• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Just got my iP7+ delivered, looks sharp. I have a case on its way for it also.

What is everyone using for their front display protection in terms of stick-on temepered glass add-ons or soft applied protection? Really need to protect this phone as my last phone i had bad luck with lol (>.<)"

edit: found this one looks decent? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBTPHJ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I used the Anker tempered glass screen protector for my 6s+ and now my 7+. The include some stickers for super easy installation. $10 on amazon.

VoxPop

Just got my iP7+ delivered, looks sharp. I have a case on its way for it also.

What is everyone using for their front display protection in terms of stick-on temepered glass add-ons or soft applied protection? Really need to protect this phone as my last phone i had bad luck with lol (>.<)"

edit: found this one looks decent? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBTPHJ4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I never understood the use of screen protectors when the glass is extremely hard to scratch and doesn't exactly save it if it shatters aside from holding all the glass together. The back is a different story though. Love the naked feel but its also extremely slippery and I'm always in a subtle panic mode while walking and using it. Waiting on my peel case and a restock of the black/blue Plus Apple leather case though.

DOWN

Banned
I think I regret the black leather case. It looks great but I miss the brown leather I had pre-iPhone 6. Its past the 14 day return date so...

I never understood the use of screen protectors when the glass is extremely hard to scratch and doesn't exactly save it if it shatters aside from holding all the glass together. The back is a different story though. Love the naked feel but its also extremely slippery and I'm always in a subtle panic mode while walking and using it. Waiting on my peel case and a restock of the black/blue Plus Apple leather case though.

I enjoy the comfort of knowing, mentally, that I have something for it's first line of defense rather than nothing at all. Whether it actually helps or not, who knows, but I'm glad it's there.

I've been going protectorless since I've received the phone and have one on the way. I really like the feel of the bare screen so hopefully the protector doesn't hinder that. It probably will. My last one messed with the 3D touch some times.

RowdyReverb

So, AppleCare+ is $129 and there's a $29 fee for screen replacement.
Screen replacement alone is $129 without warranty.

I get that you could lose out if you seriously fuck up your phone, but if I keep a quality case on mine, AppleCare+ probably isn't worth it, right?

jts

...hate me...
Ah, darn, sucks for the iPhone 7 users. :/ It's a really nifty feature haha. I think they should still include it even though it'd be digital zoom.
You can always pinch to zoom. A zoom slider even pops up after that.

VoxPop

I enjoy the comfort of knowing, mentally, that I have something for it's first line of defense rather than nothing at all. Whether it actually helps or not, who knows, but I'm glad it's there.

I've been going protectorless since I've received the phone and have one on the way. I really like the feel of the bare screen so hopefully the protector doesn't hinder that. It probably will. My last one messed with the 3D touch some times.

Yeah doesn't hurt to have one.

This wait for jailbreak is brutal ):

Vyer

It can save it though. the day after I put a screen protector on my 6 for the first time I accidentally dropped it face down on concrete. I was so pissed. Screen protector was cracked across the front but when I took it off the glass underneath was still perfect. Pretty much sold me on the damn things that day.

mrkgoo

It can save it though. the day after I put a screen protector on my 6 for the first time I accidentally dropped it face down on concrete. I was so pissed. Screen protector was cracked across the front but when I took it off the glass underneath was still perfect. Pretty much sold me on the damn things that day.

It's really hard to say if the same impact would have shattered the actual glass screen though. No doubt it absorbs some of the impact, and perhaps would've stopped it, but there's no way too repeat that exact same drop to know for sure.

So, AppleCare+ is $129 and there's a $29 fee for screen replacement.
Screen replacement alone is $129 without warranty.

I get that you could lose out if you seriously fuck up your phone, but if I keep a quality case on mine, AppleCare+ probably isn't worth it, right?
Probably not since it is largely for peace of mind. I feel like a glass screen protector and a decent protective case would be good for most people and since these phones are supposed to be decently resistant against water that further lowers the chance of seriously damaging it to the point of needing a replacement device.

Vyer

It's really hard to say if the same impact would have shattered the actual glass screen though. No doubt it absorbs some of the impact, and perhaps would've stopped it, but there's no way too repeat that exact same drop to know for sure.

I mean, it spidered out from a point of impact on the screen. Not too mention it was broken up concrete, not a flat surface. No way to know for sure, true, but I find it hard to believe it would have made it out unscathed

I have been reading quite a lot of people experiencing the battery time is worse in their new iPhone 7/+ than in their previous phones. Anyone here got the same experience?

I ordered the iPhone 7+ just because the battery time was supposed to be much better so this is a bit worrying.

Juice

I have been reading quite a lot of people experiencing the battery time is worse in their new iPhone 7/+ than in their previous phones. Anyone here got the same experience?

I ordered the iPhone 7+ just because the battery time was supposed to be much better so this is a bit worrying.

IME of going through a new iPhone every 6 months and having a boatload of iCloud usage, a new phone will spend about 10 days pretty actively syncing photos and iCloud Drive (and who knows what else). This period has gotten longer each year and often causes my phone to run scaldingly hot at inopportune times. I get shit battery life until it subsides

Happens on every device. This Time was no different. Was getting ~6 hours at launch and now get ~12

IME of going through a new iPhone every 6 months and having a boatload of iCloud usage, a new phone will spend about 10 days pretty actively syncing photos and iCloud Drive (and who knows what else). This period has gotten longer each year and often causes my phone to run scaldingly hot at inopportune times. I get shit battery life until it subsides

Happens on every device. This Time was no different. Was getting ~6 hours at launch and now get ~12

ok, good to know.
Might be iOS10 as well a bit maybe?
My battery usage was absurd days after installing iOS10 on my iPhone 5S.

mrkgoo

I mean, it spidered out from a point of impact on the screen. Not too mention it was broken up concrete, not a flat surface. No way to know for sure, true, but I find it hard to believe it would have made it out unscathed

We'll never know :)

I've dropped my iPhone 5 from waist height onto tile like 3-4 times. Touch wood, I haven't broken my screen yet. MY wife drops hers from a foot high and it shatters.

I've had someone tell me they went rock climbing and dropped it, found it like 20 metres down, banged up, but screen was intact.

It really does depend on the kind of drop. Protectors have got to do SOMETHING, but exactly how much, I really don't know.

MrT

My DHL tracking number still isn't working. Order shipped on Friday 30th. Anything to be alarmed about?

Is it a 7 digit tracking number? The number I got for DHL turned out to be a container number not my actual phone. Downloaded a universal tracking app called Parcel that managed to find it for me and showed me it's journey from China to Amsterdam, then it arrived in my hands 2 days after that.

Ninja Dom

Is it a 7 digit tracking number? The number I got for DHL turned out to be a container number not my actual phone. Downloaded a universal tracking app called Parcel that managed to find it for me and showed me it's journey from China to Amsterdam, then it arrived in my hands 2 days after that.

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

I downloaded the app and as of yesterday it says 'Shipment Delivered'. I haven't received it yet. So I think that the tracking number I got is actually a container number. Hopefully it'll arrive today or tomorrow.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ordered a matte black iPhone 7 128Gb from Apple on Saturday, it arrived today.

It had an estimated delivery time of 2-3 weeks at the time of order.

I did not expect that.

Ordered a matte black iPhone 7 128Gb from Apple on Saturday, it arrived today.

It had an estimated delivery time of 2-3 weeks at the time of order.

I did not expect that.

They're appearing everyday at Apple Stores for same day pick up so it's not surprising. That's how I got mine a week ago. In a couple weeks they'll be readily available

I deleted my beta profile off my old iPhone before I did my last back up as I was paranoid that doing a restore from a beta iOS may cause an issue. Now that I have my iPhone 7 plus up and running I would like to play with the beta photo app. My problem is that I cannot remember where I got the link for the developers/beta profile. Could someone please help me out. Thank you

Garou

I deleted my beta profile off my old iPhone before I did my last back up as I was paranoid that doing a restore from a beta iOS may cause an issue. Now that I have my iPhone 7 plus up and running I would like to play with the beta photo app. My problem is that I cannot remember where I got the link for the developers/beta profile. Could someone please help me out. Thank you

https://beta.apple.com/

Matte black 7+ arrived yesterday.

I'm coming from a 6 so the battery life boost is amazing. It's coming up to 2pm (it's been off charge since 6.30am) and I'm on 60%. My photos are still downloading in the background and I've been using it a fair bit.

Home button is great, got used to it already.

Loving the bigger screen size. Although it's going to take me a while to adjust fully when in hand and I'll miss being able to do whatever I need one handed, video, photos, webpages are all so much better.

Runs very very fast. Noticeable difference from the 6.

Otherwise all else is the same it seems. Not really got into using 3D touch much mostly because I forget it's even a thing. Haven't tried the camera yet.

Just got my 128 gb matte black Plus in yesterday. It's beautiful. I love how fast everything is.

Regarding a case, anybody have any experience with Peel? I keep seeing them online and they look really nice. I love how slim their cases are.

Just got my 128 gb matte black Plus in yesterday. It's beautiful. I love how fast everything is.

Regarding a case, anybody have any experience with Peel? I keep seeing them online and they look really nice. I love how slim their cases are.

They get good write ups, I might try one out at some point. I've bought a Spigen Liquid Crystal one for now. I was about £7 on Amazon so worth a shot (and seems well liked generally too). My wife has one for her SE and it seems decent enough.

Mr Swine

Banned
Still nothing from my side, even called Halebop support chat and they have no clue how many and when they are getting a shipment. This is starting to sour my expectations for the iPhone 7 plus. I probably should have just gotten a iPhone 6S plus instead

New Apple Patent Describes Fingerprint Sensor That Could Work Through Display

The United States Patent and Trademark Office today granted Apple a patent that describes a Touch ID sensor which could effectively detect and read a user's fingerprints through other components of the smartphone, "such as display stacks and touch screens" (via AppleInsider). While going unspecified, the technology aligns with the current rumors for the iPhone 8, which is expected to eliminate the Home Button for good and integrate various pieces of the smartphone directly into the display, including Touch ID.

My 7+ already seems like a piece of shit.

robotrock

Banned
I cannot wait for this. We already have raise to wake, seems like the home button's days are truly numbered. Except I guess what is the easy way to get "home" if the fingerprint sensor works through the screen? The Force Touch on the side to go into multitasking?

probably just press the the bottom 1/8 of the screen or something.

I wonder if the screen is going to get longer vertically. kinda don't want them to move away from a 16:9 screen.

probably just press the the bottom 1/8 of the screen or something.

I wonder if the screen is going to get longer vertically. kinda don't want them to move away from a 16:9 screen.

I feel like the screen would have to be longer or else you'd lose usable space with an invisible home button taking up a portion of the screen. Unless the last 10 percent of the screen or so doesn't allow force touch for anything but going home.

They get good write ups, I might try one out at some point. I've bought a Spigen Liquid Crystal one for now. I was about £7 on Amazon so worth a shot (and seems well liked generally too). My wife has one for her SE and it seems decent enough.

Oh good to know they've got positive reviews. I'll probably end up getting the black case through them. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
All these rumors of the integrated display are very interesting, though it feels like we're a little farther away from it happening than they estimate. Though I think the home button changes clearly point in that direction.
I think it's actually happen next year!

Top Bottom