• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Spent an afternoon with an Iphone 7. Very disappointing upgrade relative to the 6S, it boggles my mind that some people actually upgrade yearly.

I think we have reached the point where yearly upgrades aren't interesting anymore.

I agree with this, not worth the upgrade from the 6S, but I'm on the yearly iPhone upgrade program so it doesn't matter for me

But the camera zoom is fantastic

Skilletor

My 7+ gets here today.

Switching from android to iPhone for the first time ever. I have an ipad and ipod, so I'm not new to the OS or ecosystem.

Loved the note 7, but with the battery shenanigans, figured I'd try something new. My wife is really excited because of apple's messenger app, lol.

How excited she got when I mentioned I might get an iPhone is what really sold me. :p

Ordered an S1 watch that'll be here tomorrow. Go big or go home!

derder

Just got my 7+. Coming from Google Nexus after 5 years. Can't seem to get my Android Wear watch to pair. Is this a widespread issue?

ESBL

Spent an afternoon with an Iphone 7. Very disappointing upgrade relative to the 6S, it boggles my mind that some people actually upgrade yearly.

I think we have reached the point where yearly upgrades aren't interesting anymore.

The jump from an S to the next iteration is never a big jump. 5S to 6 was only because it was a bigger phone really. 4S to 5, again it was just a bigger phone. 6S to 7, well you got a better camera and a lack of a headphone jack.

That being said, USPS somehow got my iPhone to T-Mobile in 3 weeks and they processed my trade in, got $400 for an iPhone 5C. Good deal to me, otherwise I wouldn't of switched from my 6S (Which I still have).

number11

Coming from the 6, this phone is super quick. Touch ID is instant.. The decision to press the home button to unlock kinda makes more sense now.

jts

...hate me...
Oh fuck, you guys ... wireless headphones surely are the future ... but my damn $ 15 selfie stick plugs into the headphone jack for taking photos...
I bought one, as cheap as any, that came with a bluetooth shutter instead.

#gitgud

Just got my 7+. Coming from Google Nexus after 5 years. Can't seem to get my Android Wear watch to pair. Is this a widespread issue?

which watch do you have? Not all of them are iOS compatible..

The Huawei watch is, but the OG moto 360, for example, is not.

Anybody been using a 12w charger to charge their 7+?

How much quicker does it charge?

Have also read that using the 12w can damage the battery long term?

NYR

Anybody been using a 12w charger to charge their 7+?

How much quicker does it charge?

Have also read that using the 12w can damage the battery long term?
I do. It is quicker to charge and it does not cause any damage, Apple markets it to charge iPhones as well:

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter

Featuring a compact design, this power adapter offers fast, efficient charging. It also charges iPhone and all iPod models.

Any claim of damage is likely hearsay from some guy running his mouth on a forum, or using a phone pre-6. You can read more tests here in this thread but just believe me, it charges faster. One could argue "fast charging" in general will degrade battery life, but in the same sense, Li-On batteries aren't designed to last forever either, so it isn't a concern unless you plan on keeping the phone 5-10 years and not replacing the battery, and even then, if you are doing that, you have bigger problems to deal with in life. :)
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-watt-vs-5-watt-charger-on-iphone-6-plus.1785460/

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/23/how-to-charge-iphone-quicker/

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

the 7+ camera was a big enough reason to upgrade from the 6s+.

generally I've burned pretty good through a battery in a year too, so saving that cost, plus selling the phone, usually makes the upgrade not too expensive. maybe a couple hundred bucks more over 2 years than just upgrading every 2 years.

and considering my phone is certainly my most used computing device and camera, I think it's the best piece of tech to upgrade frequently

NYR

Has there ever been such a shortage at launch as there is with the 7+? Still on 3-4 week delivery from Apple :(
Yep. Every major new release/re-design is like that (4,5,6,7). The s models aren't as bad, unless it is a new colour.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have never been happier with a phone. Today I got my 7+

Holy fucking shit at all of these things.

Ninja Dom

That's me. And you see me in every new iPhone thread every year.

Yes I went from the 6S to the 7 and I will admit that this is the most underwhelming update from going from an 'S' model to the next years new numbered model.

In fact, going from a 6 to a 6S was a bigger step. 8mp camera to 12mp camera, 3D Touch, front screen flash on camera, 1GB Ram to 2GB Ram.

In defence of the 7, the jet black is the sexiest looking iPhone yet. I can't stop admiring it. The screen display is sharper. The camera is more improved over the 6S and the front camera is now 7mp and shoots video at 1080p.

But yes it's one of the most unimpressive upgrades in the main iPhone line up - and Jet Black is just so sexy!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When is bokeh depth of field due?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
When is bokeh depth of field due?
It's in 10.1, which is in public beta right now. Probably 2-3 weeks out from final release.

On the upgrade topic, I went from a 6S to 7 and I love it. I play a lot of games on it and the performance and speed bump just for loading times is significant so I'm very pleased with it. I'm one of those that upgrade yearly regardless though.

Spent my first day with my iPhone 7+, and I am really happy with it. Coming from a Nexus 5, this is a seriously fast phone, and has outstanding build quality. It really does feel lovely to use and hold. Battery is great too; I am currently on 35% and it's been used throughout the day for messages, browsing, downloading, podcasts etc. Happy with that, but anything is better than the wrecked battery in my N5, that needed 3 charges a day in the end!

So far, very happy.

Don't know if I'll keep the transparent Spigden case, might try the soft black one out.

Uhh,

- Much more powerful CPU/GPU
- Water resistance
- Stereo speakers
- Wide color gamut display (best display ever tested)
- MUCH improved camera (with 2X optical on plus)
- Virtual home button with haptic feedback
- Tweaked design with no antenna lines
- New colors

Sorry, but what the fuck were you expecting, since we've known for a long time that it would have the same general look and feel? What is so "mind-bogglingly" disappointing about this upgrade, in the context of all other phone upgrades that are in most cases much more minor? The iPhone 7 is a significant step forward on several fronts, and I really don't know what you wanted. We all knew a massive redesign was not coming this year, but everything else is pretty impressive and note-worthy. We've become so spoiled and entitled, to the point that we spit on significant annual improvements that are unheard of in any other industry. And people like you that complain can't even bother to specifically state that is missing or what they would have realistically wanted.

DirtyLarry

I came back to iOS for my phone after being on Android for 4.5 years. Got my iPhone 7+ about a week ago now. I had an iPhone before that for a few years, and I have had an iPad the entire time, so it is not like I am not used to iOS. I use it daily at work on the iPad and for personal use on my iPad Pro.

I just miss the clickable Home button and still after a week miss it, which is ironic as neither of my last two phones had clickable buttons at all. It just seems weird on iOS not having that tactile button I am used to. And that is all it comes down to. I am used to the old button. I will eventually get used to this new one.

Otherwise I love the iPhone. My biggest thing is everything is just a tad simpler on iOS and a tad more integrated. Just a tad mind you, but it does make for a more cohesive experience overall is the best way to put it.

Mind you I had very specific reasons for going back. I use my iPad Pro daily for drawing, and the ease at which I can share reference photos and/or anything I do on the Adobe mobile apps is just a much tighter experience now for myself. Especially on the reference photo side, AirDrop just makes it so easy now to share those photos with my Macbook or iPad Pro. It is literally the sole reason I decided to go with an iPhone, and in that regard I am fully satisfied with my decision.

Uhh,

- Water resistance
- Stereo speakers
- New colors

Sorry, but what the fuck were you expecting, since we've known for a long time that it would have the same general look and feel? What is so "mind-bogglingly" disappointing about this upgrade, in the context of all other phone upgrades that are in most cases much more minor? The iPhone 7 is a significant step forward on several fronts, and I really don't know what you wanted. We all knew a massive redesign was not coming this year, but everything else is pretty impressive and note-worthy. We've become so spoiled and entitled, to the point that we spit on significant annual improvements that are unheard of in any other industry. And people like you that complain can't even bother to specifically state that is missing or what they would have realistically wanted.
I'm not sure these are "upgrades". The antenna lines...maybe. But barely.

I can see why 6s > 7 doesn't feel like a jump.

Think you need to go from 6 > 7+ or pre6 > 7 to get that "okay this is a step change" feeling.

DarkJC

The 6S > 7 upgrade is a series of nice improvements but the 6S is still a fantastic phone. I personally had a 6S and took the opportunity to jump to the Plus models with the 7.

Definitely not a required upgrade, but I sell my old phone from the previous year and just pay the difference for the new one. They hold their value super well.

Also, like someone else said earlier, Jet Black is sooo nice. 2 weeks in and I still can't stop admiring the feel. The other unexpected improvement for me I'm really enjoying is the taptic engine, I just love the feedback I get while using the phone.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
My order just changed to "Preparing for shipment". Excite. I'm going from a 6 to 7+ so I expect a big jump. My body is ready.

I think moving from a 6S Plus to a 7 Plus was a great upgrade. I'm only paying $5 more a month to go from 64GB to 256GB as well! Totally worth it

I occasionally get the message "Could not activate mobile data network". It looks like it's happening when the cellular drops from 4G to 3G. I tried resetting Network settings but it occasionally happens still. Anyone else get this?

Yoshichan

Holy fucking shit, what the fuck is going on?

I put my 3.5mm earphones in the adapter to listen to some music but it BARELY fits. Like, my 3.5mm is so tiny compared to the adapter, as soon as I gently move my head, the sound glitches and the cable will even remove itself from the adapter.

Wtf is going on?

Vyer

Holy fucking shit, what the fuck is going on?

I put my 3.5mm earphones in the adapter to listen to some music but it BARELY fits. Like, my 3.5mm is so tiny compared to the adapter, as soon as I gently move my head, the sound glitches and the cable will even remove itself from the adapter.

Wtf is going on?

What brand are they?

I've tried the old apple ones and an older bose set and they click in pretty securely. I've had no trouble just leaving them on as an extension of the 3.5 cable with no problem.

Yoshichan

What brand are they?

I've tried the old apple ones and an older bose set and they click in pretty securely. I've had no trouble just leaving them on as an extension of the 3.5 cable with no problem.
Creative, the half expensive ones with like three different ear thingies :/

VoxPop

Got my peel case for my Plus just in time for my flight. It's actually a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Simple with no branding and super slim. Would recommend!

Owari

Ever since I upgraded some of my iMessages won't send to certain contacts. Really weird. Also, my watch can't figure out who to send messages to sometimes for some reason. Never had so many messaging issues. Should I call Apple?

Anyone else have an issue with Predictive Emojis not showing up? On my wires SE, if you type, say, Dog on the keyboard in iMessage, the dog emoji shows up on the predictive row. This doesn't appear to work on my iPhone 7 (running latest iOS).

Anyone else?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Anyone else have an issue with Predictive Emojis not showing up? On my wires SE, if you type, say, Dog on the keyboard in iMessage, the dog emoji shows up on the predictive row. This doesn't appear to work on my iPhone 7 (running latest iOS).

Anyone else?
Engage the emoji keyboard and get the orange word replacement/overlay once and see if that helps for the future predictions to show up automatically, had to do that myself.

iFirez

I upgraded from a 6 to a 7 (plus on both). I usually do the whole 2 year cycle thing. I feel like the speeds of the 7 plus the quickness of the unlock as a Touch ID user is much improved but I heard all of these things were in the 6s. I'm feeling the cameras are better and the new home button with 'Taptic' feedback is quite nice. I'm not sure it's a nesessary upgrade at all, I'll be interested to see what Apple do next year as it is a 'big year' in the history of the iPhone.

Engage the emoji keyboard and get the orange word replacement/overlay once and see if that helps for the future predictions to show up automatically, had to do that myself.

Thanks. I tried that and it hasn't kicked them in to start working. Looking at Mac Rumors site, it appears I am not the only one with the issue on iPhone 7. My wife's SE is doing it no problem.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hi Guys got My iPhone 7 and I love it. I managed to transfer all my apps through iCloud since I forgot my encrypted backup password. Is there a easy way to transfer all videos and pictures from my old iPhone to the new one?

Hi Guys got My iPhone 7 and I love it. I managed to transfer all my apps through iCloud since I forgot my encrypted backup password. Is there a easy way to transfer all videos and pictures from my old iPhone to the new one?

iCloud should transfer all videos and pics automatically from a previous backup

ronco2000

Uhh,

- Water resistance
- Stereo speakers
- New colors

Calm down, sheep.

btkadams

I finally got the phone and the restore from iCloud backup says estimated 2 hours... is it seriously unusable for 2 hours now??

I finally got the phone and the restore from iCloud backup says estimated 2 hours... is it seriously unusable for 2 hours now??

iCloud restores go in two stages. Stage number one is however long it takes for that bar to go across the screen. And yes, it can't be used in that time. Stage two is when it gets to the home screen. The phone can be used but it's not done downloading all your apps/photos/etc, and continues restoring when you're on wifi. That can take a looooooooooong time depending on how much stuff you have

btkadams

iCloud restores go in two stages. Stage number one is however long it takes for that bar to go across the screen. And yes, it can't be used in that time. Stage two is when it gets to the home screen. The phone can be used but it's not done downloading all your apps/photos/etc, and continues restoring when you're on wifi. That can take a looooooooooong time depending on how much stuff you have
fuck lol. thank you though!

Top Bottom