt is today

I guess they are waiting until light peak becomes standard

PC side it hasn't rolled out that much. Next gen light peak is a huge leap compared to where thunderbolt is today

I understand why they didn't include one with the phone given that so few computers have Thunderbolt ports, but I would've liked the option to buy one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Coming from a different LTE handset, I've found most of the claims that you're going to immediately go over the bandwidth cap to be completely overblown. I track my usage both on phone and on Verizon and I've never gone over about 1.5 GB in a month. The reality is that very few people just sit there watching HD video after HD video solely on 4G. It's all theoretical from what I've seen.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
So this is like the previous iPhone, but with improved specs and in a different shell with a new OS. Color me shocked!

Engadget said:
facetime-comparo-2012-09-18-600.jpg

Fairly impressive upgrade to the front camera.

AT&T could've easily used the switch to LTE as an excuse to get rid of the grandfathered unlimited plan. Nothing forced them to keep the plan going even in a bastardized fashion. The contract I and others signed was for two years, and ended long ago. We would've had no recourse had they decided to end the "unlimited" plans. Now I don't kid myself; the only reason they did it was to keep users such as myself for fleeing to Verizon. Nonetheless, you're arguing semantics on a contract that doesn't technically exist anymore. Why not focus the venom on Verizon, who completely dismantled their unlimited plans?

Its not semantics to point out that their unlimited data is very limited in a very real substantial way. None of what you're saying is relevant to the point I'm making. I'm not bashing at&t out of venom. Simply pointing out the fact that throttling someone to useless speeds is a limit they placed on the effective use of their unlimited data plan. Which makes it....not so unlimited.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I understand why they didn't include one with the phone given that so few computers have Thunderbolt ports, but I would've liked the option to buy one.

Light peak will be different when optical launches, don't forget that.

There will be tons of confusion (with different usb and different light peak) thunderbolt connector might just be a one-off

Intel may still be pushing for optical light peak to be next gen USB

So this is like the previous iPhone, but with improved specs and in a different shell with a new OS. Color me shocked!
You make it sound as though anyone could have a reasonable expectation of anything other than this. Apple is not going to re-invent the wheel with a product that already dominates the market. It's strictly an iterative process at this point.

giga

I find it strange that they're not offering a Lightning cable with Thunderbolt support. Also, I agree with everyone here saying that the white version looks better than they thought. That being said I'll definitely be getting the black version.
The NAND used in these devices can't even saturate USB 3.0, let alone Thunderbolt.

KtSlime

I find it strange that they're not offering a Lightning cable with Thunderbolt support. Also, I agree with everyone here saying that the white version looks better than they thought. That being said I'll definitely be getting the black version.

It'd be overkill, by 50 times. In the future when flash gets faster, I could see them making faster lightning cables.

Edit: Beaten by giga.

Coming from a different LTE handset, I've found most of the claims that you're going to immediately go over the bandwidth cap to be completely overblown. I track my usage both on phone and on Verizon and I've never gone over about 1.5 GB in a month. The reality is that very few people just sit there watching HD video after HD video solely on 4G. It's all theoretical from what I've seen.

I hit my cap every month in the final few months I was unlimited. Between Skype, streaming music, and hundreds of emails per day alone. Then add a 4 Hour a day commute....

I ended up just ditching unlimited and adding tethering and paying the monthly difference. Its more money but my Data doesn't effectively get reduced to uselessness.

Walt Mossberg said:
Upgrading
If you own an iPhone 4S and especially if your carrier won’t let you upgrade yet at the $199 price, you may be content with just upgrading to the new software, which gives you a lot. But you’ll be stuck with the smaller screen, bulkier size and pokier cellular speed. If you own an older model iPhone, or are switching from another phone, however, the iPhone 5 is an excellent choice.

Fuck you walt i'm not made out of money ;_;

Light peak will be different when optical launches, don't forget that.

There will be tons of confusion (with different usb and different light peak) thunderbolt connector might just be a one-off

Intel may still be pushing for optical light peak to be next gen USB

They'll almost certainly have to rename Thunderbolt, or call it Thunderbolt 2, when the optical version of Light peak launches, but I do understand why Apple may not want iPhone users switching to Thunderbolt yet. That being said I still want one! I have this damn Thunderbolt port sitting around doing nothing.

The NAND used in these devices can't even saturate USB 3.0, let alone Thunderbolt.

Ah, that makes sense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hit my cap every month in the final few months I was unlimited. Between Skype, streaming music, and hundreds of emails per day alone. Then add a 4 Hour a day commute....

I ended up just ditching unlimited and adding tethering and paying the monthly difference. Its more money but my Data doesn't effectively get reduced to uselessness.

That's a pretty extreme usage pattern though. The vast majority of normal folks aren't using a ton of Skype, streaming music and hundreds of emails per day. I'm just saying, if you're complaining about unlimited, you should probably know what your actual use patterns are before you dismiss the caps as unreasonably low. Most people I've asked about this have no clue what they actually use.

Zeth

walt mossberg will say it's OK but wished for a larger screen.

Surprisingly, he preferred it to larger phones:

"I found the new iPhone screen much easier to hold and manipulate than its larger rivals and preferred it. In my view, Apple’s approach makes the phone far more comfortable to use, especially one-handed."

Bgamer90

Banned

"I found the new iPhone screen much easier to hold and manipulate than its larger rivals and preferred it. In my view, Apple’s approach makes the phone far more comfortable to use, especially one-handed."

Boom. What I've been saying all along.

That's not to say the screen can't be bigger. There's enough room for a screen that's about a half inch bigger (4.5" screen). There's still a decent amount of space around all sides on the iPhone 5. We'll probably see it in another 2-3 years :)

Reviews are all glowing. What a surprise.

Ugh it was a clear choice of black this time around but these new photos are making me second-guess!
Get black. Don't do this to yourself. The allure of the white is a false hope. The black one looks far better than it seems in certain pics. Watch the video review on engadget so you can see it from all angles. The light reflection makes it look worse.

Zeth

I suspect that black back panel doesn't photograph well especially in direct sunlight. But yeah the white looks awesome. Will get a white 5S for sure.

Reviews are all glowing. What a surprise.

Get black. Don't do this to yourself. The allure of the white is a false hope. The black one looks far better than it seems in certain pics. Watch the video review on engadget so you can see it from all angles.
I think you're right. Must stay strong!

giga

pocket lint (lol?): http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review
pogue: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/t...h-a-quibble-review.html?_r=0&pagewanted=print

The camera is among the best ever put into a phone. Its lowlight shots blow away the same efforts from an iPhone 4S. Its shot-to-shot times have been improved by 40 percent. And you can take stills even while recording video (1080p hi-def, of course).

Pogue also prefers black.

Let’s start with design. The new phone, in all black or white, is beautiful. Especially the black one, whose gleaming, black-on-black, glass-and-aluminum body carries the design cues of a Stealth bomber.

Biggest complaint is the connector change and adapter price.

That's a pretty extreme usage pattern though. The vast majority of normal folks aren't using a ton of Skype, streaming music and hundreds of emails per day. I'm just saying, if you're complaining about unlimited, you should probably know what your actual use patterns are before you dismiss the caps as unreasonably low. Most people I've asked about this have no clue what they actually use.

I didn't say the caps were unreasonable. I said that having caps w/ a throttle that makes your device essentially useless in regards to its ability to utilize data on an "unlimited" data plan makes it limited.

And I agree, my usage pattern is a fair bit higher than your average 800mb/month user. But that doesn't negate the fact that a cap does indeed exist. It's not some theoretical thing. With that said I'm still on AT&T and renewed my contract with this iPhone 5.

Zeth

Dalrymple is such a boss, lmao. Opening of his review:

When Apple concluded its iPhone 5 event in San Francisco last week, I walked past the hands on area where Apple had devices for press to use, and went to meet with Apple executives to get an iPhone 5 of my own.

andycapps

The white does look a little better, but the black is still the superior one for me. My wife will probably get the white one eventually.

iammeiam

Biggest complaint is the connector change and adapter price.

It still bugs me the didn't introduce the new connector with the iPad 3 earlier this year. Would have given everyone time to ease into the idea of the new connector before releasing it with the phone.

..and everyone in this thread mocked the hell out of me for saying the exact same thing.

LOL TINY HANDS

From one of those reviews:

Yep you'll have to order a new SIM for your iPhone 5 and, as the name suggests, it's tiny.

Um, if I ordered an AT&T iPhone 5 from Apple do I need to "order" a new microsim? Or does it come with one in the device?

yami4ct

So, looks like I have to freaking wait in line on launch day to get mine, What's everyone's experience with launches on Verizon? Do the verizon stores typically get enough phones to fulfill more than pre-orders? If I arrive like an hour or two early, can I get the model I want?

andycapps

11+ hours of battery life while running videos, wifi, and LTE radios on sounds incredible coming from my EVO. I can't wait until Friday.

andycapps

It's a fucking godsend coming from a Droid Incredible that eats batteries like they're hotcakes.

Yeah our phones are the same generation.. The processors back then were just battery hogs. The new Android phones are much better, but still.. I'm just glad that what I'm getting should get me through a full day of heavy usage. I'm used to having to top off my charge once a day. If not, I have to turn down brightness on my display, turn off mobile data, etc.

Rengoku

Are there any side by side photos (4s vs 5) of the improved camera in low light scenes? All the reviews talk about how much better the camera is, but they don't actually have any comparison photos.

dyls

I didn't say the caps were unreasonable. I said that having caps w/ a throttle that makes your device essentially useless in regards to its ability to utilize data on an "unlimited" data plan makes it limited.

And I agree, my usage pattern is a fair bit higher than your average 800mb/month user. But that doesn't negate the fact that a cap does indeed exist. It's not some theoretical thing. With that said I'm still on AT&T and renewed my contract with this iPhone 5.

Which data plan are you on?

Top Bottom