• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
XjKqHBJ.jpg

I actually like this new haptic feeling on the Home button and the feedback on some of the actions you do. Downloaded and installed 10.1 but haven't tried portrait mode.

Mr. RPG

Is anyone else experiencing the hissing problem? It is so loud that I can hear it during phone calls. It's so annoying.

I'm thinking about returning it for a Google Pixel... I'm so tired of dealing with these issues. :(

usctrojan

Anyone determine if 10.1 and it's accompanying firmware changes bring the intel modem version of the 7 back up to Qualcomm par on speeds at lower reception?

I'm excited to try when I get home and or decide if I'm going to exchange or not (on vacation another two days). This matters to me since my apartment has crappy reception.

Ninja Dom

Jet Black owners, how are your micro-abrasions??

I've got a few, nothing too serious. On the back at the lower part on the back of the phone. Front is clean though.

ibu

I've got a few, nothing too serious. On the back at the lower part on the back of the phone. Front is clean though.
I have not one... this is two weeks in mind. I must note I have it wrapped up in a Spigen case though. So that's why. Case is fairly bulky however.

ntropy

i had mine for over 2 weeks with no case, and nothing on it -- except for fingerprint maelstrom

Fliesen

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ite-iphone-7-headphone-dongle-dac-kickstarter

S1kFfYq.png

looks like a really neat solution to the "charge and listen" dilemma.
there's even a version with a 24 bit DAC.

It's a Kickstarter, so beware. Not endorsing this product in particular, but it makes me optimistic that third parties will jump in and compensate for the removed headphone jack, with some even creating solutions that should output better audio quality than the original headphone jack might have been able to.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ite-iphone-7-headphone-dongle-dac-kickstarter

S1kFfYq.png

looks like a really neat solution to the "charge and listen" dilemma.
there's even a version with a 24 bit DAC.

It's a Kickstarter, so beware. Not endorsing this product in particular, but it makes me optimistic that third parties will jump in and compensate for the removed headphone jack, with some even creating solutions that should output better audio quality than the original headphone jack might have been able to.

now THAT's more like it (for those that need it)

looks so much better than the stupid dongle things.

mf.luder

I too was going to head to the Apple Store tomorrow and grab airpods.

I can only hope that the delay means they are rethinking volume control.

negitoro7

Local store finally has a black in, but it's 32GB and 128GB is what I had my eye on. I reserved it for now, but still deciding. Will I regret going with 32GB? I don't store a whole lot of music and movies on my phone, and don't take lots of videos.

Red

Local store finally has a black in, but it's 32GB and 128GB is what I had my eye on. I reserved it for now, but still deciding. Will I regret going with 32GB? I don't store a whole lot of music and movies on my phone, and don't take lots of videos.
You can probably manage. Also consider the space you use for things like podcasts, apps, and audiobooks. Keep in mind Live Photos will take up more space than stills. How much storage do you use on your current phone? If it's consistently below say 25GB then you will probably be fine.

negitoro7

You can probably manage. Also consider the space you use for things like podcasts, apps, and audiobooks. Keep in mind Live Photos will take up more space than stills. How much storage do you use on your current phone? If it's consistently below say 25GB then you will probably be fine.

Welp, I picked up the 256GB in matte black :p
How's the official apple silicon case for drop protection? Should I return it and get a Spigen?

jts

...hate me...
I'm so disappointed. Maybe they're retooling them to account for playback/volume controls? It's getting mentioned in EVERY review nonstop
It can be but that could always be rolled out in a software update. That TC article that announces the delay mentions that the AirPods exhibit a buggy behavior that is forgiven for not being final product, but I'm sure it wouldn't be acceptable for wireless buds retailing at $170.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No case on my Jet Black Plus, just like always.

Yep, it scratches like crazy. I don't baby my phone, but I also don't abuse it. I'm not going to set it on sand or rocks or stone tables. I've never dropped it. I don't pull it across a surface. But, I do toss it in my work bag or throw it in my pocket with my keys on occasion, etc.

Seriously, under direct sunlight, it's covered in micro abrasions.

Very similar to the black iPhone 3G after a month of use. Honestly, though, doesn't bug me much at all - in indoor light or just using it, nobody would really notice unless they were inspecting it.

THAT SAID - this screen is VERY prone to scratching, it seems. I've had an iPhone, 3GS, 4S, 5, 5S, 6 Plus, 6S Plus, and now the 7 Plus, and have NEVER used a screen protector after the first model. Never had a scratch.

Day two I had a scratch on this one. A week later, another. And now, after a month, I have three. They're small. You have to look for them. The phone is still 100% usuable and most wouldn't notice if they borrowed my phone for 10 minutes. But, the screen is absolutely more susceptible to scratches than any phone I've had before in the last several generations. I've taken keys, intentionally, to previous phones to demonstrate the lack of need for a screen protector. Never thought they were worth it - I could TRY to scratch my screen and fail. Not here, though.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just received my black iPhone 7. I was in heavy doubt between the jet black and the piano black, but as soon as I took it out of the box I knew I mad the right decision. The matte black finish looks awesome and infinitely better than the space grey on my iPhone 6.

The home button feedback is really, really nice too. It's such a bizarre sensation, feels like I'm clicking the entire lower half of the phone when using it, but it works really well.

Unfortunately as with pretty much every phone transition I've done, restoring via a backup didn't work whatsoever, so aside from contacts on the SIM and photos in iCloud I had to manually download every single app I've been using and set up everything like Safari bookmarks from scratch.

And putting all music back up is going to be a nightmare, it's gonna take me all weekend to sift through that garbage-tier iTunes to copy stuff back to the phone.

Just received my black iPhone 7. I was in heavy doubt between the jet black and the piano black, but as soon as I took it out of the box I knew I mad the right decision. The matte black finish looks awesome and infinitely better than the space grey on my iPhone 6.

The home button feedback is really, really nice too. It's such a bizarre sensation, feels like I'm clicking the entire lower half of the phone when using it, but it works really well.

Unfortunately as with pretty much every phone transition I've done, restoring via a backup didn't work whatsoever, so aside from contacts on the SIM and photos in iCloud I had to manually download every single app I've been using and set up everything like Safari bookmarks from scratch.

And putting all music back up is going to be a nightmare, it's gonna take me all weekend to sift through that garbage-tier iTunes to copy stuff back to the phone.

Do you still have your old phone? Safari bookmarks are one of those things that can be moved over even without a backup. Everything that you can check in the iCloud section of Settings can be synced even if you set up as new

tariniel

Quick question: If I order the 7+ "Sim Free" version, could I just pop the Tmobile sim out of my 5S and use it? Or would I need to do something else to get it going, like take it to Tmobile?

Also, a friend is telling me I should wait to upgrade since next years iPhone will have OLED and it will be the last 'yearly' iPhone update - is there any truth in this? My 5S is starting to show its age and I'm antsy to upgrade to something, even if it's just a holdover for a year. I have to charge my phone 3x a day, siri doesn't work half the time, and the top-left of the touchscree only registers about half the time (which is where the back button is on pretty much every app).

It just sucks the waits for every phone are so long. I've even been looking into some android phones.

Top Bottom